I am staying at my aunts house and she has roaches...advice?

I’m visiting with my aunt and she has roaches. I’ve stayed here before and never taken them home so I should be okay right? Please someone tell me I’m just being paranoid. It doesn’t seem be any worse than before. It kinda seems to be a little better tbh. I honestly thought it was taken care of or I wouldn’t come to stay. I just need reassurance of some kind.

25 Likes

What kind of roaches are they small like 1/2 inch or large?? My husband is a manager for a pest control company, if they are German, small, you can DEFINITELY take them home.

5 Likes

If you’re concerned, maybe a hotel while you visit?

4 Likes

You can certainly get them. I can’t give you reassurance. I personally would leave.

4 Likes

Hmmm how much do you love your Aunt?? Roaches are a huge problem and once you have one you have tons. While a good exterminator can get rid of them, is it really something you want to be bothered with? Just because you didn’t bring one home last time, doesn’t mean you won’t this time. :confused:

5 Likes

If they are small, they are the German variety and they are IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of and spread extremely easily! It is very, very likely to bring them home even after just visiting someones house who has them.

1 Like

Help her get rid of them.

1 Like

Best advice ever… DONT STAY THERE

12 Likes

Spray your bags and all around them with raid, not hot shot!!! It should detour them. My opinion.

1 Like

Depends where you live. My sister visits from Louisiana, brought one or two in luggage. They can’t live here in cold Wisconsin winters.

5 Likes

Get some Combat roach hotels.

Take all of your belongings directly to a laundry mat and dry everything on high heat before brining it home

2 Likes

They are very hard to get rid of. Don’t want to scare you, but yes you can still take them home with you. I have been through this for a very long time. So I know. You will have to bomb and bomb again to get rid of them. You can carry them in your vehicle as well. To be honest I wouldn’t stay there. I had people come to my place and I never had them and they did. Couple days later I found some in my place. I was not happy. I even had them when I was growing up at my mother’s house. They bomb it and everything. I haven’t lived there since I was 14. You need to be very very careful. You can get them in Walls and anywhere and everywhere

2 Likes

Leave all your luggage outside when you get home. Empty it there and make sure you shake every thing really well. Also if you have a big freezer put belongings in there for several days or through them ib a hot dryer. Google luck

1 Like

If you honestly wouldn’t have gone to stay cause you thought it would be better and you got there and it wasn’t, then just leave?

2 Likes

Help her get rid of them!

4 Likes

Huge chance you’ll take them home with you. If an egg is left in yours stuff, you’ll have a full blown infestation within weeks. This is depending on the type of roach but the most common, breed like crazy. So no, I wouldn’t go anywhere that I knew or even suspected had roaches.

4 Likes

Don’t take your luggage into your home. Spray the luggage outside. Take the contents in and wash everything. We visited in Pasadena, Texas and they had roaches. Bad news. Make sure we didn’t brings any home we sprayed our luggage a lot and then washed everything. Thankfully we didn’t bring any critters home.

2 Likes

They will hitch a ride in something, all it takes is one…

3 Likes

Baking soda all around the kitchen and on counters. Just a few sprinkles goes s as long way. They take it to their nest and eat it. It bubbles up in their bodies and kills them. Give it a week or two and do It a second time for the hatched eggs.

Don’t wear your shoes inside your house when you get home either

I’m sorry but I will not stay , as many others say it’s a huge chance that you will take them home

4 Likes

Get some bombs, and spray from somewhere cheap and help her get rid of them.

2 Likes

You will probably take them in home just wash everything in really hot water

1 Like

Take everything luggage and all do not take into house put in black garbage bags with roach spray inside and let sit for a week before opening when you arrive home.

Why doesn’t your Aunt get an exterminator? What normal person wants to live with roaches?

3 Likes

Pay orkin a one time fee to exterminate. They do a great job. They’ll try to push the 8 month contract but tell them no, you only want for one month. Have them come and then come again before the end of the month. No roaches at all

2 Likes

Omg. Take care of your Aunt and the damn roaches.

