I am nervous to go to the gym: Advice?

I want to start weight lifting but am nervous to go to the gym because I am bigger…I get anxiety when people stare at me and all the videos on tiktok of people being judged makes me not want to go even more…I am wanting to start after Christmas which is another reason I am nervous because I don’t want people thinking I am doing this just for the new years resolution…how can I overcome my fears??

2 Likes

I’m a bigger girl too and I go to the gym. There’s all body types that go. And we’re all there to get healthy and work on ourselves. Get in that gym and hustle girl, who cares what anyone else thinks or says! Gyms aren’t just for fit and healthy people!

5 Likes

Just start walking 1hr a day until you’re ready to go to the gym lower your calorie count to 18-2300 a day breakfast is most important meal do not leave home without heading every 3 eggs you eat 1 yoke by the time you’re ready for the gym you should drop 1/2 pounds a week losing weight to fast is bad you don’t want to lose anymore than 3 pounds a week tops if you realize you are dropping fast add some calories to your diet 1 hr a day cardio 1 hr a day lifting light weight lot of reps tone the body heavy weight builds you want to tone the build best results will come from morning workouts. Don’t let anyone take your courage away we all got to start somewhere. Lift 5 days a week 2 days of rest. And never forget to reward yourself for all the hard work a cheat day a month will not hurt. Find you good enjoyable meals and fo weekly meal preps chicken,fish, steak, salads, make the challenge fun. You got this

1 Like

Ask what hours the gym isn’t as full and go during those times. Get a personal trainer. That person will keep you focused on your workout vs. what others are thinking about you. It’s said at 20 you care what people think about you. At 40 you don’t care what people think about you. At 60 you realize no one has been thinking about you at all!

Please just think about yourself not what others think about you can not stop river but you can stay far

Quit giving a crap what other people think…Go to the gym, start tomorrow…I went was over 300 pounds, didn’t care what other people thought, most will be supportive, the rest are probably there for show.

2 Likes

Good for you! Those people should be ashamed, and they’re parent’s failed. You’re there trying to make changes and do something about what your unhappy with. Unfortunately, this world is full of pieces of shit more often than not :roll_eyes:. Good luck!

You have to do it for you. When you feel insecure there remember your ‘WHY’… it’s not for them it’s for you… put some ear buds in and do what you need to do, which may include avoiding eye contact in the beginning. Your health will thank you and you will love your before and after photos!! And in time , you never know who is watching your journey and becoming motivated and inspired🥰

At the gym (I go everyday) there’s different shapes and sizes of people and honestly everyone is in their own world. Nobody really pays attention to others unless we’re asking if they are still using the equipment. The environment of people there are more so motivational. There’s group trainings classes and personal trainings. You’ll be fine.

Step one:. Stop giving a damn what others think about you.

Go watch some Joey Swoll videos.

I have really bad anxiety as well. I used to go when it was pretty empty. There are some gyms that cater to women so I’d shop around and go visit them. When you start at the gym just to basic stuff like the elliptical or treadmill to get you comfortable in the environment and scope out the people. Go at various times of the day to get a vibe of the people at that the different times. It also helped when I had a friend go with me. Also, a majority of the videos you’re seeing are staged and for viewing pleasure.

i felt like that at LA FITNESS. everyone there seem super fit, skinny and judgy :confused: :thinking: i started going to smaller gyms :man_lifting_weights: :muscle: and everyone was nice, and all kinds of bodies, felt much more comfortable. la fitness seems to be a hot skinny tic tok spot :rofl: anyone else had similar experience there?

Look at at home programs till your more confident. I work out 5-7 days in my living room and have seen great results.

I use E2M Personal Training is a great place to start. I love that I can do it at home at a gym anywhere. They offer weight training and cardio mental health Pilates and yoga and so much more. Definitely a thought