I am 32 weeks pregnant and measuring smaller than normal: Is that normal?

So I’m 32 weeks tomorrow, but when I went to the doctor today, she measured me like always, and I measured 29 weeks? But all the times before that I’ve gotten measured, I measured 3 to 4 days further then what week I was. So I have an ultrasound for next Friday to see why? Anyone ever deals with this, and everything is fine with the baby

4 Likes

I wouldn’t stress love. I was measuring small so got extra growth scans- baby was in the 20th percentile & is now in the 95th percentile. (3 weeks ahead) if they don’t seem worried, I wouldn’t be. I got worked up but thankfully all is okay. All the best mumma x

My little girl I had same thing! She had placenta growth restriction! They did ultrasound every week and stress tests! With no Steroids for her lungs She was born at 37 week 6 days and was 4 lbs and 8 oz… she had no issues at all!! Hang in there mama!

1 Like

My daughter had to be delivered early because she measured too small all through my pregnancy. I had growth scans twice a week in the last month of my pregnancy! I now have a small for her size but otherwise extremely healthy 4 year old.

My second measured small. They took a look via ultra sound and he seems to be developing well. He was born healty at 7lb 4oz. I think i was just carrying differently the second time around.

1 Like

I was always measuring 4 weeks behind or so. My belly was tiny my whole pregnancy. My daughter weighed 7.5 pounds and was perfect. Shes now 4 months and growing perfect

1 Like

Both of my girls measured small and I went full term with no complications. Just listen to your body! You got this mama :heart:

Girl it’s probably just fine :two_hearts: your baby probably will end up having a huge growth spurt & catch up ! :slightly_smiling_face: I know how scared you feel. I just had the same happen with my pregnancy. I am 8 months along now but when I was 25 wks along , I measured 2-3 weeks small :frowning: but once I got to 29 weeks, my baby was all caught up ! My ob told me it’s normal for that to happen especially in 2nd pregnancies. Wishing you the best !

I had the same thing with my daughter she was 5’14 and she is still only 4 foot 10

Don’t stress! When I was in my thirties with my first she did the same thing but everything checked out just fine! She was born on her due date on her own at a healthy 6lb 8oz and is now a chunky monkey at 18 months.From my understanding he/she might have just been laying a different way.

She measured you, as in the fontanel measurement? That measurement is always so tricky. If you eat a lot before, you’ll measure big, empty stomach, measure small.
I always measured bigger, because I’ve always been chubby. And my last few weeks I measured small.
It’s good they scheduled you an ultrasound to double check. But I’m sure it’s absolutely nothing to worry about.
And just a heads up, my babies measured BIG in the ultrasound. 10 pounders. They both came out under 8.

It could be a million things most are not bad but stressing yourself out is just going to make things worse if they thought it was bad they would have done more tests that day

2 Likes

We had extra ultrasounds throughout my pregnancy because our daughter measured small. Turns out she’s just little :woman_shrugging: perfectly happy, healthy, developmentally normal 1 year old. Don’t stress out about it. The next ultrasound will help you learn what’s going on.

One day at a time. Stress can cause problems, so just pray about it and put it in God’s hands.

I was measuring 2 weeks behind for a while and now I’m measuring 2-3 weeks ahead so it could be nothing :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

My first measured really small in the womb they were saying 5lbs and did an emergency ultrasound. He came out a week late (induced) at 7 lbs 12 oz completely fine. He needed extra time to “bake” or so I like to think. Hope it’s the same for you

1 Like

Are you petite? I really wouldn’t worry after birth just file milestones. Think you’re good tough.

My belly was small all through my pregnancy. My doctors were concerned towards my 30 week mark that it would affect my son. Turns out nothing was wrong…he was right on track. I worried myself sick until my ultrasound, don’t do that to yourself!! I gave birth just past 38 weeks. My son was 6 pounds 3 ounces and completely healthy! :grin: Best of luck!! :blue_heart::heart::blue_heart::heart:

Don’t worry, depends how your baby is laying. My son laid most in the back. I didn’t even show until 6 months. First I was due October, then September delivered in August! Shortest pregnancy ever!!

1 Like

This happened to me with both my girls (I measured dead on with my boy).
At about 30-32 weeks I started measuring a week behind and I wasn’t gaining weight. Ultrasound showed perfect babies. They were just wee things at birth. 6.11 and 6.12 both born at 39+2 (2 years apart)
Trust that if your doctor isn’t worried you shouldn’t be either :slightly_smiling_face:

My son was small in every ultrasound and was born at 6.6 lbs the day after my due date. Hes 18 months now and still in the lower percentiles in height and weight but perfectly healthy.

Yes I’ve dealt with it before. Could be something innocent and not to worry about. My little girl was measuring small and it was due to a reduced blood flow, 2lbs14oz to be exact. I had her at 31 weeks. It can be a whole range of different things though, try not to worry.

I did with my last two pregnancies. I was measuring small but when they did the ultrasound the babies were measuring bigger than what we thought

Could be something as simple as the way the baby was laying that day. I wouldn’t worry until you have too. Those things aren’t always the most accurate

I was all over the place my whole pregnancy. At first was measuring a few weeks ahead and her saying I would probably end up with a c section bc my first son got stuck and was only 6lbs. Then towards end of pregnancy he was measuring slightly smaller. Had a healthy 7lb baby

You answered your own question in the caption :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Now she health 2 year old but still small!

