If I go on vacation with the family I nanny for, would I need to watch their kids 24/7?

I’d say no thank you. Watching your kids while you’re off having a blast is.not my idea of a VACATION

Depends on your relationship with the children…although ask yourself are they genuine or are they taking advantage of you ?

Just talk to them ask questions. There’s nothing wrong with that

I would ask them what the terms of vacation are

1 Like

Hmm heres a idea ask them how the hell are we supposed to know

3 Likes

I would clarify before going! Let them know how you feel. Maybe you can just do a few nights, get a nights to urself and some days to yourself, make a plan with them or decline. 3 kids is a lot of work, it could be a lot of fun

1 Like

Uhhhh why don’t you just ask them??? This is one of the most ridiculous questions to be posted on the internet in a while lol…

Ask what’s expected and if there’s A pay difference and if you go make sure they realize it doesn’t count as any of your vacation time and you’re still entitled to any agreed upon vacation days.

2 Likes

Just saying though I think you would have different hours, most parent’s want to spend the days doing things with their kids on vacation and the nights they want to go out by themselves. its not rude to ask what’s expected.

1 Like

ummm…perhaps you should ask??

1 Like

I would hope not cause otherwise what’s the point of taking the kids on a family vacation if they are just gonna leave them with a nanny :woman_facepalming:t3:

5 Likes

when i went on vacation with the families i nannies for i would have the kids the whole time pretty much but its up to the parents cause one of my families i didnt watch the kids but one night the rest of the time i did everything with them like i was a family member

You need to ask your employer their expectations

4 Likes

You gotta speak to the family. Usually when people bring a nanny on vacation it’s so they can stay with the kids. With schedule time off. Ask before you go you may have no free time at all, you definitely aren’t going just to enjoy it the entire time.

ask! just ask them if it would be a working trip and what it would your responsibilities would be…just so everyone is clear from the start

I would ask the parents what the trip woild entail. How are we supposed to know what their intentions for you are

1 Like

If I was psychic lady, ida been won the lottery!! ASK the family you work for… how are WE supposed to know? :woman_facepalming:t4:

2 Likes

That sounds like a question you need to be asking them.

Clarify with the parents. They will clearly answer ur question, I’m sure.

Not everyones situation is the same so u shouldnt rely on public response to clarify something like this honestly I suggest u ask the parents and see what they had in mind and if it’s something that u and they will be comfortable with

3 Likes

Before you make plans and/or agree to go definitely ask them what is expected from you. Definitely also ask if the pay would be different since you will be traveling with them. Ask if you’ll have your own room, or if you would be sharing a room with the children. Ask if you would be able to go out on your own for some “you” time.

4 Likes

You know they are going to expect you to work the whole time definitely I would just tell lay the plan out before or if you go that if they expect you to work more then you normal hours they will have to pay for that because it’s obviously not a trip for you so don’t have them buy anything for you because I’m sure they will say it’s part of the payment and that never ends well :eyes:bring everything you will need for yourself including money for food ect ps

Uhmmm maybe talk with them and find out?? Ya know ask questions… :smirk:

1 Like

i would make sure the nanny got her free time
like pick a day to sight see with my kids

Ask them to clarify it. Most of the time it’s not 24/7 it’s different hour’s bc different schedule however it’s depending on what they need.

Just ask what the arrangements would be.

You need to ask them that question and then decide what you want to do. Only they can tell you what they expect.

That is something you need to ask them

ah… they will expect to to work all the time but may give you a few hours here and there.

Just ask ppl on here don’t know what they want

It’s not a vacation if you’ll be working. Why didn’t you just ask them directly?

Why dont you ask them lol

1 Like

That is a conversation to have before you agree to go.

Only way to know is to ask.

2 Likes

Ask them? The parents I worked for always gave me time in the evening and at least one day off

1 Like

I bring our nanny on vacation. We do not expect 24/7 care. However, we set clear expectations when we make the request for her to join us.

1 Like

Ask them they are the only ones to answer this question ?

3 Likes

Just ask them. It’s a pretty simple question and I’m sure they will give you a straightforward answer.

3 Likes

Ask them. If it’s extra work hours, it should also be extra wages.

1 Like

U need to ask the family tou work for what their expectations are for this not facebook​:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:ASK YOUR EMPLOYER

2 Likes

In today’s world
An extra set of eyes is always best.
I always go with my children on vacation. And I do most of the things with them.then I’m so tired I tell them to go out and i keep the kids.
At least one night or maybe 2 nights. While were on vacation.

I would ask them… we have no way of knowing that

2 Likes

Wouldn’t you just ask the family

3 Likes

Best advice, ask the parents.

2 Likes

How about you just ask them ? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I would ask the family what their expectations are of you and if you would be allowed to go out in your own without the kids. Typically a nanny that goes on trips has the kids for the majority of the time but is given certain days or hours off to do as they please.

1 Like

Just ask them what they will require from you during this trip.

1 Like

Talk to them I would think your regular hours

Especially ask about rather you’d get some perks from this trip other than watching them. Either way. Going on a trip like that would be beneficial for you. you’re still going out and doing adventures with kids you may not have had access to otherwise. Just ask for your sake and make an honest decision.

