Is it normal for a kindergarten teacher to do this?

Lol a kindergarten teacher expecting Picasso out of the 5 yr Olds she taught for 2 weeks? :joy:
Sheā€™s clearly teaching the wrong age group if she wants perfection. Expecting a 5 yr old to stay within the lines is like expecting a 2 yr old to sit perfectly still for 10 minutes. Not gonna happen. If it is legitimately for colouring out of the lines I definitely would feel some type of way about it. Thatā€™s ridiculous.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s not cool and weā€™d be having a chat. Itā€™s a coloring sheet and they are five.

Uhm no. Thatā€™s ridiculous

My daughter is in pre school and the teacher told the class they would get a lollipop when they learn the days of the week. My kid cried all the way home bc teacher didnā€™t give her a lollipop but two other students did. I was livid and didnā€™t think it was fair at all. Theyā€™re three and donā€™t understand but my mom told me " so if youā€™re kid is in gymnastics and there is a competition do you think your child should get a trophy just bc other students won 1st or second trophy? " made me realize she has to learn somehow all her teacher wanted is to motivate her to learn her days of week we donā€™t get trophy if we donā€™t win periodā€¦ she recited her days of the week by the end of the next school day and got a lollipopā€¦

13 Likes

My kid is in grade 1 and canā€™t color in the lines yet. That seems extreme!

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna be honest hereā€¦ probably unpopular opinion too but I am 35 and remember clear as day my kindergarten teacher lightly swatting my hands and giving sad faces if I colored out of the lines or twisted my paper around different directions and honestly I appreciate it now! It caused me to focus better and try harder to stay in the lines and produce the cleanest work I could. I wish my children wouldā€™ve been corrected by their teachers early on because one is now 13 and her penmanship and coloring skills are crap! She just doesnā€™t have that sense of importance that my teacher lit in me. :woman_shrugging:t2:

10 Likes

We teach our kids itā€™s ok to color outside the lines. We want them to think outside the box. And to not be contained. I would be ticked.

3 Likes

The teacher doesnā€™t sound as if she has had any good education in what to expect from that age group or how to motivate them & teach them well.

Itā€™s kindergarten. Why are kids being graded?!

2 Likes

If coloring within the lines was the objective, a sad face is a method of showing a grade

8 Likes

Why would she do thatā€¦ Bring it to their attention to work on. Donā€™t use tactics that cause insecurities.

1 Like

This is the problem with the world these day, everyone thinks they are entitled to participation trophies. How do you expect a child to learn if they just get a good job on everything they do weather itā€™s right or wrong :thinking: For example; when potty training, do you give your kid a sticker everytime they sit on the potty or just when they use it? How would they learn if they get a sticker every single time they sit down on it vs going to the potty? If the student was instructed to color inside the lines (which is something simple that is being taught) how would they know they didnā€™t follow the proper instructions if she just gives everyone a happy face? I would just explain to the child what they did not correctly do and work with them on what to do. Seems more logical than getting mad about it.

11 Likes

Heā€™s 5 leave him alone heā€™ll get it

2 Likes

This is like the 5th time I seen a post like this since school started Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s a new kindergarten thing this year?ļæ¼

They expect way too much my son was denied to go to kindergarten because he didnā€™t color inside the lines they made him go to pre k instead. Like wtf seriously :expressionless:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a little much they are just a child

Thatā€™s ridiculous. Iā€™d have a word with the teacher

2 Likes

My nephew is 5 and donā€™t color in lines we correct him we say great job buddy just try to do inside lines next time

No no no. That is terrible.

My boss told a lady we work with to go back to Mexico if she didnā€™t under stand or rules then mocks her when to try to talk

1 Like

I know I will get come cruel remarks about this comment but thatā€™s fine, Iā€™m just old fashionā€¦I think some people expect to much out of little children that age. Babies need to be babies for a while and not made to be adults before itā€™s time to be adultsā€¦

7 Likes

I have been a teacher for 17 years (one year in k) and I would never put a sad face on a paper. I would be upset :rage: as a parent.

7 Likes

No. Definitely not okay.

