I don't know what I want to do with my life

My daughter 28 has been a single mom since day 1. I did not let her get onto the system for this reason. She works hard, provides for her and her son, is on her own. The price of day care does not make things easy for her but she has no choice. You do what needs to be done.

3 Likes

I would definitely recommend community College for you. You have to take so many different classes that it’s a perfect opportunity to figure out what you like and what you want to have a career in. I’m getting my masters right now and started in community College having no idea what I wanted. One class changed it all

1 Like

First time in a long time I’ve seen a serious post and mostly helpful responses

3 Likes

It’s ok I suggest you go to your nearest local community college and ask to speak to a Career counselor they can help you make a goal and also guide you to reach that goal don’t worry you’re gonna be fine

I turn 27 this Sunday. I just now decided what I want to do and plan on trying to go back to school next year and I have 2 month old and 3yr old and work so I’m nervous about studying and classes

Get your GED and If you have no passion to continue your education then spruce up your résumé and apply for some customer service positions. You can even work remotely from home. Most of these jobs start you off at least $17 an hour. A lot of companies will pay for your education, so while you’re doing customer service you can even pursue your associates and bachelors for free!! good luck to you!!
It’s never too late!!

1 Like

Just get a job. Why are you still on welfare?

1 Like

Don’t be scared momma! We all have different timelines. Get your G.E.D. Do some soul searching on who you are. You’re more than a mother. Find out who you are without your children & partner! Find what make you happy! Everyone has a passion, some just have to search harder to find what drives them!

1 Like

I didn’t know we had timeliness. I just figured out what I wanted to do and I’m 28. Thas becoming a social worker. Sometimes you have to think and it takes time. I have 3 kids.

3 Likes

There are some 40 and 50 year old’s that still don’t know what they want out of this life. The unknown is always scary but not trying new just because you are scared isn’t living. Start applying for jobs you think you’d like. There are plenty of places aside fast food that hire people without degrees. Get setup with a temp agency; they’ll help find you a job that fits the skill set you have and worse case scenario, if it doesn’t work out, you can find something else. Keep a journal, do some soul searching, and most importantly get a job that will give you a little satisfaction outside of just being a mother. You can do it, I have faith in you Pumpkin.

Find something you LOVE (anything really, a hobby, a passion, an interesting topic) and turn it into a career. Everyone has SOMETHING theyre interested in or like. If I had to do it over I wouldnt have chosen the same career/diploma I got bc I was rushed into it and chose the safest option not the option I LOVED. Now at 37 Im trying to get back to doing what I love and feel like im so far behind! If you love what you do, youll find happiness in even the most mundane tasks.

1 Like

I’m 51 and just going to college for the first time. Get your GED and maybe some tests online to see job recommendations

2 Likes

Go to the Community College, they have an apptitude test you can take. Will show you which careers might be of interest to you. Then take a few intro to classes and figure out which appeals.

1 Like

Breathe. I’m 36, mom of 3 and still figuring it out. Might end up back in school with one of my oldest. Who knows.

1 Like

How about being a Nurse. We always need more of them. You’d probably be awesome at that!!

3 Likes

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 20687 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.

M0re Info. https://amazingjobs798.netlify.app/

A I can say is it’s never too late to study and get qualified to do something… I didn’t get a great education as I was living on the streets by the time I was 15 then had my first baby at 17… Raising babies for 17 years… Then after my mumma passed away I went to TAFE NSW and studied a cert 4 in community service… Loved it… I want to continue studying to become a social worker… I’m 43… It’s never too late.

1 Like

I’m getting my nursing degree at 33. There’s no timeline just find what makes you happy. It’s never too late.

3 Likes

Same situation, same age, same predicament… I wish I had advice :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

I was just having a conversation with my friend about how when I was younger I really thought ppl my age (35) really had their shit together, he said no our parents where just good at lying to us. So don’t be so hard yourself, maybe take some college courses and see what you like. Just know you’re not a failure.

You are not alone! I am 90 years young and I still don’t know what I want to do when I grow up! At 18 yrs. I had won a scholarship in vocal music but got married instead, raised 4 lovely, hard working children, did sing at church, belonged to a Barber Shop quartet for a few years—singing at local schools etc, community choirs etc so my music was not wasted. My dad had told me if I went to college I would have to amount to sometrhing, and Frankly, it scared me off! I had thought of being a nurse but my dad had been a Medic in the army during WW2 and did not want me to pursue that career. As it turned out, I started working as a nurse aid and unit sec. in a rest home, when our youngest was about 4 years ,then 30 years in a hospital and loved it! Now at 90 years my dear husband has been gone over one year and I now live comfortably in an Assisted Living facility (I saved a lot of my wages–)and today I will watch online as one of our granddaughters graduates from nursing achool! So, for me, I have lived a full, rewarding life and helped produce grandchildren that will carry on the awesome nursing profession! We also raised a son who was a PA, the other 3 have succeessefully done well in their chosen professions and I have no regrets!! Good Luckl!!

9 Likes

Go for your GED if you have a lot of credits to get. Otherwise an adult HS diploma may be your best course of action if you only have a couple classes you have to finish. Then go to a community college and take a couple basic classes. Take a career aptitude test to see where your interests lie. There may be jobs/careers out there in something you love to do that you aren’t even aware is an option. It sounds like your boyfriend will be supportive of whatever you choose.

5 Likes

i’m srry that’s one answer i’m not good at answering i been having problems with that myself .i would just say go back to college figure ot there what u honestly would like to do -like with me i’d say something to do with computers maybe like computer programing . it would be helpfull to u and your kids when they need help on there computer , try whatever i guess u feel comfortable with - go back before it’s even to late for u ,but than again it’s never too late to go back to school . and besides i don’t thinl that u want to be on welfare for the rest of yor likfe anyway gl you will figure something out -glod bless and gl

1 Like

Start thinking about what you like doing and go from there … do you like office/administrative jobs? Do the hours and organization appeal to you? Do you like helping people? Like the medical field,CNA, nursing, etc. Are those hours and odd schedules ok with you? Would you like to work in a school? Do you like working with animals or computers? Think of what you naturally like doing. If you enjoy being a mom and working with kids … maybe looking into working at a preschool, opening your own daycare or going to school to become a teacher.

A great field to think about is becoming a social worker if you love kids and really want to help them but so many get into that field strictly for the money. If I wasn’t so old I’d go back to school to become a social worker

1 Like

There’s some great advice on this post

1 Like

You’re not alone many people between the ages of 30-70 years old have worked many different jobs in that years span. The job they were working at 30 was not the same they were working at 40, and it changed yet again as they got older. There’s time don’t stress life happens. Not everyone is cut to have the same job for 30+ years. Even people with college degrees are not working in the same field as their degree. I hope this is encouraging. There are many people in this category.

1 Like

I totally relate to this. I’m a mom of two (trying for another) and I’m 26. It hit me a couple months ago, what do I want to do with my life? I did get my GED at 23. That right there opened so many doors for me. I love to help people, I feel like I was put on this earth to help people. So I took my shot and went to EMT school. I just barely graduated and failed twice on my state test. It’s been a year and I still haven’t pushed myself to take the test again. I’m so scared that I will mess up someone’s life. I have a learning disability which makes learning much more difficult for me. The human body is so amazing but so complicated lol. If I had the smarts I would try to take it again. Until then here I am cleaning houses… funny thing is I make more money cleaning houses than any other job I’ve done. (Manager at McDonald’s 5 Years, CNA 2 years, and cleaning going on 5 years.) I would say find something that you absolutely love! I’ve always been told it’s never to late to start something. Maybe look into a small business like making crafts or cooking. :relaxed:

I honestly have no idea what I want to do either. I am a mom of soon to be 3 kids and my husband is going to retire from the military and I have no idea what I want to do

I’m 32 years old with three young children and I have no idea what I’m doing with my life either. I did graduate high school but I dropped out of college. I’ve been many things from a security officer to a substitute teacher and still don’t know what I’m doing.

Keep going! You can do it! Small steps are progress too!

I am 25 years old and still working on getting my Ged it isn’t easy but it’s definitely do able I have found every excuse out there and still trying to find a good excuse not to do it if you don’t know what you want to do that’s fine to just having a Ged would make me feel great there’s always general studies at a community college during that time you might find your calling being around all the options

1 Like

Try some kind of volunteer work it lets you try things and might lead to a job

1 Like

Dude I’m 23 and I still have no absolute idea what I want for my career and I feel like since I’m in my twenties and don’t have one I’m wasting my life. Idk. I’m in the same boat just a little different.

1 Like

Honey you’ll know when the time is right. I had my kids at 17 and 18 and ended up a single mum. I went to school to become a medical assistant and done this but hated the job. Loved the field. Tried for a great job in automotive but they insisted in a high school diploma so I did this at the same time my kids were in high school, I insisted on attending a different high school from them. Got the job but got injured so ended up back in college. Graduated in went to work in group homes first for incarcerated youth and then handicapped. I loved working with those with disabilities. My point is never give up. You’ll find your place and never let your age influence your decisions. You’ve already accomplished the hardest job you’ll ever have, raising your kids. You’ve already been a doctor, nurse? Caregiver, cook, driver, house maid and many more. Your strong. Keep going and good luck

3 Likes

First I’m proud of you for working on getting your high school diploma. That’s huge! It can feel overwhelming to be a mom going to school at the same time. Maybe talk to a career counselor? Remember you don’t have to have it all figured out. Start out slowly doing research on what you love doing. Give yourself credit. I’m sure you will figure it out. :wink:

1 Like

Try a trade. What do you like to do? Not sure. Pick one and go for it. If not a good fit. Go to another
I do upholstery, dying skill. Can make a decent living.

