Ideas for kids sharing rooms?

So my son is 2 and my step son is 11 hes a pretty good sized boy. They share a room and it’s small. Right now my two year old is still in a crib and my 11 year old has a futon but he never wants to sleep on it he normally just sleeps on the couch in the living room. We have him only on the weekends. I’m looking for ideas of a big to get them maybe a bunk bed…anyone have any ideas? If you have an older kid and a younger one share a room I’d love ideas!

13 Likes

A room divider to give them their own space!
Even if it’s a small room he can decorate his side how he wants.

4 Likes

My 3 sons have always shared a room for the most part. Do a loft bed and put the little ones bed under it.

3 Likes

That’s a hugeeee age difference. Honestly I would let him sleep where he chooses…hell get him a nice air mattress

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s the age gap you said your stepson is only home on the weekends.so no matter what you do to give him a space in that bedroom he will always feel as though it’s his 2 year old brothers room.plus the 2 year old has access to all of his stuff while he’s at moms.my husband and I both have children from a previous marriage.so I’m not saying anything from judgement just expirience.its very loving and sweet of you to try and give him a more comfortable space but if he feels most comfortable in your living area on a couch I’d simply accommodate that somehow,clean out a closet somewhere in the house designated for his things when he’s away(will keep little brother out of them)buy some nice storage for his bedding to keep in the living area and call it a day.

1 Like

My girls shared a room until my oldest moved out. They’re 23 and 16 now but when they were roomies, they were 18 and 11. We have a bunk bed in there that we got from Bed Bath & Beyond. Now that my oldest moved out, the top bunk is for stuffies & kitties :laughing:

1 Like

I had three girls they shared a room throughout their childhood

1 Like

You could do a loft bed so that the 2 year olds would fit underneath.

Your stepson is sleeping in the couch because he doesn’t want to share a room with his 2 years old brother and you should not blame him because is a big age gap .
I think that not matter what you do / get he will still sleep in the couch,
I will ask him for his opinion and will try to make the room as comfortable and welcome as possible, you can even try to maybe separate the room with curtains or a board kind of wall to give him a little more privacy

2 Likes

Honestly i don’t think bunk beds would help at all. 11 years old is just too old to be sharing a room with a two year old. I know all situations are different but don’t be upset if he continues to sleep on the couch. He will be a teenager soon and it will be very important for him to have his own space.

32 Likes

Your stepson sleeps in the living room because he doesn’t want to sleep in a 2 year old’s room. It doesn’t really seem like it’s both of their rooms, more likely just a place for your stepson to put his things on the weekends when he’s there. I’d worry that he doesn’t feel like this is home.

I think if it were me… I’d split the room down the middle and give him a twin sized bed then bring the baby into my room at night on the weekends so my stepson can feel like this is his room too. At least for the time being until we can get into a home that can accommodate everyone.

Your youngest is 2 so I’m assuming that this has been the arrangement for the last 2 years and your stepson still isn’t comfortable. 2 years is a long time to go feeling some sort of way, especially for a child

17 Likes

Sad to say but honestly
He is better off on the lounge
As no pre teen wants or likes to share a bedroom with a much younger sibling

5 Likes

He isn’t gonna want little brother in his space. Where I live it is illegal for them to share a room due to being more than 4 years apart in age, check your state laws.

7 Likes

Too big of a age gap to share a room. probably why your stepson is sleeping in the living room. Bunk beds are not safe for the two year old. Maybe you should let your stepson have the room and the two year old share with you, until you can get a bigger place.

13 Likes

Older kids do not want to share a room specially with a Toddler. The older one should have the room and the younger one stay in your room. Think about it would you want to be in a room with a Toddler ? No
Privacy. Probably has to be real quiet. It won’t be long before the older son will refuse to stay at your house. And I don’t blame him

11 Likes

id do bunk bed, but def don’t put 2yr old in ur room with u when hes over thatll .ess hes sleep up so bad especially if ur not really doing co sleeping. fuck all that. if he wants to sleep on the couch let him sleep on the couch. its really not that big of a deal. :woman_shrugging:t2: we got 3 kids between 3 n 8 and they on one room cause of all we can afford atm plus there’s no 3 bedrooms available and we won’t live in an apartment. we need a house. the room they are in is pretty big though so i have my oldest 2 bed on one side across from each other and my youngest is on the other side of the room :woman_shrugging:t2: theres nothing wrong with them sharing a room.

I’d talk to your oldest. At 11 he’s definitely old enough to express his feelings. See how he feels about the situation and any ideas he has. Try to compromise so he is happy also. When I was going to have my 4 and 10 yr old share a room I had planned to split the room in half for them to each have their own space. However my living room is huge so I put my living room area on one side and my 1 and 4 yr old have their own little “room” on the other.

I was in the same position with there being 9 years difference between my boys.
I know it’s not ideal, but with the cost of living today, having a home big enough seems impossible.
My boys had bunk beds, but when my older boy was hanging in the house, I let him have my room. He would watch TV, play Playstation, play his guitars and even had his drum kit in there. I made the sacrifice. He only really slept in his room but my room was his “space”.
It gave him privacy and peace away from the little ones.

I’m in this same situation, but I have 2 girls and 2 boys(1 stepson) we have 3 rooms for them. My stepson is 11 and only comes on the weekends. My girls are obviously with me full time and want separate bedrooms. My son is 1. What do you do? It’s a difficult situation. I was going to put my girls in separate rooms and the boys share. The only thing I was going to do is when my stepson is with us have my son sleep in the same room as my husband and I it’s only for a couple days anyway. Or do I tell my girls they have to share and listen to them argue 24/7?

1 Like

bunk bed centered and run a sheet from upper to lower mattress and you have a private area on both sides for 2!

1 Like

Get a bed with a trundle, pull it out if he wants to sleep on it and it saves space

He has a futon? Do you know how uncomfortable those things are? He has to share with his toddler brother and doesn’t even have a real bed?

1 Like

Nothing says I hate the step kid like a FUTON in a 2 year olds bedroom.

Possibly something like this for privacy.RIYDH Bed Tent Bed Canopy Twin Size Tents for Adult and Kids- Portable Dream Tent Indoor Sleeping Tents 70% Blackout with 3 Doors Breathable Big Space Tents https://a.co/d/38FGIae