I think my baby is allergic to his formula but no one will listen: Advice?

I swear, my one-month-old is very obviously allergic to his formula, and no one has believed me. I’m really annoyed with the people around me in that regard. Besides calling his pediatrician-what are your favorite sensitive formulas? TIA :white_heart: We only supplement or do one full feed with the formula and may supplement an ounce here or there. Anything helps. He’s been so miserable.

6 Likes

Go with your gut instinct. My son was in Cow & Gate Stage 2. Completely fine on stage 1 and 2 UNTIL it said updated formulation on the tub. This is what he come up like

1 Like

nutramigen worked for us

3 Likes

He could need lactose Milk both my kids threw up there formula shorty after drinking it.

Nutramigen was a godsend for us x

2 Likes

Both of my kids had to be on similac soy (pink container) anything else caused issues

1 Like

My son was spitting up after every feeding but still gaining weight. It took him pooping mucus and blood before the allergy was taken seriously. We started on Nutramigen and it has gotten much better. They say at least a few weeks before everything fully goes away. He is much happier and able to sleep thru the night now.

Enfamil Gentle ease was our savior after trying several. I believe you can buy cans from Target and if they don’t agree with baby you can bring it back (even if opened), worth looking into! Either way try each one for a bit, it won’t be an automatic change

1 Like

First thing I would do is call pediatrician…especially if you think he’s allergic…go with your gut…but I wouldn’t try a bunch of different things not knowing if he could be allergic to more

3 Likes

Change the formula on your own

Elecare is the best for sensitive kids. We went thru all of the lactose free and soy formulas before we got to it. Also he could be allergic to dairy protein, so if you are breastfeeding you may try to cut dairy, it took us almost 7 months to figure all of this out. Good luck momma!!

2 Likes

Try soy before going towards nutramigen or others like it

1 Like

Try enfamil prosobee

Similac pro sensitive.

1 Like

We had to use Elecare because my daughter had a milk protein allergy and also could have soy or wheat.

My daughter would break out with eczema from her formula, I never thought it was the formula, I changed soaps, lotions everything, but when I switched her to milk her eczema went away

My son had a lot of issues when he was born, I went through all kinds of different formulas nothing worked. I swore he was allergic. Took him to the doctor and she told me that you can’t mess like that with their tummies. Remember he was in your belly for 9 months and his digestive system is used to what you eat, it may take him a few months. By the end of it my baby was back at his original formula and it just took a minute for him to adjust, like my doctor said.

1 Like

If you suspect an allergy, you definitely need to talk to the pediatrician about it. There could be an allergy issue going on, but there could be lots of other things causing symptoms. The pediatrician will also have the best suggestions for what to use for your baby’s allergy and which formula to switch to.

3 Likes

Could be acid reflux. My son had it and he had to take liquid reflux reducer.

My oldest only nursed for 2 weeks and then we spent 2 months in and out of the doctors office trying to figure out what was going on- she was cow and soy intolerant. Nutramigen saved us!! Because of this I worked overtime to make sure I exclusively BF the next 3. It’s a tad expensive but your insurance may help with it.

1 Like

We supplemented one bottle a day with formula the first couple months, I thought the same thing. Even switched him to sensitive (lactose free) still was gassy, fussy, puking… Turns out he wasn’t allergic, his sensitive little tummy just wasn’t used to 2 different milks (breast milk and formula). So we strictly did breast milk till I dried up then 100% switched him to formula around 5 months. Took his tummy all but 2 days to adjust.
It really all depends on your babes symptoms.

Any way… I HIGHLY recommend probiotic drops. We used probiotic+vitamin D drops :ok_hand:

I have used targets formula since my second was born and now on and off with baby number 3 and have had no issues at all

Similac was provided by the hospital when my son was born. So we loaded up after we got home. Then puking and projectile diarreah came for weeks. So we switched to another similac. Never got better.
We switched to enfamile gentle ease. Eh. He got super constipated for weeks, like we went 13 days without pooping.
We switched to enfamile soy, took awhile to adjust but he got pretty “normal” belly and digestion wise.
After he was a year we put him on whole milk and he was doing alright. Always constipated.
Finally after 2 years of super constipation we’ve been 3 weeks on fat free milk and super limited dairy intake and this kid is no regularly poops!!
So point, just literally keep trying different things til it works. Give it at least 2 weeks trial before switching

Supplementing with formula sets you up for failure as far as breastfeeding is concerned. He’ll stay full on formula and you’ll produce less and less breast milk.

