I have anxiety about leaving the house with my kids: Advice>?

Hey mommas, I have 3 babies.; 6,3, and 3 months. Lately I’ve been having this anxiety feeling everytime i need to leave my house with all three of them. With the world we live in today it terrifies me to go out in public with them by my self. To the point where we stay home for a week at a time. Sometimes these thoughts keep me up at night. Do any of you experience this too? How do you cope with it? I wasnt to be able to goop to three grocery store with out having to worry about every person that turns the corner.

35 Likes

You should speak to your doctor about ppd

2 Likes

I’m the same and i have a 3 year old and currently pregnant…

do you have friends you can go to the store with perhaps family? its hard to trust in this crappy world…

1 Like

call a friend or a relative to go with you and the kids.

1 Like

You need to talk with a therapist.

2 Likes

Somethings triggering them feelings you need to speak to someone to get to the bottom of it

1 Like

Is it truly a fear of going out in public, or having no control over your kids while in public places & you need help with them?
Try having someone watch your kids while you shop alone…see if you have the same “fear”…

1 Like

It sounds like some kind of anxiety… look into treatments and try to organize your life so maybe you can plan to have company for these trips

1 Like

Darling my son’s are 30 n 26 n I still awake with a sense of dread n sweats , it’s alot to worry for the world we are living in…but try small steps , a walk around the neighborhood , then maybe to a park or something small , is no shame in keeping ur little ones indoors when it’s getting cooler especially the baby , have you spoken to your family , and Dr as well to make sure that you are not feeling post partum blues …be safe mama and good luck

I feel that way too… Its horrible… When i use to get hit on, i would flirt back, or just ignore it… Now i run like a scared puppy with my baby… 1 time i literally jumped in the car and locked the doors, the man kept talking but i ignored him… I think its a good thing… The world is a scary place…

I had this same issue when my twins were first born, they are 8 now and I tried anxiety meds and I didn’t like the way they made me feel then I started smoking pot and I can function and sleep without the overwhelming feeling of something going to go wrong at every minute of the day! Hope this helps

Put your baby in a carrier and strap the baby to you. Get a backpack harness/leash/wrist bands for your 3 yr old. Put your 6 yr old in the car first then the 3 yr old then the 3 month old.
Don’t put the cart back. Leave it by your car. I sometimes ask people to take it back. I never leave my kids in the car.
This struggle is real. Its also very important. There are bad people out there.
Its not just anxiety…could be though
I have 3 kids the same age to think about. I always make sure they are strapped to me or strapped in their seats before my groceries go in the car.
Kids go missing all the time.

My kids aré teens and preteens and I have the same anxiety, it’s part of being a mother BUT if you see it starts interfering with daily activities which sounds like it is then maybe it’s time to seek professional help. Don’t be afraid to ask for help!

I think its bc of all the sex trafficking and kidnapping going she feels like this not bc of post pardum. It is scary to think about having to take your babies out alone by yourself knowing what this world is coming to.
It would help if you had someone accompany you when you need to go somewhere…plus, it does make it a lot easier to get things done and watch your kids at the same time. Ask your mom or a friend and schedule a time when yall can go to this or that together. You’ll always have to be protective over your kids at all times bc you really do never know what can happen. You can’t live in fear all the time, but you should never let your guard down either. Carry pepper spray or something. Put ur kids in the car first, then your stuff, and lock the doors. Park as close to the front entrance as possible even if you have to wait for a spot.Ask for help at the grocery store when checking out so a bagger can go with you to load your groceries… Etc

2 Likes

This world is a scary place, I don’t blame you. I used to take all 6 (@that time, there’s 4 more now, lol) grandchildren out shopping, Easter bunny & Santa trips to the mall. I would never do that now alone.
Get some pepper spray or mace. You can get them on key chains now. It will help you feel you have a tool to defend yourself. Which will help, because your not defenseless. Go out as early as you can, less people about. Or skip it, go at night alone, leave kids with dad. And see your doctor. There are meds to help, but you have to ask. Good luck sweetheart! !

