I feel guilty for applying for WIC: Advice?

Save the guilt for something else, your health and your baby’s health should be more important than pride guilt. Haven’t you or your family paid taxes most of their adult lives?

I felt guilty as well, but as a single mother in college and working, I had enough on my plate to worry about then! You pay into taxes and for programs like that, so don’t feel guilty. I know the media and others make it seem like a horrible irresponsible thing to do, but ultimately- refusing help you pay for anyway would be foolish. You literally earned it and your baby needs fed. Give back in other ways as you can if it helps you feel better :slight_smile: But otherwise- be the good mom you are and take care of your baby!

Nope, they love to be able to help. You also learn a lot in the classes. Moms need all the help they can get :blush: actually you should have applied when you were pregnant. I applied when I was 7 months pregnant and the case worker asked me why I hadn’t applied EARLIER

Yes, I felt bad but I really needed WIC as I’m a disabled, single parent with no support…I worked but I still needed assistance. It was a blessing to receive WIC

Never feel guilty for doing something good for your little one. If anything it makes you a super good mom that you’re doing what you need to do to make sure your lil one has what they need. Be proud mama. Never let your pride get in the way of caring for your child, no matter what anyone says. :sparkling_heart:

You shouldn’t feel guilty. It’s there to help you and your children. Until you are able to get back on your own two feet it’s there for you to use as long as you qualify.

Yes! I did and it’s still sorta weird. But WIC not only helps the pantry, they are there to support the mother too with lots of things. When they call you I’m sure they’d be more than happy to tall about those feelings with you :black_heart:

I had to be on WIC with my youngest son bc I was laid off work. I felt guilty also but it’s better to accept the help and take care of your baby then to reject help out of pride and not get what you need for your baby. It won’t be forever and that’s what the program is there for. We have to suck it up and do what we have to do sometimes, even if it really sucks.

These programs are funded by taxes you’ve paid if you’ve ever worked. Please dont feel guilty for ensuring your children are feed healthy to grow healthy.

I have paid enough in taxes for you to get anything you need sweetie. Think of it as a gift from me to you! Take care and be blessed!

It’s available for you to use and it will help your children have a well balanced diet. I didn’t feel guilty. I did often feel others judged me negatively when I used it.

Yes I did too and embarrassed especially when it was the checks and had to sign in front of the cashier and take even more time up :upside_down_face: but like others also said it helped with groceries and working full time things like this and food stamps are what inpaid into and there for when I need the help. I was still working but with unexpected bills it helped so much. And when they changed to the debit card style it made transactions so much easier also

There is no need to feel guilty when you need help! Do what is best for your family

There is NOTHING wrong with being on WIC. It takes a village to raise a child. We all need a little help sometimes and there’s nothing bad about taking it.

Never feel bad for needing help. Everybody needs help sometimes. One day you will and see it was a stepping stone to get you where you are. Keep your chin up and know you are doing what needs to be done for your child. Sounds like a pretty good mamma to me

I was pregnant when I applied and left crying because how shitty they made me feel for being in there. I couldn’t handle being talked down to like that while pregnant and never went back.

Don’t feel guilty. I could kick myself for not doing it when I was a single mom. Working extra hours to not see my kiddo. We can all use a little help sometimes. :v:

If you need it, that is what it is there for. I had Section 8 for a few years when my son was little. When my income increased I could have manipulated the system in my favor to keep receiving rent support, but when I didnt need it, I resigned from the program. No need to feel bad if you are not abusing the resource.

I get it. I felt the same way. I’m on WIC, EBT and state insurance for me and my daughter. But my friends and family finally got to me. They said this is what it’s there for. When people truly need it. There is no shame in needing a little help to get back on your feet. I had to push my pride aside and do what’s best for my daughter. I work 3 jobs trying to make ends meet. But I can only work a couple days a week because if childcare. It’s ok to need help. I’m gonna keep busting my butt til I don’t need it anymore. :heart::heart::heart:

My doctor forced me to take it. All the nurses forced me to so I did. I did qualify. And I’m happy. They tell me about nutrition . What me n baby should eat. They call me every month about breast feeding issues I may have or how I should do it. They educated me. I knew nothing about being a first time mom.

Oh no don’t ever feel bad for applying for food for your baby. We all go through rough times that’s why we have help

1 Like

Wic has saved mine and my kids life. They are such an amazing resource and they love to help. It’s what they’re there for

In a country that doesn’t offer paid parental leave, its hard to thrive economically those first months. Don’t feel guilty mama, take care of yourself and your little one(s) :heart:

If you need help you need help. My husband had a decent paying job so I quit mine but he had to quit for a certain reason and he ended up finding a job at Target but it wasn’t a full time job. So we didn’t get much and we really did need help. So I applied for WIC ahead of time and it helped a lot. I did feel guilty. But I had to remind myself that we really needed help. It’s okay to grab onto a helping hand. And when I knew we didn’t need help anymore I stopped WIC. I was thankful I used it when I did.

