I am considering changing my daughters name due to a fall out with my friend: Advice?

At the end of the day none of us are walking in your shoes or feeling the pain you feel from your friends lack of care or concern for you or your child. No one knows what is best for you and your family but you. And honestly, if you decide to change her name, when you explain to her later on why, she will appreciate you more for standing up for what you felt was right. Praying for your baby girls health…chin up lil momma…you got this. I know how hard post pardom can be, but you can over come it with the right support system :blue_heart:

1 Like

If it gives you peace of mind, then change it.

3 Likes

A little different but I adopted a sibling group of 5 from foster care and my husband and I changed all their names. First, middle and last. They did better with the change than we did. It’d be easier for adults now just because they would have more time to get used to a new middle name. You wouldn’t have to deal with the awkwardness of them saying the wrong name and then having to explain. My kids are named after people we don’t talk to anymore though too. I think it’s personal preference.

I don’t understand why all of you telling her to “grow up” are going out of your way just to be dicks 🤦 if you don’t agree with what you’ve read and don’t have any solid advice to give just keep scrolling. No need to keep telling her to “grow up” as that’s just ignorant. Maybe y’all should take your own advice and hop off this poor girls post who’s just looking for some support…

7 Likes

It’s still early enough, go change her name. And use this as a hard lesson in life. Dont make this mistake again.

3 Likes

Keep it to remind you about friends never come before family

1 Like

Confusing to who? Who cares about what everyone else thinks. If you want to change her middle name, do it, but do it now. I am so sorry this happened and I can relate more than you know. Some people only know how to take. They also only know how to live in constant crisis mode. So if you aren’t appealing to their current crisis needs, then you aren’t giving to them. She clearly has no sense of giving and that is not your fault.

2 Likes

Just leave it alone. It’s not that deep. People fall out with god parents all the time. How do you explain that one ? Just move on. You named your child - let it alone.

I think its a good reminder for you that anyone can change, I would wan to change it tho also…hard one for sure

Sorry you had to endure all of that… Personally, I wouldn’t change her name, because there’s a reason behind it… You two may not see eye to eye right now, but miracles do happen… Both of you have obviously seen each other at your worse, so I doubt you two would be so quick to just throw in the towel… Repair what can be repaired and the rest will work itself out… Hope you find a solution. :kissing_heart:

Keep the name. You named your daughter after a friend that you were very close to at the time.
That’s what you tell your daughter.
Problem solved.

2 Likes

That shouldve been thought of before picking ur childs name. Its like getting a guys name tattooed on u. Only man tattooed on me is my dads name. My daughter is named after my mom, i wouldn’t choose a friends name specifically for this reason. Friends come and go.

1 Like

If you want to, go for it.

What’s the middle name? Could you change it up but keep it similar so it’s not drastic, maybe no one would even notice and you wouldn’t have to make an announcement about it

1 Like

Leave it alone, move forward.
You love your daughter and her name.

1 Like

Do what YOU want to do. This is YOUR child. No one else’s opinion matters. I think you already know your answer, you don’t need permission or validation from anyone else, you’re her mommy and you are the one responsible for her well being. Don’t worry about others’ opinions on this or anything else.

1 Like

You could give her your name as well. Nothing confusing about it. Me and my mum share the same first name and my brother and dad share too the same first name.

Life to short to worry about that , let her have her birth name you don’t call her by her middle name anyway , only on paper n I D purpose s u are stressing on drama

Do what works for you. I had to wait until I was out on my own to change my name (aside from it being too old-fashioned for a child and spelled in a “creative” way that half my teachers mangled, the neighbors on the next block had a dog with the same name who got yelled at a lot, lol). I kept the diminutive as the original name was to name me after my dad. He was gone by the time I changed it. I never told my mom, and just put up with the older relatives refusing to use my “nickname”. Best thing I ever did. You need to decide if having to explain this to your child in the future will be an issue, whether you and your friend will possibly reconcile, if changing the name then you do become friends again will cause a problem, and if your strong feelings will ever subside or will you despise the name forever? Do you like the name, other than it being a namesake? Or was it strictly to honor your friend? Whatever you decide, it will be okay in the long run.

Come on woman get off the pity pot changing your daughter’s name one cost money two with the surgeries she’s had it will mess up medical records remember you’re not the center of the universe

3 Likes

Dont change it every form she will fill out that says have you been known as a different name in the past she will have to do anyway.

Id change it. I hate my middle name because of the person i was named after 🤷🏻

Rayla Ann is a pretty name

My daughter’s middle name is Star… I also think about changing it. I was heavily sleep deprived when filling out the middle name that I just wrote something in. Her name is Zyanna Star. I would change it if you can. I’ll let my daughter decide if she wishes to change her name later on.

1 Like

Leave it, it will be a huge headache with all of the medical issues and papers, it will be costly and time consuming. And it will affect the rest of her life.

Your daughter will not ask until she is a teenager or adult and by then you’ll be over it. And you could simply say an old friend.

Seems like you had a toxic relationship with this person, you did your all for the friendship including giving your child her name (which I find kinda weird and obsessive tbh). And she was never one to reciprocate those feelings. She was toxic and its a good thing you dropped her. Just leave it and move on.

We hardly use middle names anyways.

I see it both ways. Keeping it because although no longer friends it meant enough to you to honor someone so close to you and pass that on to your daughter. However I also think there is nothing wrong with changing the name especially at such a young age. It doesn’t matter what ANYONE has to think or say. Telling your daughter later in life is not going to change anything. If anything it is a life lesson that friends aren’t always forever in your life but the impact they may have had are.

If you’re serious about it, do it fast before she really knows the meaning behind it. I’m assuming she won’t really know you’re friend if you’ve cut ties.

Just change it. Down dwell on it. Put it in the past. Everyone makes mistakes and not everyone is who we thought they were. Simple.

1 Like