I have anxiety since COVID started: Advice?

Hello. I’ve recently been experiencing anxiety. Ever since, all this Covid-19 situation started. I am 31 yrs old and a stay at home mom with three kids. There have been days where I feel so nervous or worried. My heart beats fast, and I feel tightness in the chest or shortness of breath. Some nights I drink calming teas to be able to sleep. I’ve been trying to avoid medication, and today I went to my dr, and she did prescribe medication Paxil 10 mg. She did an EKG to check my heart, and it was normal. I also had blood work last month, and it was all normal too. My question is anyone else that is going through this or has gone through it? Is there something that helps anything natural, or do I have to start medication now? I just don’t want to be on medication and depend on that. It’s my first time experiencing this, and it sucks. Anyone that has experienced this, please let me know your opinion or what has helped. Thank you.

18 Likes

st John’s wort helped me with my anxiety

You are now being healed from that disease in Jesus name Amene

Anytime I experience anxiety, I get busy with chores and cooking and baking. First, u get in touch with my spiritual self, and say a prayer, and turn it over to God. Then I focus on the things I can control that need my attention, like my household responsibilities and my grandkids.

1 Like

The best thing to avoid medication is therapy. Try and find a therapist that specializes in anxiety. I suffer from anxiety and it gets very bad. I start to not feel well and then think something bad is going to happen to me. It’s all about the negative thoughts and learning to work through it. Tried medication in the past but it doesn’t actually fix the problem. Best of luck

1 Like

My sons temporarily took Paxil and then when they felt stronger they stopped. They learned to try to relax and refocus your mind. But when constant anxiety is present that wasn’t enough and needed Paxil.

Please research paxil before starting it. It has some very strange effects on people.

1 Like

HTC oil has been my secret for 9years.
After giving birth to my daughter at a very young age.

I just put it out of my mind!!! I keep my self busy!!!

Ashwagandha. You can find it by the vitamins. I have anxiety all the time.

1 Like

My daughter takes Calm its a powder form.of magnesium she says it helps her!

When you start to feel anxious you need to “ground yourself” find one thing you can touch, one you can taste, and one you can smell.

1 Like

My anxiety has gotten worse as well. Mostly because I could barely handle society before and don’t know how I will manage when we start getting out a bit more. I have just tried to focus on my health.
I hope Paxil isn’t as bad for you as it was for me!

Have taken meds in the past for anxiety and depression. The best thing I’ve found is exercise and music. Better than any medication or therapy for me personally. My anxiety is situational. Sounds like yours is as well. Sometimes writing down your thoughts helps. Worst case scenario and fears and determine what’s rational and what’s not. My daughter takes an antidepressant for anxiety and it has really helped her. I manage my anxiety now by planning my days so I know what’s going down. Last minute changes throw me off a little bit still but I’m a work in progress. Hang in there and know that it won’t last forever, the Paxil will start helping in a week to 2 weeks. You are doing one of the world’s hardest jobs in my opinion. Cut yourself some slack.

Also, the side effects will taper off after 5 to 7 days.

Honestly I had severe anxiety returning back to work 2 months ago. I’m already on anti anxiety meds which didnt seem to be doing its job. I had to just come to the realization my life is in God’s hands if I’m meant to get this covid crap it’s in the cards there’s nothing I can do about besides taking vitamin c and d to boost my immune system and wash my hands constantly. I’m not religious but I just had to accept that I may get it or may not it’s not really under my control.

There’s therapy. I find exercise does wonders for me. You could also try doing things that keep your hands busy. Such as cleaning, baking, ect… Something that refocuses your mind on something else.
Cannabis can also help to. If that’s an option for you. I know people have mixed feelings on it, but it might be worth looking into and talking to your doc. About.

Cbd vape with very low dose of thc helps me.

Paxil 10mg is not bad. I think it’s a low dose and it may help. It’s not habbit forming either so dont think you are a bad person if you take medication. Everyone needs a little help at some point in their life… somehow. I’ve been dealing with major anxiety since so I can relate. Hugs.

Don’t take Paxil that medication has bad side effects marijuana is better and you can get a prescription for depending on where you live

1 Like

did u ever heard the old saying , cowards die before there real death?

Calming teas and anxiety guided meditations do research on medicine and go to another doctor if all your tests were normal giving out Paul is not what in my opinion you should be taking. I have loved with bi polar disorder for more than 50 years and have been through everyone of the anti depression meds out there.

Breathing exercises, meditation, naming things you’re grateful for.