Its a scary world out there but can’t keep them lock inside. Just always keep them by you, have another adult with you (if you can), be aware of your surroundings. Carry a weapon.
There is nothing wrong with feeling that way and you don’t need meds or a therapist or to talk to a doctor likes others have said. smh. I feel like in today’s world its normal to feel that way.

Hi mama, I see you just had a child 3 months ago… you very well may have the baby blues. Your hormone levels fluctuating will make you feel anxious, sad, unfocused, etc.
I felt this a bit after having my daughter, and sometimes I just couldn’t get out of the house because I was just overwhelmed and seemed like my mind was thinking 1000 thoughts a minute. Stay close to positive female friends and family and don’t hesitate to ask for help from people you trust. I also pray often and ask God to remove doubt and worry from my mind. You are supposed to enjoy your family and not be scared to go out with them. I completely understand your anxiety, it’s a scary world out there and it’s hard hearing the horrible things in the news. Your best bet is to only go out early in the day and always bring another trusting adult with you when you can

Honestly, going shopping with 3 kids that age will give anyone anxiety! Lol I used to leave them with Dad to shop and run errands or get a babysitter.

1 Like

It is a scary world out there but thousands of Moms take their kids out all of the time … me included. I think you should see a therapist to help you with your anxiety. It must feel really awful to be that anxious about this all of the time

I never worried or had anxiety over going out with kids (3 kids, 5 and under). always had the oldest one help with groceries, while the other 2 sat in another cart. Holding hands when walking (to and from stores). Relax and stop worrying yourself into an early grave. Have fun and be aware of your surroundings, but stop over reacting. You’ll find your worries are unfounded once you get out. Stop watching the news, the point is to make you scared to go outside. Outside is great, for you and the kids…we all need sunlight (vitamin D and lessen’s depression). :slight_smile:

Im always like that about people. I don’t go anywhere by myself. Either a person or my fog goes with me. If I can’t do that then I carry. The outside is a scary place but you also don’t wanna be a hermit. It’s no fun stuck here all the time

When I had my last child, I had PPD, but they should have called it post partum anxiety. Please talk to your OB. They can help regulate your hormones and help you get some counseling for the anxiety. Hiding in the house all week is no life, for you or the kids. Reclaim yourself and your life momma!

You need to speak with your primary care physician. It sounds as though you’re experiencing post partum anxiety.
Most of the time awareness is thrown to post partum depression…but post partum anxiety exists.
And like ppd, left untreated it can become chronic and severe enough to lead to psychosis and/or paranoia.
Between now and then
Practice grounding exercises and use logic to combat the anxiety.
I don’t know your specific fears but mine revolved around driving. Ultimately i knew the fear was because i have no control over other drivers. So i used logic. To start with the chances of something happening are slim. The chances of a major accident between my home and the store were even slimmer. Second…im a good driver and take proper precautions while driving but also before leaving.

6 Likes

The struggle is real…

I got a concealed carry permit :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

First I want to say I am sorry your having such bad anxiety over it all and 2nd I would definitely reach out to a doctor or therapist so that you can speak to someone who is unbiased. The world we live in is a very scary place and I worry when I take my son out especially now as a single parent it scares me but I can’t allow my anxiety to ruin my sons chances at a experiencing life. It takes lot to over come things and talking about your feelings and fears will really help you.

3 Likes

I do I have a 6yr old 5yr old and 2 yr old I have a concealed carry permit and I carry mase with me I watch my surroundings and never leave my boys unattended for a second my anxiety increased though when my rapist came back into town sometimes I wait till my husband is home for me to leave so I’m alone and dont have to worry about my babies being with me but it’s not always an option I just always make sure I am aware of who and what is around me I took classes and I was in therapy for it at one point to help… just always be aware of your surroundings that seems to really help me

2 Likes

I have 9 kids, i get the 3 child cart at walmart or stick 1 in the cart and 1 in the seat part. My 13yr old is my tail end and makes sure every1 stays right behind me while shopping.

