I feel like I am failing as a mother: Advice?

Reflux is hard. I personally do not believe in colic. Keep trying different meds. With acid reflux you need to keep him propped up. If they arenot propped it causes discomfort which leads to crying. Burp every ounce, pacifiers help ease reflux symptoms, sometimes meds need tinkered with, maybe a different formula but I was told that does not affect reflux. If you need anyone to talk to please reach out. If we are allowed to message other members in the group feel free to message me. I remember how hard the reflux was. My daughter literally cried for HOURSS on end.

You could always do what my doctor suggested by putting cans under one end of a crib or pack and play legs so it’s at an incline. I also used a bouncer seat so he wasn’t laying flat sometimes

Be needs to be held by you. He needs his mommy.

Have you tried different formula? All my babies were on the orange can for sensitive stomach. Never had gas problems

When my son was tiny he had reflux really bad, and I felt it helped to elevate the head of his bed a teeny bit. Like literally I put a folded blanket under the mattress of the bassinet, so it raised the head maybe half an inch. That seemed to help a tonnnn. Also, mylicon drops. I breastfed the entire time and I think I had an overactive let down so he vomited alot too, but eventually we both got the hang of it. It was pretty miserable for a few months though. :sob: Good luck!

Girl you are not alone ans you are not failing, give it time, its hard in the beginning with the lack of sleep, trust im doing it now with my thrid right now. Just give it time and it will get easier. As along as you love your baby and taking care of him the best you can, you are not failing. Thank you for being so vulnerable to share, maybe this will make you feel not so alone

1 Like

Just because “dad works” doesn’t give him the excuse not to help you out at night. You need sleep just as much as he does. (Unless it’s because he’s working night shift and physically isn’t there at night). This season in life is so so tough, but you are absolutely not failing as a mother. The fact that you care enough to make this post means you are a great mother. Don’t be afraid to reach out to friends and family for some extra help. Take care of yourself mama :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Clogged ducts and gas, he might have a tongue tie. If he’s not able to nurse as efficiently as he wants that would cause a lot of fussiness. I would have him assessed for tongue and lip ties to see if there might be a problem before putting him on meds - pediatricians can’t always identify them as easily as lactation consultants or pediatric dentists who are more studied on that specific issue.

If there is a tie impeding his nursing, you could either have it revised so he can nurse better or else you could switch him to formula, depending on what you want to do. But breast infections like mastitis are usually caused by milk not being fully removed from the breast which is more common when the child is not latching or nursing well.

Try a spoon of dark karo syrup in a bottle helped when my brother had colic for 3 mnts it was the first time he slept all night worked so good i used it with both my kids too

I went through this as well, switching to a different formula worked well and gripe water helped the tough nights. You are doing great, you’ll get through this :heart:

You need help. You need a friend or relative to come give you a break. I have heard about a swing type thing that is fairly new and you lay the baby on their belly over the ball shaped thing and then it moves. It is supposed to help with this.

1 Like

It sounds like colic. My youngest had it. I ended up sleeping in a reclined sitting position for the first 4 months because it was the only way he could sleep. But he got better and I did not have any problems with getting him to sleep in his crib, once he was over it

My son is tongue tied and has bad gas every night i do give him gripe water but also since i put half a scoop of rice cereal in his bottle he doesn’t cry when he has gas at night anymore

Is there anyone that can help you ? Do you have a niece or friend that can help you get some decent rest . Maybe someone from church ? The baby can use formula in addition to your milk till you get settled .

I had to give nursing a break for a couple days. My nipples were cracked and the pain of nursing was awful. But after a couple days of bottle feeding I went back to nursing and it was much better.

It sounds like nursing is not going to work out for you. But that’s ok. If you are giving him formula and he is still having belly aches he may need a different formula. One of my kids had to have soy, another could drink anything, my youngest was so fussy. She would burp up a whole bottle projectile, they wanted to put her on meds too. She had to have meat based formula, she was fine then.

You’re not failing… newborns are rough… sleep when the baby sleeps if u can during the day… ask for help from any near by family or friends… my oldest was allergic to me so I couldn’t breastfeed him… I felt like a failure… but he thrived on formula… the soy one… his younger brothers i couldn’t keep up with on feeding with breastmilk as I just don’t produce a lot… and I dried up when they were 5 weeks old… everyone is different… gas drops were a god send for my kids… they were all gassy… you will think for a bit you’re going crazy but I promise it gets better… and you sadly get used to functioning on little sleep… it just takes a bit for your body to adjust… congrats on the little one… hug take a deep breath. It will be ok. Ask for help when you feel overwhelmed… even someone else doing a round of laundry or dishes will help…

Try soy formula my son was real gassy and was not sleeping well untill I try soy dairy free formula n help trumendusly

1 Like

Mom of 4 - I would exclusively breastfeed during day and right before bed time do a formula bottle to get them to sleep a little longer. Then throughout the night when they were hungry or needed to nurse for comfort I would. Try the gentlease type, which is for gasy babies. I was also a very light sleeper and co-slept, but that’s your own comfort level. My 2nd had horrible gas/reflux and the first 3 months slept on his tummy on my chest while I rubbed his lower back - as he got older he could only tolerate the little tikes infant chair we had or the swing, it was rough especially having an 18 month old to take care of during day on little to no sleep, so I totally feel your pain. Mylacon was good but the best stuff was Gripe Water, omg miracle juice I swear!

