I think my family has been stealing from me: Thoughts?

I lost my wedding ring a week ago. I left it on the kitchen counter to wash dishes, and then it was gone. I looked everywhere for it. I even laid the trash out in the garage and combed through it. My FIL took apart the drains in the sink. I checked every inch of every room I was in. I checked all trash cans, vacuum, diaper genie, about tore about my entire room moving furniture around. I thought maybe my kids took it, so I checked every single hiding place they have. Shoes, couch, toy box, pockets. Nothing. It’s like it just vanished. I’ve never lost it before. My husband thinks my BIL or someone in his family took it or found it and kept it. A few months ago, my FIL left a check on the kitchen counter, and it vanished. They looked everywhere for it and nothing. No one knows what happened to it. When my BIL moved in his GF and her kids, our stuff started to go missing little by little. We eventually learned that they were using our soap, shampoo, laundry soap, etc. My husband truly believes that one of them either stole it or found it later on and kept it. I hate to even think it. I haven’t said anything to them, and I’m not. I’m hoping that when we start packing (we’re moving out next m,onth), it’ll just pop up. I’m just beyond devastated about my ring. I cried for two days, and I still haven’t stopped looking! I don’t want to think that they’d do that to me.

63 Likes

Unfortunately being family doesnt mean they are honest. My dad and his girlfriend steel from my mom and all us kids all the time. My dad has even adjusted my age so he can claim me as a minor for food stamps and stuff. I really hope you’re right and it will turn up, but if they have this repetitive behavior I wouldn’t put it past them completely.

Better check pawn shops. But if things have been going missing around the house, I think I might have found a better spot to put my ring than out on the counter. Hope you find it :pensive:

7 Likes

You need to confront them about it.

Honestly i would leave 50$ on the counter and have a hidden camera. I bet 50$ they take it

36 Likes

If it looks like, walks like and talks like

then it is
 you’d better lock away the rest of your valuables and stop giving them more opportunities to steal some valuables.

Sadly

7 Likes

If it walks like a duck

Sometimes, it be your own family 
 I hate that this happened to you, but a conversation definitely needs to be had.

2 Likes

It sounds like everyone needs to sit down and have a serious conversation with them if it’s not just your stuff that’s going missing. It’s no coincidence that things start to disappear as soon as they show up? I don’t understand why the parents haven’t already started to say something. I would ask to go through their stuff or just do it without them knowing

1 Like

I like the hidden camera idea

6 Likes

Just ask if anyone’s seen your ring anywhere and create a story that’ll tug at their heart strings and maybe then you’ll “magically find it”

Under stove? Fridge? Roll into a vent? I mean shampoo n stuff is nothing. But that’s a serious accusation

Go to local jewelry stores and pawn shops. And see if they have it.

9 Likes

Check the local pawn shops!

8 Likes

I agree with setting up a camera. If by chance, they are innocent and you accuse them- there’s no going back. And same can be said if they are caught stealing from you.
I would absolutely have yourself and others check ALL resale apps and shops in the local area. Most pawn shops let others know what’s stolen- so if it comes through their store they will alert authorities.

7 Likes

Fuck I’d start going thru their stuff, not not they sold it check pond shop.

Ask to search their room. Say you think your kids might have hidden it there, and you just want to make sure that they didn’t because you have looked everywhere else. If they object to you searching their things, you have your answer.

3 Likes

Sounds like maybe someone has a drug problem? Any signs of that

2 Likes

My bfs sisters bf stole so much expensive shit from us and she was his accomplice the entire time. ‘Family’ will screw you over worse than anyone. Dont ever think they won’t.

Check your nearest pawn shop. If there is someone in your family that is on drugs that would be my guess. I’ve seen wonderful people resort to theft to pay their drug bills. Put a camera up and plant something.

4 Likes

Get an in home camera they cost like $20. This happened to me and I was right. It’s tough you can’t say anything it does nothing. You’ll need to catch them unfortunately. Good luck!

4 Likes

Same thing happened to me! Except someone took my wedding band the day before my wedding, I was devastated. The only people that were in the house were my husbands family members. It’s really hard to not blame them bc they were the only ones there. I’m sorry this happened to you, what I did was replace my wedding band couple months later and since then just keep all valuables in a safe place where no one can get a hold of them. And probably just put a hidden camera

I would put up hidden cameras and leave something valuable lying around and find out for sure

3 Likes

Hidden camera idea is a good one
 Then you can confront about other missing things. Also someone said about checking local pawn shops, THAT is a great idea!

1 Like

Take pictures of your ring to every local pawn shop to start!!!

2 Likes

Leave something of value out with a camera!

1 Like

I’m my experience family are the worst theives, They steal and use ya some of my family are like that. Bloody scumbags

1 Like

Anything is possible.

I had a blood family member steal from me numerous times.

