I don't know what I want to do with my life

I’ve just been feeling lost lately I’m a mom of 2 kids. I have been on welfare ever since I was 19-20 I had my first son and over the years I’ve been trying to get my high school diploma I’m 27 now and just the other day my boyfriend asked me what is it I want as a career and honestly my mind went blank. I don’t see myself working in any specific career. I’m scared because at 27 almost 28 I had 2 kids and raising them and trying to get my diploma is all I’ve been trying to get but what’s next… I have no idea and it’s scaring me

210 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I don't know what I want to do with my life - Mamas Uncut

Girl. Take it one day and step at a time. You’ll get there. Plenty of people fulfill their dreams later in life there’s no need to rush.

19 Likes

What things do you love to do? You must have things that interest you. When you are thinking about what and where to go next, just think about what makes and would make you happiest.

1 Like

Honestly, I’m the same. I’m 36. I have no clue. But the things I’ve learned, is that no one truly knows what they’re doing. Or what they want to do. And there is no time stamp on figuring it out. One day at a time. Try to think of something your passionate about or good at. Something you enjoy. And try ti make money off of it. Good luck. You’re not alone in how you’re feeling.

3 Likes

You’ll be just fine. My sister in law didn’t finish her diploma until mid 20s… then went on to an online college…. And now is going to law school. She’s almost 40.
You can do anything you want. Just keep your eyes on your dreams.

5 Likes

Go speak to a career counselor. They will find out your interest, what you are strong at and give you options. It’s ok. It happens. Don’t feel bad and just think about it. Do you like taking care of kids? Maybe childcare. Do you like cleaning? Maybe start your own cleaning service. Just think about it. Go back to your childhood and what did you enjoy doing. Hope this helps

5 Likes

Start with what you enjoy or are interested in. It’s never to late to start on any journey. Maybe look at some volunteering in different areas to see where your strengths are and what you may like to get involved with.

1 Like

Funny how sitting on your butt and sucking on the gubment tit gets in the way of your ideas and ambitions…
:roll_eyes::thinking::roll_eyes::thinking:

I had my fist child at 17 and then another at 28. My life has been devoted to them and I have been a sahm and babysitting for extra money on the side for years. I am also trying to figure out my next step now that my youngest is getting older and my oldest has graduated. I have no idea what I’m going to do next.

2 Likes

I’m the same way and I’m 35. I just decided to get my pharmacy tech license because I enjoy being a pharmacy tech.

3 Likes

Go to GED classes! Get your GED. Then find a job you love. Then go back to school to father your career what you love. Some people never go to college and make mass more without a degree. Get to work and start trying to find what you love. It will be a lot of trail and error at first. You may start a nursing home and be like I hate that. Then cross that off your list and find something new. I became make more doing what I do now then my degree made me. I’m not doing what I went to college for and make more than people with my same degree. It’s not always about q college degree! My daughter in law is the same as me she has a degree and does something different. And there is nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

The medical field is amazing and there are short term medical assisting or cna programs …

1 Like

Been their we all struggle at some point in our lives some of the wealthiest people started from the bottom just like you seriously I can’t is a mind set first start saying how can I and start working around your problems do you have reliable child care :warning::ok_hand:t2: first and most important this effects what career you take all r what business you start :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: second do you have any skill or hobby’s that you are good at that you could turn into a side job and gain experience … third surround yourself by people that help that give you encouragement good advice and care :relaxed: very Important find the highest paying jobs in your area talk to locals as see if you can get in to start saving ect shoot you could finish school get your GED an or diploma find jobs with a lot of room for moving to the top

I feel you. 38 here and struggling.
When I try to figure it out my 3yo, 2yo and 3mo make it impossible, I have no idea what I want to do or anything like that. I’m trying to calm my mind and just take one day at a time, right now our babies need us and that’s okay, we have to try to enjoy this time and remember they won’t be small forever, once these are in school I’m hoping it motivates me to be better and I can figure it out.