I did but it’s so beneficial and they just want to make sure you and your baby are taken care of

Ppl. From educated, classy families who don’t have history of welfare “dynamics” will Definately feel guilty…you have a conscience with upper morals…you never seen your parents on it or family members…honestly it’s okay to get it. If you are qualified and having a little financial difficulty making out with your bills…yea it’s it’s okay to feel guilty…its your feelings at the end of the day… Totally understand!!!:eyes:

Use it! The benefits are there to help you raise your baby healthy and happy! If you meet the income guidelines that means you need the income for other things like rent and food! Enjoy your baby instead of worrying about being embarrased nowday the benefits are loaded into a debit card so nobody even knows…

I agree with kiley. You pay taxes for that very reason might as well use it… my son and I were on WIC the first year of his life. It helped tremendously

The way it was explained to me is that if enough people don’t sign up it would go to another county, so my nurse friend always encourages me to tell parents to sign up.

Wic is exactly the kind of programs that should exist. Don’t feel guilty formula and nutritious food is expensive so if you qualify be happy. Plus they give good nutritional advice and track babies growth. If anything more people should be eligible.

Don’t feel guilty. When you work or your family works they put into the system. You will put in the system when you can. I put in the system to help moms and kids like you. I got food stamps till I got a job. Never feel guilty. It’s a hand UP not a hand out.

I just applied. I feel guilty… Not completely sure I qualify because I made a bit more money several months ago.

I have a applied for wic before. There’s no shame in asking for help to feed your children. This one time I even went to a food bank. My husband and I both were struggling so bad because we had a baby in the nicu and my husband had to take a lot of time off work to care for my other 3 kids. As soon as our situation improved Which was like 4 weeks after we stopped. Now we’re doing good. But that’s why the services are there. To help you when you need it the most

I had to, but it was a godsend. I couldn’t have made it without. I planned on exclusively breastfeeding but that didn’t pan out. Formula is so expensive especially with a big baby!

Not at all. We all need help once in a while. Sometimes in life you just have to swallow your pride and ask for help. Life does get better. Please don’t feel bad because you need help feeding your baby. They are expensive

I felt guilty as heck! However, it’s there for people who need it and is a great service. It got us through some tough times. Their Summer produce coupons were amazing!

WIC AND CHIPS are 2 of the best programs the state has come up with ad working families can also get. By ALL MEANS APPLY for this wonderful program.

Never feel guilty for getting you and your child proper nutrition. It’s so much more than “free food.” It’s meeting with caring professionals who give amazing advice,they check on things that some busy doctors might miss. Meet with a dietician if possible.

Nope, I knew I was going to work on getting out of that situation. It’s okay to ask for help when needed, seems you plan on doing the right thing and get out of the situation when opportunity given. For now focus on getting food for yourself and feed the baby.

I felt a little guilty, but once I saw how much food i was getting for my little one, I realized it was a blessing.

1 Like

My nurse from when I had my first baby in 2013 suggested I apply, it was easy & helped a lot, I didn’t feel guilty. Congrats!

Yep- I am just about ready to go in and apply again. Due to Covid they eliminated my position. So I am looking for another on and I am in need. I still feel guilty because I know there are those out there even more in need than myself. Yet, I am reminded that if I don’t go in the consequences are high for my family. :disappointed:

I kinda did but quickly realized this is help we as mothers need to help raise healthy babies.

No don’t you feel bad! This is part of what we all pay in our taxes to help people when they need it!

Yes but u know what in a time of need I think of my kids not going hungry or without …that’s why these programs are out there to help in times of need wether it be 4 months or 4 years :heart_eyes:

Everybody needs help sometime. It doesn’t matter what it is. There is no shame in accepting help.

Yeah, I did. But everyone hits a rough patch, don’t feel bad for getting the help. I was so scared of being judged at the grocery store for using it, but 99 percent or people don’t care.

Don’t be I felt the same way because I felt like there was people who needed it more than me I I would take up there spot and I told the lady at Wicc that and she told me no that the more people on it the more funds they get to allow more to Receive it and if less people are on it the less funds they get and less people could be on it or something to that effect she told me . I know I’m probably not saying it correctly but don’t feel bad ur not taking up no ones spot and if u need the help u need the help that’s what it’s there for . It’s better than going without

I felt guilty too but overtime it’s like it’s there for a reason. It ensures proper nutrition and prevents burn out worrying how to feed children

I didn’t feel guilty I felt like do I really need this, I think I can buy milk and fruit and bread on my own. But this makes you get those things which are healthy for your kids so you know you will always have them. My thought changed and it became more like a peace of mind.

