I try gentle parenting but still get stressed out

I try to do gentle parenting, but I find myself getting irritated and yelling lately. I feel like my kids don’t listen and don’t go to bed when it’s bedtime. They constantly get up and play. We have a routine we’ve always done. What do i do?

14 Likes

I gave up trying to get them to settle on their own. We literally sit with them until they’re sleeping. Did it with out older 2 and are doing it with our younger 2 currently. (12,10,5,7) older 2 haven’t needed it in a long time and go to sleep great.

1 Like

Sometimes Mom’s don’t get “their” time, you need that sweetheart, take it!!

Look up triple p positive parenting online. Take the online course. It’s great.

Don’t give up on gentle parenting, it’s worth it! I would change up the routine, mine get complacent when things get boring but if I surprise them in the routine with something different (dance party to tidy up, silly games to get dressed etc etc) they buy in again. You can also talk to them and ask them why they’re having trouble, if they give their own solution then that’s great, it’s possible you might have fallen into a habit of nagging so they tune out?

2 Likes

If you haven’t listened to the Good Inside podcast or read the book, I’d start there. Dr. Becky is amazing!

1 Like

Listen to podcasts when you can about love and logic parenting style.

1 Like

I gentle parent parent, but can stern parent real quick too. Have established that, will often say as I’m trying and they’re not listening “Are you going to listen while I’m asking nicely!?!” It’s their choice, and know both now. Always start gentle, but when it comes down to it … do what needs to be done.

You need to make them use up their energy in the afternoons so that they are tired after tea. Try to keep them from using devices after school, and chase each other around the yard,

Do something with them that exerts their energy before bed or baths and a story.

2 Likes

Yes… you need to be the boss and not them… point blank period. I finally did this last couple years and it does cause fights but I’m the parent not them

5 Likes

Dole out punishments for them not listening. Losing privileges, grounding, time out. I’m personally against any physical hitting so I find other things that work. It’s so hard to not raise my voice though :grimacing:

4 Likes

Nope. No good. Yell and scream…Kids don’t care until you use a certain, serious tone.

2 Likes

Gentle parenting is what you do when your kids are in charge.

16 Likes

How old are they? Keep taking them back to bed. At first tell them it’s bedtime, next time say it again. After that, just take them back, no words. It will take a while if they have been doing this a bit. Obviously a very structured scheduled bedtime routine will also help. Stay strong, don’t divert. You got this!

1 Like

Put your foot down and take control or they’ll control you and drive you crazy. When I tell my daughter to go to bed I’m not saying it twice.

2 Likes

ditch the central parenting crap. that’s how spoiled brats are created

5 Likes

Gentle parenting is hard cuz these kids do not be gentle childing

24 Likes

Gentle parenting, works on gentle kids. It does not work on all kids. You may have to reassess, and try something different.

5 Likes

They aren’t listening because gentle parenting is a damn joke. Maybe try regular parenting where you make it known your their boss and they do what you say or there is consequences. You know since that’s literally how the real world works.

23 Likes

Control your own emotions. They’re little and will do silly things like that and then one day poof they’re all grown up. Be more patient. Go and speak to a therapist or someone yourself to control your own emotions. We were taught to smack kids who do naughty things, yet there are still criminals locked up who were smacked/spanked. People smack their children for not understand how to control their own emotions/behaviour, especially feelings like frustration.

1 Like

Gentle parenting is hogwash. Parenting requires yelling. Real world will not be gentle on your kids so you need to parent them to be able to live in the world.

6 Likes
1 Like

You can not gentle parenting kids that are not so gentle

7 Likes

You stay consistent. Don’t give up.

1 Like

You need to be the boss! Dont let them win!!! You take em back to their bed and tell them its bed time

1 Like

This is the problem with gentle parenting. Every single person who says they gentle parent has the same exact problem.

1 Like

I put them to bed in their room if they play, they play in their room. Let them and wake up when you want them to wake. Keep the routine consistent and eventually they will know that bedtime means bedtime or else they will be tired during the day. If they keep doing it then bedtime may need to be moved

Not my image/meme, but definitely pertinent :laughing:

You keep taking them back to bed, first say, " it’s time for bed, honey and then time for bed and then nothing whatsoever…eventually it will stop

This is not the place to ask about gentle parenting. It’s full of authoritarian parents who have a lot of child trauma they won’t acknowledge.

I’d love to help but I’m not sure the ages of the children.

Trust me kids don’t need gentle parenting. Idk who invented the gentle parenting bs because it wasn’t around when I was a kid nor when my child was younger. You don’t have to hit kids to get them to listen either. You do need to give them discipline and consequences for not listening. You’re the adult and they’re children. Your brain is 100% developed but theirs aren’t so as their parent you need to teach them to listen to you or there’s consequences. Stop letting your kids rule the household because that’s what happening.

6 Likes