Is It Gross to Let a Dog Lick Out of a Bowl Before It's Washed?

This question was submitted to our community via our Facebook page and/or our Answers forum. Responses are also taken from the community. If you have your own parenting or relationship question you would like answers to, submit on Facebook or Answers.

QUESTION:

"So I grew up in a black household my girlfriend is white I get that we are from different backgrounds so we had a bbq yesterday and I came into the kitchen to see her dog licking out the potato salad bowl I threw a fit saying that was nasty she said what’s the big deal it gonna be washed am I over reacting or was she out of line"

RELATED: FKA twigs Recalls ‘Horrific’ Racist Abuse From Ex Robert Pattinson’s Die-Hard Fans

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

The following top answers have been selected by a moderator from hundreds of responses to the original question.

"I let my dog lick meat plates. Sometimes. Although not necessarily a potato salad bowl because onions are bad for dogs."

"Nah it’s good. It’s gonna be washed. Overreacted a bit there but I get it you were surprised"

"Gross. The dogs have a bowl for a reason."

"Lol I get it… it’s gross."

"My husband was the same way. I threw out the dishes. Love my dogs but they are not eating off my dishes"

"Overreacting lol. That dogs mouth is cleaner than either of you guys and it will be washed after. Don’t sweat it lol."

"I’m white. Grew up with that as a normal thing now I’m grown we have 8 dogs and they are not allowed to touch our dishes…or lick my kids mouths, which is another white ppl. Thing"

"It all depends there isn’t a right or wrong with it either way I wouldn’t let my animal eat off my plate or anything else it’s a personal preference"

"I don’t allow it but I know people who do"

"I’m Mexican and my bf is white. He also let our dog lick bowls and plates before washing. I had the same initial reaction! It took some getting use to but now I’m use to it. I can totally see why you feel that way but I don’t think it’s something to end a relationship over."

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW: