How would you feel if your MIL gave your kids a sippy cup?

Sometimes I like a sippy cup for outdoor purposes. Wouldn’t let it ruin your day

I’d laugh because mine are not babies. And we didn’t always see eye to eye because she’s my ex mother in law. But honestly, she’s a good person. And despite any differences, she’s always been amazing to my kids. So a sippy cup? That’s so petty it’s ridiculous.

2 Likes

Her house, her rules. Get over it it’s not hurting anybody. All grandparents have their own ways that the parents don’t agree with. If all the world had to worry about was a sippy cup it sure would be in a better place.

I give my grandson a cup with a lid at my house and in the car. If the only cup with a lid was a sippy cup, he’d be drinking from that. It won’t hurt him. It’s important he stay hydrated, I want to lessen the chance he spill something on his clothes or my furniture. The fact that you are making a choice of cup, into a respect issue, leads one to believe there’s more resentment than you are acknowledging and this is not just about a cup. Be careful the conversation you’re having in your own head regarding this issue.

Not care. It’s a cup meant for drinking.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be mad however you’re entitled to your feelings. If it’s something that bothers you just have a calm conversation with your mother in law about it and just ask her to respect your wishes.

My kids had a baby bottle withh honey milk in for years after they stopped drinking out of bottles x didnt bother me nor the kids x infact they kids loved it :laughing:

2 Likes

My mom will give adults sippy cups lolol she does not play around with spills.

9 Likes

I would feel grateful that my mil is helping with my kids. Quit complaining. You are just ungrateful.

This is really what we’re gonna argue about?

If this is all you have to worry about, you are one lucky Momma! Don’t sweat the small stuff! 

3 Likes

Unless your kid is throwing a fit about getting pick your battles not going to kill them to get a drink out of the sippy cup if the kids throwing a fit take the lid off and say grandma he she’s big enough to drink regular cups how about 6 and 7 year olds come to my house and grab a sippy cup just for the heck of it not the end of the world

I feel like letting your toddler dehydrated is worse than giving him a sippy cup. :woman_shrugging: if you JUST switched she probably doesn’t have cups with lids and waterbottles yet. Most older people only have glassware. I’d give a sippy to prevent spills until I got new cups too.

1 Like

I’m 37 and wish I had a wine sippy cup…. Calm down and pick your battles. :woman_facepalming:t3:

Pick another hill lady…

It would depend…if she did it because that’s what she had and it was portable or something for an outing I wouldn’t say much…if it was just for dinner at her house I would remind her that we don’t use them or get up and pour it in a regular cup

Kids get a little more excited at Grandma’s house and spills are predictable with the heightened activities. My grandkids used sippy cups a little longer at my house then their mothers and nothing was said. It’s called respect!

1 Like

I wouldn’t care. It’s not going to kill them

1 Like

I don’t understand the problem . What’s wrong with supply cups?

Reduces her stress by not dealing with accidents and spills. I use to do that also. Saved my furniture and carpet more than once.

Mine your business cause they don’t wanna keep cleaning up a mess it’s not always a regression

3 Likes

It’s a cup. I work in a retail store and sell thousands of different cups. Kids and adult cups. They are all the same. If you hate it that much then go to Walmart and buy them “water bottles” for grandmas house. Even though it’s no different. They all have lids.

4 Likes

Tell me your a control freaks without telling me…

1 Like

I wouldn’t give a shit it’s a cup.

We use sippy cups our whole life, what do you think those Stanley cups are🤣 but yeah there’s nothing wrong with this

12 Likes

It’s literally just a cup.
My daughter is 4. Dosent use them at home( she leaves it in the kitchen or living room) but at her grandparents house because it allows her to freely leave it wherever she wants without worrying about it being spilled or knocked over while playing.

You’re making a mountain out of a molehill. I wouldn’t care honestly. Maybe she does it for they don’t spill anything.

