Is giving birth easier after each birth?

Those of you who have 3 or more kiddos is it true that each kid you have is a shorter labor each time? My first was 22 hours, my second was 3 hours from start to finish and I’m not due in July with my second. My dr said something about sending me to the university in my area due to my weight(I’m chunky ) and from my house it’s between an hour and a half to two hours away and I’m freaking out that I’m not even going to make it. I even joked with my dr that my husband is going to have to learn how to deliver the baby in the car because it’s going to come so fast and dr was like yea you might have to. I’m only 12w2d but I’m so stressed about this already.

6 Likes

1st - 9 hrs. 2nd - 9 hrs. 3rd - 2 hrs

No I’ve given birth to 3 now and I’ve heard that saying before to but I have the longest labors ever each time mine get longer , I’m jealous of the ppl who have fast and easy labor but it’s different for everyone and each baby honestly! It definitely was not easier for me but as I said everyone has different experiences either way I wish you the best and safest and an easy labor girl !!

Absolutely not my 1st was 2 hours start to finish my 2nd was 18 hours and my 3rd was 36 got harder with each one

1st- 23 hours (induced at 41)
2nd - 8 hours (38 weeks)
3rd- prodomal labor for 2 weeks and then 13 hour labor (induced on my due date)

I feel it’s really dependent on your body and there’s no need to panic :slight_smile:

I have 4 kids. My first was 12

My 1st was 12 hours, 2nd was like 6(?), 3rd was 1 hour from start to finish and I was fighting the push urge on my way to my midwife.

My first was short and fast and natural (3 hours once my water broke). My second ended up being an emergency C-section. My third was over after 30+ hours and I ended up getting an epidural. So I definitely didn’t have it easier for each…

1st: 5hrs active
2nd: csection due to breech.
3rd: 2hrs 48mins active
4th: 9hours active.

None have been exactly easy :woozy_face:

Shorter, yes. Easier, definitely not. I was able to get an epidural with my first child. My second pregnancy was twins and they barely gave me time to get to the hospital before making an appearance. Third pregnancy wasn’t as quick as the second, but still happened too fast for an epidural or any other pain relief.

I had to wear an oxygen mask while giving birth the second and third times because the pain was so intense I kept passing out. Definitely the worst things I’ve ever been through physically, but obviously worth it in the end.

2 Likes

no. my first baby was about 4 hours of hard labor, second was 11 and my 3rd 2. it’s allover

Nope. First was 4 hours and 2nd was about 13.

Nope, first was 2.5hrs, hard, fast labour. Second was a 6 hour, calm, relaxed labour.

I had 3 - first one I was in labor 16 hours . 2nd ) only 5 or so 3rd ) I was in labor two DAYS !!! 48 hours ! It was back labor which I had never had and I thought she’d never come out

My longest labor was my third child

All 4 of my births got easier each time! My last was minutes away from being born in the car! My last 2 were so fast I didn’t have time to get an epidural! I’m sure not all are the same, but for me they definitely got easier!

My 1st 6 hours 2nd 4 hours 3rd 4hours 4th 20 min 5th 3 days

1st induced at 39w2d and 48 hours of labor. 2nd one induced at 38w5d and had 24 hours of labor. My first I wasnt progressed at all when I went in. My 2nd I was 3cm dilated

I was in labor for 32 hrs with my second before a c-section so not always

Mine got longer 11 hrs with first 13.5 with second and 15 with my last then C-section

Yes sometimes it all depends. But you should probably stay somewhere close to the hospital before you are due. I live two hours away from closet hospital and that’s what the hospital recommended and advised me to do.

My 1st took about 11 hours but i feel like the induction plus epidural played a roll in the labor time
2nd took 45 mins
3rd took 54 mins
And 4th took 3 hours(got an epidural so again feel like this played a part)

No. It depending on fetus size, position, and your body. Each birth was more painful than the last for me, and each labor was about the same length of 12 ish hrs.

Not true, my fifth was the longest

Oh how niave we can be. As a mom of many, every labor and pregnancy is different. My 3rd being the fastest at 4 hours. 1st 9 hours, 2nd 8 hours, 4th was a whooping 36 hours and i ran a fever during labor. 5th 12 hours! So no they dont get faster and easier. Maybe seemingly when you see my 3rd but it was all a facade. And the piece de resistance my 6th was a stillborn at 35w6d due to placenta abruptiom it was an emergency csection. Didnt see that one coming? Yeah neither did i.

Five kids, five different labours.

My first was easier but longer (was cut)
My second I almost bled out and tore from the inside out.

Both my kids came within the same time frame (8 hours) & the second took a little less pushing (both short though). But the contractions were much heavier/harder with my second.

First was 48 hours 2nd was 5 hours 3rd was 12 hours 4th was 16 hours

Pushing wise yes!
My 1st- took 21 minutes to push
My 2nd-took 2 minutes to push
My 3rd-didn’t have to push, fetal ejection reflex caused my body to push her out without any of my effort

Wasn’t true for me only one of my 5 labour’s was shorter he was born in about 40m (I was induced a week past my dd) my labour’s actually got more difficult each time to a point for different complications but all my labour’s except the 1 were at least 8hrs

Shorter and easier if they are
Closer together in age.
I have a 10yr gap between my older 5 and younger 2. Younger 2 were harder births due to age gap & not giving birth in so long.

