I feel like my mother-in-law tries to take over when she comes over: Advice?

I would consider it as a blessing. Being a mom with a new born is hard and tiring, sometimes stressful. Maybe you should consider it as help and enjoy it. Let her be grandma and do what shes supposed to do as a grandma. After all you get that mommy and baby time all day everyday. Let her enjoy the time she gets with the baby. Give yourself a break, let them bond. After all later in time you are going to want a complete day off to have a break and wanting to go somewhere like to a spa, or hang with some friends. It sounds to me your MIL would be with open arms to be there for you and baby to babysit. So she needs to earn babys trust and baby needs to know grandma so it would be an easy transition.

5 Likes

She is trying to help you get a break. If you don’t want her help let her know, sometimes a baby just wants his mama and she will have to understand that

1 Like

You’re going to be grateful later that she loves your son so much and wants to be there for him. However, I can also understand if you feel she’s crossing a boundary. From personal experience I can suggest you sit down with her and talk about it. I know my own mother was just so excited about my son she didn’t even realize she was being overly pushy until we talked. Grandma’s especially go a little crazy when it comes to grand babies.

5 Likes

I’d have a frank discussion with her. Let her know how you feel. She could be trying to help in an overbearing kind of way but if you are anxious because of it she’s not helping. Maybe ask her to do some things for you that you would find helpful instead. That way she would feel involved and you get the space you need to be a new mom.

1 Like

If she needed help im sure she would ask no one is entitled to youre baby besides you no one can give youre baby what it needs besides you i think you should speak up babys crying she or he probably wants there momma period its not like shes going to breastfeed youre baby and console ur baby like you can she can hold her when you allow but to just try n snatch id be like uhhh excuse me lmao

3 Likes

You need to talk to your mother in law and let her know how you feel and if she does not want to give you some consideration I would stay home with the baby.

Thats pretty damn normal for a grandmother to do! Not talking shit all but that’s what they do lol. After two kids myself… you can’t expect her to change that, that is her baby (grandchild) if you want a little more control while at their house then simply speak your mind to her just don’t mouth her. All my kids grandparents do that which I laugh at my mom for doing it but that’s just how it is. Be grateful that you have that kind of people in your kids life, a lot don’t have those amazing grandparents. My opinion at least :woman_shrugging:t2:
Be grateful you have a village

7 Likes

Maybe she thinks she is helping by giving you a break.

I think she’s just wanting to help and love her grandbaby. Everything feels different emotionally after having a baby. I took a lot of things the wrong way after my pregnancy and now I feel bad. Luckily I have an understanding family that I am so lucky to have.

2 Likes

She’s trying to give you a break and a moment to yourself !!! Let her baby will be ok

2 Likes

By fuck it would be the last ever time she would do that to me! Be different if she asked you first do you want or do you mind me taking him to try settle him for u. But going I’m grabbing nah!! No chance. X

3 Likes

Talk to her it’s not that hard. Tell her I want you to know it makes me uneasy when you jump to take care of the baby because I feel like you possibly think I don’t know what Im doing. Me personally, I’d take the break but I’m not a first time mom and I don’t get jealous over grandma doting over her grandbaby. We just had a new baby and his grandma loves to hold and care for him. I see it more as her trying to help a new mom.

Let her know how you feel when she does that. Just a conversation. Try not to get mad though. She just wants to hold her grandchild and for the baby to be comfortable with her she’s gonna have to soothe the baby. Her baby is all grown up now and it probably make her feel happy and warm inside to be able to have a connection with her grandchild. Speak when you feel uncomfortable and let her know how you feel. Theres a new life in your family and its gonna take sometime to adjust. But let me tell you in a couple of months you are gonna love when someone takes the baby for a short time :joy:

If you aren’t wanting your MIL to bond with the baby then why are you going to her house to begin with? Would you rather she sit in her own home and look at the baby from across the room? How often are you going over there? Maybe she is interpreting your visits to her house as asking for some help, you are the one putting yourself in this situation. If you don’t need her help, or you don’t want her to bong with her grandchild, then stay home.

1 Like

Take to her about it, it’s your baby not hers

Be grateful for what you have, not all kids get the opportunity to have grandparents that are present…while you may find it annoying she is helping. You will thank her one day.

2 Likes

Okay sorry no. “Be grateful”? Nope. If the baby is crying, and clearly isn’t being calmed down, and mom says give him back, the mil should. If you feel uncomfortable, talk to your SO and see what’s going on. Put boundaries.

1 Like

She may just be excited and not realize how overwhelming she is. You can talk to her but don’t attack. Tell her you appreciate the help but tell her how you feel. Grandparents that want to be involved are a great thing.

Do what you feel is right for you and your baby. No one else knows what your relationship is like with your in-laws and what boundaries you have with them.
To me it sounds like you want the relationship between your son and his grandparents, but feel like the MIL is undermining you. She may not even realise she is making you feel this way.
Have a talk to her next time it happens, and just be honest how you feel about it. If you don’t tell her, things won’t change.
Setting boundaries is a good thing with anyone. It doesn’t mean you don’t want them in the picture, it just says that these are the rules and you are making you, hubby and baby the priority :blush:

Wow, I’d give anything to have a mother-in-law so eager to love my kids Iike that and give me a break.

2 Likes

She only trying you help out maybe give you some good advise. Remember she older and just maybe loves you both so much that she can’t help giving you a little advise. Love her while she is here one day you will be wanting to ask her and she want be there

I feel like she loves your baby and just wants to take care of him

1 Like

She’s trying to help you.

1 Like

Idk your relationship with her but she sounds like a loving and caring person who just wants to help and spend time with her grandchild. And since you visit her, and the woman has limited time to spend with the baby why don’t you take the chance to relax and let her help you? Or you can just talk to her about how you feel.

Let her enjoy, see it as a positive in ya’ll life.

Be thankful you even have a family that cares enough to be apart of your life.