I was told my 3-month-old has bronchitis and there was nothing we can do about it: Advice?

My children would get it as infants and would be given steroid and breathing treatments as necessary depending on how hard it was for them to breathe. I suggest getting a second opinion from another physician, or hospital.

2 Likes

Turn the shower on super hot and sit in the bathroom and let the steam help him. It thins the mucus and helps the coughing. My daughter almost died at 7 weeks from RSV…dr recommended the steam, it helped a lot!!

Motrin, humidifier and steam treatments

Antibiotics can do more harm than good if they are not needed. I had a friend with C Diff that had to have blood transfusions because of an overuse of antibiotics. Try the humidifier first, if that doesn’t help after a few days, get a second opinion.

1 Like

Take him to urgent care or hospital. They will prescribe a steroid most likely. I can’t believe they didn’t give any medication or advice. Sorry you were left w uneducated doctors. At 5 month my son was given a 5 day steroid. Turned him into a “hulk baby” lol but he was better by day 2-3

3 Likes

Run a humidifier around the clock. Look up chest PT, it is pretty simple to do and loosens mucus in the lungs. I also used the vapor bath that Johnson’s makes because vapor rub is not recommended. My guy had bronchiolitis (a bit different from bronchitis) at 6 weeks old. These are the things that worked for us. I also propped him to sleep to make breathing easier and fed him more often, lesser amounts because he was struggling to eat well (he was breastfed).

Snuffle babe and dehumidifier helped my lil one

Yes 2nd advice from several doctors you go on your instinct young lady

1 Like

My son has had broncitis since he was three months. They didn’t prescribe a nebulizer? Is definitely switch doctors & go to the E.R to have a steriod mist prescribed.

3 Likes

Keep him comfortable. Extra snuggles and love.
•Pain medicine when needed (infants Tylenol.)
•A humidifier when sleeping.
•Steamy showers, saline and a nose sucker to keep the mucus out and airways clear.
• Have them sleep at an angle. It helps with drainage and they will sleep better. You can put a pillow under the crib mattress on one end or get a wedge to put under it.
• Baby Vaporub will help. Especially for sleep. Chest and feet work best.

Antibiotics ONLY help if the infection is bacterial. Otherwise, it’s viral and you have to wait for it to run it’s course to clear up.

If he doesn’t get better in 5-7 days, his breathing becomes difficult or he starts having new symptoms take him back in.

It’s hard when they don’t feel well but kids are tough and can handle more than you think. I hope he feels better soon.

7 Likes

My baby did too. We used a humidifier and all that etc. but the thing that really helped was after the cough died down and wasn’t as bad he got a breathing treatment and got all the gunk sucked out of his nose and throat 2 days later great

Only turn on the hot in the shower and let them breathe in the steam from the other side. Another thing that helps coughing fits is to bundle up and go outside to breathe the cold air.

3 Likes

My 9 month old just got over it and he needed a strong antibiotic shot to get over it it lasted about 10 days then it was gine

And he needed a breathing treatment

Humidifier will help alot!

Keep the room dripping with the humidifier and just let it run it’s corse. Keep him or her as comfy and snuggly and keep the fever if any down. That’s all you can do and breathing treatments if they recommend it which actually won’t hurt

My 6 week old had this last week and they told me the same thing, I gave him nasal drops (snuffle babe), I was so worried I was even in hospital! He’s tons better now!

Rub baby vicks on their feet then put socks over them. Run the shower on hot water and get the bathroom steamy and sitbeith him in the bathroom. Antibiotics are of no use for bronchitis unless it’s bacterial. I’ve dealt with this my whole life and I also have asthma. Also babies under 6 months shouldn’t be prescribed antibiotics. A humidifier will help too. Prayers you baby feels better soon!

3 Likes

There should be antibiotics he can have, or breathing treatments. Without proper care bronchitis turns into pneumonia. Take him to the ER and get a second opinion.

1 Like

There are things they can do. Mine was about 4 months old when she got bronc and they put her on antibiotics. If they still don’t do anything get some Zarbees cough.

Baby Vicks and sit in a steamy bathroom with him and breathe it in. Get a dehumidifier if u want.

At the ER be sure to ask about using a Humidifier in his room for easier breathing. Prayers flowing your and your son’s way, Honey.:heart::heart:

Oh one other thing. Keep him elevated for easier breathing–not lying flat where lungs can fill up with fluid.

Fluids, humidifier, prop the crib mattress up by his head, and sit in the bathroom 2-3 times a day with the shower running hot. If he’s congested do nasal drops and clear his nose with the bulb sucker thing (not sure what it’s called). It should clear up on it’s own, but call your pediatrician if it’s not getting better, and take him in if he’s gasping for air, can’t breathe or develops any signs of RSV.

My daughter gave her breathing treatments. Find a better doctor.

1 Like

I’d run a vaporizer and stay away from sick people.

vics vaporizer steam machine works wonders, also using vics on the bottom of the foot with socks over them helps as well, and rubbing it on the chest, sleeping not fully laying down is a big relief! also the dr is right, its viral not bacterial so antibioltics will not help, as much as some might have it in their heads that it does, it does not in fact help with a viral virus only bacterial, steam from the shower! good luck its one that just has to take its course, i wish my son’s dad would get this through his head instead of demanding i take him to be seen every time he gets a virus that’s viral

2 Likes

I went thru that! When my youngest was born…I was sick as a dog. He had theeeeeee worst cough ever. I begged the Dr and pharmacist to tell me what I could give him for it. They told me nothing… because when they’re that young…any medicine will mask any other problems they might be having. I kept him in his bouncer…in his crib…so he was sitting up at least. I hope your son feels better soon.
P.s…do not give him anything with honey! They told me that would make it worse.

Go see another doctor!!

Bullshit. They gave us a nebulizer when my son had it at 2 months with albuterol. Also, as a former nurse, go find a pediatrician that will listen. That child is going to end up in the hospital with pneumonia without treatment. Likely won’t need antibiotics just something to get the fluid out of the lungs. Use a COOLMIST humidifier, not warm mist. The Hylands cold tablets were okay to use at 4 months per our pediatrician. Elderberry drops may help as well. The Zarbees with Ivy leaf extract and agave is what we primarily used. Be sure to rinse the nose with saline and suction atleast twice a day also.

Humidifier, saline, suction, repeat. Ober and over and over. I fought this a couple of months ago with my now 9mo old and it’s basically all you can do. BUT keep an eye on his/her breathing to make sure it doesn’t become retracted and there’s no wheezing. We ended up having to do breathing treatments and a steroid

I agree find a better doctor. The child desperately needed an !albuterol nebulizer treatment

I would get a second opinion. They gave my son a nebulizer. Be careful with the vics. Have then sleep elevated.

My daughter had bronchitis at 3 months
The doctor said to bundle her up and take her outside to breathe in the cold air 5-7 at a time 4 times a day the second day she already sounded better day 3-4 it seemed as if it was gone a week later I took her in for her check up and she was better

My son has has bronchitis since he was around 3 months
In and out of hospital
He’s now 14 months and has another bout of it at the moment
We have had allergy testing done and we are under aPaediatrician who is due to see him again in January
I purchased a nebuliser myself and get saline ampules prescribed to use
I also use saline spray and a nose sucker to get rid of the mucus
Calpol to ease off and keep temperature at bay
We have also been prescribed a pump which we use when he had these bouts.
Lots of fluids and keep nice and warm
No unnecessary outings in this cold weather etc xx

Also recommend Asda vapour bath
That helps before bed time too xx