I am 51 years old, I have been allergic to milk my whole life, have you tried soy milk?

Mine used to throw up formula. Fine with breast milk. You need to do a week with just BM and then try a different one. Mine was fine with Aptimil which was allegedly the same as the SMA being chucked up! You also don’t need to top up. My HV kept telling me to but the vomiting put mine in hospital where they told me I was making plenty on my own (we used formula for convenience in the end rather than need).

Local doctors tried that with my son. After two weeks of taking him back and forth to the pediatrician I finally got fed up and tied up one of his dirty diapers and took it to their office. I told the lady at the front desk that I needed to talk to the doctor, he came to the front window I set the bag down (kinda hard) and said now check his poop. He called me back later that day to tell me that my son had small amounts of blood in his bowl movements. He said he was sorry for not believing me and he just thought I had the new mommy syndrome. He was my second kid but my first was only about 17 months at that time. We got him switched to a new formula and I changed his doctor.

I’ve been using Enfamil Enspire in a blue can. We got it as a sample and I’ve loved it ever since. We use it maybe once a day too as a supplement and it’s been great. Any other formulas make her gassy and uncomfortable but this doesn’t. It’s supposed to be the closest thing to breast milk out there.

What are your child’s symptoms? I had issues with my youngest 2, turns out they have cows milk protein allergy

I did Gerber soothe. Being allergic and a babys body not being tolerant of certain formulas are two different things.

Personally my son does have an allergy to cows milk, we use nutramigen, but it could be the 2 different milks that’s upsetting him. Have you tried pumping an extra bottle worth so maybe partner can still let you rest sometimes? Failing that definitely talk to babys doctor, you know when something is wrong xxx

Where are you? Hipp Organic is reputed to be the best store bought formula if you can get it.
Hope your little one settles soon.

Nutramagen i switched my baby myself i got sick of the ped not listening and it worked greay

Maybe try doner milk instead or even purchasing milk. Especially since it is such a small amount you are supplementing. It normally costs
$.50-$1.00 per ounce maybe jusy buy like 30 or 40 ounces and keep frozen

I had that feeling and I switched to soy helped so much

This happened with my first son. We went through 5 different formulas before I finally asked if she had samples of alimentum and thats what worked for him

My son also was also allergic to his formula. I’d find blood in his diaper. It was scary. I switched him to soy.

1 Like

It would help if you mentioned what kind of symptoms your baby is experiencing. I had one child with a protein intolerance and those symptoms were severe abdominal pain and mucus in the stool. The only formula that worked for him was Similac Alimentum. But it’s hella expensive and if you use WIC for formula you have to have documentation from a doctor for WIC to approve checks for that formula.

I had another child with lactose intolerance and those symptoms were similar but diarrhea instead of mucus, and for that we used soy formulas. That costs the same as regular formula and needed no special authorization in order to use WIC.

Milk allergies might give your baby hives and soy works to stop that too.

Could be acid reflux or pyloric stenosis which my son had at that age really need to see a professional rather than asking on here as you have not gi en any real details to why you think he has an allergy my son had to ha e an op at 5 weeks so please see someone who has a medical profession

Enfamil Gentlease is amazing for this kind of situation

1 Like

My kid had a hard time with everything but Enfamil Gentlease.

1 Like

Nutramigen!
We went through three formulas before finally getting some instant relief for our baby.
Don’t stop until it’s right, don’t listen to anyone who says otherwise!

1 Like

I used soy based formula

A mother knows better than anyone else.

My baby boy is allergic to cows milk protein so his diation put him on various formula, we tried nutramigen but he refuced to drink it ( admittedly it did taste horrible) but he really took to neonate, this was when he was 6 weeks old he is now 2 years old and drinks alpro growing up milk, hope this helps x

Nutrimigen. My daughter and grandson and granddaughter were on it. It is expensive and I didn’t have wic or any of that help but I did what I had to if it prevented vomiting and horrible gas.

You don’t need anyone to listen. If you don’t think the formula is right for your baby, look at your options and try a different one.

I had to put my son on alimentum. It’s the purple can of similac. It’s expensive but it’s the only thing he could keep down and got rid of the rash on his face. 6 weeks of hell trying to find something that worked… He couldn’t even drink my breast milk :pensive: he was projectile vomiting, crying non-stop, and had a really bad rash on his face… They did all sorts of tests the first week in the hospital,wouldn’t let him go home.