3 Likes

When this covid news hit our shores boi I was so panicky and I used to have sleepless nights. Sometimes I get so anxious that I used to cry and I felt like I was going mad in the house. Then one day I talk to my aunt and she advice me to stop taking in all this covid news that is on TV and social media and just keep updates of what is going on one or two times a day. She also said to find things to do to occupy your selves and pray a lot and I did that and now I feel much better although I still find it hard to leave the house to go get my essential stuff done

1 Like

My step father took Paxil and it really changed his moods and behaviors in a positive way. It was a miracle medication for him.

1 Like

I was prescribed the same thing! Just be careful because it gave me awful side affects! Its a very stressful time and it’s been a stressful year!

I have anxiety outside of COVID but this has definitely made it worse. So I don’t take meds now as I’m pregnant with our second, but here are some things that have been helpful for me to lowering my anxiety: calming teas, essential oils, drink more water and eliminate a lot of sugars or caffeine or junk food, eat cleaner and healthy, exercise every day even if it’s just a walk (this has probably been the best one alone for me), I do some meditation or mindfulness exercises, therapy helps at times (telehealth right now), also make some time for a new hobby- maybe something you’ve wanted to do but haven’t had time to do or whatever. But keeping the mind busy is the best thing to eliminate anxiety. Set small Easy goals for yourself like wash the dishes and do a load of laundry, so when you do that you feel you’ve accomplished something. Check in with yourself every once and awhile and take some deep breaths. Hope this is helpful!!

I had the same anxiety, I felt afraid to even go outside when there were a bundle of people around but using proper cautions you’ll be fine.
Anytime someone comes in my home I have them Lysol their shoes lightly spray down their clothes, hair goes in a shower cap wash their hands and a mask. Unless said person lives here then they go to the laundry room, strip down to their underwear, head to the shower while I spray shoes with Lysol and anything they’ve touched coming into the house.

1 Like

Strap in take your CBDS and drink your wine. We in this together! Not one mother in this world is chill right now.

1 Like

It’s normal mate, I strongly suggest turning off the news don’t watch anything covid related, cause it’s sub conscious the anxiety it causes. Try and eat things like turkey or any foods containing tryptophan, it’s a feel good chemical and vitamin c helps boost moods, just google the feel good foods and try incorporate them, get your diet right and you will feel so much more in control of everything else. With kids locked up inside we forget to nourish ourselves. It’s all about them. :heart:

Read the Bible every morning and you will start feeling better.Cause if all those people that succeeded when there was no car, no ambulance or hospital or help what more can you ask for.All they did was read the Bible day by day k owing that God will Never Abandon You Mija.Keep praying and have FAITH.After you have read what the people went through,you will realize you have been blessed.You will understand life and succeed.Ihad 5 but I learned how important I am to God also.Be Strong cause can you imagine how hard it was for them with 10 or 12 children.God is with all of us.Patience Love ,Faith!

1 Like

Meditate on this word
I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength and I will be still and know that you are God all the best even this too shall pass stay blessed

2 Likes

I agree that watching the news and social media can really increase your anxiety. Try doing some physical activity. Hope you feel better.

1 Like

I just want to say that when I was younger my therapist prescribed me paxil. What we didn’t know at the time was one of the side effects was it amplified suicidal tendencies. If you start to feel more depressed or more anxious, go back to your doctor to discuss other medication options. I know you don’t really want to be medicated, but when you find the right medication, it really helps.

1 Like

I work in a pharmacy & lots of people are having anxiety issues requiring meds. Paxil helps with anxiety attacks & 10 mg is a small dose. I wouldn’t look at taking some meds as a bad thing. I think it’s better than resorting to alcohol, etc. Also learn self-soothing (deep-breathing, meditation, etc).

1 Like

You don’t always have to resort to medication, learn breathing techniques…

you need to trust in the good Lord as he is our help in times of.trouble. Also this whole covis is huge SCAM to make humans afraid

Smoke a joint! It will make you feel better in no time :slight_smile:

Start the meds honey.They will help.You can always go off them later.But right now you need to take care of you,so you can take care of your kids.

There is nothing wrong with taking medicine. Just watch out for suicidal ideation and make sure you have people you can talk to. Counseling helps too. But even just a friend you can talk to can be a huge help emotionally.

Try taking vitamins. Get up early and go out for a walk that has really helped me.

