I am having trouble pumping...advice?

I’m having difficulty pumping. I know that my breast are full. I have tried massaging them, hot showers, and pumping every 3 hours. Does anyone have any tricks?

1 Like

I use a hot wash cloth too for about 10 minutes before pumping. That seems to help get a good session in.

Maybe trying a different pump would help. With my 2nd baby I got a really popular brand for a pump and it would hardly get milk out. I went back to using the pump I used for my 1st baby and was way more successful

i’m not sure how easy it would be with pumping but dangle feeding my baby always helped so much when i was in that position!! maybe try pumping like that :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Honestly I hardly responded to electric pumps. I could pump and pump all day, just to get a little bit. My lactation consultant suggested I use a manual one, as it seems to pull differently, and acts more like your baby. When I tell you it was like night and day when I swapped, I was so happy!!! Walmart carries manual pumps (two are good, one is iffy) for about $30. Give it a try!!

1 Like

Give your local
Health visiting team a call and ask for their infant feeding team. Also speak to the national breast feeding advice line (google the numbr) or it’ll be in babies red book xxx

Manual pump. Warm shower ir compress before pumping. Also invest in a hakaa. Not everyone responds to a pump the same, especially electric pumps.

Since I haven’t seen anyone say it, have you checked your size? If you don’t have the right size it won’t work as well

1 Like

Pump more often. You probably have a clog. Massage it in a hot shower too

Try a different flange size. Meet with an IBCLC to work on your issues.

Not sure if this is your scenario but…when I was pumping at work I found it helpful for my letdown to look at a picture of the baby or even a video. The hormones in your brain directly drive your let down and as crazy as it is, tricking your brain into thinking it’s actually going to feed the baby can be helpful, it was for me at least.

Also…your issues could vary depending on your scenario. In other words we need more context to help. How old is baby? Are you exclusively pumping, etc?

Manual pump and Sunflower Lecithin my location nurse told me: what a difference!!