I feel like my MIL disrespected my marriage: Advice?

I went over to my mother in laws house after work since she watches my infant for my husband and I (2x) a week. I have always tried really hard to have a close relationship with her. Things have started to look up and I finally thought we were in a really good place. When I arrive at her house I notice she has a cute table full of halloween decorations displayed (I love halloween so of course I go over and take a look). I notice she put up a picture of her and my husbands ex wife in their Halloween costumes and hung it up. Mind you this (ex wife) tried coming into my marriage right after I gave birth and the ex wife cheated on my husband - had a whole ass affair on him that’s why they aren’t together plus she married the guy she cheated on my hubby with. As a mother myself why would you display a photo of her in your house with you and her together? I feel like it is disrespectful to my marriage. This isn’t the first time she has done this… we are 3 years in , married and a child now. I feel like I will constantly be reminded of the ex wife. They have no children together and there are no ties. Why is she hanging pictures of her and the ex wife together? I do not understand and I’m trying so hard to understand but I’m at my wits end. I spoke to my husband about it when we got home and he just said “I’ll tell her to take it down”… I just feel like he doesn’t care that much and I feel it is embarrassing. TIA

62 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I feel like my MIL disrespected my marriage: Advice?

Did she get close to her? I dunno because even if I liked my child’s ex partner I don’t think I could continue to like them if they cheated on them :flushed::flushed: so it’s inappropriate on all levels

20 Likes

If my mom had a picture of me and my ex hanging up in her house for my husband to see I would just throw it away🤣. There must be something to this picture. I don’t know why the husband wouldn’t have already done that. Lol

19 Likes

You have no say in what she does in her house :woman_shrugging::woman_facepalming: it doesn’t matter if they are EX’S or whatever MAYBE the ex and his mom had/have a close relationship :woman_shrugging: you’re just trying to find a reason to fight IMO Sarah Diveley

13 Likes

As a mom of adult kids, I would never have pictures out on display of them together with an ex for any reason. That person was made an ex by my child for a reason and that’s the end of that person taking up space.

12 Likes

You don’t get to say who she chooses to be friends with or what she does in her home. Get over it.

11 Likes

Young lady whomever you are…You are NOT wrong or crazy for feeling the way you do. It’s not about jealousy as some on here are saying. It’s about RESPECT! If your MIL respected you this would be a non issue. No, you can’t control what someone does in their own home but you can feel a way about it especially if it’s at your own expense. I would never do that to my son or daughter in laws because I would know its disrespectful and out of line to their now spouses. And for future reference NEVER ask single women for married people’s advice.

9 Likes

Personally, I would let her know (yourself) how it makes you feel, she knows it’s wrong, and if your husband cared about your feelings he would have told her to get rid of the picture YEARS ago, she’s moved on and he’s moved on so it’s weird she has pictures of them still together, I would take a picture of (you & your husband) and bring it to her and she can hang it up and tell her I’m who he’s with now and it’s unacceptable. You don’t have to kiss her a*# just because it’s your MIL Wrong is wrong.

8 Likes

Just let her know.
Does she still have a relationship with the ex wife? If they are still close I could see why she still has a picture of her and other person.

5 Likes

Listen- there are some of my ex’s family I still consider family, but as a mom if I pulled some business like that it would be a deliberate slight to my child’s new partner. She knows what she’s doing.

4 Likes

Just because your husband stopped loving her doesn’t mean his family has too. When your with someone for a while you’re family gets attached to them

4 Likes

Your MIL is allowed to display whatever she wants in her home. She’s allowed to hang on to her good memories; regardless of the type of person those memories are with. Her relationship with her previous daughter in law has nothing to do with you. Get over your jealousy.

20 Likes

My MIL took every photo of my boyfriend and his ex down literally as I was omw to her house for the very first time. I’m not sure what she did with them and I don’t care but she never put them back up. I didn’t ask and I didn’t expect it but it was nice it did make me feel as if she took me seriously and respected me. I would simply talk to your MIL and express your feelings in a non confrontational way. Different families… are different? They may not even look at this the same way you are and that’s why a conversation needs to be had

17 Likes

She might just like the picture as a Halloween decoration. Sometimes things are just that simple and not meant to be hurtful. Sometimes not.
Offer to take a new one with her sons new family, and then ask her to put that other one away in a photo album.
Her response will determine her intentions.

1 Like

Don’t feel intimidated maybe she wanted your reaction and you’re giving it to her. Who cares what she hangs in her home. Her actions will either soon catch up to her.

1 Like

I dealt with this when I was married. It was the tip of the iceberg to what followed with mine and my MIL relationship as well as the one with her son. Needless to say, things didn’t work out. I really hope that isn’t the case for you. It is her house, but you have a right to feel disrespected. Obviously, she deliberately put it out for you to see. I wish you Good luck!

Not only is it disrespectful to you, but to your husband as well. She shouldn’t be putting up pictures of a woman that had an affair while with her son. Slap in the face for both of you’s. I’d say something.

Bc it’s you MILs house and her choice to maintain a relationship with this other person. It really has nothing to do with her relationship to you.You cannot control other peoples. You don’t want to see the picture then don’t look at it.

2 Likes

Everyone says it’s her house and her choice - yes it is BUT if you don’t like it and you tell her and she chooses to keep it with actions come consequences - you don’t have to go over there and neither does your child of your husband ! And no it’s not being ugly staying away - If she disrespects you and your feelings you have all rights to step back ! No one is going to disrespect me and then think they have access to keep my kids and be around me like nothings wrong ! If she makes a comment about you and your family staying away - she can make the choice of who she wants in her life someone she wouldn’t know if it weren’t for her son or her family !