Don’t beat yourself up, you aren’t failing and you love your babies enough to come on social media platform and ask for help and support! Kudos to you!!

I had 2 reflux baby and we had to elevate the mattress so there heads were elevated in the crib or bassinet

1 Like

Rub his belly and give him some mashed potato’s and gravy he is not satisfied

Have you tried goats milk. May be your formula.

Try tightly swaddling in blanket. Helps sometimes.

You are great mother, the best your children will ever have. I pray you find a solution.

You’re not failing you’re doing great!
If you weren’t worried or stressed then that’s failing.
My daughter had the same problem.
She always spit up laying flat
So we got a reclining carriage stroller.
I could recline her to a safe position where she wasn’t flat, her air way was clear and she slept amazing!

You are just tired, sugar!!! You are far from failing! Call in some reinforcements! Whether it’s grandma, a close friend, whomever…ask someone to take a shift so you can sleep and shower and collect yourself. Next, try soy formula. I couldn’t produce enough milk from week one and had to supplement with all 3 kids. It’s ok. Finally, try slightly elevating babies head and SWADDLE! If baby is used to going asleep in your arms, slightly warm the swaddle, to remind baby of being in your belly and arms. It’s great that baby finds so much comfort in you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: but take care of yourself too.

When I was a baby I had similar issues and mom used canned PET milk instead of formula. Some people switch to goats milk or fresh cows milk.

1 Like

No such thing as failing when your trying that hard.
Raise the head end of the bed just a little by rolling up a blanket and stuffing it under that side.
If your stroller lays back to almost flat but not quite try letting him sleep in that. Car seats are too upright and dangerous so are bouncy chairs. I bent a bouncy chair till it was almost flat for this purpose.
My son had acid reflux and was the most unhappy baby I have ever known until he could sit up and then walk. The acid reflux meds are weight dependent too so make sure with your dr that the dose is still right. Also ask about gentle formulas and see if they can give you samples so you can figure out what works because special ones get expensive

You are doing great moma…it takes time to settle and get used to a routine and once your hormone levels balanced you will eventually get the courage to manage both… My toddler was 14 months when the 2nd was born via cesarean. He was an extremely colicky baby and had a real hard time… Alhamdhulillah he is going to be 4 months and becoming fine…
Try these
When he fell asleep put him on his back , that helps to him sleep little more…
Try a rocking chair with vibrator.
Or rock him on the baby car seat carier
Pecifier helps too
If he is sleeping on his back, make him sleep on his side, or elevate the legs keep a smLl pillow under…
Colic massage
Bicycle leg exercise…
Encourage tymmy time
Burb all the time.

Medicine given
*Bia gia protestis probiotic drop 5 drops daily
*gas med suspension drop 0.3ml 2 to 3 times a day…

I have had 2 babies with severe acid reflux and idgaf what doctors say, keep him elevated at all times especially sleeping. My oldest son slept in his car seat but that was 14 yrs ago and I didn’t have much money or options but my 4 month old has bouncers and swings and chairs that are inclined ALOT, like he’s basically sitting up. I’ve even inclined him on pillows. Acid reflux tends to peak at around 3 to 4 months. Also my son has been sleeping somewhat inclined on his side or even his stomach( during the day) since sround 3 months and it works miracles. I should also mention I have twins though my babygirl does not have the same issues. I know exactly what you’re feeling and going through. My twins are babies #5 & 6 for me and my baby boys acid reflux had me feeling like a failure too, as if I hadn’t already raised 4 babied/kids before him lol. I’ve tried it all. He is on A.R. milk because my supply was never enough for both and my pump stopped stimulating enough to get milk out but besides that it was just to hard with his needs alone let alone twins. I dont recommend the inclined stomach sleeping thing at your babies age but there is a product I wish I would have gotten sooner its called a BABOCUSH NEWBORN COMFORT CUSHION . Its pretty pricey but it would have been a life saver

You are NOT failing mama and remember, FED is BEST! You can do it!

There’s literally no right way to do things. Figure out how to get your baby to stop crying and keep doing that. I got baby gas meds and pumped my baby full of the recommended dose at the recommended time. And I let her sleep on her belly…

If you have to, switch to bottles! Your not a bad mom for trying things to see if they work. Keep trying different things till you find what works. Just like every adult is different and likes different things, so do babies. I had a super hard baby. It’s so rough, you are not alone!