Don’t be so hard on yourself.

1 Like

Take a deep breath… I am 35 and is still trying to figure that out, I have worked many jobs however with a career you want to choose something you enjoy doing. You don’t want going to work to be a burden :smile:you will get there!

1 Like

There is no set time-line for success. Many people don’t even find their career until later in life. In my opinion, finish your diploma and enjoy those kids. The career can wait.

2 Likes

What things bring you joy? What are you passionate about? Forge a career in something that brings you joy and inspires you to want to keep going :sparkling_heart:

Why is it taking so long to get your diploma? At this point take the GED and move on so you can find your next step.

2 Likes

I’m 31 and my last baby (i have 4) will be 4 this year and starts school next year. I have absolutely no idea what I’ll do with my life when he goes to school and I’ll need to go to work.

Same boat honey. We were teen parents had to be on assistance too. My husband and me ended up getting our geds at 19 with 2 kids. He then got his cdl and is a truck driver. Ive been a stay at home mom raising our 4 kids for the last 7 years. My youngest is now in school and I feel so lost. I have been only a wife and mom since I was 17. I just turned 31 and ready to do my thing and I dont know what that is.

Think about what you enjoy doing and try to get into a field in that area. Also, don’t be in such a hurry to be accomplished all at once. Make one goal and when you achieve it, set another and work toward it. Then set another….before you know it, you’ll look back and be so proud of all you’ve accomplished.

2 Likes

One step at a time mama. One day at a time. U have a goal ur working towards it once achieved set another goal. Forward motion. Always keep that fire in ur belly to keep u going for not only u but for ur kids for ur family. I never really 100 knew what career persay that I wanted to do. Still don’t know. But I do know I’m a dam good mother hard worker at my current job in the media world with a newspaper. But ya know what u have ur health u have everything. Find also a hobby interest. Drawing painting singing maybe even just taking some walks always clearing and refreshing ur brain/thoughts etc. How bad do it want it. U got it!!

1 Like

Girl…I’m 52. I love my job working with the elderly. But it is not what I “saw” myself doing. I still don’t know my ideal career! You will get there. You’re good!

1 Like

Nannying is one of the easier high paying jobs for women who don’t want to go into college debt. If you get infant care certified you could make $20-$30/hr easily.

1 Like

Instead of working to get a diploma maybe look into a trade school of some sort. I know there are many different ways of of applying maybe an adult learning center may have some answers. And frankly sweetheart I didn’t know what I wanted to be till I was 35! So do what your compassionate about. You got this.

The best thing I can say is … don’t over think . Tunnel vision , focus on the thing u want or need right now & everything else will work itself out .

What’s your passion? Don’t have one? What do you enjoy? Got my degree at 51 - keep going!

8 Likes

First step is getting that GED!
Then, try to think about what you enjoy and that you’re good at.
I had my first baby at 18, then had 3 more( I was 30 when my last was born).
I’ve worked in fast food, gas stations, grocery stores( cashier and bakery), assisted living, day cares, hotel reception desk, and I’m now a substitute teacher!
I really enjoyed daycare, assisted living care, and I love being a substitute teacher!
I’m in school when my kids are, out when they are out, and if they are sick, I just don’t take a job that day.
It’s working out really well for us.

1 Like

Lots of people change majors in college and jobs once they graduate. The important thing is to get started! Talk to a college admissions counselor or look into training programs you might be interested in. You still have plenty of time to figure this out!

2 Likes

I would do your diploma and get that over with . Then I be put your kids in to day care . I know mum that had her kids and at 37 she work form home and has amazing life now . You have find some think you love doing . Good luck hun believe in your self .

1 Like

If your desired career is to continue taking care of your kids and house, that’s ok too. Do some job shadowing through your local colleges and see the career Counselour. I got a general secretarial degree 20+ years ago and simply had to start working to find out. I ended up working as a legal secretary in elder law & estate planning for about ten years before staying home. I loved it. Wouldn’t have known I loved it if I hadn’t simply started. Good luck.

