I am terrified of having another c-section: Advice?

I’m due for my 4th c-section in two weeks with tubal ligation, she is coming a few weeks early at 36weeks due to complications. :pensive::sweat: I feel the same way as you, anxiety is at all time high. I know what to except however, I’m a nervous wreck.

My 2nd was a breeze compared to my first. Not really scheduled but was planned with the OB. After 2 weeks I couldn’t even tell that I had a csection, the healing was a lot easier!

Ill be honest since I have anxiety also. I was not at all ready for my second one, my first was an emergency but I also knew my surgeons and met the anesthesiologist before I went in and they really took care of me, walked through the process it’s alot more easy going and slow. It drags on before they get baby out and the stitching is slower and recovery was a little bit more painful for me but quicker.
It’s nerve wracking but it really is so much better.

I’ve had 5 with 1 all natural vaginal thrown in the mix
First was an emergency C-section
Second was a scheduled one but she came early but still by C-section
Third came early and was an all natural vaginal birth, no time for pain meds or anything, she was crowning by the time I was unloaded from the ambulance
Fourth came super early but was still a C-section
Fifth and sixth were both scheduled C-sections but came early and we’re still delivered by C-section

Personally it got easier with each one, I was up and walking with no catheter about 2 hours after my last one

Ive had 3 c-sections in past 6 years and feel free to reach out to me PM if u need someone to vent the anxiety/fear to. There’s no words for how terrified i was of c sections entire 9 months being that i cant even get basic blood work without fainting :joy: so you are VALIDATED !!! But i must say… all 3 of mine went as good as possible. First one was 10.5 pounds so i tried to have her natural but come midnight doctors we like yea you havent dialated whatsoever, wheel her back. Lol

Man my 1st hurt like a sonofabitch and it wasnt scheduled. My 2nd one was a breeze, very little pain. Eat as soon as you can. My 3rd one I had last year and ordered a full course meal right after and told them to forget the liquid crap and it made a difference. Get up and move when you can drink plenty of fluids etc and you’ll be fine! Having my 4th one in August and its stressful in general but just wait to hold that baby and it all goes out the window! Good luck mama!

Vanessa Blankenhorn lea los comentarios!

1 Like

I had 2 emergency c-sections, 17 months apart. The 2nd one was scheduled for February 22, a couple of weeks ahead of my due date, March 8th. He ended up being early … January 22. This was in 1990. I was scared each time, but I am a Christian, so I’ve learned to just hand worries over to God. Really, the important thing is that you trust your doctor. Make healthy choices, eat right, exercise appropriately, and get in touch with your spiritual side. When you are anxious and upset, it’s not good for your health or the baby’s health. Find a hobby that calms you. It is stressful to think about, so don’t dwell on it. Your friends and family are trying to console you by telling you it’s no big deal, don’t worry about it, etc., Because they know it’s important for you to stay calm. The best part about c sections is that you will have specialized care, and won’t have to go through the pain of natural delivery!

I just had my second section last December. I was horrified at the thought of having another one even though my first scheduled surgery went perfectly. My advice would be to try and mentally prepare yourself as much as possible. Take yourself through the steps if you can that way you sort of know what to expect. I also asked for oxygen during my section to help ease my mind bc I also had horrible anxiety. That way I felt that I was still getting deep breaths throughout. Keep your eyes closed and just breathe! Looking around the OR at all the excitement can definitely make it more nerve-wrecking. Preparing mentally helped me tremendously the second time around. It’ll all be over before you know it and once your sweet little love is out you will only be focused on them! Good luck, you’ll do great! :heart:

I was in the same boat as you first time around. Second was scheduled due to me being high risk with a larger baby. Everything about it was SO much easier. I knew what to expect, I didn’t suffer through 18 hrs of labor, his birthday wasn’t a surprise and recovery was a breeze! I had severe anxiety over the process, but my OB was awesome and explained everything step by step—most nerve wracking thing was the spinal. Best of luck, mama!

