I want to adopt my stepsons and leave their dad due to abuse: Advice?

So my husband had two boys who I’m in the process of adopting, but my family keeps telling me. Its a bad idea I’m the only.mother these kids have known for over three years, after I married my husband two years ago he completely changed he’s abusive and he constantly puts me down he doesn’t work, but yet I still want to adopt these boys and just leave with them is that wrong am I in the wrong do I just walk away and allow him to continue to put the kids down do I stay and take or do I take them

14 Likes

No matter how hard the situation I wouldnt leave the kids… If you love them like your own fight for them. I hate when step parents seperate then the step kids get dropped like hot potatoes (not saying thats what you are trying to do at all)

With substantial information you can get custody of the mom isn’t fit

Adopt them first then have him arrested and get restraining order and file for divorce and full custody till then you need to try to get as much evidence as possible. KEEP a log of what’s going on everyday.Put everything gets does and you do everything that’s said and done to who and day and time

13 Likes

Blood doesn’t make you a Momma, but your heart does. Continue with the adoption and then do what’s best for everyone. Leave and take those boys (if you win custody). You may have to jump through hoops. File charges against him, put protective orders in place, and hire a damn good lawyer.

5 Likes

Set your plan in motion. Adopt your boys. Make sure you have proof of abuse. It will help you to get the your boys. Once you go to court to adopt them their father as to swear in front of the judge that you are a good and fit mother that will be your proof when you take them from him.

1 Like

Follow your gut feeling. If your already in the process and know what’s best for those boys then you do what you feel is right!

2 Likes

Before I answer I would ask where is their mother? Did she leave because she too was abused? If that was the case or if you are unsure, you may want to try and contact her. Once you have done that you should consult a lawyer. Is your husband abusive to the children? If you haven’t already, document his violent behavior. Just be careful as those are his children and you don’t want to give him ammunition to do you harm legally.

2 Likes

If the mom didn’t give up rights you can’t adopt until she agrees to it if she around even if she doesn’t see them,you have to adopt them first then leave

1 Like

Once you adopt them, you are legally their mother and you have every right to take them if you leave their abusive father. You may have a fight on your hands but he can’t say you are a bad mom without perjuring himself because he has to say what a good mom you are for you to be able to adopt them.

3 Likes

Adopt them! You are a wonderful person. You do what’s best for you and those kids

3 Likes

Adopt them and run! :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:bless your heart!!

2 Likes

Talk to a lawyer. You may not be able to take those kids the way you think you can.

1 Like

Keep strong, stay until you Adopt them and take them…

1 Like

Always follow your heart do what’s best for you and the kids

I believe if you leave before filing adoption papers, that’s considered abandonment! You need to get a lawyer, get as much evidence as you possibly can and document everything! I’d also try to find any information you can about the mother! Was she abused? Did she give up custody of her kids? Does she have documentation of any abuse that can help? Make sure you get a damn good lawyer because this is not going to be an easy fight!!

Do it legally, then grab the kids and go!

You should talk to a lawyer in your state. You will need to legally adopt them before you leave him. If you dont adopt then and leave him you will have no legal interest or any legal relationship with his kids. Unfortunately step parents have no legal rights. Once a marriage end there is no legal relationship between a step parent and step children

1 Like

It doesn’t work like you seem to be thinking it does. If he has custody, even if you adopt them, he still has custody.

1 Like

Always do what is best for you and the kids

1 Like

Call a lawyer and protective services

Is their mom in the picture??

1 Like

Until u adopt u are just a step parent and have no rights what so ever.

1 Like

Adopt and charge him with abuse then divorce during jail time.

3 Likes

Where’s the mother of the kids?

1 Like

I would pretend like nothing is wrong , adopt those babies, and once its legal pack your stuff and theirs and leave him in the dust girl. Its so wonderful that those kids have you in their lives.

Hyou adopt those boys

Adopt them and take them with you.

Adopt them and go! God bless you and those children.

You cant do that. But good luck trying.

You adopt them n leave

i would start talking yo a counsoler, andlet themknow how u feel and then your dr . and maybe even a social worker, idwaiton that, but iftheyfind he has been abusive for a whileand u didnt report u wont be able to adopt and they would be put in the system…