3 Likes

Way bigger issue in this world I would accept it and move on now if you say we are potty training and she ties him in the same diaper all day yeah you have a right to flip your lid but this is petty move on life Is to compacted already

Because it is a set back for the child, I would give it back and suggest she get them a cute big boy/big girl cup.

2 Likes

Honestly I wouldn’t care if the kids didn’t care. It’s a sippy cup, it prevents spills. I had one of those Sassy grow up cups as an adult to leave on my end stand for my water because the kids kept spilling them. Did I need one? No. Definitely not lmao. Did I enjoy tf out of not cleaning up messes? Yes. They were thrilled we all had the same cups too. Mine was the tall version. It’s just a cup and you gotta decide if that’s a fight you want to have.

8 Likes

No biggie, just don’t use it if you don’t want to but I wouldn’t make an issue out of it.

1 Like

I’d say thank you for giving our child something to drink.

She may not want a mess in her (or your) house. This is not harming your child. Thankfully, you have a MIL that is involved in your child’s life

If you’re fighting for your right and are more focused on “respect”, “my child my rules” ov3r a sippy cup, then you’ve got a lot of growing to do as a parent. And you will. Motherhood starts with the mama bear role and figuring it all out. We all start off wanting intense control and my way or the highway mentality. But ,You have a lifetime to go with your mother inlaw. I promise you this, one day you’ll sit with her and you’ll reminisce about your babies together. You won’t be worried about the sippy cup

2 Likes

Seriously not a big deal. Find a different reason not to like her :unamused:

Keeps then from spilling drinks everywhere. This is a battle I wouldnt fight

13 Likes

When my mother was alive, I would get pissed about everything she did with my oldest. The unbalanced meals, random shopping trips, the staying up late eating sweets and bending of mom’s rules…… what I would give to hear my youngest say “we ate cake for breakfast!” Or “look what Wela got me”…… pick your battles sister, one day it will all just be a memory……

I have a cupboard full my grandbabies all use them I don’t want juice dumped on my carpet

She is probably trying to prevent a mess. Her house, her rules.

She probably doesn’t want spills in her house, it’s not a big deal!

Sometimes they don’t want to deal with the potential spill. When I noticed, I took the sippy cup away and gave them a real cup or took the lid off in front of them. Then proceeded to say, we don’t need these sippy cups anymore because we’re a big boy/girl now! Make it a positive thing and for the child and learning for grandparent. In a case of a parent watching your child this will always happen in some form… it’s the grandparent and sometimes they will do what they want. If it’s not hurting them, don’t make a huge deal about it, especially if they are doing it out of love for your child.

2 Likes

If it’s her house she might not want spills. I made my teenager use a cup with a lid on it because he was always spilling his drink.

I would be thankful I had a MIL that would babysit but that’s just me.

I still drink out of one to avoid spilling on my good furniture. Lol. I wouldn’t complain, alot.of us don’t even have a MIL who cares if our kids drink. I’d leave it alone

Was it at her house? Maybe she didn’t want juice spilled everywhere? But even at that just give water out of a normal cup then. I’d be upset but as stated above maybe there was a reasoning she had or something. What about a water bottle? Maybe try and compromise?

If it’s her house and she doesn’t want stuff spilled everywhere that’s her prerogative. My mom used spill proof cups with my kids way later then I did. She didn’t want spills everywhere

2 Likes

I’m 64 and I still need a lid :rofl:because of spills

1 Like

Fight another battle? Also the amount of people that actually use water bottles and such are basically using adult sippy cups. It’ll be fine.

2 Likes

Oh shut up - maybe she didn’t want your kids to spill their drinks

1 Like

If it’s my house my rules now if she doing it to save her house from spills or stains fine but her house her rules as long as she still respects me if not they don’t go to grandmas with out me present to do the parenting

1 Like

Who cares what they drink out of
You have your rules and she has hers

It’s fine. She doesn’t want spills. Not a hill I’d linger on

I would not be annoyed, ESPECIALLY if it were in her home, some people prefer this to save the child spilling, pick your battles… this is one to leave alone

She probably didn’t want them to spill their drink. I give my 4 year old a sippy cup sometimes. He can drink out of anything and it did not slow his progression on growing up.

