I got my mini van back from an oil change with scratches down the side

My husband took our brand new minivan to get an oil change and rotation today. Came home with scratches all down the side. I contact them and they send back awful pictures saying they were already there. NO walk through was done, if it was there, why was my husband not told when the work was being done? I’m SO mad. Apparently the manager won’t be in until Monday, I left him a message and email.

149 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I got my mini van back from an oil change with scratches down the side - Mamas Uncut

Unless you can prove they weren’t there beforehand, you’ll probably have a hard time getting anything from them.

7 Likes

Do you have photos of the car before you took it in close to the date it was at the mechanics.

I always take photos of my car before it goes to the mechanics or gets loaned to people.

5 Likes

A good tech would have noted that on the checklist, you’ll likely get something after you speak with a manager/owner

It should be covered under warranty. Go get it fixed.

I’m confused? You wanted them to tell your husband about scratches if they were already there?

9 Likes

this happened to my brother at the dealership. he really made a big deal over it and finally the mechanic admited he did it and they paid for the damage.

8 Likes

I’m wondering if they take pictures of everyone’s cars that have scratches ? I find that odd that they would take pictures of your car, and what’s to say they didn’t scratch it and take pictures then send those to you, that doesn’t prove anything ?

4 Likes

My car has paint transfer from being hit in a parking lot and it’s on every single I take checklist when I get an oil change - that way they know it didn’t happen there while it was being worked on

Always take your own pictures make sure dates and times are on them so you have proof and never sign anything unless you read it all

They don’t tell you the appearance of your own vehicle. :roll_eyes::rofl:

4 Likes

They should have cameras with video. Ask to see the footage of the time your van was there.

1 Like

Oh, boy. That’s not good. I’ll never understand why places can’t take ordinary care with people’s property. You would think sometimes they do things like that themselves on purpose because they are unhappy that someone else has a new vehicle. I don’t understand it. All you can do is contact the manager, make your complaint, and hope he or she does some investigation. Otherwise I hope your insurance covers vandalism. What an awful thing to happen.

1 Like

That’s a toxic thing to do. I would run from that oil changing place. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I had that experience before. Nothing was done by the garage owner. We paid for the repair work. Now I take pic of my car every time I get any thing done. I show the shop an they write it down. Best way to save problem’s.

1 Like

So there are cameras all over. There are multiple managers if it’s a big outfit reach out to corporate. Ask to see the videos of when u dropped it off vs picked it up

1 Like

If.you have any pictures of the van before you took it in to prove they weren’t there do that.

1 Like

Teach yourself to change oil, start an express oil change business and take away all of their business!

8 Likes

Ok if it a brand new van why did it need all that done?

5 Likes

Well generally when u take a car in for service they do not note or write down the cosmetics of the vehicle, let alone call you to remind you there are scratches. This question makes no sense. If you have proof it wasnt scratched before hand then u can sue them

10 Likes

Don’t wait till Monday. They have cameras. The film can be recorded over by Monday

2 Likes

I got my vehicle back after getting my shocks and calipers replaced and they’d broken a hub cap and didn’t replace it, left it in my van. I called and they tried to tell me it was already broken but I know it wasn’t. I spoke with a manager and they finally agreed to replace them all since they weren’t able to find an identical replacement.

My mom had bad scratches on her car after service. She kept on them about it and they had it fixed.

Contact your insurance company and pay the deductible to have it fixed. You would either have to prove it happened there and not before or have a manager who is nice and will help you out. Is it possible it was hit somewhere and you just didn’t realize it?

1 Like

Why would they notify you that your car has scratches? That’s a weird expectation. Just hope they have cameras

5 Likes

The fact that they have pictures in no way proves when the scratches happened.

3 Likes

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 16943 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. M0re Info. https://jobsgalexy533.netlify.app/

Why did they take pictures?? Sounds fishy to me.

5 Likes

Congratulations? I can’t stand women who will moan and complain about a car, yet refuse to be proactive in their maintenance. I absolutely believe you shouldn’t be able to have a license unless you can pump your own gas, fix a flat and check (and respond) your oil. You’re asking to be taken advantage of and hubby isn’t helping. I can build a car, ground up. My husband refers to me for automotive maintenance and problem solving. Everyone, not just women, should be far more proactive in automotive issues if they own or drive a vehicle.
BTW, you may want to do some homework before you go in to have those scratches touched up.

