I would like some opinions on breastfeeding

I am right around 12 week along with my 2nd baby, my first is 8 years old in October. I was unable to breastfeed my son, and was seriously considering it for my second, I just am not 100% sure how I feel about it, I need some advice on classes to take to learn more about it and or books to read just any advice would be great.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I would like some opinions on breastfeeding - Mamas Uncut

I was not comfortable breast feeding my youngest. Never even tried with my oldest. They are 4.5 yrs apart. However I had nothing but formula issues with my oldest. So I looked it to pumping. And decided that was what was best for my situation. So I pumped exclusively for my youngest and I wish that someone would have suggested it when I had my first. But all I knew then was breast fed or formula fed. Any way that you feel is comfortable for you and baby that is what is best. Don’t ever let anyone tell you otherwise. Good luck mamma, you’ve got this! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

First 10 days suuuuccckkk. It might be up to 14 days but then you both get in a routine and if you’re like me and hate doing dishes it’s kinda perfect! No harm in trying and it’s not for everyone but if someone had not told me it got easier I would have never continued. You’ll be great no matter what you choose and at the end of the day as long as your baby is fed don’t take slack from anyone about the method.

6 Likes

no harm in trying it to see if it works for you…look into breastfeeding classes in your area and/or reach out to friends who may have some advice! my bub never latched so i pumped til 6 weeks then i dried up unfortunately. Im 15 weeks with #2 and will try again!

Look into connecting with a breastfeeding consultant.

1 Like

My first I did not breast feed. Due to not producing my second we tried made it 4 weeks then she got bound up screaming crying we gave her a bottle and she was much better and no longer bound up she decided she was a formula baby. Go with your gut if you want to try then try there is no harm in trying then stopping and there is no harm in just not trying to breast feed you will figure out what is best for you

1 Like

Breastfeeding Younger Babies and Beyond
Milky Mommas (Breastfeeding / Lactation / Human Milk Feeding Support)
Are great groups!!

Most hospitals these days have lactation consultants that can help you ! There are lots of lactation products like cookies and teas that you can use! Fun fact most insurances provide a breast pump for free so make sure you look into it toward the end of your pregnancy!! Check if there are breastfeeding classes or consultants in your area. I know where i live the local WIC office has one!

Best advice, don’t get discouraged ! Don’t get stressed! Just be patient and give it some time it’ll be new for you and baby and you’ll likely take a bit of time to get into a routine! Don’t stress about it! And if it doesn’t work for you THATS PERFECTLY OKAY TOO!! No matter what you and your baby will be fine ! :revolving_hearts:

The health department in your area should have a breastfeeding consultant that can help you out.

Look for an IBCLC not just a lactation consultant. They are much more trained.
Good luck, it’s a wonderful journey.
Don’t put too much pressure on yourself.
There are also some great breastfeeding support groups on FB, depending where you are located.
In Australia we have the ABA (Australian breastfeeding association) we can call for help. America have similar, and I know some other countries do too.
Ignore those who say your milk is not fatty enough. Your milk will be exactly what your baby needs.

I would say give it a try if you’re considering it, but don’t feel down on yourself if it’s not for you. I had a really difficult breastfeeding journey, my daughter was a 3 lb preemie and was in the nicu for 3 week. They said she was too little to latch so all I could do was pump and bring milk to the hospital for her each day…I overproduced, I soaked the bed each night no matter what wrapped myself with to try to prevent it. You have to pump every 3 hours or feed every 3 hours including all night even if your baby sleeps or else you’ll lose your supply. I didn’t realize how much truly goes into it or how mentally exhausting it was. I wonder if I might have had a better experience had she not been in the NICU and had I been able to actually breastfeed, but still, it’s hard. So if you decide it’s not for you there’s absolutely no shame in that :heartpulse:
The hospital will have a lactation consultant and your prenatal doctor could probably get you in touch with one now if you want to start learning early. Also, if you have Medicaid you can get a really nice pump through insurance for free so be sure to ask your doctor about that!! :slightly_smiling_face: they’ll sign a paper and get it ordered for you when your in your 3rd trimester.

TBH I was a young mom with my first and knew absolutely nothing about babies when I gave birth, but after 3 days of crying because my milk didn’t come in and baby was hungry but refusing to latch to a dry boob, my milk did come in and breastfeeding became the next most natural beautiful thing behind birthing my son. My biggest advice, don’t give up so soon because it might take a few days, but don’t be hard on yourself if it just isn’t right for you

I don’t have much good material, but I breast fed my daughter for about three months and loved it. Unfortunately I have pcos and because of that I do not produce much milk at all. Just remeber that as long as you’re feeding that baby from boob or bottle that you’re doing the best you can and to just enjoy it. And there’s absolutely no shame if you don’t like it and decide to stick to bottles!

I would highly recommend lanolin and nipple shields. All 3 of my kids bit my nipples so hard that they bruised

Breastfeeding Mama Talk

Join Milky Mommas (Breastfeeding / Lactation / Human Milk Feeding Support) milky

I wanted so badly to BF my daughter and unfortunately I couldn’t. I’m hoping with my second I can. Think of looking into a lactation consultant and there’s a bunch of Facebook groups for it as well. Also, WIC has alot of resources for it. Good luck mamas

1 Like

The first couple weeks are always hard because you and baby are both learning. It’s a skill that you both gotta work at and it will get much easier in time!

I took a breastfeeding class and it was super informative!! I hope you find one

Try all the positions! After lots of bleeding and bad latches I found my kids like to nurse laying side by side.
I went from I can’t do this to nursing for 6.5 years.
YouTube and my wic office were alot of help