1 Like

I started having anxiety/depression and went back on Zoloft. I personally suffered from severe PPD after my first and stayed on through my second and don’t regret going back on now. With my first I did it because I wasn’t being the best mother I could be without it :woman_shrugging:t3: I had a couple friends who I encouraged to talk to their doctors because I saw similar signs in them and one admitted that she wished she had listened to me sooner because of the complete 180 she made after starting.

Yes. I am having a really hard time. I fear leaving my house.

Be careful with pills everyone gets anxiety especially during these times. Give yourself a pat on the back for keeping you and your kids safe it will pass look to your faith it does wonders

I have anxiety and when I feel an attack I use different breathing methods or focus on things with my senses touch and smell seem to work the best for me. I have been on meds and honestly it’s not a life I like either. Also exercising has done wonders for me. I do yoga mixed with Pilates and it has changed things dramatically for my life.

Kava root tea is a big help. Natural way. Walking,
Magnesium and b12 vitamins. Get your hormones lab tested.
Good luck.

Exercise! Seriously, it’s a cure all.

2 Likes

Make sure you’re taking your pills on time every day, sleeping enough, drinking enough water, and getting outside! I’ve dealt with anxiety and depression most of my life, and the days/weeks I remember to do these are the better days!

1 Like

Magnesium is extremely helpful for anxiety. I notice if I’m nearing a panic attack, taking 300mg of Magnesium Glycinate is extremely helpful. I’m not a medical professional, and please ask your doctor before trying.

2 Likes

Staying off social media and the internet will help. Try not to feed the fear by inundating yourself with info on covid. I felt very stressed when this started and was having trouble sleeping and nightmares and I stopped consuming all the info and it helped drastically. It helps to remember kids aren’t as effected as older people and immunocompromised individuals. If you do end up taking meds though and it helps that’s ok. And it likely won’t be a forever thing.

6 Likes

Docs have noted an increase in anxiety in patients… plz try n keep calm dear maybe some chamomile tea in the evenings… dont stress whatever is meant to happen will happen just take ur necessary precautions n u will b ok… trust that evrything will b ok and it will… try n keep a positive mindset…

You are not alone I’ve also been experiencing anxiety since this situation and having the same heart beating fast with tightness in my chest and my sleeping forget about it, I’ve been really Paranoid when having to go out for Essential items like I just wanna feel like my self agin​:confounded::confounded: I wanna go the doctor and get my heart checked out but aging I’ve been so paranoid and don’t wanna go no where near a hospital or Clinic!! I just don’t know praying has been getting me Through this along with Staying healthy…

I look at it like this when its ur time to go ur going to go rather its covid-19 or slip n fall only the Good Lord knows that and it stopped my anxiety God’s got my back

I have anxiety all the time. I’m supposed to be on meds but can’t afford it. You can pull through and not need them. For me, meds help. Paxil was not the greatest for me though. I’ve been off it for years and I still have lasting effects. It’s important to find out why you feel anxious when the anxiety kicks in. Take some slow, deep breaths, and look at how to resolve things. Don’t let things fester. And find someone to talk to.

I feel for you i have suffered with panic attacks no fun

You aren’t alone, I’m currently taking medication for it and I have also started walking. Each day is different.:blossom::blossom:

Start the medicine. Don’t feel ashamed. It’s a life saver. Also get some help from a therapist

I am not one for medication at all. When I feel an anxiety attack coming on, I first text someone I trust and let them know. Due to the fact of the feeling of passing out, and other things. It may seem like you are a bother to them but it does help having someone to talk to. But I do meditation, I sometimes walk with my music.

I also have this same problem. I went to the doctor and ekg,bloodwork, and everything else all was good except I was having a couple more problems with headaches,hair and my nails. Come to find out I have a Vitamin D deficiency and now since taking vitamins everyday it’s nowhere as bad as it was.

2 Likes

I have genetic mutations that cause a vitamin d deficiency, and Amber Hernandez is on the right track. Start taking a vitamin d supplement and see if that helps at ALL. Anything is better than nothing.

1 Like

I have anxiety to begin with but have noticed it heightened since covid. I take vitamin b complex, aroma therapy ( essential oils) I also stuff from the health food store called rescue remedy, gaba can help ( also the health food store). Try to stay occupied, calm, relaxed. Watch your caffeine intake. I’ve struggled with this for 11 years and have never had to be on medication. Take it one day at a time. It will pass. My doctor also tried to get me to take medication but I never did. It can be done!