My first was an emergency c-section after an epidural everything went fine. My second became a unexpected scheduled c-section due to my son being breech and having extra fluids. I had a spinal for my son and it was the worst! I felt everything so much if I couldn’t handle anymore pain I would have been put to sleep. But the healing process for my second was so different and less painful… I was up and walking fine the next day and left the hospital after three days.

My last delivery was a c-section after two natural births. To be honest the recovery from the surgery was so much faster than from the natural births I had.
I know everyone’s experience is different, but I think some people make it seem like a natural birth means a quicker recovery time and that wasn’t the case for me.

I was the same way with my second c-section that was scheduled cause I had one before because she wouldn’t come an i was two weeks late, the second one I was 36 weeks pregnant with my son when I had him because my placenta ruptured. But I remember everyday thinking “omg another one the first time was horrible, ugh they have to poke my back with that damn needle then I have to lay there trying to think of everything else but their hands in me” like all those thoughts :thought_balloon: and more of course but once it was done an I was closed and moved into my room I just took a huge breath of relief that it was finally over and I wanted to see my son but that night I couldn’t but that’s a different experience. But I understand the anxiety the stress of when it’s happening or going too but try to count the dots or squares in the ceiling, or think about what you want to eat after, or which boob you’re going to use first to breast feed. But regardless what you thinking once you take a huge breath of relief in your room while it is quite you realize you’re stronger then ever and its a new beginning of new life with another bundle of joy :two_hearts:

I had an emergency one and a scheduled one. So much better the second second time around. I didn’t bleed as much and my baby tolerated it way better. I had general the first time and a spinal the second. Way different. Even the healing went better.

My first one was emergency due to preterm labor. And my second scheduled…got to say don’t worry. You will be closely monitored and not feel anything. If u ever had to be put under don’t worry! Praying for you and baby!

My second was quick had him in my arms after an hour of getting to the hospital and went home the next day.

I had 2 and the second was much easier than the first. I healed quicker, I was in much less pain, and I was more prepared. I was up walking within hours with the second while with the first I couldn’t even stay awake for a day.

I had 2. My 2nd was much better then my 1st. My nerves were horrible & i was terrified but the experience was MUCH better. Recovery, not so much.

The exact same thing happened to me during my first pregnancy with my sons heart rate dropping and had to have an emergency c-section. With my second son my dr. Recommend a c-section.
I had absolutely no problems at all. My dr. Used the same incision line. My son was perfectly fine and I honestly felt I recovered faster with my second.
Good vibes Girl. You got this

My 1st was an emergency c section because my water had been broken for 24 hours and heartbeat was getting erratic.
13 months later I delivered twins. I was told they would monitor 1 internally and the other externally. If the second went into distress while vaginally delivering the first, they would do another emergency c section. On the spot I told my doctor that they went in the same entrance, by God they were coming out the same exit!!! Best decision ever! I had my hands full with 3 babies under 13 months and I had already had 1 c section so I knew what to expect!
I hope you have a healthy pregnancy and delivery!

I’ve had 4 c-sections and was scared shitless every single time. I would be on the brink of panic attacks. My kids all came early so I never made it to their scheduled date so I didn’t have time to process how fast things were moving. Once I was all numbed up surgery went pretty fast and every recovery went really well. Up and out of bed within hours and discharged on the second day.

My daughter 11 years ago was breech. I didnt know till last minute my midwife kept saying I will deliver naturally. So I went in for a checkup then sent to the hospital at 39weeks and 4 days pregnant to triage for a C-Section. I had all the first time mom emotions my birth plan…what birth plan that went out the window. Just all the unexpected and not knowing made me such a mess. But I had all those emotions put to rest when I heard her first cry it was all worth it all the craziness had a beautiful purpose all 8pounds 80zs of my beautiful daughter. Now 11 years later I am pregnant now with a little boy I am almost 26weeks I am due in September my doctor has scheduled me already for a C-SECTION just to be on the safe side it dosent mean I have to have one. Really tho I want to go and have another one I know what to expect yes the recovery isnt the greatest but I feel for me its probably the best decision. I am a small framed female I tend to have large babies. I think if you think and stay positive about the surgery everything will be ok. Good luck mama I hope you get ad make some kind of peace with this before you go in. Hugs

I had two, 1st one was an emergency due to her heart rate dropping( cord was wrapped around her neck) 2nd one was planned and it was so much easier, it’s natural to be scared as your having surgery, think about it the doctors and nurses are prepared for the csection, they are not rushed as it’s planned, you get to be awake so you know whats happening during the birth and you can see your new little one right awayand know that they are ok. you can have every thing at home planned out, make sure you have stuff for simple meals, all laundry caught up, you can have things ready for your child at home. You’ve got this momma

My second was an emergency csection. It was terrifying. Her heart rate kept dropping and she was facing up instead of down so every contraction was crushing her skull. My 3rd was a failed vbac which resulted in a scheduled csection. My OB was fantastic! I did take an anti anxiety medication the night before which I feel helped a TON!! I was super anxious and nervous just like you and up until the night I took the medication my OB prescribed I was down right terrified because of the horrific experience from the emergency csection. I will say that having it scheduled was a while different experience. Things were calm and everything was clearly explained to me the morning of. Where the emergency csection everything was rushed and just scary. I then had a release 3rd csection with my 4th child and did not take an anti anxiety medication thinking I would be fine because of the experience with my 2nd csection and I ended up have 2 panic attacks on the table. So if you can and handle them well I do recommend something to calm your nerves the night before for the morning. It helped me a lot!!

Soooo.
I’ve had this same situation. I had an emergency c section in January 201y and a scheduled c section in August 2018. My scheduled was AMAZING compared to my emergency. With my emergency c section I don’t really remember much I’d been in labor for 18 hours and it all happened very fast. My scheduled c section everything was so relaxed and the doctor talked to me the whole time. The one thing to remember is walk walk walk walk. It helps you heal SO much faster. My husband babied me with our first and it took forever to feel better. My second I was up walking 7 hours after the c section. I walked everywhere. I felt pretty good by day 3. Everyone is different of course. Just breathe mama.

A scheduled c-section is nothing like an emergent one! Night and day! My first was an emergency section and my second was scheduled, it went so smooth the second time! Do not worry! Your good :blush:

I had a similar experience and rest easy because this next one will be a million times better. Idk if u had to be put to sleep for your 1st one but I did and it’s super painful coming out of anesthesia, which u don’t have to do if you get to be awake like u do for scheduled c-sections. Mine was much much less painful than my 1st. I got some loose stretchy pajama pants from Walmart and put the hospitals giant maxi pad across the waist band where my incision was. Every time I moved I would just use my arm to apply gentle pressure to that area and omg it was such a huge help and pain relief.

Why do they recommend another c section after you have one??

I had 4 c-sections. Its not as bad as you think.

I had 2. My first was emergency after being in labor for 32 hours. It was a nightmare so I had lots of anxiety and fear about my second. Definitely partner with a doctor you feel safe with. My second was a much better experience, though I did have a panic attack going into it. Recovery was easier, my whole experience was better. I was walking around as soon as they allowed me to. It is so scary but I will say I’d take my second one over my 1st any day!

I’ve had 6 c-sections. My first was an emergency (as were my 5th and 6th) the planned ones are a totally different experience. It’s much calmer and not nearly as traumatic. Also after the first one you know better what movements to avoid and the pain in general I found to be much less.

My first c-sec was also 6 wks early and an emergency. I was shocked when my dr told me during my second that he’d see me on aug 15 at 730am . Due to them making a t invision I was told all my deliveries would be c-sec so total of four for me . I never was anxious about it as I feel it is easiest way without complications to get baby out . My only fear was gas pains after . Good luck :shamrock::pray:you can do it !

4 c sections. Not fun but you will be ok.

I’ve had 3. The 1st was emergency for almost the same reasons as you. I was pretty terrified as I went in to be induced and it went from 2 to 10 nurses in less than 5 minutes and then the OR in what seemed like a flash. My partner barely had time to get suited up to be in the room with me. I had been preparing for a natural birth with my midwife, definitely not the rush it became.