I live in Alabama. Where lately, woman, young girls, & babies are being taken. Which gives me a right to feel the most anxiety when I am out. Even alone. I carry. Because if it’s between me & someone else? My life & my family’s life is more important. If you don’t feel safe, trust it & don’t go. Or don’t go alone.

I’m thinking you need to see a dr about your anxiety and maybe do some therapy. My daughter went through a phase after her house fire, therapy works! Her anxiety effected her baby’s habits.

Teach the six yr old kid, how to help with buckling up and watching surrounding while you get the little two in. I use to put my kids in, shut and lock the doors than buckle them while in the inside. Keep mase or something until you feel comfortable to get your conceal carry. Always let SO or a family friend know your going out. Have a list made before you go out. Talk to a doctor about anxiety, so maybe they can refer you to a counselor.

First and for most thank you for your strength in sharing this with us . I been there my self years ago so the struggle is real . What helped me I would have somebody go with me in beginning . I would go to familier places where I m confident with parking and park close to entrance. It will not be easy and you will feel exhausted once you get home but eventually it will get easier . Just know you are not alone in this felling we all felt it at some point and just like all struggles we had to work tru. I gun never made me feel safer . But what ever works for you is what you need to do . I really wish you all the best

Make sure all kids are secured to you at all times when you go to the store. Or ask a family member to join and help you or ask them to watch one, two or all while you go shopping.
Find a parents/tots group to find other mothers like you.
They can all definitely help you get through this.

I wish I had the option of concealed carry in my country…

I think this is normal for alot of moms. I find myself thinking the same. But at the same time. I have to go on with life. Grocery shopping. Dr appoinments. School meetings. Just teach ur kids about strangers. And keep the kiddies close to you.

1 Like

Sounds like PPA. I used to cry at the thought of leaving the house. Driving would terrify me and I’d have visions of us being in accidents and all kinds of stuff. I got medication and it helped tremendously. You’re not alone.

I’m in the process of getting my conceal and carry for this exact reason… I also carry mase

PPA. They have all kinds of chemical and behavioral treatments that will help. Speak to your doctor.

Do you have a friend or neighbor that could give you a break now and then, so they don’t all have to go ,maybe trade out babysitting.

Sounds like PPA go and talk to your doctor I went through this as well and it’s awful. You can get medication that will really help you and therapy to get through this.

1 Like

I have 3 kids of my own. I feel the same way but maybe not to that extent. I just bite down and bear it. If I need to go to the store then we just gotta to. My 2 older ones hold the cart while my 1 year old sits in the cart. They are in my sights at all times.

You have to keep going outside the more often you can. Don’t let grow this anxiety. I suffer agoraphobia for more than half of my life. Exposition is the best thing to do.

Concealed carry permit, pepper spray, as well as a self defense class to teach you to protect yourself and babies against any potential threat. Always, always watch your surroundings. I have a 1 year old and refuse to go anywhere without pepper spray or my husband. I will not be a victim and neither will my baby :clap::clap:

It sounds like you are suffering with some postpartum depression if these intrusive thoughts are keeping you up at night. I would get a referral to a psychologist.

Just remember the world hasn’t changed just evryone knows about it cause of social media

1 Like

Talk to your doctor about post partum anxiety

1 Like

I understand your concern and unfortunately the people out there cant be trusted. Too many stealing kiddos and adults.
Do you have an adult friend that can go with you to stores?

1 Like

The the older kids in self defense courses. Great ages to start. Also teach them all about stranger danger and what to do. If your you educate your kids better on what to do, it will ease your mind some

When mine were younger I was this way. It may be to do with ppd anxiety. It seems to be mostly gone now that they’re older.

