Ideas for inexpensive homecoming outfit for my son?

Thrifting all the way. Might have to hit a few shops. I was just in a goodwill that had suspenders and bow ties too! Dress pants and shirt with tie for homecoming was always a staple here :slightly_smiling_face:. If it’s cooler a coordinating sweater!

8 Likes

Goodwill…you’d be super how many rich folks buy suits for a one time event then donate it. A few bucks for the dry cleaning and you’re good to go

2 Likes

If you have friends that attend church with kids around the same age as your son, height, etc. Ask them if he may borrow a pair of nice slacks and a tie then by a nice dress shirt from wal mart or Ross or even goodwill. Local Buy/Sell pages might have something posted as well or you could post on one asking if anyone has some cheap nice dress clothes they are willing to part with.

2 Likes

Many teens opt for a more casual look of dress pants, dress shirt, bow tie and suspenders. Some even go with khaki pants, white dress shirt and clean sneakers. Depends on his style. Dances have become much less formal over the years.

3 Likes

A sports jacket at one of the large chains like Kohl’s or Penny’s? You could probably go cheap online buy beware of delivery time and size. You would be amazed how cheap. He could use it for many occasions so buy up a size.

1 Like

Let him look and show you
…he ain’t gone wear what you choose

2 Likes

Thrift stores, H&M are good ones to start.

3 Likes

Hi. What size is he? We have a suit(pants, dress shirt and coat) worn twice!

1 Like

Something with a fun print can totally come from a thrift store. A bright, colorful vintage shirt. Vests are coming back. I totally agree with a bow tie and suspenders. You do not need to go with the rented suit and cumberband like we did as kids anymore.

4 Likes

Some communities have donations for teens. Try churches or even the school recourse office and see if they have any leads. You can also find a really nice outfit at a thrift store.

You can ask the school counselor or patent outreach coordinator if they have any resources for the boys.

2 Likes

Suspenders & bow tie in or with school colors & depends on where you live, too. In Texas, boys frequently wear jeans & boots (don’t have to be fancy) with button up shirt to places Giles get all dressed up. In the winter, they add a sports jacket & it’s called a Teas Tux. Hope he has a sweet girl & knows how to be a gentleman …& a good time.

Boys usually do dress pants and a dress shirt. They don’t get all dressed up.

Try Men’s warehouse, they sometimes have special sales. Some things are returns and some are discounted for job seekers and students. Good Luck, you may get some help.

Check FB for a local Buy Nothing community group to see if anyone has something they’d give you. Check if the school has a public closet or is organizing a clothing swap. And see if there are any teen oriented thrift stores in your area like Plato’s Closet, where he may be likelier to find something than like a Goodwill.

What about a nice dress shirt, slacks, and unique bowtie and suspenders? It keeps it casual and could be a little bit more affordable than a full suit, unless it’s required or that’s what he prefers. At my school, only the homecoming court candidates wore formal attire, everyone else wore regular clothes, so I’m not sure what rules apply (:

14 Likes

Kohl’s and target always have great deals.

1 Like

blue bin thrift store! it’s on 4th by red ox-full outfit i think is $15 they have full tuxes- vests- white shirts

Black jeans & either a dress shirt or polo/colored shirt. Some opt for school color polo.

I went with dark jeans… Cheap and cheerful, white shirt, red pants braces and a red dicky bow. No point buying my lad shoes so he had a pair of canvas shoes… Not converse but the cheaper version.

Walmart actually has a ton of really fun printed button ups. Pair it with slacks, also from Walmart, and suspenders from a place like Spenser’s you’d be set for like $40 :orange_heart:

Join your local towns Buy Nothing group on Facebook and do a ISO(In Search of) young mens attire for his homecoming dance(make sure to include his sizes for shirts and pants). You’d be surprise how many people will respond in your local town.

6 Likes

Ask the school if there is a clothes sharing closet for special events.

At our school the boys wore shirt, tie and black trousers/jeans (school trousers would do) with black or brown shoes the tie would be matching with the other boys or their girlfriends dress lol x

Does it have to be a suit? I never did those things but why not a dress shirt an pants :woman_shrugging: at least he can get use out of those again. Maybe add a vest

Ebay as well. Let it go is another good app. Dressy consignment stores, rental

Rent a tux and accessories for the evening - that’s what most do. Maybe a friend has an extra or has brothers so they have more than one and he can borrow?

Pretty much anything decent goes these days. Suits and tuxes seem to be a thing of the past.

I found my grandson a nice suit at a thrift shop, it pays to look around.

