I wasn't the best mom to my girls growing up: How should I fix this?

If they won’t sit down and talk to you write them both a very sincere letter and ask for their forgiveness and apologize for everything… tell them you were wrong & ask them if you can start again… no excuses…no justifications… and then if they agree to s fresh start SHOW them that you are Truely remorseful and change your behavior…respect & trust must be earned and it will take them time to do both IF they see a huge difference in you… hug them… kiss them…tell them they are beautiful…smart… valued… loved & wanted… and NEVER EVER tell them they were a mistake or accident but a BLESSING & the best thing that ever happened to you… DONT EVER give up on a relationship with your children… mothers teach their daughters how to parent & love their own children… make this a priority NOW before they get older… if my mother had done these things we wouldn’t have been estranged for most of my life… I do all of these things for my 3 adult sons… I give them all the love & respect I wish I had had from my mother…

They needed you when they were younger and it was very hard for them to live with the situation so since they finally got used to living without you, they have so much hurt towards you and dont want to reopen the wound. It’s too late now. You have to start off as friends and work your way from there. But you can’t force to be their mother now. Just start from the bottom and gain their trust and love.

You can’t make up the past but you can make a better future never give up

I don’t know how you can write to a bunch of strangers about debating fixing your relationship with your daughters and then insult one of them. It sounds like you should just let the relationships go if one of your options is to go live your life. Sounds like you did enough of that and still contemplating that as a solution. My mom has messed up herself but she would never, not stop trying to be there for us. You can’t keep living in the past with your children, but why not talk to them and see what they want? Maybe it’s talking to a therapist or anything that would help you guys, but they’re your kids at the end of the day. I don’t know how people can just give up on that.

1 Like

You can not fix that which has happened you are not a bad mom .I have same problem I left my husband for good reasons for them and for my sake but when it comes down to it I always land up at the end of respect from them .Let it go carry on with life they now have to learn there own mistakes .I am in that same spot right now .

Whoa…wait…It’s emotionally draining for YOU to be around your daughters who resent you for your chosen poor parenting behavior? Weird. Maybe they’re not being disrespectful, maybe they are treating you as they feel they were treated. :woman_shrugging:

Apologize, you can’t change the past, only learn from it.
Move forward and be kind, thoughtful and loving, continue to show by your actions how you have changed. Patience, but don’t be a door mat either. They have no room to talk if they are being disrespectful themselves .
Ask for forgiveness and move on… :two_hearts:… it’s nice you recognized your faults and are trying to change;- not everyone can or will do that, good for you!

2 Likes

I try to tell my kids this. Actions have consequences. Not always but sometimes for a lifetime. And we have to live with it. If you weren’t around much or whatever the case is, they are probably resentful, rightfully so. Give them space. If they want to be apart of your life, they will.

2 Likes

Sweetie - if you’ve done your part as a mother - sometime you just have to let them be- live with NO regret and enjoy life!! Continue to Pray for your children because one day they will need you and I’m sure you will be there for them if you can but don’t put yourself in an early grave over adult children!! Try family counseling and set your selves free :raised_hands:t5::raised_hands:t5:

2 Likes

:thinking: well you’ve accepted and took responsibility of your actions , hopefully telling your girls this and not just us arm chair FB councilors, you shouldn’t be asking strangers if you should give up on your kids or yourself, you should ask your girls!

Well who’s fault is it, that they act like this . Like what way where you not a good mom . And as a mom you should always try to be part of thier lives

She’s the mom just let them live life you have too as well ,eventually they will reach out you’ve done your part . Hope they know they only have one mother . I wish I had mines . My daughter n i we get along well n she’s the only daughter I have n one son too … wish you the best just go live life the past is just that always forgive your mother .