1 Like

Talk to a counselor at your school - they should be able to give you some tips. Just remember - you don’t have to stay at the first job you take forever. Stay at least 6 months and you will know if that is what you want to do.

3 Likes

Maybe try starting with a career aptitude test a d see what it says about you.

1 Like

I LOVE this!! Just remember, nothing has a time limit! Do things at your own pace. You don’t need all of the answers right now. You don’t want to start a career and not enjoy it. Take your time, figure things out at your own pace.

1 Like

I encourage everyone to watch that video. Play it on repeat, set it as a ringtone! Y’all got this :heart:

1 Like

33 and still can’t figure out what I want to be when I grow up. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Once you get your diploma (and good for you!) go to a temp service. They will help you find a job in something that might interest you. Sometimes those jobs turn into full time hires. Or just go to different jobs until you find a fit. Good luck😊

1 Like

Time will pass no matter what you do. Just remember that. It’s ok for you not to have it all figured out right now. Finish up school and get the diploma, make small goals and short term, day at a time mindedness. Once you figure out one step then begin on your next step and build from there.

1 Like

Honey your never to old to start a career ,start now get an aptitude test .go to your school counselor

2 Likes

My husband finished nursing school at 30 and asked me (30) what I want to do but I truly have no idea either. It’s a hard decision and you’re not alone!

2 Likes

I’m 30 with a 7 year old and pregnant with my second baby and still have no idea what I want to do career wise. I work in healthcare but I don’t know if that’s where I want to be forever. You’re still young and have time to decide, what’s something you’re passionate about? Or take a look on university websites or trade schools and see what sounds interesting or catches your eye

It’s easy to fall into dependence on the system but talk to a counselor at your county’s workforce center.

I have done sewing minded army clothes and the stuff they’re trained in q

I have just a high school diploma and have done a number of things since then… My favorite has been retail clothing so far but it is more about the journey. It is okay if you are still figuring out who you want to be in life and what you want to be doing. Sometimes it just isn’t about the career but the people you place around you. I have had many jobs I sincerely loved because of the people I worked with not necessarily the work. As long as you are enjoying your work and your time then it really doesn’t matter. You will get it figured out eventually.

1 Like

You can do it. Take a test that the schools have to see where your interests are. There are many options and people to help you. I went to college at 40 and then graduate school at 50 and became a lawyer. 3kids and divorced. One step at a time. I’d do it again.

When the time is right
The right career for you
Will come find you when you least expect it

1 Like

I’m 37 and going to school to get my ged.After Im done with that,I’m putting myself in college to become a phlebotomist.I’m doing this to help get me one step closer to my career that I truly want.I’m going back to collegea year later to become a ME.Its going to take me 10 years to do this but,I.determined

1 Like

One step at a time. I was the same age when I got mine. It’s a big accomplishment for a mom of two. Then while you’re doing that think of something you would love to do. Good luck :four_leaf_clover: momma

I’m 33 with 2 kids and 7 technical certificates but yet here I am weed eating for a lawn service… it’s not you just pick what you wanna do and stick with it for everybody. I’ve enjoyed each field but over time it’s gotten boring and I’ve become unhappy and resigned to try something else. Get your diploma and just keep looking and trying new things.

I’m 32 and I have never known what I want to do. Just waiting for a lightbulb.

You need a life for when your kids are grown. If you let the years slip by and do not push yourself… kids pull away everyday until they are grown and can fly. They r not yours to keep. I say this with experience of years.

being the best mom you can be is good enough. thats your job for right now. you decided to have kids, raise them. when they get old enough then decide if you want to do more.

Take one day at a time.

1 Like

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 16249 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. ===> https://statuesque-raindrop-25419d.netlify.app/

So I was a stay-at-home mom for 20 years and then went through a horrible divorce which sucked. But I decided I was going to get a job and figure it out. I’ll stay at home mom for 20 years. I mean what job could I really get besides working in a daycare and you know you even have to be certified for that. And to be honest with you after raising kids I was kind of done with that part. So I did several different jobs and found something that I absolutely fell in love with and that’s my advice to you honey work a couple of different jobs. See what suits you best and then do what you got to do to keep that job and maintain your highest education for that job. As here I am 43 years old in a class to get a another license for the job. I have chosen that. I absolutely love and half these kids. And yes, their kids in this class are looking at me like I’m their mother or their grandmother. And yeah I could probably be some of their mothers and grandmothers but I’m okay with that because I found it and when you find it you’ll know and that’s what you need to do. Just try different things out and like I said when you find it you will know because I knew my first week here at this job that this was it. I found something that I actually enjoy doing and here I am 6 months in and I’m still in love and I still enjoy getting up every morning and going to work