I don't like what my step-mom's mom makes my son call her: Advice?

I think the bigger question is whats your sons relationship with her? If its a good one then leave it be. Its lala not mum mum etc.

3 Likes

I teach my kids the bible one Mom one Dad n yell them they can like the others but unless u r stepping on them they are not step anything.Kuds lives are messed up anyway n they people want other people to be called step if the leave the family that’s just one more a child worries didn’t like them just simply tell the child it’s Pop Pop new wife n no step anything

Who cares …man if that is all you have to worry about :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

If lala is not her name than just say to her when dropping child off that he can call u by your name and when and if he feels comfortable enough to have nickname for her than he can decide. It’s about he feels not her. And she trying to fore them to be closer than they are maybe she has power trip idk it’s not for her to decide anything that’s my opinion lol

It’s YOUR child not hers!!! Ffs

Shit… My in laws refuse to be part of their step grandchildrens and great grandchild life. But do everything for the 1 real child as they like to refer him as. So for me it’s a name. Just that a name. Close to Nana and that is what I am called.

I’d say… let her be LaLa. Pick the battles… unless there is more to the issue then stated.

6 Likes

My grandson has two brothers from another Mom that lady is nice n so are her parents but he knows she is Sam dad’s wife n Calls the brothers grandparents meme n pop but know they are not his hrandparents

Don’t put it nicely. TELL her that your son is gonna call her by her name. And that she doesn’t get a title or nickname. Or just don’t let your son around her. Toxic people don’t deserve anything.

2 Likes

Speak up. Tell her she is not considered his grandma on any way. Also stop letting him around her because it’s gna be an issue
But if she really loves on him then u should stop. Don’t take love away from ur kid just because u didn’t like the person.

If its step-family, your child dose not need to call her anything except Mrs, ma’am or her first name . Being step family doesn’t automatically entitle you to a title …

I don’t understand why you think you can pick a name for someone? You don’t own her and you are not HER parent.

She is the one who has to answer to it for the rest of her life. Why can’t she be the one to decide what your child calls her? It’s her nickname, not your’s.

You don’t have to like her to show some respect.

3 Likes

Sounds like you won’t be seeing her much anyway. Her grandma name is her choice, get over it.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with Lala?
It’s not an offensive word. Does she treat him nice?
If not then I’d address it, otherwise let it go.

2 Likes

I mean, if you refuse to call ppl by the name they prefer to be called by, then maybe she has a reason to not like you. It seems like a pretty petty thing to get mad over. She’s not demanding to be called “Granny” or “Grandma”. :roll_eyes:

Tell her nicely you feel it is more appropriate that he calls her XYZ … and that is what he calls her

There’s nothing wrong with someone who’s elderly to be called”lala” if that’s what she wants to be called is there anything wrong about that? It’s just a matter of showing respect. The old lady just wanted to be respected and don’t want to be called on her first name. Let it be- it’s not you she was asking to call her that way,and it’s just a name.

It’s ok to have no contact with toxic family

3 Likes

Your child your decisions. Nobody else can make your child do ANYTHING. You’re in control. Not her :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Put her foot down you’re the parent period

I think it’s always best to just choose your battles wisely. It’s not hurting anyone so just let it be.

4 Likes

When I was a stepmom, I thought it would be a great opportunity to open a dialogue and include my stepdaughter and asked her what she would be comfortable calling me, and know that we could revisit the topic any time. It really helped and made her feel included in this tough life process.

Have you thought that its her way of letting the child know she’s his grandma too not just step. I buy my granddaughters brother and sister Xmas presents but their grandma won’t even acknowledge my granddaughter as part of the family. If they love each other let it be.

The more people that love your child the better. The fact that she wants to be called anything by your child is a positive thing and it might just be the relationship that softens her heart. It really is no big deal, the step grandparent exsists, accept it.

1 Like

So you would rather your son be rude , than call someone by the name they wish to be called . The relationship of that person to him does not matter .

2 Likes

Who’s child is it? Yours? Problem solved.

2 Likes

WTF kinda name is LaLa​:skull::skull::skull:

2 Likes

Petty. If she treats him well and doesn’t treat you like outright dog sh** then who cares? You don’t have to like it. Stop crying about though if she loves on him appropriately. Be grateful her dislike of you doesn’t spill onto him.

6 Likes

what do you have against the name LaLa? control freak much?

4 Likes

Its just a name and she is not stepping on anyones toes. Just let it go.

1 Like

If she is not nice to him, stop taking him around her…

1 Like

Why is that such a big deal!?? It seems pretty petty to me!

1 Like

Nobody makes my kid call them anything I don’t like. Tell your stepmom that she can tell her you don’t like it or you will do it.

I’d just leave it
Think of the stupid teletubbie named lala. Have a google.

She’s chosen a dumb name, from a dumb character, whom had nothing to say. X

1 Like

I don’t get why the name is bothering you? I think you’re being petty and if it bother’s you so much, stop letting him be around them. Simple as that.

My husband calls my vagina Lala… I’d make her change it to something else like nini or mimi.