I had that with my daughter, scared the crap out of me. She would drop measurement then a couple weeks later we near normal again. With my pregnancy I was so stressed out and wasn’t taking very good care of my self. She was born 9 days early in the 9th percentile for weight and 26th percentile for height. She quickly bounced to the fifth percentile for height and 27th for weight. Basically her body took over and did what I couldn’t and I now have a sassy, free spirited, empathic, beautiful angel. She is my mini and I’m in love with the beauty that came from the hell in the end.

I am naturally small but expected to add some Wight during pregnancy. It did not happen. I measured small all throughout and added only 2kgs. You are fine if your doc says you are

Possible intrauterine growth restriction. Do you smoke?

They can measure ahead or behind a few weeks. It’s normal. Shouldn’t be more than 4 weeks ahead or behind. I had IUGR with my 5th. She was about 4-6weeks behind. At birth she was 4 weeks behind. But complety healthy. And sometimes it’s just the way they lie. Good luck.

Here they always tell us , it’s just an estimate, it’s not exact , you wont know untill the baby is born :woman_shrugging:t2:

Ask your doctor? :woman_facepalming:

Talk to your doctor, mine didnt even notice my fungal height was not differing until 33 weeks. That’s when I had an ultrasound and she was very tiny. I ended up being diagnosed with IntraUterine Growth Restricition which meant there was just really limited space. My daughter was born at 37 weeks weighing only 4 pounds, 4 ounces which was a lot bigger than we expected her to be.

These are all estimates. Also, some ladies go on and not even show

Doctors aren’t always right

My daughter measured 6 weeks behind. Less than 1% and is perfectly fine.

Baby can lay differently and not be out as far

3 Likes

Have you been gaining weight during this pregnancy? I was pretty small with my last pregnancy. I wasn’t overly concerned. My Dr was. I went for weekly ultrasounds the last few weeks. My son was born 5 days before my due date. He was 6 lbs 11 ounces when he was born. He is 8 years old now.
Every pregnancy is different.

It’s not 100% accurate…your uterus can tilt, baby can move, etc. I never went by measurements OR ultrasounds. The weight is ALWAYS off.

1 Like

It’s just the way you grow your kiddo. You’re technically allowed 4 weeks both directions.

I’ve always measured farther along then what I was. Your doctor or OB should be giving you an extra ultrasound around 35 weeks or so to measure growth (at least mine did)

I wouldnt worry too much unless your doctors have said you have a reason to! Good luck!!

1 Like

Talk to your doctor …not Facebook!

1 Like

Its not always 100% right… I had my first daughter prematurely at 32 weeks the ultrasound Right before i given birth they said she was just over 2 pounds… At birth she was 3 pounds 11oz…

I was tiny tiny with my 3rd baby. I had only gained 12 lbs and I had her at 35 weeks. I was 5’7" & 114lbs. Dr wasn’t happy but Baby girl was 6lbs 4 ounces and 17 & 1/2 inches long…

Dont worry you will more than likely catch up in the next few weeks!!!

If your doc is fine and not worried then its fine. Trust your doc not ppl online bc most if not all of arent doctors.

I had a slightly different issue- my baby was measuring small. I had to go weekly for monitoring, etc. Don’t stress yourself out and continue to work/ communicate with your Dr. They will make sure everything is ok.
*My daughter (my 2nd) just ended up being petite. Eventually, after many weeks of monitoring, my Dr was satisfied that she was simply a little dumpling. She was born vaginally, healthy, and LATE haha. Rub your belly and love your baking muffin. Dr’s err on the side of caution. Let them worry for you.

I too was measured less than my on going weeks. I had a low lying placenta. A healthy baby however the weight was below normal. Otherwise everything was fine. Don’t worry it could be coped up

I was 7 months pregnant and literally no one knew (strangers or random acquaintances). My stomach was flat. My doctor assured me that pregnancy is not one size fits all type of thing. My daughter was born 8 pounds and healthy. Turning 13 next month. I walked out of the hospital wearing my skinny jeans. Not everyone is the same.

It could be that your baby has started to engage. If that is the case, measurements and scans wont be accurate.

It’s ok if your doctor isn’t worried I wouldn’t worry. :heart: Don’t stress yourself Hun. I’m 28 weeks pregnant with twins and 55 kgs only put on 5 kilos. My doctors tell me all the time my babies are huge and healthy. Sometimes it’s just your body etc :slight_smile: id try not to worry :heart::heart:

I measured small for most of my pregnancy, baby girl was totally fine. They did extra ultrasounds to make sure, I called it ‘laying in her cocoon’. It was super comfortable for both of us, I think. Kept her away from my ribs.

My daughter seemed small but he came out 8.7

I have four children and measurements were only somewhat accurate with one child. Do not worry. Also with both my last pregnancies they swore the baby was going to be very large. My last one I had ultrasound after ultrasound because they feared he was growing too large.

He was 7 pounds 4 ounces :roll_eyes:. Don’t put too much faith in estimations they make.