7 Likes

This also happened to me today getting my tire changed and I get my car back with a huge scratch on the back driver side door. I’m so pissed. Place gave me the run around and I know 1000000% that scratch wasn’t there when I dropped the car off. Now I know to take pictures and videos before bringing my car to any shop for any type of service.

2 Likes

why would they do a walk through for an oil change and tire rotation? lmfao even if they did it’s not their job to tell the owner they have scratches on their car. Tire rotation and oil change have nothing to do with the side of the car lol

3 Likes

Unfortunately unless you have proof it happened there nothing much will be done. 

6 Likes

Jiffy lube didn’t replace oil during paid oil change in my daughters blazer or filter
Her engine seized on pky
They said
Oops sorry but that’s not our filter
Cost me thousands
New motor

2 Likes

It could have happened anywhere and you just now noticed it :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Like most people who get a new car lot of pictures are taken they are dated and time stamped. I’d contact the company that did you oil change or the dealer with your complaint and evidence

4 Likes

Husband did it and took it to get an oil change to be able to have someone else to pin it on :female_detective: lol jk but also not completely impossible either :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

They need to return as was given to them simpme

1 Like

Check their reviews for others it happened to and also, make a review for Future businesses and maybe even contact the better business bureau

1 Like

Oh no go make a police report asap don’t wait til Monday bc there may be a certain timeframe u have to report it!

4 Likes

That’s why I don’t drop my car off. I sit in my car during my oil change. And I won’t let them sell me everything they try to upsell while I’m there!

If you have already gotten pictures from them showing there are scratches, they noticed it too and are covering themselves from liability. You are probably jipped on this one …

1 Like

Get a real man to change your oil :joy: JK, but its a lot cheaper to do it yourself

2 Likes

That manager also has a manager.

1 Like

Get someone else to go in ask if they have cameras something was stolen etc. If they do then u can get them

1 Like

Mechanics or service writers usually do a walk around of the car and note any damage, then the customer signs off on it prior to any work being done. If your husband signed off on that then it’s gonna be pretty hard to prove the damage was done at the shop.

Are you 100% sure someone else didn’t do this while it was in your driveway or parked at a store or somewhere else right before? Did you actually look at that side before taking it in? How can you yourself be sure it wasn’t there already? Someone could have easily did this while one of you were out in the vehicle and you didn’t notice it. I’m not saying it didn’t happen there, it could have… but unless you can prove it didn’t happen somewhere else and you have proof of that from dated pictures or videos that clearly show a time/date stamp then it’s basically your word against theirs.

4 Likes

Go get a body shop quote for repairs (do not leave your vehicle at the shop until they agree to pay) Call the shop you got your oil changed and ask for the owner since the manager won’t be in until Monday; if no owner google their corporate number. Those shops have cameras and it will be easy to get taken care of.

1 Like

We took our vehicle once and the same thing happened after an oil change my hubby went back and my hubby determined it was the mechanic with his belt buckle that caused the scratches.

1 Like

A lot of those places hire young kids to do the work. Not surprising. I once got my oil changed and they didn’t replace the oil cap. My car kept overheating and stalling. We broke down on the side of the road, only to find out it was the oil cap. :woman_facepalming:t3:

Take pictures of everything document screen shot your phone calls and keep those emails :confused:

1 Like

My brother or sons do my oil change.

1 Like

Why are you asking this in a moms group?
Who approves these posts Mamas Uncut? Someone is really dropping the ball here…

11 Likes

Absolutely just make them check the cameras regardless, and if for some reason they didn’t do it, I’d start looking at hubby next :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Go file a police report and turn that in when you file with the manager. If the manager won’t help you, file with the district office.

1 Like

Call your insurance they will investigate it

Ask to see their cameras.

2 Likes

Do brand new cars need an oil change?

1 Like

Why are you getting an oil change on a brand new vehicle?

1 Like

If it was already there why would they tell you husband? They’d assume he knew. Being as how he owns it n all

2 Likes

Why is everyone surprised she got an oil change …?
Yes the vehicle is new …but she s still driving it …meaning it will need an oil change.
Mine.is every 5000 miles…
Sorry this happened .

2 Likes

Just call the cops and they’ll make them pull the CCTV footage if they have it. Done deal. And this is why I always take pics of new vehicles. Not to show off to others but in case this kind of stuff happens.

They are suppose to tell u before they work on it and u have to sign the paper. So If that wasn’t done then I’m sure something can be done

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 16249 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. ===> https://statuesque-raindrop-25419d.netlify.app/