How would you feel if your MIL gave your kids a sippy cup?

How would y’all feel if your mil gave your kids a sippy cup after you told her they no longer drink of one

85 Likes

Pick your battles my friend

1 Like

I’d be grateful for a mother in law that’s in your kids lives.

185 Likes

Perfect ! If it’s my house, my rules

2 Likes

If it’s all she had no biggie. Just remind her and get her cups to keep at her house that you specifically use.

I wouldn’t care. My best advice….pick your battles and be grateful you have a support system.

17 Likes

It’s not the battle to fight. I get it but don’t die on the hill over a cup

3 Likes

I have no problem with a sippy cup…after all, I love my custom tumblers! (Adult sippy cups)

3 Likes

I would think it would be a non-issue!! There are certainly much more important things in this world to be upset about. I would just be glad to have a MIL that wanted to be with my kids.

3 Likes

It’s okay they will know they only get it at grandmas house.

I give my bigger grandkids cups like sippy cups when they are here so I want be cleaning up spills all the time

When I had my first child I would drink out of her sippy cups if she had something good. & I was 18 :joy: As long as it’s not a baby bottle, I wouldn’t worry.

1 Like

My 16 year old wanted one, we got her one, mickey mouse clubhouse🤣

3 Likes

Take it and say thank you, but don’t use it if you don’t want to.

My kids GMA used to give them coffee in their bottles, and boy did we fight over that, then she just started letting me drink it from her cup. I hated it bc she also used so much sugar in her coffee. It didn’t stunt their growth tho, my son is 6’4” I wouldn’t of even battled her over sippy cups lol

I might remind her they don’t need it, but it wouldn’t a big deal. If my MIL was still with us and gave my 7 year old a sippy cup, I’d tell my 7 year old to drink from it bc id assume she just didnt want them to spill any drinks. :rofl:

39 Likes

Who cares honestly, let her be a grandma you can be the parent.

8 Likes

Granny here, when I had number of grands at my house having fun I used any non spill cup I had. Even when they are old enough to drink without spilling they sit them down and if knocked over no big mess.

56 Likes

Was that all she had on hand?

Maybe shes containing a possible mess? Just trying to be helpful? Shes in your littles life, and keeping the little one happy- thats great!

3 Likes

Definitely annoyed but I would try to keep it to myself and say something like, “oops! This is the wrong cup. Let’s switch real fast.”

1 Like

Atleast they’re hydrated…

3 Likes

I think you should really pick and choose your battles :laughing:

3 Likes

It’s one of those pick your battles kinda things. My mom does it too because she allows those in her living room and bedrooms. It’s only when they are with her so it’s not a big deal to me. I used to get super itritated about it. But ultimately they know thats a “grandmas house” kinda thing, cause they are spoiled rotten with her. Maybe buy her some straw cups for her house and ask her to use those instead if it bothers you that much. They are only little for just a little while, although they are to old for them and drink fine from a regular cup. I promise they will look back at those memories fondly of her. Just let it be her thing.

65 Likes

Id feel grateful for that being the biggest problem in my life! My MIL has never even acknowledged my kids so yeah pick your battles!

20 Likes

The first time or two I would give a gentle reminder like hey my kids drinking out of normal cups now, but if it persists, then being more assertive about it would be appropriate.

I’d pick my battles, and be thankful for a MIL who is present in my kids’ lives. Maybe be a little annoyed, but not enough to give it too much attention. Just remind her you don’t want them getting sippy cups. Remind her every time if you need to.

2 Likes

Make her drink out of one too! :rofl::rofl::roll_eyes: :woman_facepalming:t2:

Well if it is in her home and she wants to prevent spills then I’d say pick your battles

12 Likes

What’s the big deal its a sippy cup,5 yrs from now it won’t matter,lifes too short

23 Likes

Does having a sippy cup affect the child’s teeth at all after a certain age? My only concern would be potential damage due to using the wrong cup but if that’s not a thing then why not I suppose :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Nothing wrong with it at all.

4 Likes

Who cares… LOL be thankful she’s spending time with them. My MIL could give my daughter a pacifier and I wouldn’t care​:joy::woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

My kids loved drinking from sippy cups at grandmas after I cut them out! I didn’t care, because they knew they didn’t get them at home. But realistically with the millions of different types of water bottles these days, what’s the real difference?

39 Likes

Id feel nothing at all. Maybe she’s trying to prevent spills.

This is a silly battle to choose.

13 Likes

It wouldn’t bother me to the point of saying something. I would however get her some small kid friendly cups and a gentle nudge!

1 Like

She probably doesn’t want to be responsible for a mess :woman_shrugging:

Might be easier for your mother in law. Is it really that bad, or do you just need something to talk about?

1 Like

Be happy my child had a drink to be honest.