I am the same way. Yesterday was the very first time my baby when to a restaurant and the very first time he was placed in a shopping cart. The other day was the first time he rode in a car since Aug 30th. He will be 10 months on the 4th. He has only left the house about 5 times in his little life. I have EXTREME anxiety!!! To the point my head swims and I feel like I’m going to pass out. I’m trying tiny steps at a time. I’ve also developed extreme ocd of germs :frowning: yesterday was overwhelming for me but I pushed myself anyway.

I am also had a baby 3 months ago.

I have anxiety about going to the grocery store where I know I can’t fully have my attention on all 4 of my kids.
Even though I haven’t had a total disaster with one crying another walking too far from the cart etc

Idk what it is :woman_shrugging:

I try to go now when the older 2 are at school. That helps a ton.

I also have 3 kids and honestly going out with all 3 is a shit show. but I can tell you it gets easier as they get older.

I have the same fear. It’s my biggest fear. I’m ok most of the time bc I only have one right now ( will be changing in 5 months) after my son I will probably do the Walmart grocery pick up. And if I need to go out I will most likely do it on the weekends when I can leave the kids with my husband. But your not alone!

I do the grocery pick up so I don’t have to go into the store and when we do go into a store I make sure my kids are in the cart or holding onto the cart right next to me. If I’m going shopping at a mall I always make sure I have another person with me. I’m trying not to make my kids terrified of the world, but I also let them know that they have to stay safe and be aware.

u av every rite to feel fear becos of dis sick people in our country dnt let dis fear rob u n ur kids joys of going out go for prayer only god can give u peace

I make my trips as fast as possible. I absolutely HATE going anywhere, with or without my kids

Do grocery pick up! That’s what I do so I don’t actually have to be alone in grocery stores

1 Like

Girl…I feel u…I have a 16 year old, a 5 year old, 2 year old & 4 month old… it’s a legit fear going places cuz of all the craziness in the world today… I just pray over us when we go out… I pray God’s protection on us & the store we r going in to

Therapy… I have 4 kids from infant to 9 and I take them out by myself all the time. I watch them carefully and teach them safety.

1 Like

Im a new first time mom, 6 months pp and i have a very difficult time with anxiety and leaving the house as well.
I couldn’t imagine it with 3!
Im personally looking i to self defence and working on my confidence.
Im hoping if i can feel prepared and educated on different kind of situations ill be able to handle anything that happens appropriately.
I also try to have a friend or my husband go with me when i need to go out.
Hang in there momma.

Have a shopping mate accompany you to the store with your kids. Ask anyone else to help you get out of the house. I was approached by a couple of teenagers who stood at my car and looked like they were going to car jack my car luckily for me I had my phone with me and as soon as I grabbed my phone they left. I reported to police but I jumped onto the local bus so I felt safe when travelling to the shops. It took me a couple of days to drive my car again especially to the shops. I don’t blame you though but also don’t watch the news and play music to help you. It’s crazy outside the walls of your house and you feel safe but try to conquer that fear. Walk to local shops with a friend or family member to help you out.

You are doing a great job being a mum and I have 3 boys they have grown up now but it’s hard work being a mum and I fully understand how you feel as I have been there and going to the shops with them and my oldest would take off and go to the shop he liked and I use to growl him when we found him. I use to make him hold onto the shopping trolley with his hand and he was not to run off.

Where do you ladies live that has you so fearful of the world ? I live I British Columbia, Canada & iv’e never felt afraid to to grocery shopping . Or to our malls for that Matter .
I’m sorry you live in fearful places . Good luck .

It’s terrifying! Two random guys showed up at my house saying the house was up for rent. Called my landlord and she took down all the ads when we signed the lease. We bought a shot gun the next day. You never know with this world we’re living in, but I take it one day at a time.

1 Like

Yeap, I’m the same way.

Best advice I could ever give another Mother is this. Get your conceal carry license!

I carry pepper spray & also the newer iphones if you press the side button three times real quickly it will call 911 for you