Is it normal for my 2-year-old to refer to himself as "you"?

I would correct him now. So if someone ask who he is in an emergency he can say his name rather than you. It also helps with his comprehension once he learns to read.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t bring attention to it, when he says it. I would just say the correct phrase or word. :wink: he will grow out of it… for example… I have a friend who has grandkids. They live apart from each other. They face time, well when the kids would see their grandma, she would say “ hey”. Well now her name is “hey”. :wink:

I wouldn’t be concerned lol he us probably adorable. Work in teaching him his name grammar will work itself out over time. Be sure to use it around him on purpose

That’s so cute! Lol he will grow up fast enough and stop doing so enjoy it and maybe even record it…having cute videos to show when they are older is a great idea!

Omg people!!! HE’S 2! Leave him be, let him be a kid!!!
I just can’t believe what I read sometimes.
HE IS TWO!!!

1 Like

You taught it to her and knowing this you beaton half the battle know just teach her the right way ijs you got this

My son always said me…it’s good to correct him, teaching him his name…

1 Like

Try correcting with his name
Him: thats you
Mom: thats David
Just example

1 Like

Took my daughter until about 2.5/3 to understand I, me, you, mine.

Instead of saying “that’s for you” when passing him something say “that’s for ‘Tom’”

My grandson Tony used to call me Daa Nana is what my other grandkids say. I’ve 13, he finally got it right around 6yrs old. Lol sometimes it’s harder if you make a big deal out of it. Just let him figure it out. It’s cute

All is well. He will grow out of it. I had a child who referred to herself in third person. She grew out of it.

1 Like

My sons friend refers to himself that way or by his name… they 16!

He is most likely in the mirror stage it’s best to correct this now or he is going to have a hard time with school, identifying, or other things.

I would just say, “yes, that’s you, (his name)”

My daughter did the same thing correct him and he’ll eventually stop he’s two

Well my son used to call Bananas, money and lesmarrow for yesterday. I wouldn’t worry about it :heart:

You could instead of saying “that’s you” just replace “you” with the child’s name.

1 Like

My daughter did that, and yes she grew out of it. Don’t worry

Me’s, me, mine, mines, you, yous, I, I’s and every phrasing around that. Just correct it gently, most kids go through the descriptive phase 🤷

Yes. Just correct him