You should only feel guilty if you don’t need it and are taking it cause it’s “free stuff”.
Otherwise that’s what it’s there for! To help struggling families.

I didnt feel guilty at all. It is something that is helpful to me and my children, so why feel bad about it?

I feel guilty using my wic checks in the grocery store especially when people act a certain way behind me but wic helps when ny hob can’t help so don’t let nothing make u feel ashamed for getting help for you or ypur baby because at the end of the day them judgmental people ain’t feeding u or the baby its hard but it’s worth it even when or if your not gling through too much of a struggle

I felt guilty but my brother in law once said… you qualify for a reason. Then I didn’t feel as bad

No absolutely do not feel guilty! The formula alone is very expensive! I felt the same way but there is nothing wrong with asking for a little help, if it is helping your baby.

Wic is not just for poor. It was a program developed to improve healthier pregnancy and babies not for just poor

I’m still eligible for wic but don’t use it anymore being I finally was able to get a better paying job. My sons father pays support once in a blue moon so I can’t really count on it as a steady source of help. All that said at first I felt bad too. There is so much stigma behind assistance and it’s not fair. Yes there are those who misuse the system but I’ve worked all my adult life and pay my taxes. I tried getting assistance with child care and food and was denied because I made $3 too much an hrs…I was making $12.56 when I applied barley scrapping by. This year being a student I could finally get help. When I got my EBT card the lady helping me told me it looks just like a debit card so no one will know…I was furious. Not at her but at the fact that that even has to be brought up. If you need the help please do not feel bad. Life’s hard enough. And most ppl that say negative stuff about assistance haven’t ever had to use it.

I walked away from wic because I couldn’t stand their ignorance. Telling me a baby can’t be born at 31 weeks and that prematurity isn’t real. As I’m sitting holding my premature daughter. So, single solo mom to the max, no child support, no wic, no snap nothing. It’s hard, but oh well.

I did in the beginning but then realized my kids needs it and it’s there for a reason right and if I didn’t really need it I wouldn’t get it

I’m active duty military and single parent of 2 kids. I didn’t because with cost of daycare, diapers, pull-ups, clothes, formula, food, and other necessity baby items the cost runs up quick. So it helped out a lot when my kids were younger.

Don’t feel bad my granddaughter is on wic. And it’s been a life saver. Shes on special formula about 40 dollars a can. If not for wic my daughter would struggle getting Formula. Its there to help. Use it u would be glad u did

My daughter was one of the first in our State 43 years ago. I was grateful for the wic but all so the guidance.

I felt guilty because I kept thinking we made enough money, but in reality we didn’t. Don’t feel guilty, you’re doing what you need to for your family!

I did wic for my oldest 12 years ago. When you need it, you need it. Take care of that little one, that’s all that matters

No. Our tax dollars pay for these programs. Taking care of a child especially an infant is very expensive. Just between formula and diapers take away a good portion of your income.

I used WIC & loved it. It was so helpful. I never felt guilty for having it, & neither should you. If you need, use it, that’s why it’s there :blush:.

I felt guilty for applying when I was pregnant then didnt use anything til I had my baby. Dont feel bad tho my baby goes through 2 things of formula a week I cant afford 40$ a week for baby food. Things are there to help if you need help get help :two_hearts:

If you need the help, take it. Especially at this time when people don’t have jobs and need to feed their babies.

WIC is wonderful and if you need the assistance than no need to feel guilty . That’s what it’s for! Get your baby formula fruits diapers etc :breast_feeding:t4:

Your baby deserves to be well fed. And you should not feel guilty about getting assistance for your family

I used to feel embarrassed about it at the grocery store… but screw what people think, all that matters is your baby is getting fed!! :two_hearts:

Don’t feel guilty for applying for WIC it’s helpful!! I have a 5 month old I’ve been on WIC sense I was pregnant it helps you with formula etc! It’s an amazing program

I’ve been on Wic since I was pregnant with my oldest and shes going to be 5 at the end of August. I hate the looks I get when I use it because it takes so long to get checked out but it helps so much on milk and other things. Kid is an eater so it definitely helps

Not at all. And while you are at it, apply for SNAP too. These benefits are there for people who need them, so use them! Take care of your family and when you are no longer eligible, you will stop getting them.

if u apply and qualify for it then u must need it or they would not set those limits.

1 Like

Don’t feel guilty. I had to to do it but i earned it. I’m a single male. Everybody needs help sometimes.

