I feel like my daughters boyfriend is too giving..how do I approach him?

leave that boy alone, he’s going through a lot right now.

9 Likes

Walk gently. I agree with speaking with his mother. But I have always been “too much”. I will be at the store and see something that makes me think of someone and I get it and give to them. It makes me happy and let’s someone know for whatever reason I thought of them that day and it made me smile. Someone telling me I am too much literally breaks my heart and makes me rethink doing something that truly makes me happy. I have been doing this since I was little. I remember my dad telling me when I was maybe 5 or 6 there where kids that didn’t have toys or even coats and shoes. I think I packed half my toys and clothes and gave it to him to give away. I am sure my parents put some of it back because we didn’t have a lot eitherbut we had what we needed and maybe a few things we just wanted.

2 Likes

Don’t talk to him. Talk to his Mom.

4 Likes

It’s his love language. He just needs to learn to be careful and not get hurt/used when he’s older. He sees you as family. What’s the problem, he’s different? Maybe that’s a good thing

8 Likes

He will be a control freak soon

2 Likes

Sounds like your husband, you and his mother should all have a conversation and a gentle conversation with said kid. Maybe seeing the smiles on y’all’s faces when gifted the gifts numbs the pain of losing his father. He sounds like a well rounded, respectful kiddo that his father would be proud of.

3 Likes

I would call his mom and ask her what she thinks as far as how to help support him through this and give her room to be supported too.

6 Likes

How old is he???and if he is giving everyone gifts u need to know where he is getting them and why haven’t u talked to his mom???something is not right and why r u letting a 13yr dateing???

6 Likes

Gift giving is a love language. Whether that be true love or family love. He is clearly very comfortable with your family and sees you all as important in his life.

6 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with gifting. Invite him over. He just lost his father. Make him feel like part of the family.

6 Likes

You should speak with him mom

1 Like

Maybe you should have a talk with your daughter and not him. Explain to her he’s grieving and how to not take advantage of that. He apparently feels very comfortable and welcomed by your family and he may need your presence now. If your daughter is dating him you should have a relationship of some type with his mom but I don’t think it’s serious enough to need a group meeting. The watch could’ve been his dad’s. Whatever you do approach sensitively

3 Likes

Try finding a book that will teach him about not buying love from others. Then, give it to him as a gift :woman_shrugging:

Poor guy. It’s probably his way of grieving. That’s a hard talk, however he needs to realize people will use him. Maybe the first approach is addressing that. Then the door is open

I would be wondering where these gifts are coming from,and does his Mom know about it?

6 Likes

The fact that we’re talking about 13 year old! Jesus

3 Likes

Why is everyone saying 13 is to young to have a boyfriend like my sister met her boyfriend at 11 yes 11 and they are still together now and 18 this year

1 Like

It probably makes him feel good to give so just let him

Have you considered talking to his mum about this.

2 Likes

Talk to his mom one on one

Good day everyone sorry for posting here without your conscent I have just been credited from this platform so I decided to share it with my friends and everyone here so that you too can also join and benefit from it, join the platform and testify too.
you will surely come back and thank me for appreciation. get in touch with Mrs mrs Elizabeth James by clicking on the links below
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

1 Like

I would encourage him that his spending time is ample …

Contact his mother with love and express your concerns.

Try to tell him that while you appreciate the gifts, the fact that your daughter has a respectful sweet boyfriend that you can see cares for her very much is a gift in of itself and that’s all the gifts you need from him.

Honestly, I would get him some gifts from all of you and thank him for all of his thoughtful gifts. Then I would tell him that being loving, respectful, a good person, good friend, and kind is important and that you all see that he is all of those things. Tell him that matters more than gifts. Spending time together and making memories are what you love to do and that maybe instead of gifts you all could do activities together to build memories instead of gifts. He lost his dad a month ago. I wouldn’t push it any further right now. He is young and vulnerable.