1 Like

Is this for real?! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Be grateful, she is helping you? Maybe she doesn’t want to clean a sticky mess? Maybe it’s about just enjoying the child. Don’t be so militaristic.

2 Likes

If you don’t like them having sippy cups at Gramma’s house, then maybe you should provide her an acceptable substitute that they can’t spill their drinks. I think this is being petty.

I’d feel like she didn’t want to deal with inevitable spills.

I think some woman just thrive on creating issues with their MIL’s.

I bought my kids cups with lids and straws to use at at my mom’s.
They too old for sippy cups but those give some level of protection for her hardwood floors and carpets.

Like these but summer prints from the dollar store:

2 Likes

:woman_shrugging: for the longest time mine only got water in open cups. Would a straw cup be a better compromise? That way it’s not a sippy and she isn’t getting drinks spilled in her house?
But really adults use Contigo, Stanley and whatever other water bottle is popular and those are pretty much spillproof sippy cups for adults.

Hell, you would have a fit about my MIL than. My kids don’t even know the word no there. But it’s grandma & she loves spoiling them.

Well let me say this, it would be nice if your mother in law respected your wishes. But let’s be honest a lot don’t… not all. Depending on your relationship with her and what you want it to be in the future you can decide if this is the hill you want to die on so to speak. But I say hey you give them and inch they take 10 miles….

Don’t let any of these mamas tell you “there is bigger things to worry about” well NU UH you wouldn’t say? If the mother of a child tells you NO the answer is NO. stop justifying “grandmas house” as an excuse. Especially if someone is trying to break a habit. And yeah you’re right she should be grateful she has a caring MIL or FIL ect. She never said she wasn’t. But yall gotta stop acting like peoples feelings arent valid. It may not be a big deal to you but it can be to others. Like I said above. It’s your rules and your child if you’re trying to break that. They should except it. If I told any of my family members MIL FIL BIL SIL ect a rule I have or anything to do with my child they WILL respect it. And they would never go against what I said ever. Because they didn’t birth. MY KIDS. Y’all are quick to give your family any kind of excuse to get away with disrespecting your authority and wonder why your kids don’t respect nor listen to you. Because they can act and do whatever they want at “grandmas house” NO. Stick to your gun and who cares if everyone thinks it’s not a big deal. Are they your child’s parents I didn’t think so.

It cuts down on spills! When my mom was alive i was terrified of my grandson spilling at her house

2 Likes

My mom gives my oldest (almost 6) a 360 sippy cup for in the vehicle, or to take in my old room at her house to watch YouTube with. I personally don’t even care. I get it. Grandparents don’t want to limit their grands to the kitchen table, they like being fun. But also don’t want to have a big spill to clean. I totally get it.

Was it at her house or yours because if it was her house she gets to decide if ur very young child can be trusted with a drink in her home. You might trust ur kid with ur stuff but that don’t mean she has to. If it’s at her house she could just say oh since child can’t have a sippy then maybe child don’t need to have anything to drink.

1 Like

She might just be doing it to prevent unwanted spills. I’ve done that!

I mean if it’s her house it’s her rules she doesn’t want to deal with a potential spill

I’d open it and make sure it was clean! So many people don’t clean sippy cup lids the right way I always check the lid parts!

It depends on the age of the kid. If they are older then I can understand the kid being upset about it, but the grandparent could have a reason for it. If they just don’t want anything spilled and are wanting something leak proof maybe tell them about the different kinds of sippy cups. There are some such as the 360° cups that look like regular cups and not like a baby cup. Are they mean people who are going to cause a complex or some other issue later down the line or are they good people that only have the 1 issue? If it’s the later then I would say pick your battles. If it’s the first then I suggest doing what my parents did and make it so you only saw them on holidays. My grandparents are all gone and while we had a bad history with one set, my paternal grandparents where the best grandparents in history. I miss them deeply and with they could have met all of their great grandkids because they would absolutely adore them.

