I am anxious to be on my own due to my epilepsy: Advice?

My husband works swing shift and typically when he’s on 3rds (7pm to 7am) I go and stay with his parents since I have severe anxiety that is triggered at night time and being alone, which causes a trigger to my epilepsy. Anyways I finally hit a year seizure, aka epilepsy, free, and his parents make “jokes” about how I need to start staying home. I’m just fearful since it would just be me and my four-year-old daughter, and I’m scared of the possibility of having a seizure in front of her. I just need some advice on how you keep yourself calm in anxious situations as tomorrow will be my qst night attempting to stay home on my own with my daughter since I was diagnosed with epilepsy last October. Also, I’d like to add when I have seizures; I am unconscious for several hours. I also wish I could say staying with my own mother instead of my husband’s family is a possibility, but she’s passed away a while ago so it isn’t.

16 Likes

The only way to get over anxiety is to confront the anxiety triggers. I know some are a lot worse than others. You may need a therapist to help you move through it. I also want to ensure you that your epilepsy will effect your daughter very little. Many eplectics become parents and raise children well.

If you haven’t already I’d have a sit down with them, a serious sit down, explain to them why it’s triggered and why they shouldn’t make jokes. Also during this transitional period for you maybe consider asking someone to come check on you. Tell them why, explain it. I doubt anyone who cares about you will continue to make fun of you and will call or swing by and check on you. The longer you do this, the more your anxiety could be at bay which is a nice feeling. But there’s no shame in having someone come sit with you while you’re at home. This is of course something I recommend you do along with teaching your daughter about seizures.

1 Like

Well, it’s been a year of no seizures. So I assume medications are working and there is a doctor involved. I think this is some anxiety, but working out a safety plan in the event you do have a seizure might be a way to alleviate some anxiety. Many people with epilepsy have what’s called an “aura” a sensation or combination of sensations that indicate a seizure will be coming on. Why not create a safety plan around that instead of people feeling like they have to babysit you? (I don’t mean that in an insensitive way, that’s just how insensitive people see it.) Why not FaceTime someone when you feel that coming on? Then they can call paramedics or come to you and that doesn’t require your 4yo to bear the responsibility to call anyone.

I feel for you Sister. When I was young I babysat for a couple who the husband had epilepsy. He was always there when I sat for them. I really feel that I wish I could tell you that it will be ok to be at hoe alone. But, if you are unconscious for several hours I really dont think that would be an option here. Is there someone that could stay WITH you when your husband is at work?

1 Like

I grew up with my exstep dad having epilepsy just make sure to proof your house so you won’t hit your head like moving tables out the way, when you are alone try to stay near couch or bed make easy snacks n drinks for your child to reach make sure doors are locked when you get home child proof aswell Incase you do end up sleeping for several hours teach your child how to use your cellphone incase of emergency most important prepare them for it explain to them what can happen and not to be scared possibly leave them a family’s number incase.

3 Likes

Teach your daughter about your seizures and how to call 911 and give them at least your address.

7 Likes

Well first of all, I have to ask, if you were diagnosed last October, how have you been a year seizure free? I have a friend who has epilepsy as well, she smokes medicinal cannabis. I dont know if you’re in a medically legal state or not, but it helps her so much. If not, I would suggest trying CBD. Will your doctor not do anything?

2 Likes

Possibly downloading a meditation app to assist you with breathing and calming techniques, also your 4 year old is old enough now to use a phone so it may be in your best interest to show her how to call her grand parents ICE, usually you can set it so she presses one number only and it should call them immediately. You can also try herbal calming medication to assist you if you feel more anxious than usual.

Can you have someone or 2-3 someone’s call you every couple of hours to check on you. That way if you don’t answer they can call for help.

1 Like

Get to know your neighbors.

Could you get a therapy dog?

4 Likes

Have you looked into a therapy dog?

3 Likes

Have you considered a life alert they have a necklace and a watch

Does reading help? What about CBD?

Teach your daughter how to call 911 and your address. Her name and your name. How to tell them you’ve had a seizure and how to know when you’re unconscious. You can also teach her to go to a neighbors instead of calling 911. Of course find a neighbor you trust and talk with them about a plan.

Kids are very smart!

Talk to your doctor about anxiety medication and/or ask for a referral to a counselor. Neither medication or therapy is shameful. :heart:

Are you on medication to help your epilepsy? I would talk to your doctor about that too.

12 Likes

My suggestion is to find something to do to occupy your time and just remember that anything that you feel your child can feel

Just make sure you feel comfortable and safe,take baby steps to where you want to be.Ease your way to success. G.L.

Ask husband to hire an overbite care

Teach your daughter what to do in case something happens… What number to call, buttons to push, take off any screen locks. Let a trusted neighbor know.

2 Likes

Katie Thornburgh Christensen anxiety advice…?

Do you have anyone that could come spend a few nights with you. Ease into staying at home?

Maybe set up a camera in your house to connect to your family members and start teaching your kid to dial 911 if need. I’m not blaming you to feel this way and hope things goes well for you.

1 Like

A couple thoughts: 1. Can you make a plan to help ensure that if you experience a seizure. Maybe have family or a friend call you or message you at scheduled times through the evening. If you don’t respond, they can come check on you. That way if you did seize, you know that someone will be there to help your daughter and you without hours passing.

1. To prevent an anxiety attack, I often do a count down routine to keep me grounded.

“5 things you can see: Your hands, the sky, a plant on your colleague’s desk
4 things you can physically feel: Your feet on the ground, a ball, your friend’s hand
3 things you can hear: The wind blowing, children’s laughter, your breath
2 things you can smell: Fresh-cut grass, coffee, soap
1 thing you can taste: A mint, gum, the fresh air”

3: CBD. My daughter and husband struggle with
pretty intense anxiety. We turned to CBD sublingually for my daughter and my husband vapes for himself. This was life-changing for both of them. My husband is so passionate about the benefits of CBD that he actually started a business from the ground up. The success stories of his customers is what fuels and encourages him to keep doing what he does! Life changing!

Apicalgreens.com

2 Likes

My mother was epileptic. She had seizures in front of us multiple times growing up. Twice while driving. Your daughter is getting old enough to talk to her. Explain what she should do if you have an episode. List all important numbers and medical info on the fridge. Have her memorize dads number and the address. Talk to her about when and when not to call 911. The one thing we had to make sure to do was put a pillow under her head but not restrain her and call my dad immediately

Set up a check in schedule with family that you trust. Have them periodically check in on y’all or you call them at set times. And if they don’t hear from you at those times they need to swing by and make sure your ok. That way if you do have an episode you don’t have to worry about your daughter.