I think my baby has a milk allergy...advice?

I’m getting so overwhelmed I’m not sure what to do anymore but I feel horrible. Our pediatrician suspects my baby who is 2 months old has a milk allergy and I will not cut out dairy it’s not an option as I’m already celiac disease. He’s already on Pepcid but since yesterday he’s been throwing up after I feed him and he’s fussy just crying and crying and besides that he has mucusy poops like I don’t want to stop breastfeeding but if he’s this uncomfortable then I would try the formula I just am so sad bc he’s the only child out of my 3 I’ve actually tried and produced so much to actually breastfeed

1 Like

I had to switch my daughter to a soy formula and she was so colicky when I breast fed. Turns out she was severely allergic to milk protein, not just lactose intolerant. You may want to try the soy formula or a rice milk alternative formula and see if it makes a difference. Sometimes despite our best intentions we just can’t do breastfeeding and there is nothing wrong with that if it means you have a healthier and happier baby. ((Hugs)) Parenting is so hard. You do what you think is best for your child at the end of the day (and yourself).

I am soy dairy and wheat/gluten free as my bub is allergic, it’s actually not that hard :person_shrugging:

A fed baby is a happy baby. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
If he can’t hold down food & dairy is a staple for you, formula is fine.
Vomiting too much, especially in babies, can cause other health issues. Holes in the esophagus, irritaion of his sinus cavity, blood shot eyes from any pressure he may get. If he’s constantly throwing up, he won’t get what he needs. Diarrhea can dehydrate him.
I know it’s not what you want but sometimes what we want vs what our kid needs don’t line up. That’s ok. You’ll be less stressed with a happily fed baby. It doesn’t make you a bad mom to use formula. :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

If you’re not willing to cut out dairy, your only option for relief for baby is switching to formula, unfortunately. There’s no medicine that’s going to help a dairy allergy/sensitivity. Cutting out dairy can be a pain, because there’s hidden dairy in so many things, but it is possible if you’re determined to continue nursing.

1 Like

Maybe lactose intolerant. Talk to your doctor.