3 Likes

Is this a repost or copypasta? This is the 3rd time I’ve seen it

Go to your next employment security office. They can help you figure it out! Also, your local community College should have an advisor that can help

In my state you can get a GED (General Education Diploma) totally equal to a HS diploma. Depending on what state you are in that can open doors for you in many directions.
I think you sould a little down. Do you have someone you can confide in?

1 Like

So you’ve been living off the system for at least 8, EIGHT years, have 2 children almost 30 and no clue what you are going to do with your life…did you expect to live off the system forever :roll_eyes: First, stop making excuses…You are more than old enough to get your life together!!

3 Likes

There are some quizzes you can do online. You fill out a couple questionnaires about yourself your strengths and weaknesses and it matches up what it thinks would be good career possibilities for you that would be a start!

Just get a job till u decide what u want to do for a career

2 Likes

You’ll figuer it out :blush: trust me. I have 3 and didn’t know. I became a security guard. Schedule is little easier to work around . 12 hour shifts. Few days a week. Then home with the fam. I’ll be starting when my daughter is in school. Don’t worry, it’ll all work out. As long as you’re trying. Don’t let any negativity in any form discourage you.

1 Like

You know lucky I graduated before kids I have 2 also I’m almost 30 in 2 months I still don’t know what I want to do

Your not the only one

First, you should be proud of your self and give yourself credit that having 2 kids you are not putting yourself aside or giving up and going for your GED. Don’t stress, one step at a time. Wish you best in your Future.

I had 4 children and brought them up first and did lots of volunteering and learning whilst they were small and I couldn’t work. At the age of 29 I applied for a business loan to set up my own marketing company. Since then I’ve had jobs all over the place mostly in the third sector as marketing manager etc and I’m now earning a good wage as Head of Marketing for a charity. Im also studying for my master in public relations as well . I’m nearly 38 now and the kids are 10, 11, 12 and 14 now. It’s never too late. I am very creative and techy and have always loved writing and creating so marketing / PR is the perfect career for me.

My best advice is think about what you love doing and find a career that fits your passion.

It’s never too late, you’re not 30 yet :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Nursing is in great need these days

Make a list of steps you need to take. First and foremost get your GED. After that look into different careers and see what most interest you. I didn’t start college to be a teacher until I was 26. It took me 6 years to finish school because I had kids and a job so it took a little longer but I did it. I’m now 38( with 2 more kids) and even though I have my degree I do not have my certifications done yet to teach in a public school. So I’m working on that. Takes time especially when you have a family.

Don’t rule out a community college for stuff too. I have a friend at 45 taking her nursing classes and has 3 children in middle/high school

2 Likes

It’s only too late if you think it is. Fear of change can talk you out of it. Do it. You will never regret any act of self improvement.

1 Like

Girl I was the same way. I had my daughter at 19. My entire life I was a “mom” that’s it. I spent ab 10 years taking care of my elderly grandfather
. Once he died, and my daughter turned 18 I was stuck with the realization that OMG WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW?! like all I knew was how to be a mom! Don’t worry you will figure it out… you may change ur mind a few times ; but you’ll figure it out. Try not to LOSE urself to Motherhood like I did.

One step :ladder: at a time hun… Getting your Diploma is first step… When you achieve this then it will be time to think of the next step :hugs: hugs

There are lots of possibilities out there. Get your GED and then go to the library and research different careers. Maybe by the time you finish your GED you’ll have some idea what your interests are. Do you want to do something in the medical field? There are lots of possibilities there, and those people are always in demand.

I didn’t get my grade 12 until I was 26. I ended up taking a 10 month course after in administration. It isn’t glamourous by any means but I now have a good job working in healthcare as an administrator. If you’re not sure what you want it’s a good and quick diploma to get.