3 Likes

Choose your battles. Not everything requires attitude or a fight. It’s not the end of the world or a big deal either. I honestly can’t believe this is a question. How old are you?. Just be grateful your kids have people in their lives that love them.

10 Likes

Don’t sweat the small stuff :heart_hands: It’s just a protective cup that probably saves a lot of spills. Your child will soon tell his/her grandmother if they don’t want to use it. My 11 year old still uses his sippy cups at nans, it’s a novelty to him :heart_hands:

4 Likes

Maybe she is concerned with spills. Could you get her some cups with a lid and straw instead?

3 Likes

Is there some harm that can come from using a sippy cup? I’d be more worried about what’s in the cup to drink.

6 Likes

Look Kayla Nicole Elliott another one complaining about their MIL :joy::joy:

Be happy she gave them something to drink!

I would feel like it’s her house and she can do as she feels necessary at her house. This actually did happen to me. My kids drank from one at her house until they were like 7-8 because she said it was to prevent spills. I thought it was strange, but that’s why I didn’t do it at my house. That’s her house.

5 Likes

Bigger battles to fight :roll_eyes: it’s a cup.

3 Likes

There are women and children being murdered in Israel. I think a sippy cup is the least of your worries. Put it into perspective and be grateful your child is healthy, alive and has a loving and safe environment to flourish in.

10 Likes

Or maybe have her replace it with some other type of cup with a lid ( think coffee travel mug) so long as it doesn’t have a spout that they have to stick in their mouths. This would still be a step forward but prevent some potential spills.

1 Like

Life is over as we know it.

1 Like

I’m 33 and now I wanna sippy cup :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Amazing the things people find to b*tch about

1 Like

I would tell her again . If she gets an attitude tell her that they’re your kids and you’ll raise them how you want and if she can’t follow your rules then don’t visit her for a while till she starts askin why then tell her.

2 Likes

I’d be like, oh shit, thanks for giving my kid something to drink. Thanks for being around. Love you.
But that’s just me

1 Like

How old is the child? Is it because she doesnt want anything spilt? Im definetely a mom that gives a sippy cup lomger than i should bc of spills. Water bottles and those special cups foe our coffees and what not are just adult sippy cups in my opinion. Send the cup youd want them to use? Idk

1 Like

I just have to say as a grandmother we are used to having a clean house and know from experience that spills are a mess and cleaning is harder as we age so don’t be mad at her just tell your children only at grandmas it’s ok. Then everyone is happy.

13 Likes

Maybe you should suggest the kids keep their cups in the kitchen so there is no spills
Grandparents just want to spend time with grandkids … playing , cooking and making memories . It might be easier for her not to worry about spills

Try suggesting things first before you get upset ……
Communication can help a lot of these issues .

glad there drinking . … get some cups you think is suitable for there visits and leave them at nans too help her out - but baba is drinking well done nan .

1 Like

She probably is not wanting to clean up a mess honestly🤷‍♀️

Wouldn’t care unless she has them an extended amount of time often. If it’s just here and there visits, while irritating I chalk it up to grandparent spoiling

8 Likes

There’s bigger things in life to worry about than a sippy cup. :woman_shrugging:t3::woman_shrugging:t3:

11 Likes

How old are they? Are they old enough not to soul anything on her floors or furniture?

I used them for my kids to cut down on messiness and spills

She probably doesn’t want a mess. Does it have to be an issue? Or do you think she’s doing it out of defiance?

3 Likes

Crazy to even ask such a question in my mind. She gives them a sippy cup. Whoopsie doo​:woman_shrugging::sweat_smile:. Is that the worst thing she could ever do?

2 Likes

First child- Omg rage how dare she! Every kid after- do as you please. I appreciate you. I appreciate your help. I’m grateful for the time and love and care you put into my children.

30 Likes

It’s your responsibility as a parent to send the correct cups for your children then. If that’s the rule then send the correct ones with them. Hopefully they are spill proof because I’m sure it’s a concern and probably why she’s using sippy cups.

3 Likes

Even after my girls were off the sippy any time they were with my mom and dad they had their own sippy cup to drink out of. At the time I felt my kids shouldn’t use them anymore. Life is too short to be upset over it. After losing my dad suddenly I’d give anything to go back to those days of trivial matters.

1 Like

They won’t be drinking from a sippy cup at 12 I promise

1 Like

Life goes on. Maybe she just doesn’t want to clean up messes. Or maybe just uses the cup because its still there. Just be grateful she wants to be in their lives.

She raised your man so he must be ok enough if you still call her your mother in law lol. Pick your battles honey, this aint one of em but there will be plenty.

4 Likes

I’m team anything with a lid :rofl: I know my kids.

Odd man out here BUT it would depend on how long ago we stopped sippy cups
My kids were off bottles at 1 and off sippy cups at 2
If ANYONE gave them a sippy cup right after we cut them off I’d be pissed because they would be setting us back
Would I make a big deal out of it?
No, I’d simply remind them we’re over that stage and it’s time to toss them

1 Like

Be grateful she’s helping you. It’s just a sippy cup. Maybe she’s worried about spills.