You need to ask your employers about their expectations. They would need to tell you the compensation if they want you to cover extra duties.

3 Likes

Just ask. I vacationed a few times with the family I nannied for. They even encouraged my boyfriend/fiance at the time to meet us in Charleston since he lived in Florida and we were in KY. I watched the kids mix or match (sometimes they would take the older one or two on whatever tour with them and I would keep the babies or I would keep them all while they went to an adult dinner) but it was never 24/7. Also, we were not limited to the hotel when the parents were out, I had car seats and could tour the town with the kids myself too.

Yes… they are paying you to come lol. But just ask?

Ask them what they expect.

When I nannyed, the families were upfront ab expectations. I was in charge of the kids 24/7. My “free trip” was their way of not paying more. I’d have my own space, and got time off to do my own thing, but it was their vacation, not mine. You need to ask if you’ll get your own room or if you’re rooming with the kids. If you’re getting paid regular hours or extra. Is your room and board free in exchange for working 24/7? Are they providing food? Will you be able to leave the kids and go out? Are you driving or riding? Nobody knows except them. Talk to them.

11 Likes

I was a nanny for a family of triplets for years, and would go on vacations with them. We would communicate all aspects of the trip, and the times I would be working with the children. When I was off, I was allowed to have “me” time, however, I would just have to let them know what I was doing, and when I would be back. It was a reapect thing. Communication is key. Just have an open, honest conversation with them

3 Likes

Best to ask what will be exploding of you in advance

Just clarify with them.

They probably would want you to watch the kids 24/7 so they could enjoy the vacation themselves

1 Like

I’ve done this and it was 24/7 all 3 vacations. It’s the one thing I’d never do again as a nanny.

I would assume just your regular hours unless they have plans to be with their children without involving you. But you should ask

Ask! I mean, common sense says to ask before going. Ask what you would be responsible for as well as what their expectations of you while there would be. I doubt they expect to take a family vacation and have their kids with the nanny 24/7, but if they’re paying for the trip, it might be expected for you to go above and beyond your normal 9-5.

4 Likes

Would definitely ask them what that entails… if they’re paying for the trip I would think they would want you with the kids as much as possible. Maybe not 24/7 but I’m sure they’ll want to go out to dinner alone a night or two…

How would will know talk to the parents see what they say 🤦

Ask them what your responsibilities will be. Only they can answer that.

1 Like

If its 24/7 I would expect pay to reflect that. Talk to them and tell them your normal schedule is paid at whatever rate and if they want more than that let them know what it will be as far as expenses go. Them offering you a free trip is not considered payment. They would be going either way and would need to find space for caregiver if they wanted to bring one along. This is for their convenience more than anything else.

2 Likes

I did that already for twins. She paid for all housing- rental and all food on trip w/ regular pay. I worked 7-7

I would ask to make sure. If they are paying your way and wages then I would expect you will be expected to be at their beck and call whenever they need you. I can’t imagine they’d pay you to go and pay your way and not expect that. You need to ask so it’s clear to all of you before committing. :smirk:

1 Like

I would just ask them what their expectations of you would be while there.

Well duh… ask them

How tf are we to know?! Just ask them… :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

You would have to discuss that with them. If so you should be paid more during the trip. I think other than maybe a dinner out you probably would have the same hours. Tell them you need the trip in writing for your taxes with everything included. Because you can write off anything you have to purchase for the trip IE appropriate bathing suit. Clothing to fit climate. Luggage
Vaccines if needed.
Have fun

3 Likes

If you don’t want to go I will! Haha

ask!! we can’t answer for them

6 Likes

Ask them. I’m sure they’d pay for you and a seperate room for you to stay in so when your off at 5 you could go out to eat or sight see or go to your room

That is something you definitely need to talk to them about!!!

Asked them. How would we know?

3 Likes

Make sure that the boundaries are set before you go, I expect it will be similar to your regular hours but maybe even more freedom as they will be on vacation lol

1 Like

I dont see the issue…free vacation plus paid. What does it matter if watch the kids 24/7 if that is your job?Paying a lot to take you along on top of your fees. Got to talk to them about it.

5 Likes

Before going, just ask what they will expect you to do while you are on vacation with them.

4 Likes

Did that once but once the parents were back I wasn’t needed. I still helped though. They were my main family that I babysat for,

Talk to them make
Some kind of Agreement or Schedule They asked you to come
For s reason Make sure you know were You Stand on This Vacation

Why not ask them? Ask what they are expecting of you if you come along? Would you be watching them at the usual schedule or if they have a different schedule for the trip? Have them be as clear as possible. And remember you aren’t obligated to say yes to them.

Stay back and enjoy your time off.

1 Like

If they are taking the kids and want a nanny to come with them, why not just save the expense and leave the kids at home?

Ask your employer not us

I’m sure you will be babysitting 24/7

She might be asking a general question so she’ll know how respond to the family. Sometimes it’s nice to feel more informed. Someone may have already “been there done that” and give her advice. :orange_heart:

2 Likes