2 Likes

That teacher has issues

2 Likes

Thatā€™s uncalled for - nope :-1:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not normal and is so sad to hear an educator shame a 5 year old over coloring :woman_facepalming: please assure your child there is nothing wrong with what they did, things just take practice and to keep trying their best because as long as they try to do their best at this stage thatā€™s all that matters. Try working on coloring and staying inside the lines at home as well. Iā€™d also be emailing their teacher about this so you can have a face to face conversation about how uncalled for that type of behavior from a kindergarten teacher. If she has concerns she should be emailing you expressing them, not putting sad faces on your kids work. Thereā€™s other more mature ways she could have dealt with this

2 Likes

Id turn it into a happy face and hang it on the fridge and Iā€™d be having a word with that teacher. Thats completely rediculous.

4 Likes

Absolutely not. Positive encouragement will be far more beneficial than criticism at that age. They are still developing their motor skills which takes time and practice. Id be asking if this kind of teaching is in their policies and practices or if itā€™s just this teacher.
Some people may say not a big deal but the method in which we teach young people IS a big deal. You want to foster a love for learning and build up a childā€™s confidence not continually knock them down

5 Likes

A good teacher never does a sad face

4 Likes

Children starting out their first schooling year, need positivity. They donā€™t need a low self esteem.

3 Likes

Absolutely not, why would a teacher shame a 5 year old?!? Iā€™d be pissed off

4 Likes

Terrible teaching. A couple years ago my son who has learning disabilities was picked on by his teacher. I caught her, my husband caught her and my boss caught her! (During remote learning!) When I literally told her off during a video chat, she completely ended the conversation and we agreed she wouldnā€™t bring it up againā€¦ well she did bring it up again, accused him of the same thing we all knew he didnā€™t do and believe me by the end of the year she did not like me. You really need to watch out for teachers. Some are phenomenal, I could name more good teachers than bad to be honest. However Some are real bullyā€™s when you donā€™t pay attention to how they treat your child.

If you donā€™t like this teachers methods, ask for a new one for your child. I am so glad we have switched to a school that teachers are ABA trained. So much better than our previous school. These teachers donā€™t teach kids just their way. They teach them the way the kids learn.

3 Likes

Has anyone seen kindergartners coloring they all are out of linesā€¦from seeing the walls at my daughters school in kindergarten thatā€™s pretty normal coloringā€¦

2 Likes

She must be old school. In my day they would do that.when I got a smiley face sure made me happy

2 Likes

Supposed to encourage not make a child feel like a failure ā€¦wow!! As an educator, parent and grandparent, I am definitely against this. Learning is a process

3 Likes

Nope my daughter is kindergarten an she isnā€™t always in the lines. thatā€™s not normal most kindergarteners color outside the lines I would say something.

2 Likes

Uncalled for. I homeschool for this and many other reasons!

No, never! What in the actual hell is wrong with teachers these days!!:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s horrible!!! They are so young and learning still! Teach them how to the right way and tell them how proud you are for their effort with a happy face! My daughter was in first grade last year and she is a young version of her grade and I know she is very strong willed and stubborn and a little firecracker and I did warn this teacher about this but she picked on her the whole year! It was awful! Get him/her a new teacher! Talk to the school

Are you kidding me?:woman_facepalming:t3: sensitive!

2 Likes

I spoke to a teacher that did that to my child (now 40 year old, very artistic designer), for a coloring sheet, as well! Thankfully, I was able to state my opinion calmly, she listened, and the rest of the year went well. (Sometimes I think it is the new teachers that donā€™t have children of their own), may need a little reality check.

3 Likes

I always preferred to put a smiley face or a sticker on work that was done correctly/well, rather than focusing on the negative. But, yes, depending on the assignment and the specific instructions, this is normal grading for the littles.

Iā€™ve never had this happen with my kids. Iā€™d be upset, as well. Itā€™s only the second week, and I feel like this is just discouraging to Kindergarten age kids.

I would like to think its never appropriate this is upsetting to me.

2 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s not okayā€¦

A lot of teachers now expect them to come in and do everything themselves and know all the material. A few yrs ago teachers at a local school told them they would not even help tie their shoes bc they should know how!

1 Like

I mean exactly how bad was it?

1 Like

My daughter is in pre k and has a older teacherā€¦ she does the same or puts did not follow instructions when she colors out side of the lines

Yeah I would be having some words with that teacher. No one especially a teacher should be making a KINDERGARTEN feel bad like that or in any shape. I would not stand for that and would be removing my child from her classroom immediately

2 Likes

Teacher sounds tacky and unprofessional

3 Likes

Iā€™d be a little peeved. Like why kill creativityā€¦ unless itā€™s being graded (which it shouldnā€™t be) why does it matter how they color?

