I breastfed for 15-months and still don't have a period: Has this happened to anyone else?

So I breastfed for the first 15 months, I stopped about a month ago and still no period. I already get freaked out because my ob says well if it doesn’t come back within a month or two, we will have to look into birth control, which I don’t want ever again had Mirena surgically removed bad experience with pill and depo. Estrogen levels look fine. He says well probably from breastfeeding, but a worst-case could be a pituitary tumor. I’m freaking out!!! Can’t scare someone who already gets freaked out so easy with stuff. I have two kids. 4 and 16 months and always had periods. The first few days always heavy, maybe a day or two irregular but always got them. This ever happened to anyone else? Should my period come back soon?
#!

10 Likes

Did you take pregnancy test ?

2 Likes

Breastfed mine for 13.5 months and never got a period until about a month after i stopped.

It took almost 3 months for my period to come back once I quit breastfeeding. I only got 1 though before I got pregnant again. Be patient and try not to worry, it will come back

I didn’t have mine while breast feeding. When she starting eating some I started. Though be careful I had one period and then found out I was pregnant again.

1 Like

Really? Of course this happens, it’s a common occurrence, and it also doesn’t mean you can’t get pregnant, you can. I really wonder about the validity of some of these questions, grown women cannot be this ignorant, can they?

5 Likes

When in doubt, consult a doctor, not FB, that’s my motto :woman_facepalming::ok_hand::woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

It’ll probably take a few months to regulate your hormones again.

1 Like

It’s completely normal. It can take a while for a cycle to come back.

1 Like

Breastfeeding usually keeps your period away. The hormone that allows you to produce milk stops ovulation and stop your period too.
It’s not always true for everyone though. Some peoples bodies are more sensitive to it and others have their period the whole time they’re breastfeeding.

It took me 6 weeks to get mine back

It happens but do not be fooled. You can still get pregnant

5 Likes

24 months the last 6 was morning and night only. My dr said sometimes it’s up to 6 months I wouldn’t worry. lol I mean do you want your period? I didn’t

2 Likes

Idk aren’t these questions you should be asking your Dr? How the hell we know what’s going on inside your uterus? Take a pregnancy test. If you’ve been allowing semen to be deposited into you then you’re probably pregnant, duh. Fuck birth control too…ladies…you can’t get pregnant if you don’t allow semen to be put inside you, trust me, it works :roll_eyes:

Did they test for pcos? That will stop periods too

Calm down, doctors have to give you the worst case. I didn’t get mine back for a couple of months.

My son is 17 months I didn’t get mine back till 13 months and after my periods have not been regular as we are still nursing.

Get a SECOND OPINION :heart:

1 Like

I have a pituitary tumor a diagnoses of acromegaly and I still have regular periods its extremely rare so I wouldnt freak yourself out so much it is prob from breast feeding your prolactin level is probably still high it took me 2 months after stopping to have a period.

You never HAVE to go on birth control of you don’t want to, I’ll never understand why so many Drs act as if it’s just something we have to do if we’re not ttc.

Just get a second opinion.

I have breast feed all 3 in fact in feeding my 23 month old now, with my first he was 8 months old when I got it back, #2 was 13 months and my youngest was 18 months, it will come back when it comes back enjoy it

2 Likes

I beast feed my youngest son until he was 22 months old my period didn’t come back for another 3 months after I stopped

Mine always came back about a year after having baby right as I was cutting back on nursing.

Stressing about it isn’t going to help. Stress can delay your period too

I EP for 10.5 months with my son, and anticipated my period to come back quickly, especially because I did a super gradual decrease with my pumping, and it still took 2 months for my cycle to come back. Once it came back, I was more regular than ever!

You don’t haft to do anything she’s full of it.

Look into fertility awareness methods of birth control. I have been off hormonal birth control for two years now almost three

Instead of birth control, you can ask to take progesterone. Usually people trying to conceive take it. I took it because I have pcos and would have very long cycles and then took it for the first 14 weeks of pregnancy because of miscarriage history.

Basically the progesterone makes your body think you’re pregnant so you take it for 7 days and your uterine lining builds up. Then after the 7 days the withdrawal of it will tell your body it was just a cycle and not the real deal. You’ll she’d your uterine lining and menstruation will happen just like in a regular cycle.

The pills are cheap even if your insurance doesn’t cover it and you only need it once usually. Ask your obgyn to try that instead.

Yes! I breastfed my daughter until 14 months and got a period after 1 yr and my son until a week past 2 years old and didn’t get a period until the day of his 2nd birthday. I bet you’re okay but if you’re concerned, check with your doctor!

1 Like

It’s only been a month… The Dr said to wait a month or two…

1 Like

It’s definitely from breastfeeding and nothing to worry about. Just know that without a period you don’t know when your ovulating and you can get pregnant like you would normally and may not know because you aren’t getting a period.

Stop freaking out. It’s more common than you think. Just be careful not to get pregnant because you’re not having your period. And it’s not that uncommon to not have . While and after breastfeeding

Try to relax, remember that stress can also cause your period to be late or missed…

1 Like