I feel like my daughters boyfriend is too giving..how do I approach him?

His love language may be giving and receiving. That is honestly how some people show they care and feel that others care about them. As long as he is legally obtaining these gifts and freely giving them then I say leave it alone. If you are concerned about how and where he is getting the gifts then talk to his mother or guardian. You can also let him know that you all sincerely appreciate the gifts but that they are in no way expected and that yall care for him with out the gifts. More than likely he just likes to give gifts. I am like that. I give gifts often for no reason other than I saw this and thought Jane Doe would like it so I got it. I expect nothing in return I just like to make other smile with surprise gifts. I think they are better than expected gift for holidays or birthdays.

7 Likes

Now I’m wondering if that was his dad’s watch that he gave your husband

5 Likes

Wow 13 and has a boyfriend that seems really young just going to say that, but he seems to be just wanting that connection and giving her and you guys gifts is his way of showing love. He wants to be accepted it sounds like. I would say you appreciate everything he hss done, its so sweet and thoughtful, thank you. Say you don’t need to give us anything but thank you and give him a hug.

3 Likes

How his he getting these gifts to give? Is his mom taking him shopping for them? Are they things he’s finding in his home and giving as gifts?

2 Likes

Why are you allowing your 13 y/o have a BF. Too young, you need to emphasize education, including college, self reliance. He does not need or should have a BF at her age.

14 Likes

It sounds like he’s grieving his dad. Maybe the watch was his dad’s. Maybe he doesn’t know how to grieve his dad. And maybe saving that watch for that boy and letting him know and that he doesn’t need to shower your daughter and your sons and you guys with gifts to show his love. Get 13 he’s still trying to find his way. I have three daughters and a son my son is 13. You and your daughter just love him. Maybe have your husband take him and your sons and go and do something together. Maybe that’s what he needs right now. And he doesn’t know how to ask for help. My heart breaks for that little boy.

8 Likes

Tread very carefully. This boy is grieving the loss of his father. Saying one wrong thing could traumatize him for life. I know that sounds drastic but it happens. He is showering your family with gifts to make sure he doesn’t loose you all as well. Kids this age don’t know how to grieve OR have relationships. Perhaps sit him down and let him know how thankful you all are BUT he does not need to gift you for you to like him <3 You all already do!

9 Likes

Let your husband bring him under his wings

24 Likes

Check with his parents it my be something they need to know an he can get help!

2 Likes

I wonder if the watch was his or his dads ?

3 Likes

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 23006 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. M0re Info. https://jobsgalexy301.netlify.app/

Good gracious. Stay out of it and let him navigate this.

1 Like

Watch was dad’s, maybe give it to his mom

1 Like

I would just let him know that while it’s sweet, later in life people may take advantage of that so be careful who he’s generous to.

10 Likes

Talk to his mother, stop the Gifts, just encase she become involve with someone else

1 Like

I was just like this kid. He’s lacking in attachment and boundaries but I promise you, pointing out what he already knows will not benefit anyone. You’re right to tread carefully with this not only for him but your daughter.
My best suggestion is to talk to him and tell him you are so severely appreciative off all his gifts and don’t want to discourage further gifts but want to assure him it is certainly not something he should feel he has to do to earn his place. Maybe mention your language is more on the side of gestures like helping out or even just kind words, whatever you do really appreciate. Tell him he’s got no one to impress, your daughter cares for him and as long as they continue to grow together so shall you. Make a point that he doesn’t need any grand gestures to be accepted or loved, he already is.

25 Likes

I would talk to the mom before I talked to the kid. See if she can shed some light on the situation.

5 Likes

Maybe this is helping him feel less empty after losing his dad. Leave it be.

I guess people are unaware that maybe he has a wealthy family and they just might be giving him the money? Why is the first thing you jump to theft? My friend had a mercedes at 15. Give me a break.