1 Like

First of all, I’m super proud of you for getting your diploma. You go mamma! That’s great! Second, it’s ok you don’t know what you want to do and normal! Not everyone has a career plan mapped out. I didn’t know what I wanted to do until I was 26! I was about your age when I got into the Mortgage world. My suggestion is too apply to tons of different jobs. It’s a numbers game. Get your foot in the door, anywhere that has decent income for 6-12 months. Find out what you like don’t like about the job and go from there. Use your first job as something you can put on your resume. It’s never too late to start your career…Go get that degree girl!:heart:

Don’t worry about what’s next just work on finishing school. Eventually is will come to u or u might just be happy at whatever job your at.

Im 32 with 7 kids same situation but I went to school and I’m now a medical assistant I want to go back to school to become a teacher but I want to wait until my 13 and 14 year old get in high school and my 4 year old get in school

You can do it! We all get overwhelmed sometimes… just ask God to help you and take one day at a time

You don’t have to have a career. Find something that you love doing and can get paid for it. You will be much happier and fulfilled if you love what you do. Working with children, working with the elderly, apprentice yourself for job that interest you. Or stay home and be the best mom you can be. Your children aren’t that old yet. Volunteer at their school. If you enjoy that, it could turn into a full or part time job. It did for me. Schools need teachers aides. And other personnel.
Also, get your GED which is equivalent to a deploma.

I just graduated college last year and I’m 35. You’ll figure it out. Everyone puts us on a timeline, failing to forget that life happens and it doesn’t happen the way you expect. Being present in your kids lives will never be a regret, you’re doing good.

Work on your diploma and take it easy life will happen for you relax your ideas will come more clearly bless you

2 Likes

Focus on your diploma but also take time and think about what comes natural to you. Helping people comes natural to me so I use it to make money. Good luck :hugs:

Get your CNA. The course is only 8 weeks. You can work agency and make good money. $20 plus an hour. Cna’s are needed everywhere right now.

Nothing wrong with small goals, start with the diploma and worry about what’s next after that. There’s lots of career assessment tests you can take once you have your diploma if that’s what you want to do.

2 Likes

Get your diploma, then sit down and take a look at what your skills are. If you struggle with finding out take a career aptitude test online. Begin either college or trade school. You get more help being a single mother vs a wife so honestly I’d finish that career before saying any “I Do”.

Instead of focusing on your entire future and what kind of career you want, just take one step at a time.
First, get your GED or high school equivalent. Make a plan and do that.
Once you’ve completed one goal, it should give you the confidence and clarity to take the next step, whatever that is.
Don’t focus on the whole staircase. Just the first step.
Good luck.

10 Likes

Think if things you enjoyed before. What got your interest. You have gifts that have been hidden for a long time. Take time to think about this. It may not come right away but you’ll remember. Choose something you enjoy. Sometimes people forget their path when they get busy with life.

It’s ok, Momma!! Love them babies & keep pushing on!
I was 28 when I got mine! 42 now … no actual career school stood out for me. Now, I run a saw again & love it! Same thing I was doing at 20. I have family in crazy debt over going to career classes/school. Sad part is, even in my simple job & no extensive schooling, I make more than they do.

4 Likes

I’d first focus on the diploma and then see what you want to do if anything. You don’t have to have it all planned out to start.

2 Likes

Anything is possible my husband’s grandmother decided that she wanted to be a nurse in her late 30s almost 40s she went for her degree put in all the hard work and worked as a nurse still is a nurse just not working . It’s okay to not have a plan right now . It’s okay to take you’re time just make sure whatever you do decide you love it . I’m 25 about to have my 3rd kid went to college for a degree I am not even using and plan on going back to find something I really love doing . Don’t stress you will know what you wanna do when you’re ready or you may never decide that’s okay also .

Get the diploma first that will make you feel better and thrive for yourself… you can do it the perfect time is now you got this …you want to do better and show better so your children can follow your footsteps in a positive way. YOU GOT THIS GO FOR IT AND DONT STOP TILL YOU SUCCEED AT WHAT YOU WANT :100:

Just work on getting your diploma. One thing at a time. Then try something else.