Lol do we not drink out adult sippy cups :sweat_smile: why is a kid sippy any different?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t care. My MIL is a clean freak. She actually gave them normal cups when they were 1 and I would switch it to a sippy cup. My oldest is and always was an will be clumsy. She’s now 16, she drinks out of sports bottles or straw cups. Just the other day she went to a fancy diner with her BF and his family, she ordered a drink. Normal cup and she missed her mouth, white cami now has a red stain. Takes after her dad and my mil. At home she mainly drinks from straw cups unless it’s milk. Same with my youngest 14f. It’s just easier, less mess. Also no worries about a glass getting broken.

I’m 40 and still have my sippy cup everyday. I pray my sons don’t give me a daughter in law like this. One of my biggest fears

18 Likes

I have two kids 16 and 9 when my youngest is sick and laying down I still use a sippy cup so she can hydrate and not worry about spills or sitting all the way up the rest of the time she uses a normal cup I also day care from babies to 4 and 6 years old and use suppie cups or cups with lids to avoid spills otherwise I would be cleaning spills and shampooing rugs and couches daily nothing worse than sticky floors or sour milk smell on your couch it’s a useful tool and has nothing to do with age rather than containing liquids and avoiding mess maybe look for a cup with a lid that closes that you feel is more age appropriate that you can leave with MIL :woman_shrugging:

I really don’t see the issue of a sippy cup? If it was a pacifier I could see the issue. But my first though process was she isn’t trying to have them spill any drinks anywhere? … this sounds really petty to me.

Pick and choose your battles. Maybe she doesn’t want an accident on her couch or floor

1 Like

Chill tf out she made sure they was hydrated

2 Likes

I mean if it’s in her home and she doesn’t want it spilled you can’t be mad at it…. It’s not that serious

7 Likes

My mama does still with my 6 yr old because he takes them into the living room. and I wouldn’t want him to spill (which is why she does it too). If they’re outside or at the table or something he has a regular cup. So I don’t sweat it when the sippy comes out.

Give her cups you approve of if it’s an issue. Otherwise I don’t blame her for not wanting spills.

4 Likes

I would feel ok. And I would sleep ok too…lol personally it’s not a big deal. She’s probably worried about spills. If it is, and you don’t want them using a sippy cup then get some more spill proof cups for her to keep at her house.

1 Like

When my grands were little I.fed them what I wanted and gave them drinks (no soda unless special occasion). My daughter was grateful. One thing she didn’t have to worry about after a 16 hour work day. Be thankful

3 Likes

Ticked. I’d say something to her again. My mom and my mother in law went rounds on this year’s ago. Mom listens better though lol. I have 4 children and I stand my ground no matter who it is.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t care cuz I’m sure she just doesn’t want them spilling on her floor or furniture. It’s not that big of a deal. If it was a bottle I would understand but sippy cups can be used for all ages

1 Like

I’d say no thanks do you have another cup. If she said no then give them it and going forward, bring their own?

If the kids are at her house maybe she wants to prevent spills? If not I’m not sure why anyone would do that

As long as they will drink from one and weren’t upset about it, I’d be grateful she gave them something to drink when they were thirsty. She’s probably just trying to avoid spills.

6 Likes

I grew up spoiled rotten by my maternal grandmother and wished my kids had that. My mother spoiled and spent a lot of time with my sisters kids and none with mine. Let grandma spoil them.

“We don’t use those at home anymore, Thank you though. The kids could still use them over your house sometimes.”

It’s just a sippy cup. Sometimes I still use a sippy cup too. Mainly when I don’t feel like doing dishes, but it’s still enjoyable :rofl:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t care less honestly

1 Like

Maybe your MIL gave your kids a sippy cup so they don’t spill. Be grateful that she is in your kids lives. Pick your battles.

2 Likes

No disrespect but A LOT of you guys need to learn how to pick and choose your battles better. These posts get funkier and funkier. It’s not a big deal. Get over it. It’s a cup. She doesn’t have small kids anymore so why would she want spills everywhere?

7 Likes

Maybe it’s to protect her stuff from spills?

2 Likes

No mess no stress. I get it but then again it’s your mil and she isn’t there long.

I still put my grandson’s (9) water in a travel coffee cup at bedtime.
If it cuts down on spills and makes them feel comfortable and cared for, why the heck not?

2 Likes

I don’t see why it matters. It’s not like they’re getting the sippy cup all the time at home. Once in a while won’t hurt. My 5 year old is the oldest grandbaby and he prefers to use a sippy whenever he’s at my mil’s since he sees all the younger ones using one. It makes him feel special. He completely skipped sippy cups so this is the only time he ever uses one.