Jed Duignan this makes me so sad :pleading_face:

1 Like

reassure him in gentle ways that though it’s appreciated it is absolutely NOT necessary :two_hearts: keep reiterating that in any way you can each time he gives gifts. Let him know that love doesn’t mean give, give, giving until you have nothing left & that the people meant to love you / be in your life are that way regardless of money or things. that doesn’t buy or keep people, our actions & behaviour do. we cannot throw money or gifts on problems until they go away, & we cannot use money or gifts only to apologize/ make amends

1 Like

The watch was probably his dads. I
Would talk to the mom not the boy

2 Likes

He might be giving gifts because he loves you people & he did just lose someone close to him. As a young adult he might not know how to properly give affection & gifts are a love language he has.

4 Likes

What’s wrong with gift giving? Leave the kid alone! He just wants to feel accepted and make you guys happy.

4 Likes

Nothing,
you say nothing!!. His love language could be gift giving and having someone he cares for tell him its too much at a tragic time like this at such a young age could be horrible for him.

7 Likes

I say leave it alone .

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 19231 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. M0re Info. https://jobsgalexy323.netlify.app/

I am trying to comprehend that you have a problem with this young man. He could be the thug type and giving her drugs and abusing her .I find it very rare nowadays to have such a giving young man or woman in our lives. This boy is grieving and this may be his way of finding a balance and being happy . He is going through enough right now don’t make it worse.

3 Likes

I would say,“oh sweetie…how very sweet of you. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. But you really really REALLY don’t have to do all this. Treating my daughter with respect is the best gift you could possibly give us.”

24 Likes

I think you need to have a quiet chat to him mum first. Was that his watch, or his fathers? Giving away possessions, can be an indication that someone is contemplating suicide. Not necessarily, but after losing his father, his mental health needs to be checked.

My sons partner started buying gifts for me 9 months into their relationship. I accepted the gift said I loved it (cause I do), and the said that I loved them like one of my own children and I hoped they didn’t think they had to buy me stuff for me to like them.

7 Likes

I would not say anything. Obviously his love language is gift giving and it makes him happy. Do not scold him for that.

6 Likes

I think your approaching this right as later in life someone will take advantage of such a loving and caring boy. If he gives you stuff I’d politely say oh please don’t all we need is having you here with us that’s a great gift. Also the best gift you can give it treating your girlfriend well. If it continues to a point you are really worried I’d maybe have a quiet word with his mum or whoever he lives with over it. Some people are saying oh it’s bad you want to speak up and such but I personally would be happy if it was my son as I don’t want people to walk all over him and that could happen in a few years. As long as there not mega expensive let him give them to your daughter as his girlfriend but not anyone else in the house.

1 Like

Let him give the watch and let your husband do things with him! Don’t stop him from connecting he needs it!

5 Likes

Is gift giving his love language? Please just embrace him being in the family, he will need all the support he can get and he sounds so sweet. Talk to your daughter, so she understands how he might be scared of losing you all too so needs reassurance x

5 Likes

I would just make sure that he knows it’s important that he does not have to buy relationships

2 Likes

Honestly he sounds super sweet however he is only 13 and I would just reach out t to the mom and just check in with her and make sure she is aware he is doing this to that extent.

2 Likes

13 with a boyfriend I would be a little sketchy

4 Likes

Gift giving may be his love language. Everyone has a love language. There are 5 types of love languages: Quality Time, Gifts, Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service and Physical touch.

5 Likes

Yea keep ur dumb mouth shut.

7 Likes

It’s wonderful that he is a nice kid but where is he getting the money for all of these gifts. He’s not old enough to be making a lot of money so I would be very careful how you tackle this.

2 Likes

Why Should a 13 Year old have a boyfriend, that’s even giving gifts to her family? Is He 13 also? Or is he older?. I am just asking.

5 Likes

Please do not say anything to that little boy. Only because his father just passed away. Otherwise I would talk to him about how people can see that and take advantage of Him and reach out to his mom to let her handle it. You shouldn’t be the one to say anything at all.

3 Likes

Do something nice for him. And gently let him know that there are different ways to give gifts and show affection.

4 Likes

Talk to his momma he’s only 13

7 Likes

I would leave it alone. If you say something and it goes wrong he could turn out to be the type of person who never gives gifts or shows affection. I wouldn’t risk it.

