I am a babysitter and people keep canceling: Advice?

What should a sitter do when you are canceled on? I have had three cancellations in the last two days. I am thinking about asking for a deposit for Friday-Sunday nights because these are the busy date nights, so when people cancel, I loose out on a job, and my other clients that wanted care for date nights lose out as well. I am usually booked 1-2 weeks out and have many amazing clients. But new ones seem to cancel often. I have also been providing daycare for nine years now professionally and haven’t seen near as many cancellations as I have this year.

8 Likes

Ask for a deposit, or charge for last minute cancellations as you change your plans to babysit

1 Like

With covid, I’m not sure you could do it, but maybe you could ask for up front payment? Then if it’s canceled bcuz or covid, don’t charge them? Idk

If they are a new client explain how those nights are your busiest so you will be requesting a deposit in order to book your services. I wouldn’t necessarily require that of you “usual” clients though

3 Likes

You prepay at daycare centers. Develop daycare type rules and a contract.

I’m not a sitter … but that sounds fair

Stop dealing with those who cancel a lot. After 3 cancels then you’re sorry you cant keep them as a client

3 Likes

I bet covid is part of the.problem

Be like a daycare. Pay a week in advance or days in advance. You should be getting paid if they are there or not. If this is your income then it doesn’t matter if they cancel because they’ve already paid you. This is how people get away with not having to pay. Or say well they didn’t come this day so im not paying you for this day. It doesn’t work like that and if they went to a daycare or drop in care they would still have to pay. This is your income.

1 Like

You could definitely ask for deposit on last minute cancellations but that also has a lot to do with the pandemic. If their plans get canceled on them then they may not need you. Outings are very limited right now.

For weekends, I think it’s fair to ask for a non refundable deposit. Just explain to them that you’ve had cancellations and had to say no to others and you ended up being out on both ends. I think it’s very reasonable…

1 Like

Don’t take it personally COVID-19 has caused many to cancel plans. But a non-refundable deposit sounds fair

23 yrs ago my sitter got paid if I canceled was off for vacation ect. I know its hard times but enough is enough. Your the boss call :telephone_receiver: the shots. If they cancel and don’t pay don’t hold there spot!!! This is how u make a living too…

Definitely ask for non refundable deposit from now on

1 Like

Lots of professions have this same problem! Think about hairdressers

3 Likes

Awesome idea. Deposit and if they cancel within 24 hours or less prior they lose it.

2 Likes

I think a deposit for new clients and for existing clients if they cancel more then 3 times with less then 72 hours notice they would need to pay deposits.

Those who won’t pay a deposit are those who would probably cancel on you. I’d ask for a deposit.

1 Like

Daycare has it if child isn’t there they still get paid unless it is a legitimate excuse…I would make up a deposit…If cancelled NO refunds…

1 Like

You could always tell them your regular rate will go up with each cancellation.

It may be tough to get people to give you a deposit if you haven’t worked for them before, but you could at least turn down the work if they don’t and you have other options. Maybe tell them if they don’t want to put down a deposit, that’s fine, but they’ll get bumped if you have another opportunity that’s guaranteed. Finding good and reliable sitters isn’t easy! You definitely should be getting compensated for the cancellations. Whenever I would have to cancel on sitters (which was rare), I’d always make it up to them the next time.

It is babysitting… Stuff happens. Sucks but deal with it. I would not pay a deposite if I were a client

I would def aak for a deposit ! You are freeing up your time for people. Stand your ground and worth.

1 Like

Pay in advance and no refunds . If they book the spot and don’t use it that is on them . Make it a policy for your services and tell them up front

When making arrangements to babysit inform them that you have a cancellation fee and you must be notified at least 24 hours in advance! Good luck

3 Likes

Require a 24 hour cancellation. If they cancel 24 hours or less, charge them for an hour.

1 Like

I would charge a set amount per week no matter what. Pay upfront.

Get a non refundable deposit

Ok here’s the reality as a Business Man!
Your line of work is Tuff! Competitive!
So yoh need to cherry pick!
In other words your 1st priority is to past customers who have never cancelled the last moment!
Things happen but you need to protect your Income!
If a new customer books you? Simply say thank you for your Business! . I will commit to,that night# however as a courtesy to my Clients If I must
Cancel I will give you at least 24 hrs notice- 48 if possible!
And I request the sane courtesy!
Let it go at that! If they Dobt respect this and cancel put them down as High maintenance! If they book again request a small dep maybe 2 hrs up front!
You let them know because of you exsperience and reliability you book up fast!

1 Like

Ask for half up front and the other half upon pickup.

Get a deposit , your time is valuable!

1 Like

Where you live I need a sitter

1 Like

After 3 times cancelled don’t work for them

1 Like

My daughter who works in the schools had to pay a sitter all summer just to retain her for school months. They paid whether the kids were there or not

Why not tell new clients why you will require a cancellation fee and set time limits and advise if they cancel after that point you will not sit for them again unless that fee is paid. If they need you bad enough they will learn from their prior mistakes.

1 Like

I had a babysitting business for 17 years. Everyone paid on Monday for the entire week. Period. Unless you have a business that is a drop in one, that is the best way. If it’s drop in, then they have to give notice - you decide the time - and if they don’t show, then pay at least half of what you would have earned.

2 Likes

As a nanny I require payment for a certain amount of hours regardless of if my client uses me or not. Sometimes my parents just go get coffee and have alone time because straight up they’re paying anyway

Stuff happens, but if it’s the same client’s all the time maybe stop working for them and stick to the ones that don’t cancel.

I have a license daycare for 20+years… My policy is payment whether they are here or not…

1 Like

Start charging for cancellation