I am really emotionally at the thought of going back to work tomorrow: Is that normal?

I’ve been on maternity leave since August 1st and I’m scheduled to go back tomorrow. I’ve been really sad all day, crying every time I think about it. She’s not even 3 months old yet and I’ve become really attached to her. The only thing that’s keeping me from loosing my mind is knowing it’s a short shift, just under 5 hours, plus she’ll be watched by my mom. I work retail and I know I’ll somehow have to keep it together during my shift. Is it normal to feel so emotional about going back?

33 Likes

Totally normal! I am fortunate enough to be able to stay home with mine. I did however nanny my nieces, my sister went back to work when her eldest was just 7 weeks and cried on the way to work. If it makes it easier for you, ask your mum to send regular updates, photos etc I think it helps

Yes.
It’s hard to leave your child once you finally get to hold them. You will have anxiety about going back to work.
But, you will cherish your time with your child even more, when you get home.

3 Likes

The 1st day back after I had my 1st was the worst. I cried and cried and after my shift was over I couldnt get to her fast enough. Weeks went by and it got easier and easier primarily because her daycare teachers were amazing. The one thing that stuck out to me was them saying " call as many times as you need". I promise it will get easier for you and her!!!

I had my son while I was in the military, I had 2 months to stay at home before going back to standing duty (2 on, 2 off, sliding weekends) I was a WRECK the week leading up to going back. Its completely understandable to feel scared, nervous and sad about leaving your little one for the first time. Just remember that your shift will end and you’ll be home with your baby before you know it, it gets easier as time goes on, but that first week or two is definitely hard.

Yes, my son is 17weeks old and I will be going back on Sunday, I dont want to leave him at all but for to make money, I wasn’t actually due back to work until april :frowning:

There is nothing wrong on how you feel.
We old folks call it. Baby blues.

You will do great… :heart:

Yes it is absolutely 100% normal to feel separation anxiety from your baby. But with short shifts, it would be a nice break for mom; and will give grandma and granddaughter special time together to. Your doing great and your an amazing mom!! :heart:

2 Likes

Yes, I ended up working the opposite from my husband so that one of us would be the care giver.

Are u kidding i had to work 80 hours a week just to keep the house hold a flot. If u have enough help to be able to be home at all. Consider your self lucky i had no choice. I had to dry my eyes and get busy to this day the struggle has not stopped. If u have any help at all you have nothing to cry about

Yes, I ended up staying home longer. It was so hard to do but you will be ok honey. Especially when grandma is watching her.

Yes.I was always suffering.But it gets easier over time.As you do not want to be begging for her needs to be met.Got to work to support your precious baby.You will like the seperation once in awhile grown up conversations and the things grown ups enjoy.

Of course it is! Relax. It will be ok moms watching her…shes in good hands

I felt that way too. The first week is going to be rough. Once you fall into a routine, it will be easier.

Absolutely! I went thru the same thing. The short shifts will help, but they will feel like forever! But in reality, if you don’t gradually feel better about leaving her, don’t hesitate to bring up those feelings with your doctor!

It was really hard for me also and I had a short shift too so what got me through this was keeping in mind was they are safe and won’t miss you they sleep most of the time and your day will go fast!

Yes, it’s normal. There’s not much that can make it easier. I found that remembering why I was doing it (for my child) helped me get through it.

Normal but it’s time be an adult/mother to your child and working is part of that. The best thing is that your mother is looking after her and not a stranger as many women must do. Go to work and look at it as mommy time so you can be a better mom when you are with her! We need breaks from our kids at time (adult time) whether it be from work or other things, embrace it and you and your child will be better for it. Just don’t get so emotional that it interferes with your work. You don’t need to lose a job with a baby now. Good Luck and remember mom will do nothing to hurt that child, she is safe!

Good luck dear, that’s my worry as well, I’ll go back to work in February and she will be 5 months old

Absolutely normal! And expected. I just went back last week after being on leave since the 9th of August. Hang in there. <3

1 Like

Yes! Its totally normal. And it will get easier with time. Just be grateful that its a short shift and shes being watched by a family member you trust!

1 Like

Yes!!! Totally normal :heart: Hang in there!

Totally normal. It’s sucks but the fact that your mom is baby sitting should be of some relief.

2 Likes

Very normal I ugly cried everytime I though of leaving my little and the day came I cried ugly in front of everyone it gets better with time its hard but gets easier with time you got this!!

Absolutely! I started back to work when my daughter was 3 months and she’s 8 now. I feel terrible leaving her all the time to go to work but I know me going is going to give her a better life. It’s going to be taught but you got this!

yes girl that’s normal, it took everything I had to walk out the door and go back to work when I had my son. I would call my mom every single chance I got to make sure he was ok.