Hell no girl! If you qualify then take all the help you can get! You don’t get it for your life so enjoy it while you can. It takes a village to raise kids so I gladly accept any help I can get!

If you need it and legitimately qualify for it, you shouldn’t feel guilty. WIC is available for anyone who qualifies. You are not taking away from someone else.

Of course it’s okay. Have you seen how expensive formula is. There’s nothing wrong in getting a little help. I’m sure y’all are hard working people and it’s your tax money that pays for it.

If u need the help u should not feel guilty you’re doing what u have to do to make sure your baby is ok and that’s what real mother’s do…u don’t have to be on the assistance for ever but if u need the help while trying to reach the goal of getting on your feet there is NOTHING wrong with that and don’t let anyone tell u there is…I’m still pregnant and I’m on WIC and I’m not ashamed one bit I WISH someone would tell me somethin :100::smirk::muscle:t4:

initially i did… and it was always a bit awkward having to use the coupons, they take forever… but ultimately, it was really important… especially since I had a micro preemie with very expensive specialty formula. It helped our budget too since we were able to get healthy items with out hurting our tiny budget. Ours included coupons for the farmers market too which was awesome. The classes I took were pretty interesting too.

Here’s the truth about the coupons… most moms have used them and get it. I get behind moms with them ask the time at the grocery. Sometimes they apologize… I just say been there done that and let them know they address a good momma.

We ALL pay taxes so that assistance is there when and if we need it. Simplified explanation but I am sure you get my drift. It is there to help, and we will likely all if not most, need help at some point in life. Do what you need to to keep yourself and your child healthy.

Please don’t, it’s there to help you for the next 5 years. I’d advice you to use whatever help they can provide you with if you need it.

Please don’t feel guilty!!! Being a mom Is hard enough, we seem to judge everything we do or don’t do right for our kids and arw too hard on ourselves already. Never feel guilty asking for or getting help. And ignore anyone who tries to make you feel bad.
My boyfriend and I were on food stamps for about 6 months while he was out of work trying to find a new job. He has shared custody of 3 kids which made 4 preteen/teens in our home. We didn’t want them to feel like there was any financial stress or worry about eating.
You do what you need to!!

Never feel guilty for feeding your child. That is what you pay taxes for.

It is there for a reason. It’s ok to need help sometimes! Look at it as you doing what needs to be done to keep your baby healthy!!! That’s what a good mom does!

I see Wic as for my baby not myself. My son couldnt latch and I couldn’t breastfeed him long. I’m happy for Wic cause formula isnt cheap. I’m a stay at home mom right now cause my boyfriend is deployed. So we have one person income. Wic is helping us so much.

I dont see why ANYONE should feel guilty. The help is there for a reason!

Dont ever feel guilty! Everyone needs help sometimes! Like others are saying, your taxes pay for it, and even when you are not on it youre still paying. Especially in times like these. Don’t beat yourself up, you are doing right by you and your child

Don’t feel guilty cause that is what it is for… when your down on your luck or going through hard times. No reason to judge yourself.

Does she feel guilty everytime she pay taxes? I’m sure the government doesn’t feel guilty when they take from your baby :laughing:

No, if you’re eligible for it, use it. WiC, food stamps, whatever. You’re not taking benefits from someone else. Don’t wait to ask for help until you’re already in a hole and struggling to feed your kids.
I raised 3 kids on WIC and other public assistance until I got a job working for social services in my state and was able to get off assistance, I’ve been there and know how hard it is but I just want to help make things better for my clients if I can

Not at all, any taxes you’ve paid goes towards that service and it’s there to help you.

You can apply and feel good doing I paid taxes for 40 years or more and that is our tax money so do not feel giulty

I got WIC for my older kids! I was even a teacher with a Masters degree and still was eligible for WIC! I never thought twice! It’s there for you to get if you are eligible!!

Me and my husband both work our asses off and have two kids but formula is a HUGE expense. I use wic and i dont care what anyone thinks its for our babies dont feel guilty love fuck anyone that would judge us for doing what we gotta do to feed our babies

I did a little bit but as soon as I found out how much formula was that feeling went away very quickly. You’ve gotta do whatcha gotta do to feed your baby.

I have people telling me to apply for EBT & stuff like that & I feel guilty for it thats why I haven’t applied yet.

1 Like

Nope. My husband and I BOTH worked our butts off. I was getting back part of what i put in same as when we had to use food stamps.
Most important thing is that your baby needs to eat. If you can get the assistance please use it. Formula isn’t cheap.

Yes totally did. But you have to remember it is a resource for people who need it. If you qualify, don’t feel bad. Don’t feel guilty