My births were getting longer each time lol. My first baby water broke at home and she came 6 hours later. Progressed so fast on own. 2nd baby I had a 14 hour labor and water had to be broken at hospital to progress it. 3rd baby water didn’t break for almost 18 hours so broke water once again by hospital staff to progress. I’m pregnant with baby 4 now and I’m already preparing for a long 18+ hour labor with him. All I know is once my water breaks… the baby just comes out in 5 minutes or sooner.

I had four. I do think they were shorter, but easier…no. I was terrified every single time. But we are awesome and our bodies power through it.

Every birth is unique. My first and eighth were my hardest births

My first was 4 hours second was 4 1/2 hours and my third was 5 hours. All mine were short and pretty easy but my last was a lot longer because they had to induce me due to high blood pressure and he was face up instead of face down so I layed in a bed for 15 hours without making any progress on medicine. Finally after they gave me something in my cervix he came pretty fast

First delivery I stalled at 3 then all of a sudden 5 hours later I went to 10 in less than a half hour. So 5 hours for my first 3 hours for my second and maybe an hour and a half for the last one so for me it got faster, but boy I couldn’t see it being long and drawn out like others I’ve heard

I’ve given birth 4 times, 3 natural and my first was when I was 16 years old. I got an epidural so it was by far my longest and hardest labor but with my second baby I had to be induced, it was still a pretty long labor but pushing wise all my labors were quick and fast. The only thing that was worse was the after birth cramps :pleading_face::weary:!!!

My first was coming to early we tried to stop labor spent 6 days in labor trying to stop it before they gave up and let him come. My second I went to the hospital was only dilated to a 3 and they came in to give me discharge papers and I was crowning, barely had time to catch her. My third and fourth were c sections due to complications from my third. Birth is different every time. Your body does know what to do and is usually better at it the more it happens, but things happen. You can plan for it and something comes out of left field.

First was 25 hours, 2nd was about 9-10, 3rd was 7-8 hours

My first was 2 hours start to finish. My second was 18 hours my 3rd was 11 hours.

Subsequent births COULD give you a faster birth but nothing really predicts that. But easier birth, no. Each labor and delivery is completely different!

They’re all different. I’ve had 5.

Absolutely not the case for me!
I have 4 boys. 1st was 10 hours with almost a hour of pushing, 2nd was 6 hours with 30 mins of pushing, 3rd was 5 DAYS with 20 mins of pushing and 4th was a emergency c-section because he got stuck and his heart rate dropped :pleading_face:

1st - 8hrs
2nd - 2hrs
3rd - 1 1/2hrs
4th - 12 hrs
It all depends on baby :woman_shrugging:

True in my case my last I started labour at 4.30pm and had my son at 5.25pm

A friend had two kids, one 38 yrs ago and one 40 yrs ago and she labored for almost 24 hrs with each and eventually ended up in emergency c sections

I only have two babies.
First I labored for 24+ hours, including pushing for 3. I was induced, got the epidural at 6cm, had him vaginally.
Second I had been laboring at home that morning and finally went in at 2pm (ish). No induction, but did get the epidural at 6cm again, had him that night just before 11pm after 11minutes of pushing.

I also had a way better support system and the staff at the hospital was way more involved and personable with me which I think made a huge difference.

I’ve got 7 my 1st was the longest at 45 mins from start to finish. My 3rd I had no pains I stepped in to the bathroom and my waters broke her head was there no contractions at all scary but quick. My last i was started off but nothing happened until the nxt day was in Labour for 30 mins and was brutal x

:-1: no all are hard, perhaps in different ways.

My first was born in 5h22m. My second was born in 2h16m. I say yes. But not everyone is the same.

My due date told to me with first was 23rd had 21st and walked in hospital around 5am. Had 4 hrs an d 50 minutes later. My 2nd was 2 weeks over due was induced at 7pm and delivered 5 minutes to midnight so 11:55pm. My 3rd a week over also induced I thought she was never gonna come out longest labor and delivery can’t even remember time got induced she was born a little after 1am.

It all depends on the babys position sadly

No all births are different

My bio mom…we live 30 min from hospital. She had contractions for two hrs until they got about 20 min apart and then she left for the hospital and she was checked in and in a room and 20 min later I was born so she only really labored and pushed for 20 minutes. My sister after me was an hr and the sister after her was 15 minutes…still lived a half hour from hospital and the last sister was born not long after walking into the hospital. She never had enough brains to leave early enough when contractions started so that way she would give birth in a car lol. Doctors told her the time keeps getting shorter she should maybe consider not having anymore lol.

And when I was pregnant I was having a planned c section and that morning I checked in at 5am for my noon c section. Doctor all checked me out down there and all was great so they started to get me all hooked up to machines to monitor heartbeats etc. about a half hr later the nurse was like so you feel that…I didn’t feel anything…so she peaked and
my delivery was moved up to right then because i was having contractions a few minutes apart and was already dilating…and I have no feeling in my back and heart problems so they rushed me in right away because I was high risk and couldnt feel anything so they couldn’t risk something happening to us. So my son would have been a very short labor as well. I wouldn’t count on times being shorter each time.

It depends, my last was my worst and longest labour.

If your health is good otherwise then I don’t see his concerns. Is your bp staying good? Have you had any preeclampsia issues? How about your glucose? Just because you are heavier is a ridiculous reason to make you travel so far in my opinion. If he was concerned about your size he should have sent you somewhere else right away so you could be familiar with the Drs. etc. Heavier women give birth everyday and do just fine. The risk of you giving birth a long the highway somewhere seems more worrisome to me.