I’d like to help but where would I get ahold of you

1 Like

Hello! A pair of black slacks and a button down is pretty common right now. I have a teen brother. You could also do suspenders and a bow toe or just a tie!

Idk why I thought she was talking about a baby being brought home :joy:
Your talking about a teen going to prom ,
I would look at salvation army or even Amazon

I read in another comment
Maybe talking to his school counselor could be a good idea

What about renting a suit

The suit of your husband bring it to tailor to fit to him i think just try

I vote for black pants and a silk shirt

Do you have a thrift or good will near you? They have great selections at affordable prices.

Just a regular dressy button up and and some dark jeans or slacks. And a tie. The boys never really over did it the way girls do.

Call the school and ask them if they know of any donation places for males. They have that in Our area. Just a thought.

Also if hes taking a girl have him ask her what she’s wearing… if he shows up in jeans and button up while she’s decked out in a full ball gown she may get upset.

1 Like

A pair of black dress pants, a nice button up shirt, add a tie/ bow tie. Burlington has a ton of dress clothes for men/boys. Pretty reasonable

Try a thrift store! Lots of high quality stuff cheap! In fact years ago I found my prom dress at a second hand store. It looked brand new, fit great and saved hundreds.

I would reach out to his school counselor. She may know of ways to help.

2 Likes

The store H&M is affordable and stylish for men

Burlington has some decent suits for cheap.

vintage thrift stores

My friend found a basically brand new Calvin Klein suit at the thrift store! Just visit a few and you might get lucky!

I can’t believe this. A great testimony that i must share to all HERPES patient in the world i never believed that their could be any complete cure for HERPES or any cure for HERPES,i saw people’s testimony on sites of how DR Boateng prepare herbal cure and brought them back to life again. i had to try it too and you can,t believe that in just few weeks i started using it, all my pains stop gradually and i had to leave without the HERPES DRUGS the doctor gave to me. Right now i can tell you that few months now i have not had any pain,delay in treatment leads to death. Here is his email:( [email protected]) his WHATSAPP number is (+2348165734290) thank you

Ross. DD’s. Even wal mart

https://www.josbank.com/p/1905-navy-collection-slim-fit-suit-separates-jacket-clearance?channel=PLA&brand=JAB&source=google&medium=cpc&campaign=12983582835&adgroup_id=128721514784&keyword=pla-302276578492&content=JosBank/398Y_04_1905_LIGHT_GREY_MAIN&match_type=&ad_id=519520921895&category=Apparel%20%26%20Accessories|Clothing|Suits&custom_label=SUITS|Suit_1905|Clearance|top%20products&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4eaJBhDMARIsANhrQABTuDfDgdeIl30gIzQb9WQmfH-lTXJmyPUb3jLIUZZ6X0tkbT-orAsaAn9_EALw_wcB

Check a tux rental place. You should be able to find something really nice for a reasonable daily rate.

Two years ago grandsons homecoming look

Burlington Ross DDs have great finds

Consignment shops too

Get some nice slacks with a dress shirt, bow tie and suspenders. You can find them all on Amazon for pretty cheap.

Shein.com is probably the cheapest site with good quality clothes. A pair of slacks and a blazer with a coupon shouldn’t be more than $30

Nice jeans, button down shirt and a vest.

Khakis and a button down

1 Like

Do you have cash app?

4 Likes

Full suit for less than $100 Men's OppoSuits Slim-Fit Solid Suit & Tie Set

Homecoming is not in need of a tux! Just a dress shirt, dress pants, and tie! I was just in high school 5 years ago! Lol! You can get all those things at Walmart for so cheap! When prom comes and he does need a full tux you can just rent one for less than 100$! I believe my date at the time paid 75 to rent one! And I think tuxes can go cheaper depending on who from and the style!

2 Likes

Black pants nice bottom down shirt and tie

When I was in high school (graduated 2009) boys just wore a dress shirt or a polo and slacks.

Check to see of you have resale stores or consignment shops like Plato’s Closet, Buffalo Exchange, DeJa Blue, in your area. These stores are a more affordable option than buying brand new. They usually carry current fashion trends and the employees are usually happy to help style you.

1 Like

I’d still try thrift stores, even in the “fancier” side of town, they usually have a better selection. And if he likes to be different in his clothes that would help a lot! It’s easier to find different than it is the standard types

slacks. nice shirt and tie.

I have no idea if you are local or if this is a nationwide site. Before I go through clothes, what area of my the country are you in?

How about a rental. Shop around.

Look on Pinterest they usually have really good ideas