If you don’t want to rely on a man to pay your bills dry your eyes. You’ll be alright.

Yes moms have to do very hard things. This is only the beginning of motherhood. Dry your eyes, your child needs you to provide. Be strong.

1 Like

Yes. It’s not “natural” for mothers to have to be separated from their babies for so long. Yay capitalism.

1 Like

You got this! And yes i know who you are hehe.

2 Likes

It is, I felt so guilty that I resigned from my job and stayed home

1 Like

I still think it is insane how quickly the U.S. expects new moms to return to work…most countries nowadays believe in the importance of extended maternity leave. We have 18 months of job protected paid maternity leave! Get on board America!

10 Likes

My son was 5 when I went back to work and I still wanted to cry!! Totally normal Mama!

1 Like

Yes it’s normal but it gets better. :heart:

1 Like

Absolutely normal. I was the same way after my first. But after a week of being back at work it was ok I could leave no problem

1 Like

My little is only a month old, I went in leave the day I had him. And they are already asking constantly when I’m coming back to work but I’m not ready😭

1 Like

Completely normal! I cried all the way to work and then all day at work. It gets easier. Some mornings I still cry leaving my little one. It’s hard but your baby know who her mama is and will be so happy to see you when you get off work.

1 Like

6 weeks I was back to work! It wasn’t easy at all and I missed him terribly but I had to return. It will get better. It’s normal.

1 Like

I cried the whole first week back to work with my son. I got to stay home with him for 8 months. It’s completely normal.

1 Like

My daughter & grandson live with me & she went back to work when he was a few months old, & she went back part time, in evenings while he slept. Now hes 10 months old & daughter says work is a nice little “Mommy Break” lol
Just ease into it, check on baby on your break, & use the time to reconnect to your old self a little bit.

1 Like

Yes it’s normal. But it gets easier as you’re there longer. Just cherish the time you have. You’re doing it for her!

1 Like

Yes! You’re having normal mommy feelings but at least you have someone you trust to care for her

Welcome to motherhood. We all have done it and you will too. Such is life. Our kiddos dont thrive because of us, but rather inspite of us. That means it takes a village.

1 Like

It doesn’t get better… The pressures of life just become so overwhelming that you sacrifice time with your baby to pay bills etc… I am still crying about going to with and it’s been 2 months

Aw it’s normal, you poor girl… it’s way too soon to be going back to work! We get 6 months here… mine are a lot older now I skip in to work for a rest! :see_no_evil::rofl:

I’m struggling big time at the moment too!
I go back to work next week & as the days get closer I find myself getting into a panic.
My little man is 6 months old & I don’t want to leave him! Ideally I would have loved to have a whole year with him BUT I know I have to go back because we are buying a house & I want what’s best for my family.
Doesn’t make it any easier though :sob:

I cried all day long when I went back to work. It’s normal.

It sucks going back to work Atleast your mom will keep her i have bo family and i have no choice but to work if your able to financially stay home do it! I wish with all my heart i could

Normal. New normal coming up

1 Like

Yes! You love them so much it’s really hard to leave.

You’ll be ok. This is normal.

I had my daughter on 9/26 and went back to work today. You got two extra months! It’s tough but ya gotta do what ya gotta do and snuggles will be so much sweeter after you get home for the day.

2 Likes

Lol well, I hope you’ve grown attached to her, she is your daughter

1 Like

Very normal…

I lucked out and never went back after my 2 yr old was born.
Now I will have my baby that will be 3 months come Thursday. I don’t wanna work until she’s in school

100%normal. I even cried multiple days after I was back at work because I missed my son so much.

In Canada we have maternity leave for 1 year. I can’t imagine leaving my baby so early! I feel so sorry for you. Hoping all the best for you & your babe…

4 Likes

Totally normal, Mama.

Your mom raised you so know she will be in safe loving hands.

1 Like

Totally normal! I cried so much my first week back with my first one. Just do your best to hang in there, it gets easier.

Yes this is normal don’t worry you will adjust … it’s hard in the beginning but gets easier as time goes on all the best

Yes. Hardest thing I’ve ever had to do

It is normal for that to happen… You will adjust with time. One day at a time

Yep totally normal I’ve been blessed to be a stay at home mum for 7.5 years and honestly I’m still devastated to go back to work :heartpulse:
Its ok to feel upset, its ok to want to stay home you let yourself feel however you need to feel to get through xx

I bawled when I had to go back. It was heartbreaking to leave my little human. It’s very normal.