I'm living a lice nightmare, help!

I’m not sure what to do at this point. My daughter has head lice and I’ve tried EVERYTHING. From over the counter, to home remedies, to even calling our family doctor and having him prescribe us something for it. Nothing is working for us. I comb through her hair daily, for hours and she’s over it. Which I don’t blame her, because I’m over it myself. I wash the bedding and vacuum daily as well. Just becoming overwhelmed. She has hair that’s past her butt and it’s insanely thick! I just feel like it’s impossibly at this point and I wanna cry. Looking for ideas to do, that worked for others, in case I didn’t try something! Thank you so much.

4 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I'm living a lice nightmare, help! - Mamas Uncut

Dependant on your daughter’s age, I would suggest a permanent hair dye. The peroxide will kill the little blighters, 100%.
Just pick one that’s as close to her natural colour so you won’t notice the regrowth

2 Likes

I have very similar hair to your daughter and I work in a primary school. I use a solution called Nitwits which you spray in, leave then wash out. You can comb through, but it isn’t needed to complete treatment. You can get it from most places, a few months ago I bought some from amazon as they were selling 2 bottles for a good price. All long haired stuffed toys also go on a 2 week long holiday quarantined just in case as well as the usual hot wash for bedding, towels…etc. I hope you crack it soon, my son picked them up just before school lockdown (typical) and it took about a month to get rid of them without us being in school.

I ended up using Vaseline on my daughters in the end who has very thick 3b/3c hair. it sounds a nightmare to get out but with a bottle of talc and lots of shampoo it did wash out and they never returned x

My mum got one of those nit combs that electrocutes the nits as you comb it through to get rid of mine when I was a kid. The problem was she would get rid of them and then I would just pick more back up at school. In the end my mum complained to the school to get me moved away from the child who had nits to start with and the school sent letters to all parents telling them to check if their child has nits haha

1 Like

When my daughter had them when I hair dried her hair they came to the surface and I got them with tweezers

My mum used the old school nit treatment, and use to soak my hair in white vinegar a day or so after! And I never wore my hair down for school always in a plait or braid and then she use to when doing that have white vinegar and water mixed in a spray bottle, and did my hair that way, and don’t wash it as much one or twice a week as they don’t like dirty hair too xx

I’ve used coke on my sons head, then i treated the eggs, i bagged the pillows & bedding for a few days& put them in the dryer , soak the brushes

Keep her hair in braids and smother it in tea tree for school. xx

1 Like

My son had long hair and we found that a certain nit comb worked it was one from the chemist a full metal one that has little twists in the teeth, and conditioner I had to go through his hair for over 4 hours a day. :frowning: but it did work good luck x

My mum used mayonnaise let us sit for an hour or 2 and then comb it all out as horrible as the smell was I never got them again!

Sounds weird but the only thing that worked for me when I was young was Vaseline. I’d tried al the over the counter treatments, tea tree, conditioner and combing etc. But be prepared to use A LOT of shampoo to get it out. Preferably do it on a weekend where you can hop in and out of the shower a few times if needs be

Section her hair and use nitty gritty comb constantly go over the patch you’ve done start from bottom as u add the sections together keep going through it as a whole

I suggest NitNot
My daughter was the same and I tried everything but when I tried this you’d swear she had no lice at all
It’s amazing stuff xx

Douse head in mouthwash then tie a carrier bag around it leave for a bit then comb out with something abit smelly to knock out any survivors and slippy to slide the eggs out like lavender oils or vinegar

1 Like

Tea Tree Oil shampoo. The smells is so strong but they hate it

Liquid tea tree oil

Bowl of warmish water with a few drops of tea tree oil in it and dip comb into it and threw hair nits hate hot/warm water and tea tree

I had this problem as a teenager. I convinced my mom it had to be IN my mattress. She finally got rid of the mattress and never had lice again.

Pulp free orange juice. I tried everything on my niece and nothing worked. I soaked her hair in the orange juice, let it sit for an hour, washed it out and did conditioner and comb through. No more nits and the eggs just slid out… I only say Pulp free as the pulp can get stuck in the hair

Dog shampoo is very good :joy:

They hate dirty hair so don’t wash her hair every day only once a week …

Tea tree shampoo and leave in conditioner stops them coming back

Nitwit from tesco we haven’t seen them since

1 Like

look not the best solution but my mum got to the fed up point and put kerosene through my hair, nothing ever came back :joy:

1 Like

Nitty gritty comb! 100% then snother in conditioner and go through every night. Worked for My 4 x

Apparently vodka kills them. Iv only ever used hedrin on my children, and then I buy the vosene 3in1 lice repellent shampoo and then the spray every day and it’s kept them away x

If you don’t want to cut her hair, I suggest an buzz undercut all alongest the base of her neck. So much easier with that being their favorite spot!

Loads of conditioner and this comb worked a treat

Sounds strange, but get her to rub her head against a wall/hard surface and it will kill them all on the head and then combed it out! Gross but works :+1:

Vinegar works if it’s that bad id leave it over night, after you’ve washed it out leave conditioner in and use nitty gritty comb (brush while washing too) 🖒