The 2nd and 3rd were elective. Honestly my last 2 were so great. I had my partner holding my hand, a really great and friendly team, and a smooth recovery. With my second the radio was playing “you are so beautiful” as my youngest daughter came into the world. I tear up remembering the moment. Very calm and beautiful experience.

I just had a csection yesterday. It went lovely. I was extremely nervous but the worst part for me the spinal block positioning.

1 Like

I had my second c section about 6 months ago and I was still pretty nervous about it. But what I learned from my first was to just breathe slow and know that in just less than an hour or two it will all be over and id have my baby in my arms. Sounds cheesy I know. But seriously I was so nervous I wanted to cry but once they took me in the room I just told myself over and over just breathe soon you’ll see your baby

My 1st was an emergency as he was stuck (to broad). I was moving and almost back to normal in 24 hours very little pain. My 2nd was scheduled 5 years later. I was panicked till I got to the hospital. The nurses took me back out on music and were telling jokes. When my doctor came in continued and even sang it was very low key. I was lucky to only have a lit bit more pain but for the most part it was nothing like the rest. Especially cause my 1st was taken to Nicu and my second never left my sight.

I had the exact same situation! If you had epidural with your first and then the heart rate issue started I will say be careful when you go in for c section because I had a reaction to it then as well and my heart rate and my second baby’s dropped rapidly again. We both are completely ok it was just a bit scary because I saw stars and almost fainted. Now I know if I have another child to let them know that I am sensitive to the medication and what to expect.

1 Like

Both my boys were c section first as well was emergency i was nervous with my second as well becuz of how i remembered how sore it was with my first healing wise… But when i was actually doing it since i already knew the drill i found it actually enjoyable because i knew what to expect but i totally understand anxiety i get it pretty bad so it was almost like i was in charge a little bit

1 Like

I wish the best of luck to you I also found out that I have to have a second C-section and it’s Wrecking my nerves badly I can’t get past the feeling of having to move my legs again the gas pain and it’s just all around one of the most awful things I’ve ever experienced extremely nervous so I hope everything goes well for you

I’ve had 4 and I’ll tell you, the best thing I did was ask the surgeon for and abdominal binder for after. Made the biggest difference for recovery. Good luck and I’ll pray for a good surgery, healthy baby and good recovery

My first was also emergency and my second scheduled and I felt the same way.
But in the end both were fine, it’s just the build up if knowing what’s going to happen that’s scary. Recovery for my second was also easier I was up and walking with in a couple hours, granted during my first c section. We didnt know I had a latex allergy😬 ouch like a MF after due to the catheter being latex.

Just talk to your nurses and doctors. They’re the only ones who can really help make you feel more at ease with these procedures.

Scheduled is sooooo much better than emergency.
My 1st was emergency & was quite traumatic. 2nd & 3rd were scheduled. They were calm, controlled & I was able to enjoy them. I recovered a lot quicker too.
Good luck. You’ll be fine. Congrats on the soon-to-be new addition

My 2nd was amazing. Not scary or rushed like the first one. U know what to expect already. It will go much smoother than what u experienced the first one. No rushing around. You can do it. My 2nd c section was twins

1 Like

You will be fine but it sounds like you have a little ptsd. Have a chat to your midwifes and dr, it’s a big thing to go through.

I just had my second one last Tuesday, I was extremely nervous, my first was an emergency as well for the same reason :heart: I know this will be hard, but try to stay calm, I was panicking about the needles but it wasn’t as terrible as I thought it’d be. I will say that you may feel the sensation of tugging- it was weird it felt lie I was in a waterbed. My best advice is to stay calm and just think about your baby, how great it will be to meet your baby :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart: The anesthesia had an odd affect on me, because I got so worked up. I feel so much better after a week, I’m still tender of course but I’m recovering well. You got this! I completely understand how you feel- but everything will be ok :heart::heart:

1 Like

Have you been advised to have the section? Because you could try natural?
But if there is cause for concern like first time round it’s the best thing for you and baby. Plus it will all be over before you know it. Its planned so u know what’s going on :heartpulse: All u need to focus on is getting your baby here safely and getting those first cuddles xxx