I’d be happy she gave them a drink period.

Get them the ones that have a straw but is still spill proof

Maybe she doesn’t want them spilling on her floor :woman_shrugging: pick and choose your battles…

I would think it’s not a big deal.

If you don’t like it, then buy whatever cups you want her to have and kindly say, “we aren’t using sippy cups anymore, so here are some cups to keep over here “ :slightly_smiling_face: we quit using sippy cups, and went to straw cups. I took some extras to grandparents house to keep there!

Really Not a big deal :person_shrugging: why be upset over something so small. Let it go. Pick your battles kinda thing

If you have taught your children to walk around with drinks… and spill etc… maybe she is giving them sippy cups to preserve her furniture and carpet that you have no respect for the work that went into obtaining those items.

1 Like

I have bigger problems than that .

How old is the kid and what are you calling a sippy cup? There’s a lot of context missing here. I don’t allow kids to have open cups in the living room but I’ll let them have cups with a top on it. It’s not that serious of an issue.

Is a tumbler not an adult sippy cup? Lol. Pretty sure a cup is a cup and wanting no messes is not something to be upset about. I agree with others, pick your battles and this isn’t one of them.

I would pick my battles, let this one go, and be thankful a MIL wants to be part of your kids lives. It’s a sippy cup it’s not that serious :flushed::roll_eyes:

We have grandparents house grandparents rules, our house our rules… This prevents unnecessary arguments…

A cup is a cup. As long as your child was able to have something to drink. :thinking: kids these days lack family in their little lives because of petty fights like this.

Maybe she is just trying to keep them from accidentally dropping and spilling what they are drinking. Be Kind.

Depends, like does kid spill alot? Then sippy is understandable

I’ve seen the big kids get sippy cups too it’s a spill thing not an oh lil baby thing lol

I wouldn’t care bc it’s her home and if you’re not there it’s her having to clean up the spills. Also it’s her things getting spilled ON. Just choose you battles.
“If it won’t matter in 5 years, don’t give it more than 5 minutes of your energy”

Stick to YOUR rules at home and let grandma grandma at hers :heart:

Not a hill I would die on personally

Like she didn’t want to risk a spill on her watch. Let it go. Small issue.

1 Like

I’d assume she just didn’t want my kids spilling drinks. Wouldn’t really be a big deal for me

3 Likes

The only answer is to freak out and start a huge family fight over said sippy cup. Maybe ban your MIL from ever seeing your child again. :woozy_face::rofl: just let it go. It’s not that serious. This isn’t a fight worth having. Be thankful that you have someone there to help and love your child because so many do not have that.

It would depend on the circumstances. Drinking something that might spill and stain a carpet? No worries. We keep cups with lids and straws around just to ensure our grands don’t spill their drinks. If I didn’t have those, I’d probably pull out sippy cups. I love those kids dearly, but every one of them is an accident looking for a place to happen🤣

4 Likes

Please don’t sweat it. Grandma’s mean no harm. When my grandbabies come over to my house, my daughter will let me know what they can and cannot have. If it something that’s fairly innocent and won’t hurt the kids, I’m gonna be that grandma that gives in to the kids! A grandma’s life!!!

This honestly cannot be real!

I’d be telling her visitation was revoked until she respected the PARENTS wishes.

2 Likes

I could see if she were giving them bottles. But I don’t think I’d care about the sippy cup. If it bothers you, buy the cups you want them to drink out of and leave the cups at grandma’s. But honestly, it’s probably to avoid having to clean up spills all day long.

Really??? If that’s the worst thing she ever does, then count your blessings.

2 Likes

Send cups with them. I would be annoyed too if I set a rule for my child and it wasn’t followed.

4 Likes

Pick ur battles. Not worth the argument