4 Likes

Normal depending on the model they are using and what behavior the child was displaying during activity. If the child CAN color in the lines but does not do so due to behavioral issues

2 Likes

I mean to me, it sounds normal depending on what the childā€™s behavior was like and if they intentionally did it because they were ā€œgoofing offā€, not paying attention, not taking their time to just rush to do the next activity, etc. As a parent you may see a sad face but thereā€™s another story than just the teacher putting a sad face on that coloring sheet. If it would make you feel better, have a conversation with your kiddos teacher

2 Likes

Makes me not want to put my child in school, I have to figure something out

I never had that happen but Iā€™d take a smiley / sad face over whatā€™s happening to my daughter. Sheā€™s in 1st grade n she told me that her teacher screams at kids and one day she said the kids are so frustrating and she had to step out of the classroom for a breather. Some people need to rethink their career choices.

4 Likes

That was uncalled for, their suppose to encourage the kids

2 Likes

No itā€™s not ok. Teachers should be encouraging their students not making them upset over trying. I see a lot this though. Some educators like to have power trips over students & even parents. Then we wonder why kids are bullying young & getting into fights in school.

1 Like

Shame on that teacher.

2 Likes

Every teacher is different. Every teacher has their own way of doing things. Sounds like husband needs a sad face

3 Likes

No it is not nasty teacherā€¦

Maybe find different work. Their children. Come on

I agree, kindergarten is the year for encouragement and learning those things, not just being expected to do so. My son never once colored exactly how he was supposed to and his teachers always encouraged him cause heā€™s artsy.

My child is currently in kindergarten and this is not okay! Do they really expect them to color in the lines ? Itā€™s art maybe child likes the colors outside the lines itā€™s called Art . I would totally be upset by this and I personally donā€™t know how to hold my tongue so the school would definitely hear about this ! Itā€™s not like the teacher sent a note home stating students needs a little extra help at home in shapes , letters ,colors ect itā€™s fucking coloring

Noā€¦are you FREAKING Joking!!!

No thatā€™s just stupid why would you put a sad face when theyā€™re trying to color they are learning thatā€™s what theyā€™re supposed to do at that age not be perfect

Not okšŸ‘ŽšŸ¼ā€¦ not all teachers are great, Iā€™ve learned that many times over.

Teacher is a jerk. So a 6 year old canā€™t stay in the lines. Time to call the authorities.

1 Like

Everyone on here is saying that the teacher shouldnā€™t be working with children? That the teacher should find a different line of work? Why donā€™t all of you go be teachers? And why hasnā€™t anyone said the obvious? Teach your child to color inside the lines! Then they wonā€™t get a sad face and make daddy mad! Is dad gonna throw a fit and go up to the school? If his child fails a test? ļæ¼ļæ¼Teach your children that sometimes itā€™s OK to feel disappointment. The teacher would like for you to do better next time. Thatā€™s called growth. Which it sounds like this teacher would foster! This is why there is so many entitled disrespectful young people in the world today? Because when they might actually have some type of a feeling that the ā€œparentā€ cannot handle. Everyone comes in and says that the teacher should not be a teacher anymore.! You all have, won :1st_place_medal: Because there is a major shortage of teachers! I donā€™t blame them! Look at all the disrespect that they get! Iā€™m tired of it! ļæ¼ļæ¼ļæ¼

15 Likes

Wtf? No thatā€™s not ok

1 Like

Shame on that teacherā€¦(thats my opinion) the teacher is supose to help them learn and Inspire themā€¦besides some of the greatest artist color outside the linesā€¦art is supose to be an expression of oneā€™s self. Not othersā€¦I would be an un happy camper in this situation as wellā€¦I say speak with the teacher and let her know how you feel about itā€¦then I would speak with my child. And let them knowā€¦if they did their best then that was a great jobā€¦reguardless of what the teacher out on that paper

1 Like

No. This is not acceptable at all. The child is in K for goodness sake. They are learning. They are not going to color inside the line. The teacher needs to be encouraging. You need to be having a major talk with this teacher and whomever is over said teacher. Asap!!!

2 Likes

Yes it is normal. All 4 of my children went through that.

3 Likes

I tell my son that his paper is incorrect and he needs more practice with coloring. I personally donā€™t see anything wrong with it. They need to know what they do wrong so they can fix it.