My advice to you as a mom is that we all made mistakes some way or the other.If you cannot say it to them it’s best to
Write them each a letter letting them know that you are sorry for not being able to be the best mom to them but you did the best you know how to at the time and you are willing to work on having a relationship with them in the present and the future.
If they are not interested , you all go your separate way

NO mom is perfect we all have are faults …for whatever reason you were estranged that ain’t the case anymore try and have a heart to heart with them let them get mad scream yell cry get all those feelings out and then explain why you were missing this part of their life and assure them that is not gonna happen again and just keep on loving on them and tell them very nicely and calmly it’s not okay for them to be disrespectful and it most definitely is okay to share their feelings through conversation or poem or a letter whatever works for them but being disrespectful will not be tolerated everyone falls short and messes up and shouldn’t be punished for the rest of their lives I pray time is a healer in your case I pray your relationship with your kiddos be restored and you gals have a happily ever after

1 Like

Never give up! I think they are a little scared to open their hearts because they remember how you let them down. Prove them wrong be the mom you should have been. They need to trust you again. We all make mistakes but step up to the plate now and be a mom. They won’t trust over night but in time they will see you are trying. It does bother me that you are wondering if you should just give up. Once again your worried about your feelings. Stop thinking about yourself and how you feel.Don’t ever say that to your kids. If you get your .feelings hurt just remember your kids went through hell too. If you can’t stand by them and love them enough to mend your relationship and one you gave up on then walk away now. Again stop thinking about yourself

1 Like

My best advice I can give is sit them down speak to them as adults tell them you realize you made past mistakes and you are trying to grow and be a better person and you’d really like a relationship with them. Tell them you are sorry you have no idea how far an apology will go when someone is angry to hear a validation for the anger is so freeing. ( troubled dad in my childhood)

This is a dilemma. I too was raised by a mother who allowed her demons to have an impact on how she parented. My childhood wasn’t pleasant. For years I couldn’t get over my anger and hurt. To this day our relationship is strained but I love my mama. It took me having my own children to understand she did the best she could with what she had. The biggest thing is owning your mistakes. Asking for forgiveness and not making excuses. I don’t know what grievances they have with you but it’s still no excuse to allow yourself to be disrespected. They have the choice to either forgive and work towards a better relationship with you or if they’re unable to right now work on themselves until they’re able to. It’s a rough process I know. As a mother I would NEVER give up on my children. Good chance they’re intentionally making things difficult just to see if you’re willing to endure. You failed them once. They’re scared you’re gonna do it again. Anger is pain in disguise. Don’t give up. They’ll come around if you are consistent. Best of luck to you and your babies.

1 Like

Just be there when they want mom. My oldest treats me the same and i raised her. I dont blame us. I figure someone has filled them with bullshit and disrespect so they think of us as they remember they love us but some just wont accept that moms are not perfect we make mistakes but its not our kids who are to correct us. Be you. Be happy. Yes we can love them always but its best to be strong and not let them see hurt when their mean. Spend some one on one mother loves ya day.

Do your part. Let them know you love them. Apologize for the past and let it go…the rest is up to them. But make sure you let them know that no matter what, you can NEVER make up for the past and all you can do is be the best mom you can and make the most of everything from this day forward!

2 Likes

Continue and suggest family counseling if you give up to soon you may have regrets later

Let them go why are we judging this person she ask a simple question

1 Like

By being the best mom you can be now!

NEVER Give up trying to mend your relationship with your Daughters ! NEVER :heart:

1 Like

Do not allow space in your mind for guilt and regret they are adults now they should understand if times were difficult or challenging tell them to get the heck over at

Interesting I’m in a familiar situation.

Absolutely Stop The Taste if they are adult women then they are capable of looking back on the situation and seeing it for what it really was live your life don’t live in guilt don’t live in regret

Prayers for you and your family . God bless

Those are some deep wounds. Possibly family counseling.

2 Likes

I see it like this they’re grown they know how they feel and if they want to be part of your life they will I don’t think that chasing them will change their mind

2 Likes

Couseling i would try

1 Like

It’s hard let them decide

1 Like

You can start by apologizing. Tell your girls that you are sorry for not being a better mother to them. I don’t know what your situation was at the time but maybe if you tried to explain why you were a crappy mother. Maybe they would understand and try to forgive you. Your children are bitter, resentful and angry with you. Try writing them a letter sincerely apologizing, and go from there. It’s not but so much that you can do at this point. They will either forgive you or not but that’s completely up to them. I would continue to try but I wouldn’t allow them to be disrespectful. If the disrespect continues then you will have to love them from a distance. I would continue to send Christmas and Birthday cards but I would keep my distance.

1 Like