I have had 4 c sections . My first was emergency c section. The other three were all. Sections but let me tell you the first one took about a week to get over but the rest three days later I was shopping and running errands . Now I am not saying to push yourself . Give yourself time to heal. What I am trying to say the first emergency c section is hard to get over but the next one you know what worked and how to get yourself through it. Mind set

1 Like

I had an emergency csection with my second child, it was a very traumatic experience, we had no time and the amount of drugs to get me ready fast was alot and it hit me like a ton if bricks I couldn’t hold my son til the next day because of it…I just had a second one in March that was planned was very anxious about it…it was much easier, calmer and it went very smoothly

It really isn’t too bad. with it being more organized it does seem a little better. My story is the same as yours , emergency the first one, and I just didnt want to take a chance with #2. I had a maternity massage the day before to help relax. I did not sleep much the night before, for lots of reasons…but 5 a.m. came early and by 8:10 a.m. I had my sweet baby girl. Prayers going up for you for peace. You can do this!

1 Like

My scheduled csection went way better than my emergency one. This time you’ll know what to expect with recovery. Get up and walk as soon as you can. I know it’s hard not to be anxious, but try not to stress. Plus you have plenty of time to ask all your questions, and get prepared. Best of luck.

My 1st was an emergency c-section. Then I had 3 VBAC’S after bc I was too scared to go through that again unless I had too

My first c-section was emergency with my daughter and had I those exact same fears with my son for his schedule c-section. It wasn’t bad at all, don’t stress yourself out about it. My scheduled c-section went just fine.

My first was also a emergency c-section same thing his heart rate kept dropping and was told if I had more kids they would have to be under 6lbs or so because I had small birth canal and that’s why my first son got stuck, w/ my second son I opted to have c-section because he was sams size as my older son and even longer so I knew he wouldn’t fit either then after that I had no choice but to deliver c-section where I had 2 so I had all 4 of my sons by c-section, it is scary and the worst part for me was the spinal I hated those

My 5 baby was c section due to being breech. It was a terrible experience for me and suggest talking to your doctor. I have a scheduled c section coming up in August and I brought to my doctors attention my worries and fears and he has brought me to a point of acceptance, calmed my nerves and fears for now. Way more than my family.

My first c-section was an emergency situation. My 2nd and 3rd c-sections were scheduled and they were a breeze! No terrible contractions and I knew what to expect because of the 1st!

1 Like

My wife’s first was an emergency c-section which went well. Two more planned went as perfect as could be. And my daughter in law just had her second kiddo and both were c-sections. Both went very well.
Rest assured you will be in good hands.

My first c- section was an emergency for the same reason in 2006. 2013 I scheduled my second c-section. Felt so much better the second time knowing what to expect. I knew I had to get up and moving as soon as possible. Was out in 3 days with my baby girl.

I had so much more anxiety with the second. I think it’s because you know what to expect. It all ended up just fine. I’ll be having my third in August and I’m already feeling myself getting nervous thinking about it. No advice but I think it’s totally normal! Good luck.

I had both my kids by schedule c- section, I was able to plan ahead and the recovery was great ! If you over think it you will make it harder on yourself :blush:

My first born was a emergency and it was a horrible experience I was so scared to have it and recovery seemed long and painful. That was 2002, 2nd one was in 2006 and was a scheduled c-section was a way better experience and recovery seemed better this time around too, 3rd one was this year and so much easier and recovery was so much faster and not as painful as the last two. I was still super nervous and anxious but who wouldn’t be it’s a pretty big procedure but with the technology now it makes things so much nicer and easier. Hang in there mama you got this!!

My C section was so easy. I had my C section at 12:24am, out if recovery room by 2am and had a shower ( with the help of a plastic bag and tape) by 530am. The pit only caused minor cramping. So yes, for me my experience was wonderful. I feel bad for those women who have had it hard. God blessed me

I had 2 csections!! Best decision i ever made!!! You’ll be great!! Stay strong!!