1 Like

Wash everything right away when you get home high heat I mean even your luggage bags if you can those roaches are relentless

1 Like

I’ve cleaned houses for all types of people. I’ve seen roaches in rich peoples houses and poor. They can live in the walls.

12 Likes

Have you looked into WHY she has them and isn’t getting rid of them?
Does she need help?
Should someone be caring for her?

3 Likes

Eww so gross. I would stay at a hotel for the rest of my stay and def tell her why. She may not know…

Put moth bLls in your luggage with clothes and shoes you wont get them

1 Like

How long are you staying? Order this for her (and some for yourself just in case-actually there’s 4 tubes of it so, just order one set)
https://www.amazon.com/advion-Plungers-Cockroach-Insecticide-Australian/dp/B00730QW70/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?adgrpid=113429953429&hvadid=651225974357&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9023228&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=13792757180340598762&hvtargid=kwd-493134356312&hydadcr=5603_13318672&keywords=best+roach+killers&qid=1688433093&sr=8-3

1 Like

Leave everything in your vehicle shower and bag.

Get a exterminator to spray the house

I got nothing to reassure you hun, those vile things get into everything.
We went to a hotel once that had them, we left when we saw them and then I left all our belongings on the driveway-my purse and everything. We then took apart every bag the next day-on the driveway :joy:
I would have a serious mental breakdown if I ever found one in my house.
*They can also live and thrive inside electronics.
Fun fact: they can survive a nuclear/chemical war

4 Likes

No. That’s nasty. Even sitting on her furniture can get eggs and stuff on your clothes and you’ll take them to friends houses or wherever you go. Doesn’t matter if you see them or not, you’re carrying them.

2 Likes

Stop being a baby or go home you sound ridiculous

7 Likes

Check your clothes one by one and when you get home leave them outside another thing if you have a storage unit or anything like that put your stuff in there for a bit either way don’t take your stuff inside for a few days and wash everything once you do would be my advice my in-laws had roaches and I had to move a bunch of stuff out before I put everything in storage and bombed it

3 Likes

Very easy for you to take home! :broken_heart:

Be careful. I brought one home in my purse after visiting an infested house.

If she has a box of baking soda sprinkle some in your shoes,purse,and in your bags. You can sneak it to your room and not hurt her feelings or just ask for it …tell her you want brush your teeth with it to whiten them.

Use 20 mule tea.m borax just scatter it around behind stuff they get it on their legs licker their legs and die

Book a hotel room. I’d refuse to stay anywhere I have to worry about roaches or bedbugs. Some people accept roaches as a fact of life, but really, you don’t have to live with them.

I have 3 rent houses and someone told me about
Combat it’s at Walmart its big but it kind of looks like a big, hypodermic needle anyway I put it in all 3 houses and it’s been 10 years still no roaches till this day

Hire her a exterminator help both of you

Sorry I don’t go into any house that has roaches…nope…if it’s my parents or siblings…I will pay to get rid of them…no way will I let my family live with them…

When I was growing up my grandma had roaches. ( she got rid of them) lots of money and time. Anyways i remember one time we was going to the movies (I was probably 7) I felt something crawling on my head and it was a roach my mom about knocked me out trying to kill it lol. But seriously just don’t stay there

I would leave everything outside when you get home.
Take everything out to shake/bang because you want to dislodge those suckers, as they will hide anywhere to hitch hike.

Hopefully they are the big ones. They live in the drains and sewers and are not as “contagious”

If they are the tiny ones… you’re in big trouble because they live in the walls and furniture and you can take them home with you.

If they are indeed German roaches… put absolutely everything into plastic bags and don’t take it inside when you get home. They need to be ziplock bags, not just trash bags.

Wash everything right away in HOT water and dry on high heat.

Roach killer doesn’t kill eggs.

Make sure you put cotton in your ears. Wouldn’t want one crawling in your ears while you sleep.