My brother stole my wedding ring and just about any other piece of jewelry that he thought he could sell to get him
Some drugs. He even let his girlfriend steal my clothes and he had a friend come in and rob me and steal my purse with everything in it
 so if you think it was him it probably was and you need to kick toxic people to the curb

4 Likes

sometimes family sucksđŸ˜©

2 Likes

I had that happened and found out my husband did it

5 Likes

First off change your locks get one of those camera doorbells social brother-in-law tries to get in and the key doesn’t work you’re probably start fussing and cussing first clue now mention in mixed company that you have added hidden cameras and you know who stoled your ring all they need to do is return it they’ve got 10 days and if they don’t you’re going to the police watch who exits in a hurry or suddenly looks very uncomfortable and look at him and say all that person has to do is return my ring and stand back and watch

3 Likes

Definitely set a trap!

Buy a cheap nice looking ring and see if they try to take it too. (Maybe they’ll mention yours)

Report it stolen and notify the local pawn shops. They have a holding period in case the items are stolen.

10 Likes

thats sad honestly id test em
 put a camera somewhere and lay a couple 20s down
 and see what happens

4 Likes

Why not set up a video camera and put something that looks valuable. Once its gone go and check your video and see how or who took it. Maybe that will solve your problem. Good luck.

2 Likes

check pawn shops and jewelry stores 

2 Likes

Check a pond shop or there things

Same thing happened to me. Carat solitaire with a 2 carat eternity band.
We invited a guy from my husbands job because he was unable to make the trip home.
No good deed goes unpunished. I put the rings in a little glass box like always when I was cooking something messy, like bread.
Him and his GF were the only ones there besides us but they denied taking them. My diamonds were my deceased mothers!
We finally had to make a claim with our homeowners. They paid but my new rings weren’t the same.
Will your in laws homeowners insurance replace your rings? Worth asking.

That is a serious accusation to make. It could be detrimental. So before u create an issue that may not be one. I agree with everyone else. I say put out money and have a camera going. Give them a day to return the money and if they don’t ask them about it. See what they say and show video. If they lie about it chances are they are the ones who took it sadly :sob::sob:but I really really hope it turns up. I’m so sorry

2 Likes

Don’t count your husband out. Sometimes a theif will steal knowing that you’ll blame a more obvious suspect.

3 Likes

Go to the nearby jewelry pawn shops or where you can trade gold or silver. Betcha it’s there!

5 Likes

That’s a tough one. Accuse and it wasn’t them and the whole family. Unit goes to crap. I agree i can’t say anything. I imagine if they help themselves to other things it doesn’t make them thieves. But who knows right. The camera/trap sounds like only way to be sure. It if they found out about that it could be detrimental as well. What a sad situation. Ugh sorry

1 Like

Get a camera and leave bait out for the thief (thieves) like money or another ring or piece of jewelry and catch them in the act. No one can dispute what you are saying if you have evidence

7 Likes

I lost mine a week later found it on top of my refrigerator. I feel your agony. Hope and prayers that you find it.

Whenever they all leave put hidden cameras up all over the house.

2 Likes

Where they’re gone go through their shit

Get a camera and leave something so you can see what’s going on. Be careful they don’t see you place camera somewhere

2 Likes

Look through their stuff!!! Wait till their gonna and search for your ring. It’s not like you’re going to steal anything from them. You just want something obviously very important bank

3 Likes

Report it missing and alert pawn shops

I lost my class ring took it off one day it just vanished my son couldn’t reach it my daughter wasn’t born yet I think my husband took it we were always low on money i.never checked on it that was years ago

Put up cameras and set bait. Then confront that person about your wedding ring (if they get caught stealing the bait)

3 Likes

Report to the police that its stolen and look in pawn shops. Get a camera and set a bait trap up. Once the item is missing watch who did it. Have a family meeting and ask who did it. When everyone says they didn’t say you’ve got video evidence you already know who took all items. Lie saying uve had the camera for before the ring was stolen but you gave ‘family’ the chance to give it back and be honest. Then explain you are taking the video to the police and are pressing charges

4 Likes

If you have a picture of it send a picture of it to the pawn shops so that way they know that if it comes in it stolen and I would set up hidden cameras because chances are someone in the house probably took it

2 Likes

Maybe need to check the pond that that ex had my go pond shit the other day or maybe go and see if the other was stolen. Hummmm I wonder but oh what nal not the x he doesn’t do that 
 Maybe I should check

I’d go check the pawn shops and if they happened to pawn it I’d press charges 
 stuff like this happens all the time it seems. Thankfully never to me. Praying it shows up though.