1 Like

Pray about it. Good will show you, have faith! Look for all the signs. Get your diploma and think about what you want to do in the mean time.

1 Like

It only takes two days for the GED test

Get that diploma girl!!! Once you do, you’ll feel accomplished and I’m sure at that point you’ll know what you want to pursue!

2 Likes

One step at a time. You are still young even if you don’t feel it at the moment. Work on your diploma and time will show you what your meant to do. Better than time God will show you. You only have to ask him. Remember one step at a time

It’s ok. You don’t have to be defined by your job or your career. For some people, that is not their passion or purpose and that’s ok. My suggestion is to find some place that is welcoming of you, pays well, and you enjoy the environment. Keep trying and exploring new things and you will find your path.

Look into school. If you’re on welfare you can likely get childcare covered and grants/scholarships. I’m 35, starting school this summer. It’s never too late! Won’t be easy by any means but I can be done before my son is 5 and before I’m 40.

2 Likes

Do Not get scared, browse the employment agencies, see what is available, check the requirements, and then decide, and remember many people change careers for various reasons!

Take one day at a time

One step at a time and one day at a time, just pray to God, get your diploma and good things will keep on coming :heart:

Pull it together and be an example for your children on how to overcome situations we place ourselves in :heart:

I did graduate, I always worked, and then had my first and only at 25 and I still don’t know what I want as a career and tbh I don’t know if I necessarily ever want a “career”. Just came to say whatever you choose in life and which way you wind up going, you’re not alone.

Look into different trade schools
It’s a lot easier to complete than say a bachelors degree
I just graduated Esthetician school and it was about 5 months, very grueling but worth it in the end

1 Like

The sky is the limit you could do anything from nurse Dr massage therapist hairdresser nails computer tech what is your favorite hobby what do you like to do in your free time you could work at a assisted living facility or work with children ,try to think of something that you would love to do and then get paid for it.

3 Likes

Be honest things will fall into place when they’re supposed to don’t let your boyfriend pressure you to pick a career you might not like one will pop up when you at least expect it to

3 Likes

I’m 51 and still don’t know what to do with my life.

2 Likes

Job fairs have a lot of info about different careers. You can job shadow a lot of different jobs. If you call HR at the hospital, that can be a start. There are so many different branches of healthcare. Not just nursing. There is X-ray, ultrasound, lab technician, dietary, housekeeping, laundry, etc… so many directions to go. Just find what fits you.

Don’t give up hun. I was the same way and if I’m not mistaking I believe I was 31 when I got my high school diploma working a full time job and raising 3 babies it wasn’t the job I wanted but it paid my bills be patient everything will fall in place when it’s supposed to

I’m 27 and have 2 kids also. I get benefits too and decided to enroll in school a little over 2 years ago, didn’t really know what I wanted to do but I was going for nursing but they directed me to echocardiography, I’m in my last semester now and it’s so neat and I like it, the pay is amazing also. Sometimes things just come to you, just start somewhere and it will come to you. Good luck!

You have enough time to try any and everything…Good Luck whatever you decide

1 Like

I’m almost 31 with 3 kids and still have no idea. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I have done school and paid for college in different areas and changed my mind. My advise is try different jobs go out and try lots if different things you definitely do not need to choose something immediately

1 Like

You can do anything you put your mind to, with determination and strength. Go to your local college and get a few booklets on trades, degrees, and things you might be interested in. Turn your hobby into a career. Maybe you’ll discover having children made you a great care giver and that’s something you enjoy. But don’t just aim to get a job in it, go for a license doing it.

Omg I feel this on so many levels

Get a manual and study for and take your GED test. It’s the equivalent of a high school diploma. Then you can decide what you want to do. You can take online classes to get any number of certificates or degrees. The medical field is wide open and there are even places for on the job training. You have all sorts of opportunities but you have to go after them.