9 Likes

Uh I hv been teaching preschool for 19 years and a mentor for teachers for 2 years and personally do NOT think drawing a sad face on a students coloring paper is appropriate or nice. I would be upset and nicely ask the teacher to explain her thinking about why she did that and let her know that you do not want her to draw sad faces on yr childā€™s coloring paper and to come up with other positive ways to teach the student to color in the lines. SMH definitely not ok, and especially if your child said something or it hurt their feelings. Speak up but nicely and talk to teacher.

4 Likes

Some teachers can be cruel
Simply teach your child
It doesnā€™t matter if they stay in the lines or not
Whatā€™s important is they enjoyed colouring in

Iā€™m in my 50ā€™s and donā€™t always get it in the lines

Why would that not be okay? Sheā€™s a teacher, she grades papers accordingly! If the kid colored outside of the line then the picture was colored wrong. Why would she lie that it wasnā€™t?! This whole comment thread is pathetic. When my child messes up I expect her teacher to TEACH herā€¦

10 Likes

If they were supposed to color in the lines well :woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

Nope, teacher is a real piece of work. Soooo happy we homeschool our kids

3 Likes

Absolutely not needed - they will learn slowly but steadily to follow the instructions - till then only those who have patience should be called a TEACHer

2 Likes

That is absolutely ridiculous. I would be wondering how she treats those babies.:sob:

2 Likes

That is not okay! You need to have a conference with her and tell her so.

2 Likes

When I was in playgroup I was 3.5 years old and my teacher literally slapped me on my face because the color got out of the line and also one time when I slept during classā€¦I never slept in class after that thoughā€¦some teachers are just miserable

3 Likes

I taught kindergarten for 15 years before becoming a SAHM. The answer is no. That wasnā€™t even a skill I taught. I taught academics.

4 Likes

Hell no that ainā€™t normal.

2 Likes

Go to your childā€™s teacher and let her know how unacceptable it is and that if she continues this kind of action, You will also be taking The Proper Action!!!

1 Like

I could see putting a happy face and writing " good job but try to stay in the lines next time" def seems a bit harsh given the age of the student

2 Likes

I would b absolutely pissed! Not acceptable at all. Teachers are to teach not degrade our children

3 Likes

I am 35 and I remember them doing it to mine as a child.

2 Likes

No, THAT IS NOT OKAY!!

Boo-hiss to that teacher!!

4 Likes

Thatā€™s definitely not ok

2 Likes

This is done to help the kid learn. To show them they did the assignment incorrectly and also the assignment was to color inside of the lines for a reason. This shows a childā€™s coordination, dexterity, ability to follow directionsā€¦It has a lot more underlying it usually. A frowny face will upset a child yes, BUT will also cause them to strive for the smiley they want.

9 Likes

No not good teaching skills

Hell no, it is not normal. Iā€™d have been in that school fast.

In this case, she is out of line. The child is only in kindergarten. A sad hear does not encourage.

1 Like

Itā€™s ok just show your kid hey you wasnā€™t suppose to color out of the lines. Next time color in the linesā€¦ bed you get a smile.

2 Likes

That person should NOT be a teacher!!!

That a big no.She should understand as a teacher they are still learning.:smiling_face_with_tear:

Itā€™s her job to teach the kids how to do things correctly. If she puts a smiley face on every paper that doesnā€™t stay within the lines how do they learn it wasnā€™t accurate. If she put a smiley face then the child would think they did a wonderful job and not try better next time. Thatā€™s why as parents we should teach our children at home that they may get a sad face but what matters is how hard they tried!! And sit down with the child and work with them on how to stay within the lines. Donā€™t blame the teacher for doing her job!!

9 Likes

So are all these people saying this is not ok then ok with teachers not teaching students? Iā€™m so confusedā€¦ If he didnā€™t do the assignment correctly she only has smiley or sad faces to useā€¦ Would you have preferred an F? The teacher was simply showing your child they didnā€™t do what was asked of themā€¦ Sheā€™s there to teach your kidā€¦ not be their best friend or shower then in affection. If you guys donā€™t want the teacher to teach your kid you should pull your kid out and self homeschool

6 Likes

In kindergarten ? No lol like thatā€™s the year kids are to get used to going to school and settling in with ā€œteachersā€ and ā€œnew kids ā€œ and doing work in general and getting ā€œ on scheduleā€ not to color in the lines know their math and writing etc thatā€™s insane Iā€™d definitely talk to them about it and be like uhhhh can you explain why the sad face ?