2 Likes

Meditation helped me a lot. It takes time and practice but it works. I finally reached a point that my 10yr old daughter can be next to me screaming and I barely notice. It helps to add a relaxing tea and/or calming oils (lavender for example) in the beginning. Breathe slowly in through your nose and out of your mouth. As you breathe out, count to 10. Do this over and over until you feel yourself relaxing and your heart rate slowing. If your open to it, maybe also get some cbd oil. Think about a specific time that was relaxing, like your favorite vacation. The most difficult part starting out is to focus. When you break your focus, do the breathing with counting again. I have debilitating anxiety and this has made a huge difference. I don’t snap at my kid, husband, or even strangers near as much. I got my daughter to start doing a little since we are home all the time together. It helps her to learn to be quiet for longer periods of time. Oh, and you don’t necessarily have to be sitting in a typical meditation position, wherever you feel comfortable will work.

1 Like

I read an article on this,called covid anxiety its a real thing people are developing.talk to ur doctor to see what u can Do,prayers u feel better

Medication doesn’t have to be a forever thing. If it truly is situational anxiety, it can just help you normalize during these weird and trying times. If you don’t want to try medication right now, you could go the therapy route as that can also be super beneficial. For your fastest recovery, you’d want to try medication and therapy. Then after you have some new coping strategies in place from therapy, you could wean off of your medication

1 Like

Yea ive bern having full.blown panic attacks and awful nightmares. Its just the stress of all that is being thrown at us and having kids and everything being so out of whack. I take 2 b12 and a magnesium every morning and stay really hydrated and it helps along with finding something to do. I started joirnaling at night with markers. Its a thing now and there’s lots of videos on it. Self care is really important. I also bought an oil diffuser and it works.

I have been using an Earthly CBD oil to help.

Sorry if this isn’t helpful😶 but can anyone recommend a calming tea as mentioned in the post? Im in the UK. Thanks

Try a weighted blanket. They’re amazing for calming anxiety when its relentless

Exercise and healthy eating help alot. Also, you need to be able read your body to know when the anxiety is starting. Then you can talk yourself down and I have also learned breathing techniques.

1 Like

Turn off all news!! Amazing results!!

2 Likes

Understandable that you have anxiety especially with the babies at home to protect. Meds can help, they don’t have to be long term. Stress can have such a negative impact on your physical and mental health especially right now. Sometimes natural doesn’t always work and we need extra help and there’s no shame in that.

My baby was born Feb 27, 2020 I’m freaking the hell out I feel your pain momma.

1 Like

I started having chest pains and pressure in my chest last January (2019). I went to the ER 4 Times in one month. They finally put me on the heart unit and began deeper testing. According to blood work, EKG, EEG, Scans, stress test and ultrasound, there’s nothing wrong with me, yet my heart still hurt. Bad. They kept me the last time for a week, on the second day, they started me on 10mg Prozac and 5 mg valium (as needed)…and my chest stopped hurting. They decided I had developed “Acute onset severe anxiety disorder” and it was manifesting in my chest. My regular doctor started maintaining my prescriptions after that. In addition, I started listening to guided meditation for anxiety on YouTube at night as I’m going to sleep.

In the last month, I decided to stop taking the Prozac to see what would happen. So far, no chest pains. I can tell when I’m starting to get anxious though and now try to take only 1/2 valium (probably about once every few days.) I was in a vicious cycle and I believe the meds did help me tremendously, but I don’t want to be on them forever either. I hope this helps you. I know that once I found out what was wrong with me, talking to other people who have had similar experiences helped a lot. I was not aware of how many people suffer with anxiety…until I developed it. :heart: Good luck.

Yes your not alone on this I have developed this same anxiety I quit my job because the stress got so hi even though I was working from home I find the more I plan something to do each day it helps I had nite terrors for thr 1st month waking up in the middle of the nite crying uncontrollably its hard but only you will find what works for you since removing my highest stress factor I am able to manage better your doing the right things talking with your dr melatonin is a natrual supplement that can help you relax and sleep

I started experiencing anxiety as an adult. It ranges from mild to severe. My doctor and I decided that I should take a low dose med at night to keep it at bay. If you’ve never had it before, it’s likely situational and you may only need medication temporarily.

Same problem, I have a 9 and 3 year old, also 6months pregnant. So as you know expecting g mothers cant take anything other then there prenatal, and Tylenol. As a parent/mother we have tons of worries, and fears for our children’s health and safety. I thought I was infected, freaking out, made my anxiety, and my stress level go up. We have wild tea in our area, we pick it, let it dry, and boil it, i usually use honey and lemon. And it has really helped me. I’ve tried other teas and they work just the same. I drink it once in the morning, afternoon, and usually a big cup at least an hr before bed time (all hot). A hot (but in my case a warm) shower helps. Its not much but usually helps me knowing I have to go without a lot of other remedies/medication to help me in this situation.

