I am pregnant and having trouble sleeping: Advice?

I’m currently 28.3 weeks pregnant, and I am not able to sleep whatsoever! I have body pillows, I’ve tried all sorts of positions, my body just won’t let me sleep, and I am physically and mentally drained…What can I do to get some sleep, and what helps??

8 Likes

Did u try bath before bed?

Magnesium will help with sleep

Ask your Dr if you can take melatonin.

3 Likes

It’s okay for you to drink chamomile it’s all natural herbs that will help you relax

I took unisom. But honestly not very often and it really just prepared me for not getting any sleep when the little one came. I coped way better than my husband lol

Benadryl and melatonin

I always sleep on my side when i was pregnant its hard and there are pillows for pregnancy too if u can buy one but yeah it will all get better once the baby is out

Try and relax in a bathtub and maybe you could get some sleep that way but don’t go to sleep in the tub

Warm milk, chamomile tea, lavender lotion or bath wash

Talk to your ob. He/she can definitely point you in the right direction. Most over the counter aids are safe for occasional use, melatonin occasionally. But at this point in your pregnancy you will most likely feel exhausted all day/all of the time but can’t sleep at night. If you can cat nap during the day that will help some. But right now from my experience your sleep will absolutely suck. Sorry hun, good luck

I am 29 weeks pregnant, and I usually do one of these before bed or when I’m having one of my sleepless nights.

I had the same problem my ob had me take unisom

Its not easy Im almost 33 weeks and have such a hard time sleeping…i have a pillow between my legs one under my head one behind my back and one pillow to hug…lol it’s ridiculous

Maybe soak in a lavender infused bath. Lavender is calming and relaxing. Melatonin is great also. It’s natural. So it wont harm baby.

Left side with a pillow between knees

It will only get worse :pensive: But the prize is so worth it. :revolving_hearts::revolving_hearts::baby::revolving_hearts::revolving_hearts:

Hot baths are amazing with some Epson Salt and my OB told me Benadryl was fine to take too.

I had to be prescribed Ambien. I had a medical issue prior to pregnancy that caused my brain to forget how to shut down for sleep. I was on Lunesta prior to getting pregnant and my provider switched me to Ambien. The benefits outweighed the risks in my case.

Following this post! I’m 20 weeks and have the same problem I am mentally and physically exhausted due to lack of sleep

I’m up multiple times at night because my hips hurt and I have to keep switching sides… which is a workout lol

I had to sleep sitting upright in a recliner for the last couple of months. I could put the foot stool up and recline a tiny bit

I am 20 weeks and am too suffering from insomnia. And on top of that a 2yr old who don’t sleep well either. My dr said it was normal in pregnancy and I could take Tylenol PM or Benadryl on nights I can’t fall asleep. Also try warm bath or shower to help you relax before bed. Maybe have your partner give you a relaxing massage

1 Like

I had to get a new bed

I take CALM it’s magnesium which is an amazing vitamin that your body needs

My 2 young children, myself and my husband all take melatonin due to tons of anxiety. Its all natural and safe for the kids there are dosings from 1 to 10mg as far as I know.but even 10 is safe. Talk to your doc about it.

I’m 32 weeks tomorrow. Doing a bit of yoga and meditation right before bed helps me a lot. I’ve also found in the last week that walking about 2 km a day helps too or even reading a book before you go to bed can help. Hope it gets better for you :slightly_smiling_face:

Unisom my dr said it’s safe but to take the tablets and not the gels. You can even try taking half at first

1 Like

Pamper yourself!! Big dinner, bubble bath and favorite movie might help.

Tylenol PM works and medium sized teddy bears instead of a body pillow. Also put a decent size pillow between your legs. Makes it easier to move the farther along you get. Good luck

My OB told me to take benedryl.

There is no sleep past this point lol

I slept in the lazy boy

Have you tried a magnesium supplement?(check with ur midwife first ofcrse) or yoga. Some are less active during pregnancy and physical activity is proven to help with sleep. Journaling. Sleepy time sprays. Massages. Good luck.

2 Likes

Try Melatonin not a sleeping pill all natural an they have gummy form.

I had a pregnancy pillow that was amazing. It was shaped like a giant C. I took half A Unisom on desperate nights.

