I couldn't eat after giving birth: Is that normal?

When I had my baby, I couldn’t eat or drink anything for days after giving birth even though I was shaking and starving. I had to force myself just to take a drink or have a bite of food. Did anyone else get like this? My sister had a big mac combo right after

17 Likes

I was super sick after having my son I couldn’t keep anything down for a while.

I had loss of appetite after birth for both my kids. I had to force my self to eat smaller meals for a few weeks.

1 Like

I was your sister lol I ate a large size Mac meal I couldn’t wait to eat or drink I was eating ice

I ate during labor and was still starving and ate so much after

I loss my appetite after mine, I forced myself to have a salad.

I couldn’t eat or sleep for the first 48 hours because of the excitement and other moods

Same girl! I was in the hospital for 3 days and could barley eat or drink even though I was starving. I was craving McDonald’s after birth but just couldn’t stomach it once it was in sight

I had the same thing happen with one of my kiddos. I did broths/soups and protein shakes. My body went into major shock and the “after shock” of shock as I called it was worse and lasted 4 days. It was kinda scary but it passed and then I was ravenous. Best of luck to you mama. :heart:

I had loss of appetite for several weeks after i gave birth

I was the same I think it’s the adrenaline from the experience and your hormones being weird and being sleep deprived all wrapped up into one… everyones body experiences things differently

Everyone responds differently. I didn’t get my appetite back until weeks later. I ate when I absolutely had to. I had a c-section and they tell you it comes back much later. I still fluctuate with feeling hungry and not.

I ate everything in site after my first 2 kids. after my 3rd one I waited almost the whole day before I ate anything. I would say it’s pretty normal though. cause even an “easy” birth can still be pretty traumatic on the body. you could always drink ensure or something til you get your appetite back

i was like this!! it took me about a full week or two before i got any sort of appetite back. definitely try some protein shakes and stuff like that to hold the place of real food!

Same. But I had major complications. Just go slow. I ate crackers and sprite

Was healthy as a horse ate like one to lol

I ate everything I could possibly get my hands on after both of my labors.

I didnt feel like eating after birth with my first either. The nurse made me eat though lol. With my second I wanted to eat but wasn’t really starving either but I had a lot of physical pain after birth with her that took a couple days to get over so pain took over hunger that I forgot to eat a lot of times.

My 1st I had to have an emergency c section at 28 weeks due to preeclamsia and I couldn’t make myself eat anything. My aversion was so bad I would throw up just smelling food just like during my pregnancy with him. My 2nd, I was your sister lol. I wanted nothing more than a spicy mcChicken with fries and a tall Dr Pepper lol, and got it lol.

I was starving right after. But whenever I had contractions from my uterus shrinking mostly while breastfeeding, I would feel sick to my stomach. But it usually passed quickly.

I had a big mac after my first too…but I threw that shit right back up…

I had loss of appetite but I thought that it had to do with my spinal headache. I’m just getting my appetite back and I had my baby a week ago

Yeah me too. It was so bad I couldnt breast feed. Wasnt making any milk even

It took me about 8 hours to eat, It took me about a week to really get my appetite back. It was weird.

Not me! I was BEGGING people to bring me food and wasnt allowed to have anything until the next day. Lol. (He was born by csection at 12:50pm and I was not allowed to eat until the next morning) You want to come see the baby? Awesome, dont show up without food and please hold him for me while I stuff my face. Lmao.

2 Likes

I had a ton of pizza in the delivery room lol I was starving

Its normal after having kids during and after I go thru fazes of having no appetite at all. Even though its been 3 years since I’ve gave birth to a kid I still feel like this and go through this.

1 Like

With my first I felt like that. In my case it was anxiety/shock because his birth was so traumatic. I pretty much just had to force myself to eat. After about a week or so my body regulated itself.
I had a c-section with my second and didn’t have that issue. I was STARVING…but I’d also had a nice anti-anxiety cocktail during my c-section and none of the emotional trauma

Yes this was me too, I had no appetite after my daughter 

I’m a vegetarian and they always brought me turkey sandwiches. I ate them so fast, lol

With my first child I had a emergency c section and did not eat for a few days

I didn’t eat for 3 days

I ate immediately after my first born… but the second was way different. It was a good 6-7 days before I ate anything.

I slept for a day . I had an urgent c section , and was knocked out afterwards . I only ate a few bites of a sandwich and diet sprit the next morning. I was starving but had to force my body to eat .

I didn’t eat for 24hours. I also slept through those hours.

I think everyone has different experiences. I was on liquids for 24hrs after and then was eating solids. But I had to make myself calm down and eat. I was so obsessed with just holding my son and soaking him up.

Yeah it took a while for me to feel hungry I just felt that empty of baby feeling and like couldn’t tell what hunger was like without baby in there!

I didn’t feel hunger but i ate cause i knew i had to

No that’s not normal

Emergency c section at 31 weeks and 3 days, it was a Saturday inwas more focused on my daughter in the nicu than myself, I barely left the nicu so no one realized I wasn’t getting meal cards to fill out, so had her on Saturday, ate my first food on Monday, a stale chicken salad sandwich a nurse dug up from somewhere when she realized I hadn’t eaten anything since the day before the c section, bread was rock hard, chicken was slimy, it was gross, tossed it after 1 bite and went back to the nicu. Got a real meal on Tuesday, left Wednesday morning

1 Like

I didnt have that problem. I could barely eat throughout my whole pregnancy. The second my kid was born, I was stuffing my face. I think we had a KFC family meal every night for a week because thats all I wanted to eat. :joy:

2 Likes

Yes happened to me with both my girls.