I’ve been dealing with Anxiety and panic attacks for years. With the covid stuff it definitely ramped it up but I feel back on things that helped me in the past. Practice mindfulness and grounding techniques. Set aside time for some meditation even if it’s just taking a few deep breaths to some calming sounds. There are some good meditation apps and even YouTube videos find one that helps you relax. Also try not to let your thoughts run away with you. If you start feeling overwhelmed try and train your thoughts and emotions to just pass. It’s easy in a time of uncertainty to let yourself spiral/ get on a if A then B then C mind set. Anxiety is all about what if and you can’t control that. Take precautions to keep your family healthy and safe and when you have done those things reassure yourself that you have done what can do.

Vitamins, yoga, and breathing exercises. I’ve always struggled w anxiety but anxiety is also a natural emotion and feeling. We tend to think we need medicine to not feel crappy stuff but I think it’s more important to just know it’s rhat (like you did to go rule out more serious things), and then try to figure out why and how to cope. Of course some people get it so severe due to imbalances and need medication, but I’ve always been able to just know when mine is coming on and try to figure out the source and how to deal.

Being a stay at home mom w three kids is enough to increase cortisol in general. Let alone during a pandemic. I’m sure it’s hard to ever find time but I’d make yourself a priority - exercise, take a bath before bed and read an uplifting book. Call friends. Read the Bible and pray. Whatever works for you. Sometimes watching a movie helps me shut it off if I take my mind off of it.

You’re normal though. So many people struggle w this at some point in their lives and in my case it comes and goes and has never been permanent where I needed medicine forever. Best of luck!

Not a fan of pills. CBD has some calming qualities & will not alter your clarity around the children. Worth looking into

3 Likes

I was diagnosed at the age of 22 with panic disorder. I am now 49 years old, I do not take medication and I can tell when they’re going to happen. Mostly brought on by stress. But I have found if I can get somewhere cold to where I start to shiver my brain will forget about the panic attack, and focus on staying warm. That has helped me the most. Hopefully that helps.

2 Likes

I had covid 19 mild case tho I have 8 people in my house im the only one in my house that got sick i did not stay in my room i was all over the house i sat in the sun alot never got a fever just learned to stay calm i did have a couple scary moments but my husband helped me threw it i was sick for almost 3 weeks… don’t panic over it if it happens it happens

Why is everybody freaking out about having their kids home?? Were you not taking care of your kids during the summer? What is the difference? It is that you can not do things in front of kids that you would do without them home

I’ve had anxiety all my life so COVID didn’t affect me any more than normal, but I also have worse things going on with my husband’s health so it’s lost it’s thunder pretty quick. The main thing I use to deal with it is teas and warm baths to help relax my muscles, once the tensions have gone you can start to relax. Also when I’m having really bad anxiety I constantly watch tv, not healthy to avoid the issue, but sometimes avoidance is all you can do, keep distracted. Keep breathing, and keep holding on tight to the little people who need you. :slight_smile:

I have been i n the hospital with the same. Problem I’m in an ASSISTED LIVING facility and we’ve been on lockdown since March just start praying

Meditation will help, you can even start at 5 minutes a day.

1 Like

I struggle with anxiety and ocd since I was a teen and it was under control but this has brought it out again. I just started jogging and it’s helping immensely. Getting the nervous energy out.

1 Like

I experience anxiety also as does my daughter. You’re not alone.

There are some great mindful apps you can download for free. They help me focus away from the anxiety. Just remember to take some time for you when you can.

1 Like

Have you tried CBD? Might help!

The media is blowing it out of proportion. Just stay calm and take precautions. I’m a stay at home mom with two little ones under 3 and are ourselves opening up and taking them to family and what not but still plan to keep them out of stores for a while longer. Basic hygiene is the biggest thing.

I just wanted to say that you aren’t alone. I think so many of us feel it but of course some more than others are effected physically and emotionally. I think having been to the doctor to rule out anything more serious is good. Maybe just knowing that alone is nothing serious can help you focus more on what you can do to help yourself deal with the anxiety. It was mentioned about therapy and other more natural options and I would always try that first but if you can’t seem to control it on your own you should definitely not be afraid to take a medication that can help.
I think this website gives some great tips on how to help. https://www.healthline.com/health/natural-ways-to-reduce-anxiety