Melatonin can give you nightmares. Just letting you know

I just gave up and would get out of bed and bake lol

Melatonin is not safe during pregnancy. Please discuss with your doctor or midwife prior, but i was told I could take unisom or benadryl to help me sleep during pregnancy.

1/2 unisom and magnesium will help. Also a bath before bed will help relax your muscles.

3mg of melatonin no more then that though!!

When I had problems sleeping during my pregnancy, my OBGYN told me to take Benadryl

Dry cranberrys and a hot shower helpd me sleep

Some yogaaaa and stretching maybe a little work out before bed

Pillows in between the legs

Benadryl. That’s what my ob suggested! Unisom otherwise is made of very similar ingredients and is also safe for pregnancy. I was told no melatonin

I used aromatherapy in the shower (lavender) and then used a magnesium lotion on my legs which helps sleep and leg cramps too! Had music going and would drink hot chamomile lavender tea and used a pregnancy pillow.

I’ve seen sitting out in the sun for a bit everyday actually helps with sleep!

Do tread mill and cycling .your guaranteed to fall sleep when you get tired

My last month of pregnancy was aweful I had to sleep on a recliner chair!!! Needless to say I wore it down! I couldn’t get sleep for nothing I even wore 2 bed mattresses down I would feel the springs! My hubby bought a Valentine’s bear last year human sized that and hella pillows allowed me a tad bit of rest!

Warm milk or rooibos after a warm bath will do the trick

I take a warm bath to help relax before I go to bed and I lay on my left side mostly but have a standard pillow under my knees, under my stomach,and I normally have a blanket between my legs and I also sleep with 3 pillows under my head … that seems to really help me I’m currently almost 33 weeks

1 Like

Don’t eat a lot to close to the time you go to bed. Try soaking in a tub of warm water with lavender or take a warm shower. You could try melatonin but I would suggest consulting your doctor before taking any medicine. A hard time sleeping often accompanies the later months of pregnancy but it will pass. Stay strong.

There is a natural supplement called Calms Forte Walmart and CVS carries it. Ask your Doctor. It helps me and no groggy head in morning

I am in the same situation! I totally know how you feel. My doctor send me sleeping pills and they dont work either. :disappointed:

My Daughter in law had to sleep in a recliner the last 3 months with her Children cause of the way they were positioned. They kept going up into her ribs.

Ask dr for something to help you sleep. I did and it was love!!!

Ask your So to give you a massage after you take a warm shower or bath. It helps relax the muscles and helps with blood flow.

Lavender bath…
There is also some pillow spray and lotion with lavender and cedarwood it is so relaxing…

Take a warm bath with some Epsom salt before bed and lots of pillows for support and comfort. I bought 8 sheep organics sleepy lotion and use it on my restless legs. If I’m real desperate for sleep I take a unisom.

Lavender essential oil works real good.

Lavender bath or body wash, a sound machine and lavender scented oil from an infuser or room spray

Cbd oil is what I use but I don’t know about using it while pregnant

I was on Seroquel during my 3 pregnancies. Maybe try that

I have the same issue , I’m taking unisom it seems to help some.

Try sleeping in a recliner. It helped me.

1 Like

Side sleep, pillow between my knees, OR sleeping in a recliner

I was pregnant with twins slept sitting up but by morning I was down

I had to sleep in a recliner also , you should try it

Try drinking a cup of tea before bed chamomile

Try sleeping in a recliner.

Pick something you really want to watch then you’ll doze off…

Get use to not sleeping

4 Likes

Join the club I’m having trouble to

have you tried a recliner? it helped me.

Sleep during pregnancy does get progressively harder. I think it is natures way of preparing a new mother for a new born.

Some suggestions to try:

• If you are taking naps during the day, I would suggest you stop them s they can interfere with sleep patterns.
  • Go to bed at the same time every night and try to develop some kind of routine.
  • Take a shower before bed. The warm water helps to relax and body and lowers your body temperature, making it easier to fall asleep.
  • Stop drinking water at least 1 hour before bedtime to reduce your need to go to the toilet during the night.
  • Eat smaller meals in the night. This way your body is less active and can digest food easier.
  • Limit screen time before bed.
  • Try meditation. It is a fantastic way to calm the body and mind down before sleep.
1 Like