I was this way with the first baby. The second, I was on my way to chow town ASAP.
Everyone is different.

I was starving immediately after birth, mainly bc i was drained and had gone 24+ hours each time without eating. But after that first meal it took me several days to have an appetite at all. I had very small meals bc i knew i had to, but mainly just focused on fluids. Your appetite will eventually return!

Your sister & I are very alike

I couldn’t keep anything down after the birth of my second child…had a C-Section. Constantly throwing up. They had to give me a med in an IV to stop the nausea. That’s all that I remember.

1 Like

I couldn’t eat for about two days after. It was like an adrenaline thing. When I’m really nervous or excited I can’t eat and I think that’s what it was

This was me with both of my kids. I think it was because I had really bad anxiety. When my anxiety acts up I can’t eat.

I had a steak and cheese

Never happened to me until I had my youngest.

I literally didn’t eat or drink for the whole 3 days I was in the hospital. I think because hospitals are so gross too lol but when I went home I couldn’t stop eating lol

Yes I barely ate anything for 2 weekd

I didnt have problem eating… I was more worried about what to eat because that first poop is a killer for me. X.X

I ate and entire pizza from dominos and their chocolate lava cake IMMEDIATELY after my son was born and we finished our 15 mins of skin time skin before they took him to NICU… my mom even snuck me in some ice cream DURING labor because it had been 25 hours and I was starving. Since i did it all natural and no pain meds, my grandma (NICU/L&D nurse) distracted my medical team while I ate it and then kept an eye on me the entire 2 hours during /after when he was finally born.

I’ve only had c sections. My first I was in the hospital for 5 days and they wouldn’t let me have anything except broth. I was starving and way over ate when I finally got to go home. My second I was in for 2 days and was also not allowed food the entire stay

They starved me before birth so I was so hungry I ate so much

I was yelling at my mom to order food cuz once my baby’s out I’m ready to eat, as I was pushing him out lol… I’m pretty sure loss of appetite is normal though

Yes. Your body has been through war. Push tons of fluids. Your body will tell you when to eat…wait for it.

Going thru it now. I just schedule my meals and always have water around. Cuz i dont feel the hunger. Or the “oh i want a snack”

I had a csection and I didn’t eat hardly anything for a few weeks. I never felt hungry and constantly felt nauseous. :upside_down_face:

Wow. Lol after all my deliveries I wanted to mow down. Lol
I have never heard of no one who can’t eat lol

2 Likes

I didn’t eat anything but cookies lol but after giveing birth i did eat bk burger and felt very very sick so I just ordered walffuls the next morning am munched on them , try to just snack on small stuff , u have to think after a baby ur body changes , just take it easy

Not me I ate subway 12’ like maybe 2 hours if even that long after my delivery. :rofl:🤦

Couldn’t eat properly for a while

1 Like

:rofl::rofl:I ate everything in sight and had hubby bring me lots of extras! I found I couldn’t sleep, was just hungry

1 Like

As my gastroenterologist explained to me, your insides get moved out of the way to fit the baby, after child birth it is normal for your insides to never go back into place. This could cause you to not be hungry or feel sick when you eat.

I had an emergency C.
I didn’t eat anything like the first week except for the food they gave me in the hospital.
All I did was feed the baby and sleep the first week.
Only the 2nd week home did I eat a little here and there.
By the 3rd week I couldn’t really stop eating

After having both my girls I was completely starving! But I’ve heard others say they couldn’t eat… everyone is different

My first I was. It was so bad I was drinking enssures once in the morning and one for supper it made me so full I couldn’t actually eat anything. I had to retrain myself to eat, it was really weird but my Dr said it sometimes happened and to keep making myself eat.

I remember everyone asking what i wanted to eat. And i justbwasmt hungry i had to force myself to eat the 1st couple days. I assumed it was just part if the way i handled the adrenaline rush.

I didn’t have much of an appetite. I had to force myself to eat. My body was dead

Ur dehydrated
Powerade …a ton of it
Especially when nursing
Ur appetite will come back once ur hydrated

After we brought our son home, I could hardly stand for long periods like showering was to much. Couldn’t eat or drink very much. My body was in distress from dehydration. I pushed fluids to no avail and boom, back to normal within a few days.

With my daughter I was eating hot wings between contractions and than I had her at 9:36 pm so they just couldn’t find anything to feed me in the hospital :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: but I would’ve eaten like 6 horses given the opportunity

After my vaginal birth I was stuffing my face an hour afterwards, but after my csection I wasn’t interested in food for over a month - it sucked forcing myself to eat… Now im lucky if I can find time to make myself a meal :joy:

This is me right now. Had baby on Thursday and I have to force myself to eat anything. I also can’t sleep at all. I try so hard but I struggle. He is a great baby so I’m thinking it’s probably just the hormones causing me anxiety.

I kept being sick with my 1st didnt eat a proper meal for a few days just took small sips of drink as often as i could