I’m a labor and delivery nurse. Scheduled c-sections go much better and calmer than emergency ones. However have you considered a vaginal birth instead?

1 Like

I’m 30 weeks and I’m also terrified of my 2nd c-section. But I just remember knowing I got to see my baby boy after it was all done so I try to stay calm for the new baby boy that is coming.

I had 3 C-sections. The first an emergency. I felt little to no pain with any of them. They all went well.

I was so scared with my second c-section. And I think it was because I had time to think about it. My pain was actually reduced and I moved a lot better. I think it was quite nice.

You know what to expect the 2nd time around, you got this.

I’ve had 2 csections. The first one i was put under and didn’t get to hold my baby until 3 days later. For my second i went natural until 39 mins before my baby was born… i got an epidural and went numb 15 mins after i got it and then his heartrate started dropping so another 24 mins went by and i got a csection to save my baby’s life. When you’re pregnant you do everything in your power to protect your baby and make sure they come into this world safely even if it means getting another csection. Be strong momma. Everything will be ok. Who knows. You might not even need one this time around. Oh yes i watched the whole process of the 2nd csection i got. I watched them pull out my boy. Hehe. It wasn’t as bad as the first one i had. Recovery was a breeze for. Seemed shorter too. I was up and about and energetic and able to hold and tend to my baby after 3 hrs of napping. The pain wasn’t as bad as the first one i got. So you have plenty of time to even worry about anything. Dont stress yourself out. Its not good for you or your baby. So just enjoy your pregnancy and take it day by day.

2 Likes

My first was somewhat emergency… second was scheduled and was so much easier! You’ve got this!

Promise to pray…
Please let us know you are ok :pray:

Keep your knees together.

1 Like

Have you thought about a vaginal birth

You don’t have to do a c- section if you don’t want to

1st c section was an emergency, blood pressure bottomed out multiple times. I actually coded twice. 6 Months of healing and post partum depression. I was in your shoes , petrified of c section #2. It was legitimately the easiest one. I knew what I was getting myself into. Doc was great . 2 hours afterwards I was up and moving . It was smooth , easy and no issues . ** sending hugs ** you’ve got this. Just remember to move around, get up , walk . You’ve got this !!!

My 1st was an emergency csection and horrible. My 2nd and 3rd were great. I was up and moving around in a few hours. I recovered faster.

I have 4 kids and one was a c section. I went in for my appointment and an hour later had my baby boy. He was breach and I didn’t want them to do anything to him to make him move so I just had a c section. It wasn’t that bad. I lost a lot of blood but I also did when I had my vaginal births. Since you already had one you know what recovery is like. That’s the only thing…the pain afterwards!

Did they give you the option to go natural, my first was a c-section due to the same reasons as yours but my 2nd and 3rd were both natural with no complications, then my last was another emergency c…

Believe me scheduled is a much smoother process and recovery is so much better…my 1st was also and emergency c section… i was not able to walk for days it was horrible but the 2 that were scheduled were a breeze, i was up moving around same day within hours of the procedure. Good luck! Dont stress!

You will be fine! The OB doctors have done them thousands of times. I’ve had 3 of them. I was nervous each and every time. If it’s the procedure that you’re worried about, take the advice that you’re being given by everyone giving it… you will be fine! If it’s the recovery you’re worried about, I won’t lie. The 2nd one was a little worse during recovery because of them going through scar tissue from the 1st one. My 3rd one was a breeze though. They cut me about 1/4 inch higher the 3rd time. So if that’s a concern, you can ask about that. Once that baby is here, you’ll forget all about the fear and worries. Good luck momma!

I had an emergency c section the first time. It broke my heart and soul .i felt robbed. I was told second time around! I could try natural if I wasn’t in such rural area. In the end I was scheduled for second desertion. My healing and recovery was much fast and went smoother then the first time. I knew what to expect. For myself personally first time I ended up with 35 staples I found it hell second time I told them stitches only. I was better the second time around as I knew what to expect . I wish you and you new baby happy delivery and your family new addition to your family.

2nd round was unbelievably easy and not painful at all