Is it common for babies to stop wanting bottles so much after they start solids?

Is it common for a baby to stop finishing bottles when they start eating baby food? My daughter is about to be eight months & started eating baby food around a month ago… she eats oatmeal & fruit baby food in the morning and then half a jar of fruits & half a jar of veggies throughout the day, then her oatmeal before bed again. But she has cut back on the amount of formula she’s eating. Is there a good way to make sure she’s getting everything she needs?

4 Likes

Cut back on solids, formula/Bm is their main source of nutrition until age 1!

6 Likes

It is common. Mom of 6.

1 Like

My son started solids at around 6 months because he was so big that formula wasn’t enough for him. Once he did start eating solids, his formula intake declined about half the amount as normal. Doctor said he was fine and still healthy as a horse. This is him now at 17 months.

2 Likes

I would cut back on food and make formula/breast milk the priority until 1

Of course because LO is getting full on food. I also offered formula/ BM then after offered solids.

Yeah it’s normal. Bottles won’t get finished if she’s already full on food.

Of course she’s going to cut back on formula. Shes getting full on food. If your really concerned cut back on food. Don’t try to make her eat/drink when she’s over full.

General rule food before 1 is just for fun so if you notice shes not wanting bottles then maybe cut an oatmeal out as that is the most filling food in your schedule. She still will get oatmeal just not twice. Its completely normal and once the food stretches her stomach you’ll notice she’ll take bottles & want more food.

1 Like

yes, the food is filling their tummies up so they don’t have as much room for the same amount of formula

Yep my 2 youngest were off the bottle before 1 but they still had there formula on a sippy cup

Yes it is!

Use there milk when your making anything that requires milk, she will get everything she needs from yogurts and diary stuff and other foods

1 Like

My beeb been doing the same, we mix formula with her cereal and fruity baby foods

You gotta give her a bottle first, then the solids. If you give her solids first and finish the meal with a bottle she wont drink as much.

3 Likes

Food before one is just for fun. Formula/breastmilk needs to be primary nutrition until 1.

2 Likes

My oldest son is almost 4 and he would live on milk if he could. My younger is 18 months. He fought the bottle as soon as he was introduced to solids and still doesn’t drink much milk.

My baby started solids about a month ago and is 7 months. She eats about 4 bottles of formula 1 1/2 jars of baby food and oatmeal and rice. We’ve also been trying to get her started on sippy cup training with water(as recommended by her doctor).

Yes it’s common, you can cut back a little on solids. Are you making the oatmeal with formula? Maybe give him formula in a sippy cup.

Cut back on solids. Breastmilk/formula has to be the main source of nutrition until baby is at least 1.

1 Like

I always researched that you give the bottle first, that’s where they get the full nutrition and then food till one year

Per my pediatrician and online sources, you should be offering formula/breastmilk first, and then top them off with the food up until they’re 12 months. Dont give food first and then offer milk, because milk needs to be their main nourishment for proper brain development.

Absolutely. As long as she’s continuing to thrive her body is doing what it’s designed to do, getting nutrients and filling the belly with solids. She’s full mama

Its normal to cut back a little.
Try scheduling the bottles around her meals or give the bottle first if you’re concerned.

Both my girls stopped. My eldest rejected formula completely at 10mo and nothing worked to try and get her to drink it again. My 11mo is doing the same thing now. She will drink some but she’s losing interest in her formula.

Yes it’s common. The same thing happened with my son. Our pediatrician said as long as I could get him to drink 20 oz of formula a day that we’d be fine. He’s a chunky kid and LOVES food so I didn’t cut back on his food.

Perfectly normal :ok_hand:
:heart: She is eating food now and needs less liquid (as a meal). This will gradually taper off even more and within a few months, she may or may not want much milk at all in her bottle. Keep giving her the fruits and vegetables. You can even purée vegetables yourself if you want. She will love that.

She will stop taking so much fluid (bottle) because the solids are filling up her belly.

1 Like

Yes sweetheart that is perfectly normal. Keep up the great work. No question is ever a dumb question.

4 Likes

Absolutely. I have 4 kiddos and the bottles came to a complete stop almost immediately

Start eating baby food and usually done with bottle. At least mine were

When a baby beings eating baby foods…you just do NOT give them as much formula - because food is replacing it. It’s just like when you eat a meal…the food fills your stomach and you drink less liquids.

2 Likes

Yes. Solids will make the baby fuller.

As long as there is not a decrease in her wet diapers then she should be fine. Each bottle is basically a meal. If you are feeding her 3-4 meals then on average a baby will take 2-3 bottles less throughout the day.

If she is eating solids then Yes it is normal to cut back on bottle. Her little tummy is full

My 10 month old has cereal spoon fed in d morning, fruit, and his food, then a fruit, food cereal, food and cereal jus before his evening nap. He refuses a bottle😔

That’s completely normal. Oatmeal and baby food is more filling so they dont need as much formula to feel full.

Yes its normal, shes getting enough food that the bottles would have been doing before the spoon feeds. My sons bottles cut down to water with meals and his milk with breakfast, afternoon and bedtime, now hes turned 1 he only gets 1 formula for bedtime as hes eating 3 meals a day and a snack midday before his nap. 24oz a day is maximum for formula and 17oz minimum a day so as long as shes drinking 17oz at least a day shes grand, give her water with likes of lunch and dinner

They cut back on formula bottles when eating baby food.

Maybe you are giving her too much food.