Well yeah that sucks you can let her know how you feel in a nice way but she may still not want to take it down and you can’t control her you can only control yourself so if it really bothers me I would find another babysitter until I’m ready to come to terms with it and heal my own insecurities about it . Ugh I know those emotions suck to have and your feelings are valid . Don’t feel bad as much as your mind tells you your with him now and that’s all that matters . Big hug to you and wish for you to gain peace with this .

She is trying to upset you. I wouldn’t allow her to watch your child and I’d refuse to go there.

1 Like

If they have a child together I could see this happening because ThTs stil their mom and it makes it look like they are still friends.

My husband who was only my boyfriend at the time did this exact thing my husband tore it up in front of her :joy: she was so mad :rofl: but it literally made no sense her having a picture of her hung on the fridge :woman_facepalming:t2: she probably just doesn’t like you. Bcuz my husbands mom didn’t like me she still don’t but me and hubby DC! Cling to your wife is what we live by!

She can put whatever picture she wants at her house.
If you have a problem with that just stop going to her house and problem solve

For some reason she’s trying to get a rise out of you and it’s working. It IS disrespectful but I would probably totally ignore it like I didn’t notice. She really is an odd one or clueless.

Maybe your MIL and your husband’s ex were / are close. It’s her home and she can put a picture up of her and her ex daughter if she chooses to. It sounds like it was part of her Halloween decorations in her home.

She is trying to be a witch and cause trouble. Your husband needs to manage her and set some boundaries!!

I went through this. Everyone tried to tell me it wasn’t “that deep” but I say it’s a red flag. Run while you can.

1 Like

Stop looking for reasons to be offended. Maybe she doesn’t think anything about the picture but that it was in her Halloween decor stuff and she just sat it out cause her son is in the picture with a costume on, and that’s it! The mil knows your the new wife obviously loves the grand baby to watch it. Stop putting so much into an old picture of the past when you now have her sons present and future. It’s just a picture!

Does she have a relationship with her ex daughter in law? I mean she obviously has cared about this woman in the past, why should her feelings change just because her son and the ex wife didn’t work out?

If it bothers you, she probably doesn’t realize it does and probably isn’t doing it to be malicious either.

I’m sure she has pictures of you and him as well?

2 Likes

Her house, she can hang what pictures she likes. That being said it is disrespectful. Honestly, I’d put my kid in daycare instead of letting her watch them if that’s how she wants to act.

Your husband divorced his ex-wife doesn’t mean his mom did. Just because you are the new wife doesn’t mean his family can’t have contact with her. I am still really good friends with my ex’s family even though he and I don’t talk. I talk to his mother about twice a week and I was even invited to his little brother’s baby shower. Stop acting so insecure and just love your husband and stop worrying about the exwife. It shouldn’t be a problem if you trust your husband.

Im w/ YOU on this one for sure!! VERY ignorant/rude/stupid etc for her to be displaying ANY pics of hubby w/ ex!! If anything should be u & he/or w/ ur baby!! But ya know some people are just incredibly IGNORANT DISRESPECTFUL & above ALL TOXIC! To me she sure fits this bill!! I also DONT get WHY hubby wasnt more mad either?? What gives? Other then him bn sick of & not wanting argue w/ her Idk but I sure WOULDNT go for that if my family tried pulling that bs w/ me n pitting up pics w my ex?! Helll NOOOO!! Were divorced for a reason so clearly COMMON SENSE TELLS U YA DONT do that!!:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Poor baby. Mother in law has a friend and you are jealous. Why are you so insecure and needy. No one can have a history if you are not involved. If your husband and his mom like her mind your own business. This site is great for a laugh for sure

7 Likes

She has no respect for you! Stay away and find a new sitter for your baby!!

1 Like

“ I like the picture you have of the witch on the table“

3 Likes

It’s rude of her but brush it off. Sometimes silence is the best answer

Maybe she is close to the ex or likes the picture…whatever her reasons for hanging it…ignore it. If she is trying to upset you and you react…she’s won.

No matter what the circumstances are, weather she’s close to her or not. That’s straight disrespectful. Don’t even bother trying to have a relationship with her since she’s a bitter ass. It’s not gonna stop

It amazes me with these comments. No she doesn’t have a say in what MIL does in her home but y’all are missing the biggest part of this picture… It is disrespectful as hell! They don’t share children so there is no reason for her to still be around! And if my DIL or SIL cheated on MY child, idk about y’all but why would I wanna still be close to that type of person?? :thinking: It’s DISRESPECTFUL. It has nothing to do with trying to control what happens in her house and EVERYTHING to do with not wanting the disrespect!! Y’all are nuts….

The picture is one of her and your husband’s ex. It could be that MIL really likes how she looked in her own costume. So just because the ex is in the picture, don’t read anything into it.

Maybe it’s to scare the roaches at night :ghost:

Is the mother and the ex wife still friends

If they don’t have children together and have No ties then you MIL is just plain spiteful and rude

It is her house. Not the best decision but it is her right. I maintain a relationship with my sons ex and her parents. You need to brush it off and try to establish a good relationship with mil. If you carry that chip around you will never be able to establish a good relationship.

Maybe she likes how she looks??