3 Likes

Set up a secret camera so.ewhere. it’s a great investment!! And you can see ANYTHING

3 Likes

I once thought I lost my engagement ring. I tore apart my room, car, and called the funeral home I had attended earlier that day to see if they found it. I was devastated and cried so much. My fiance at the time was in Japan and I was so ashamed to tell him I lost his ring. Luckily hours later, the funeral home called informing me that they found it on the floor in the parking lot right were my car was parked. I’d forgotten I toom it off when I was putting hair gel in my hair. For the life of me I did not remember even taking it off. Just double check the places you were at just prior of washing dishes in case you remembered it wrong and took it off somewhere else. Either ccx way you should move out cause hot in laws are thieves. I hope you find it soon!

1 Like

Report it stolen in case someone pawns it or sells it on Ebay, Craigslist, FB market place. Etc. Start looking online for it. But report it stolen to police. My sister got her ring stolen but was able to get it returned to her by making a post on her Facebook about it being stolen. It was taped in an envelop to her front door one day a few months after being stolen.

4 Likes

Dont take ring off if u find it u cant wreck a good ring no matter what u do.leave on finger or put it away yourself it takes about 2 minutes cant trust any body today. Good Luck God bless you

2 Likes

Your husband should talk to his brother. And lay down the law. Tell him if the ring is return there will be no questions and yall are doing the right thing moving out.

1 Like

You don’t expect family to do that but they do. :cry::rage:

2 Likes

I think you all should have a family meeting with the adults that’s not ok. I’m sorry

2 Likes

Look through everyones stuff when noone is home. They def did it.

Every pocket drawer and when they are sleeping go into their cars! Look e erywhere take their keys and call the cops so they cant leave be strong stop letting their friends over too you are tough I believe in you to take.charge

I lost a ring in the kitchen and found it under the refrigerator months later when I moved it to replace it. But yes, if things are going missing be sure to put anything of value away in a place people never expect to find them.

If you all are confident it was him that took it I would personally be mad if my husband wouldn’t have a talk with his brother about it. At the very least to tell him that he is going to the police to report it missing in next 24hours if it doesn’t turn up. That way it’s not directly accusing him but to make sure he knows the seriousness of the situation. Plus once its reported they wouldn’t be able to just pawn it so easily without being caught.

1 Like

Once everyone is out of the house (and if possible plan a day out for the fam but then end up being unable to go cause your ‘sick’ (full on play it out) then when they leave check their rooms. If you find it, take a pic of it and take it back. Anything and everything missing. Don’t say anything about it, they won’t ask you if you have seen it cause they will know they took it. They will also have to question where it went
did someone else take it, did you find it or did they misplace it. If you don’t find it, go to pawn shops. Even announce that you are going to check pawn shops the next day, and if you find it you are calling the cops and will have whoever took it arrested and charged. Odds are it will magically show up by end of day.

3 Likes

So why keep letting them in your house ?

Oh if someone is using they’ll steal from ANYone!

Set them up with something else.you need to know for sure.

1 Like

Report it stolen, if whoever took it goes to pawn it, it will alert the police and the ring will be returned to you.

4 Likes

Damm more than likely, get them out of your life and save up some money and to buy your self a beautiful new ring x

Family is the first to SCREW you over

I had a bill that took my wedding ring senior key. Was taking g bath at mils house.our water was being fixed.told me 2 days later told me took it no one believed next day burnt my house to ground. As I was going through remains he stood laughing told me he burnt it .fireman said started in garage couldn’t prove it 13 years old .moved far away 1 yr later divorce Ed good riddance

It’s probably looking likely they took it. But my kids were adamant they flushed my wedding and engagement ring down the toilet. 3 weeks it was missing I took everything apart in the bathroom to find them. Even had the bath panel off. And my husband had his hand in the Ubend and everything.
After 3 weeks I’d accepted it was never coming back. Until I bent down and they were right there. :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Who cashed the check??that should be a clue

You need to check all the pawn shops. They keep record of who pawns stuff with their IDs. Report it stolen.

My BIL stole my engagement and wedding ring, along with multiple other valuable items from us and his own parents, for drugs. Cut them out. Remember, if its ur husbands brother and even he thinks they did it, they most likely did.

U don’t need a pawn shop when ur dealing with a drug dealer
they likely just traded it off. Pawn shops leave paper and video trails.

1 Like

My ex SIL had my van key for 3 months. I found it the day after she moved out of our house in an otherwise empty container on top of my fridge that I had checked several times.

1 Like

What happened to the check? Was it cashed? It should be simple enough to find out who did it

Some ppl have no conscious if I didn’t earn it or was given it then I m not touching it

Set up a motion camera hidden somewhere, that you can later use outside at your new place (so it’s not a waste). And then leave some money out in an envelope that says “$$ for John’s work” (or whatever, just so it says that it is money and it is for someone else). Then wait. And you’ll find out who is taking things that don’t belong to them. Then grill their ass and threaten to call the cops if they don’t tell you where your ring is. Assuming you have no way of finding out what happened to FIL’s check.