1 Like

Let him know gifts are welcome on special occasions/ holidays but kindness,respect and love is an everyday gift and make sure to tell him that you so appreciate his thoughtfulness good luck mum :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

I can’t allow my 13yr old to have a boyfriend first of all

4 Likes

Let him know his presence is enough, he is enough. And while it is very kind of him, to be thinking of others, anyone worth his friendship will never need gifts. Hugs are all you need :heart:

4 Likes

gift him back it’s his love language

9 Likes

some people are generous to a fault :grin:

3 Likes

Please don’t. Gift giving is probably his love language. As long as he isn’t giving inappropriate gifts, spending too much money, etc. Just let him be.

11 Likes

These gifts maybe his late fathers

2 Likes

His love language may be gift giving…that might be how he expresses love

5 Likes

Take all his offering. He only wants one thing. Your daughters virginity.

11 Likes

Hes a giver he will be happy if he gives

2 Likes

Sounds like gifts are his love language. Don’t make him feel ashamed for how he needs to show his love and attention. If he’s treating her right, that’s all that matters. Don’t kill off a rare piece of kindness left in this world. That will prosper into a very kind and loving adult.

4 Likes

Don’t even bother.
If it goes wrong he probably won’t ever be nice or give gifts again. Why would you even worry he loves you’re daughter. And family. Do something nice for him. :100:

9 Likes

He may be looking to your family, as his family. Do something nice and sweet for him…also explain to him that when you care about someone, you don’t always have to give gifts, that most times just having you here with us is enough. Also, in another way he may be reaching out because he did lose his dad so recently. Hold that young man tight!!

11 Likes

I would be talking to his mama

4 Likes

He just want to be accepted. He is doing it out of kindness but just let him know u love him and will be there for him. He is probably feeling lost as such tragic incident just happened. Have you talked to his mom? Maybe it will be better to talk to her then telling him.

He sounds like a sweet boy, but young and in a position to be taken advantage of.
I’d pull him aside and talk to him. Let him know, he’s enough.
His precious existence, is enough. Give him a hug, a cuddle, and maybe a batch of fresh muffins or cookies, and let him know

2 Likes

Why would a 13 year old have a boyfriend

2 Likes

I don’t see an issue here he’s obviously just a very loving and caring person who likes to give people gifts and make peoples day’s special don’t break his spirit

1 Like

Wait your 13 year old daughter has a boyfriend that you know about ??? Where is his mama at and where all the gifts coming from???

3 Likes

Let that boy be for now

2 Likes

I hate to be dramatic, but sometimes when someone starts giving stuff away, especially special stuff, they can possibly be thinking of suicide. I’m just saying to watch for signs and such, it doesn’t necessarily mean that, obviously

2 Likes

I would pull him aside and explain to him that you appreciate everything but that he doesn’t need to give gifts for you to like him!! Maybe he feels like ppl like him more if he’s giving them things…
Also maybe return the favor and buy him something nice to show him you care for him as well…
Just my thoughts.

11 Likes

Sounds like his dad did a great job teaching him in the short time he’s been in his life

6 Likes

A few people have brought up suicide (definitely be wary of that and maybe ask his mom if it’s normal) on the other hand could gifts possibly be HIS love language? If so maybe he’s just showing you guys he cares via his love language?

5 Likes

Uummm…make sure you see receipts fir the gifts…13-yo needs boundaries…set a limit…if this kid is not wealthy how is he affording these gifts? You don’t want to look out the window and see blue lights…

7 Likes

That’s his love language :pleading_face:

2 Likes

These gits could be stolen…

5 Likes

I was thinking the same thing ,the gifts might be stolen be careful ,more back ground check is needed here

5 Likes

Seems like this boy is in need of counseling. Perhaps if his mother is aware of her son’s needs (grieving), she might agree for her son to go to a school counselor or a qualified one; the boy won’t need to know where this suggestion’s coming from. He may still be grieving over losing his father and this is his way of showing some kind of emotion. In the meantime you might have a talk (nicely) with him about gift giving to stop. Tell him that this won’t affect his affection/relationship with your daughter. She needs to know as well.

1 Like

Sounds like he could be giving her family things that belonged to his dad and his family, looking for a place to “fit in” IMO 13 is too young to have a boyfriend let alone receiving gifts. Just saying!

3 Likes

I just came back from Ireland and brought over and handed out more gifts than I packed clothes. :man_shrugging: people from home thought it was weird, everyone I gave a beer cozy to or key chain, seemed delighted and thankful. People love Christmas, the spirit of giving makes it special. My philosophy is if it’s so great why not live every day like it’s xmas? I don’t hand out gifts every day or anything, but I never brought back any souvenirs for myself either. Just gifts for family and friends. As long as the kid isn’t giving away his kidney and is healthy and happy, then I say good on him. The world could use more people like him.

9 Likes

Talk with his mother…… and why does a 13 yr old have a boyfriend :person_tipping_hand:t4:

7 Likes

Def speak with the mother. Sounds so sweet but def worth checking up on.

1 Like

Tell the little eshay to stop stealing peoples stuff mybuh.

2 Likes

That sounds like sticky fingers

1 Like

Dont. As someone who loves giving gifts to people because it makes ME feel better, do not approach him. If you do, there is a very good chance you are going to destroy that boys thought process and make him feel like he is “too much”. Dont do it. Accept it and smile. It isnt hurting you or anyone else.

13 Likes

It’s a blessing from god and him claim it that’s all

Talk his mother wat if it’s stolen? I’d do some background check n see wat happens

2 Likes

Tell him that you all appreciate the gifts, but that you’d like to stick to appropriate gift-giving holidays for things like that, so that they don’t lose the special-ness of the occasion.

4 Likes

He sounds like a sweet kid. However, he may be trying to buy your daughter’s love & affection and your approval. I would give the watch back by gently telling him that he may grow into the watch and it has too much sentimental value for him to give away. I would ask him to stop buying the gifts for your daughter and especially your family., unless it’s a special occasion or just an occasional gift for your daughter.

6 Likes

Sounds like a terrible time for you to bring this up. His dad died only a month ago, go easy on him

4 Likes

How is he buying all these gifts ?

2 Likes

How does a kid that young afford gifts… someone get a 10 finger discount :thinking:

2 Likes

Awe thats so sweet don’t do or say anything

3 Likes

I would talk to his mom :heart: I would worry that was his dad’s watch :thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

Be a supportive person to him, he obviously needs it. If your husband could spend time with him it would be great for him. Let your husband tell him to keep the watch and grow into it, he’s most likely looking for another male role model of some kind or just someone to talk to.

14 Likes

Maybe talk to him? Let him know that you think it is amazing how thoughtful & kind he is but let him know that there are people as he gets older that will take his kindness for granted.

1 Like

The kid is probably lost and needing the feeling of family and love. Home may be where his mom is but there might be reasons he is clinging to your home. I would take him and your daughter and talk to them. Let him know you appreciate and value him, that you are glad he’s around and a great influence on your kids but that you want to respect him back. Gifts can overshadow the love that is already there without that stuff. Be supportive and let him feel acknowledged while developing healthy boundaries for everyone. Just only include your daughter and him. Not the full family.

6 Likes

My son lost his dad very tragically and he is forever giving things away because all he wants is to feel loved and accepted. Some of these comments are just fucking dumb.

It’s his love language

6 Likes

It might be his love language. It might be a watch from his dad and by hiving it to your hubby he sees him as a father figure.

But, I would arrange a meeting with his mom and ask her about it and if she knows about it.

2 Likes

Maybe your husband or daughter could talk to him

1 Like

In the culture I was trained, a 13 year old is underage to have a boyfriend to start with so I will not encourage any of my daughters at 13years to have a boyfriend, so help me God to achieve this, Amen.

3 Likes

Tell your daughter to have the conversation with him and talk to his parents.
Personally I don’t think 13 year old should date and I also don’t think a parent needs to correct another child’s behavior without speaking to their parent first unless the behavior is immediately inappropriate.

4 Likes

Maybe he gifting thinking he buying friendships .idk Tell him we don’t need gifts to like u or appreciate u
ur already liked and when u come over just bring urself and nothing else cause ur enough (:

5 Likes