1 Like

I studied for 3 yrs to changed careers at 45 with 7 kids. There is no cut of date for education and future career goals. Take your time to find what really makes you happy and go for it. Dont think how hard it will be. Think how rewarding it will be. All it takes is you. You can do this.

2 Likes

Don’t freak out too much. I’m 40 and just got my diploma 2 months ago & still have no clue what I’m doing with my life.

1 Like

“Career” can sound like such a scary word. Just add an s. Careers… :wink: It’s okay to be more then one thing. It’s okay to try a job and hate it and try another one. It’s okay to not know what you want your “career” to be… I’ve wanted to be a Mom since I was a little girl. That’s the only thing consistent in my life I have ever wanted to be. I work, I have a “career”. But I am everything I ever dreamed of because I am a Mom!! And that’s enough!!! Be kind to yourself! Also, a lot of jobs do not require a diploma… :hugs:

3 Likes

1st get you high school or GED. THEN get your AA degree. You can use your “ELECTIVE” classes to explore your interests. Decide what you want to get your BA /BS degree in. (Still undecided? GET a Business or AI/ Computer degree EVERYTHING involves those 2 things these days. (knowing how to run a successful business or help on communicate thru Artificial Intelligence will slways be useful)

If you can during this VOLUNTEER or INTERN at various types of jobs to see what you like or are good at and how that fits in your life.
EMPLOYMENT SECURITY has classes to help determine INTEREST and APTITUDES.

1. WHEN do you want to work? Which shift or do you want to set your own schedule as in being a BLOGGER.

2. WHAT do you want to work with, people, places, things, thoughts as in being an Author ???.

3. WHERE do you want to work? In an office, in the field
    on a job site (reporter, farmer), from home (from home could be while you travel the world researching natural sourcing for make up)

4. NEED in the Market place. There is a GREAT NEED for Piolts and Boat Captians AND women are under represented in these fields.
    Become a Lady Plumber and on the side encourage other Lady Plumbers.

5. WHAT is your CAUSE/SERVICE ! Do you want you kids and grandkids to not have to worry about getting shot at school or the supermarket ? ADVOCATE for gun control Become a Lawyer and change the LAWS.

6. WHAT do you want for your kids or grandkids Do you want your kids to raise their kids on welfare. HOW do YOU want to facilitate rheir lives. A woman started King 5 news.

WHAT PAY do you want? Do you want your rent money to go to a home you own and can leave to your kids? Do you want to be the Grandmother or Mom who can take the whole family on vacation (own and start a financial investment firm that your kids and work in and take over)

I had my first son at 16. Got my GED and went to trade school at 37. Welfare has programs to get your GED in most states. My daughter became a dog groomer. It was a 15 week course, she brings home $500+ a week. You don’t have to have a great big plan. Just a plan.

1 Like

It is scary. And it will be as stressful as you allow it to be. Rule number one. Rely on no one but yourself. Forget about the things you can’t control. When you are down have that cry. And if the kids see it, and they will. Just tell them something light. You are stressed today. Or maybe if they want to help fold laundry or help sweep. Stuff that is age appropriate for them. Never include kiddos in adult stresses. And if they feel they are helping mom they will feel good about themselves. Go to a school and talk to them about your options. There are so many jobs that require 6 weeks of training. Do that for a while. See how it works out. If you don’t like it. Do something else. You won’t know if you don’t try. I’m 42 been a single mom for 25 years. Have my own home and all my own things. It’s hard work. It’s stressful. But when I walk out my door I hear my horses calling out to me. And my six kids playing. I gave birth to two. But apparently it’s my calling to help. Don’t give up on yourself. Ever. Start small and work your way up. There will always be stresses. Just decide whether or not it’s worth your time.

3 Likes

One goal at a time. Get your diploma then worry a out what to do next. Honestly it could be anything just so you learn what it is like to work, be accountable for an employer, and earn money for a change.

1 Like