I want another baby and my spouse is on the fence...advice?

I have a 2 year old and the baby fever is unreal. I want another baby so so bad. My significant other wants to wait and it’s literally eating me alive. Any time I am alone I cry about it. It sounds so dramatic but I am trying my absolute best to not make him feel bad about wanting to wait as I want to respect him and his feelings. He has been really back and fourth with a time line which has messed me up a little bit mentally but overall we just agreed to wait. I just know that when I look at him I see a big future with more children and I know he feels the same but just doesn’t right now. I don’t necessarily agree with his reasons but they’re not up to me to fix nor am i trying too. I don’t know how to get through this. It’s taking a huge toll on me.

9 Likes

Just wait a little bit and let him come around.

I am so sorry ! I understand. All of my kids are four years apart and it is a wonderful blessing . Maybe just give him some time -

1 Like

You’re being understanding of his feelings and that’s a good thing, and he seems to be understanding of yours which is always a good thing. We can’t always get what we want without compromise, just Maybe wait…do you guys both have a steady income etc? Maybe he’s worried he can’t provide financially, emotionally etc. also just because you don’t agree with someone’s reasoning doesn’t necessarily make them wrong

6 Likes

I worked in a daycare in the nursery room to overcome my cluckiness of babies :baby: they was so cute but eventually I didn’t mind having cuddles and handing them back.

1 Like

Do you need another baby or will you live without having another?

We were on the fence- i really wanted 3 but my husband thought 2 kids were alot and was on the fence- so we waited longer and then both were ready- our older girls are 5 and 7- but we finally had a boy and I really finally feel like our family is complete. Our girls love him and help alot with him and my husband and I both feel like we were happy having another. I would give it some time- it was better when we both felt ready. I was you when our oldest was 2- and I was always ready before my husband but I talked to him a few times and he said now- he’s glad i was so sure and kept bringing it up because he was always on the fence and I helped him be more prepared once it happened.

Maybe you can talk to him about timing? That may help you feel more secure about having a baby actually happening.

Why does he want to wait? To have more income? To be able to afford a bigger home? Are you saving for retirement, medical emergencies, a mortgage? Does he feel like it’s chaos at home already with one? Does he feel better about having one in school before you have another?

Will you keep wanting another baby after each one? Think about how you will get through the teenage years. Babies are fun but you can’t give them away when they get older.

Maybe do something where you can have babies in your life, like working in the nursery at your religious institution, working in a day care facility, volunteering to comfort addicted babies at a hospital, etc. to quell your hunger for babies.

I think you need to find something else to fill your time and to focus on. Crying every time you are alone is not healthy. That’s really concerning that mentally you need to work on a few things so you can be a healthier you, mama and partner. Maybe table the discussion until you’re in a good place and then have the talk about it. Are you sure that he actually wants more children or is he saying it just to keep you happy and that’s why he is changing the timeline?

Def get some therapy and maybe use a couples counselor when it comes time to have that convo.

2 Likes

Don’t push him into wanting another baby so soon
Re visit the the idea when your child is around 5 yrs of age
He probably has his reason for wanting to wait
For instance financial reasons and the cost of health insurance
And baby expenses
Just to name a few

2 Likes

I would pour that love into the baby you have for now instead of spending your days crying over one that’s not here yet.

1 Like

Sounds like you may be about to be a single mom if you do something stupid and "accidentally get pregnant…why do you want a baby that bad…it is not a relationship stabilizer, do you work, stay at home mom…:thinking:

3 Likes

I never had this urge. I don’t understand it, or so I thought. Our only child is going to college soon. While he and I were out to dinner tonight he suggested we adopt or foster. I’m considering it.

I wanted another when mine was 3 he said not yet… asked again at age 6 same answer shes almost 10 And now he would be fine with another… ha! ships done sailed out. 1 and done. so my advice stay on it if you really want it! Don’t wait years like me lol. Cause they will “not yet” you to death.

Do you need another baby or will you live without having another?

Your child’s 2, still a baby, enjoy that stage first… wait till he’s abit older…

1 Like

I would focus on some other goals. Maybe sign up for a 5k and try to get in shape for that, earn your degree, join a book club or start a business.

1 Like