I am scared to get my kids bunk beds...advice?

So we have 5 yr old (6 in February) and a 2 yr old (3 in May) their dad wants to get them a bunk bed but the thought of it scares me. He said he’d pay for it if I pick out one I like. I want one with an enclosed top. I fear my children falling and that’d make my anxiety 1000x worse but they have a small room and I have to agree I wish to give them more space. Any recommendations?

9 Likes

Get a trundle bed . The regular bed is only about 2 feet off the.ground.

2 Likes

Ikea kura. One bed on the floor one on top. It’s a lower loft Bed and I have my daughter sleep at the end where the ladder is not at

3 Likes

Try not to worry so much and do the best you can to protect them … ultimately you should let them be kids, accidents happen. My children have bunk beds as well, out of necessity. We couldn’t fit two beds in their room.

I agree with the advice to get a trundle or kura. I hate bunk beds and changing sheets on them, and I’m 100 sure my older child would entice the younger one to the top and then an accident would happen

I got a set for my granddaughters that are 6 and 2. They set on the floor, no legs and I bought a set of foam bumpers that go under the fitted sheet for the 2 year old. They’ve been fine. I usually lay on the floor until the 2 year old goes to sleep, but it’s not usually very long. No trouble with the 6 year old about anything. The 2 year old does try to climb the ladder sometimes, so I just put it on the top bunk and then she forgets about it.

I added these there’s also a slide and ladder since he was 3. Yes he climed up in 20 seconds or less.

Yeah 5 is definitely too young for a top bunk I’m with you there. I’ll 100% never buy my kids one, I fell off of one and broke my arm when I was 9. Look into getting a trundle bed it’s hard to clean the top bunk anyways.

Loft bunk bed is lower than traditional bunk beds

I had 2 teen girls in a small/normal size bedroom in foster care. We weren’t allowed to have bunk beds but the lack of space and storage was torture for them. I ended up getting them each low loft beds like what other people have commented (just without the mattress on the floor). They loved them and it added so much storage under the bed. We got those plastic drawer storage bins for them I to put clothes in, their laundry baskets and then other totes fit behind that for seasonal clothing.

So you could definitely do a low loft like a bunk style now. And when your youngest is a bit older get them their own low loft and have storage under both beds so the floor space is still open.

If anything, maybe a low loft with a toddler mattress underneath. Not a full size bunk bed for those ages

I was the same as you but with the triple bunk I got for my boys. I feared the one on top will fall over …. He never did! ( Thank God) there is extra bars you can buy for the top for extra support

I had the same fear, my daughter is just getting ready to turn 6, and we got my kids bunk beds back in July. We got the toddler bunk beds, not full height of normal bunk beds. For the first several months we had a mattress on the floor just as a precaution. But so far so good!

Use a toddler under mattress side rail and all should be well.

There are so many options. AND you can look online for inspiration

My oldest slept on top bunk. She never fell out. The_ have gaurd rails. If they get close to edge. Everyone is scared of everything these days.