I feel more anxious the older I get, any advice on how to combat it

I’m looking for some advice on how to deal with my anxiety. I didn’t really suffer with it when I was younger but I’m beginning to recognise in myself the older I get the more anxious I’m becoming. Does anyone else feel this way? I hate the thought of any conflict or anyone having an issue with me. To the point where I now edit myself when I’m in various social situations. I agree with people when i truly have a different opinion. When i make a mistake, as we all do, instead of brushing it off it stays with me and i cant switch off. I relive the incident over and over again. it affects my mood, my sleep, I cry, I spiral into a dark place. And really its over nothing much but it affects me so much more now. I tell myself to stop being silly and get over it but I cant seem to shake it. I’m so much more sensitive and over think things now opposed to when I was younger. Any one else experienced this and have ways to over come it.

I thnk you have to re assess yourself then be aware of the things that makes you happy, sad, angry etc. rather than just agreeing with people to avoid conflict. You have to love yourself. Without you loving yourself, it will just create more chaos in your mind that you might think of needing the validation from others wherein you yourself can do it on your own. Try meditation or praying, you can exercise to start your day. Journaling maybe. Also, I read about this silly thing of writing down the people that matters to me and whenever somebody tries to ruin my mood, I’ll just say “well you’re not on my list bye” :wink: good luck to you I hope you’ll figure this soon

1 Like

I was so busy with my job and my kids when I was younger that any stress and anxiety I felt was easily written off. As I got older and the outside demands on my time and energy lessened, I was able to notice how the anxiety and panic and obsessiveness didn’t, and in some cases, increased because I didn’t have that distraction. It took some trial and error and working with a really good counselor, but in my case we nailed it down as an atypical presentation of OCD and medication loosened the tendrils forming a death grip on my life. My suggestions would be, in order - talk with your primary care to see if there is something in bloodwork which would point to a reason (like Vitamin D deficiency or something readily treated), and if that doesn’t resolve it, find a counselor you like, respect, and work well with. Even if it’s not something which needs to be medicated (it may or may not be - medication is okay, talk therapy is okay, whatever works) having an outside perspective and the knowledge of tools available can be of great help.

1 Like