How would you feel if your in laws talked about adult business in front of your kids?

How would you feel if your in laws were talking about the shooting that happened in Kansas during the parade and saying how somebody died in front of your 5 year old?.. well this happened to me last night, they always seem to talk about stuff like that in front of my kids. It makes me upset, not the right place or time to be talking about it. When we got home my son said “mom I thought parades were meant to be fun not were people die” … I immediately told him they are fun, just something very sad happened at this specific one.

4 Likes

That’s not technically adult conversation to most. I started reading thinking they were talking about actual adult thing like xes.

2 Likes

This is the world we leave in, sadly thing like this happens and even small kids need to know what to do when things like this happen. We hope they don’t.

1 Like

My 6 year old watches the news with us well he’s In the room playing when it’s on so he hears about everything

1 Like

If it’s something they was well known, then your kid could hear about it anywhere. Best thing is to be ready to answer questions and reassure.

1 Like

Kids cannot be shielded forever. I can assure you they will hear it somewhere. Better with family than on the streets

Some things are not appropriate especially at 5. As they get older they will be talking about shooting, they will talk about things. But not a 5 year old. That a shame that the in laws did that. I would have a convo with them. My son at 5. I never talked Liked that ever. It’s not there age appropriate. When he was in kindergarten they never taught that in school, the only drill they had was a fire drill or tornado drills that it.

Talk to them and tell them that’s not appropriate for a young child to hear about and no need for them to either. Tell them you don’t appreciate/want them having adult conversations in front of the kids. Your spouse needs to back you up on this too since it’s their parents.

I never really shielded my daughter from world news. Like it or not, they start active shooter drills in kindergarten.

However, If people started having adult conversations with other adults when my daughter was around that I didn’t want her a part of, I would consider it my own responsibility to remove her from earshot.

19 Likes

Death should be ok to talk about in front of children. It’s a part of life. Bad things happen. Don’t shelter them. It helps them build mature feelings.

2 Likes

I feel like it’s apart of life. I wouldn’t be offended but I wouldn’t highlight it. I don’t think it hurts to be aware at any age. In the world we live in in kids shouldn’t necessarily be sheltered from things like this, it can happen to anyone at anytime. Everyone is born to die, that’s our only guarantee in life, it shouldn’t be a taboo subject. I think you handled it appropriately.

What works for one doesn’t the other.

I don’t sugarcoat things for my daughter. She needs to know that it’s not always rainbows and sunshine! I want her to be prepared.

You know what let your kids grow up in the real world , do not shelter them , but do explain at age appropriate level

8 Likes

Why shield them from real life. Parades are fun, a lot of things in life are fun, but that doesn’t mean bad stuff can’t happen. I wouldn’t leave it to my in laws to talk my my kids and real life stuff. I talk to them as their parent. And answer any questions they may have.

4 Likes

I think it’s a bad idea to shield kids from bad things that happen. It’s a good idea to be honest and explain things in an age appropriate way.

4 Likes

Don’t shield them in a bubble and explain in age appropriate ways so that it’s not a huge emotional stressor when they do hear about it. It’s unfortunate that they have to be subjected to the horrors that happen but they will hear about it and start drills for how to handle active shooters in school as young as pre k and kindergarten. They may have to experience death of a loved you eventually as well. Better you talk to them appropriately about it than someone else.

2 Likes

Have you had a conversation with them and telling them you don’t want them have those kinds of conversations around them?

u cant keep them from bad things all the time. its not the end of the world when tjey tapknabout things that happen. kids gonna grow up thinking nothing nad ever happens and when 8t does its gonna traumatize them as an adult cause how sheltered they were/are. :woman_shrugging:t2: things happen and there nothing u can do about it. just gotta explain that to them the way they can understand.

Honestly, maybe it’s just me, but I wouldn’t mind… I guess I just never kept my kids from knowing things that were going on in the world

I think you handled his question well. Unfortunately children can’t stay innocent forever and we shouldn’t completely shield them. Otherwise they will not have the resilience to handle the things they encounter in years to come.

4 Likes

It’s the real world… teach them now vs being oblivious to their surroundings later. Bad things do happen.

Theyre going to hear about things you cant protect them from that and you shouldnt. I made the mistake of sheltering my daughter too much and now things scare her more than they need to and shock her.

I’d put my foot down and draw the line.

Adult conversation is for adults. Kids grow up fast enough without us adding to that.

Either they respect it or wait for you to send the kids from the room first - either way, advocate for your children and MEAN IT.
Leave. EVERY time: if they don’t respect it.

4 Likes

It’s the world we live in today. Can’t put your child in a bubble and expect them to go out and function in society.

Lol you cant shield them and ack like things are always perfect. Im sure thats not the only place they heard that from or will hear that…
You could of removed your kids from that room or got their attention on something else. So you cant blame just them it would also be your fault.
Dont be the type that raises kids to grow up clueless in life

You handled it well with your kiddo but I would have something to say to those in-laws. Some things are just not appropriate.

I mean at 5 in kindergarten they are taught about sheltering in places and what to do if someone with a gun comes to their school so not a big deal to me.

Don’t hide world news and current events
They will find out sooner or later
They may not understand
So it’s up to parents and grandparents to have open conversations

Momma, when you realize what kids talk about in texts, Google Class Chats and SnapChat, that conversation will be tame. Yes, grade school aged kids.
He’ll hear things. He’ll see things. Explain in an age appropriate way. He can’t live in a bubble and kids aren’t stupid. Even if you don’t talk about something, they’ll probably hear abt it somewhere else. I can understand not liking it at a kids specific event, but, if he’s the only child around, adults are going to talk about things. Keep him occupied in another room. We didn’t hang out with the adults so us hearing their topics rarely happened.

In the world we live in… don’t shield your child from the shit going on. Instead teach them what to do. It wasn’t that long ago that a small children’s were shot in a school shooting…