Is it normal for toddler boys to wear girls clothes?

It’s just another way of toddlers showing love and support to each other I guess… I am in my 40s and my younger brother is 38… His financé is tired of returning my dresses and skirts or sometimes trousers … he says they fit him better :tired_face::joy:

If he’s in an all girl household then it’s probably due to that my little brother did that he would even play with our dolls more than he would play with his cars and trucks but now he’s a typical man who is in the army it’s fine he will grow out of it or maybe he won’t

I believe growing up with big sister has a thing to do with it, because my brother played “dolls” with us and all it was my little pet shop he had no one else to man figure after have your husband do things with just him maybe buy a work shop if it bother your husband so much and show him how to play with it and pretend he’s building things it’s all a phase

My son and I dressed up yesterday. There’s nothing wrong with it!

1 Like

Yes is normal they’re just playing​:+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

My boys grew up with girls and loved dolls and whatever toy they could get ahold of boys/girls toys whatever, and now they’re all about boy stuff.

Yes, normal… it’s just clothes! Don’t make a big deal about it and let him be

My boy did it said it was the twirling in the dresses he loved x

My youngest brother has always done this

Hes a baby. Clothes are clothes. No big deal.

1 Like

Personally i wouldnt encourage it. I would redirect, but that is me. Do what your momma insticts tell you cuz there’s lots of controversy about the subject these days.

3 Likes

It never bothered me either. But it bothered my ex husband. Part of the reason he’s an ex husband. He’s a kid, let him play. (:

3 Likes

My 2 year old son loves to play in makeup with his sister and have his nails painted!! Perfectly normal and fine in our household!! Society is what assigned those things to gender!! To me these things are for anyone who wants to do them!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Sounds like your husband is not secure with his masculinity. He should work on that instead of projecting onto a child who is doing perfectly normal things.

5 Likes

My older daughter used to play dress up with my younger son. And he played along. Bow he’s almost 12. And won’t do that. It’s probably a phase. But either way, it shouldn’t matter.

Yes completely normal. My son dressed up with his sisters, played with dolls and even allowed his sisters to do his makeup and paint his nails. My son is now 15 and he’s a perfectly healthy young man that like girls, not that that matters anyway. I would love any of my children no matter what.

1 Like

My son grew up with 2 sisters too. He also played house and dolls. With dolls I believe that your teaching him to he a good daddy, and daddy doesn’t wear dresses. Mommy does. Redirect on the roll of what they are playing. Liking pink is fine. They are just colors. That’s like saying girls can’t like blue.

1 Like

Your husband needs therapy. Let your son be happy & don’t make him feel bad for enjoying clothes. Yes it is normal bc kids don’t see that clothes have genders they just like what they like.

8 Likes

Completely normal… i think it says more about grown men who have a problem with it then it does a TODDLER who thinks its fun to do what his sister does… my son is 5 and just dressed up Louisa from Encanto the other night… he loves her because she’s so strong.
He’s also ALL boy and plays with super heros, cars, dinosaurs, and lieks to dress up like Venom… he has an 8 year old sister.

5 Likes

Clothes are clothes. Young kids haven’t been influenced by societal norms enough, yet, to understand the idea of “boy clothes” and “girl clothes.” Clothes are just clothes to them. It’s also common for them to play in make up, jewelry, and any other items considered to be for a “girl.”

2 Likes

Its because his sister does it and he wants to be like her! Role models, it won’t last for ever. Pretty soon she will be annoying :rofl:

1 Like

My son used to like to put on makeup and paint his nails because he would watch my mom do it. I didn’t care but it used to make my husband mad. I didn’t care. Let him do his thing. He’s fine now. About to have his first child. Let kids be kids, they will find their way

2 Likes

I used to dress my little brother up all the time. He loved it lol!
He turned out fine. Lol

3 Likes

Don’t allow your husband to apply adult connotations and concepts to a child’s play. He’s 2.5. Your husband needs to grow up.

5 Likes

My son wouldn’t wear her regular clothes, but he played dress up with her in princess clothes…he’s 13 now and all boy!

Its a way of learning, if he was in school he would play with dolls and dress up and im 99% sure your husband did the same xx

He is good mom … tell dad dont worry .

We had 2 girls and 2 boys—they loved to play dress-up with some of their little friends, dresses on boys, etc, and they grew up Knowing their true identity! We never commented on it, they were just kids and grew up and OUT of it! They are now in their 60’s and 70’s and the girls are STILL Girls and the boys are fine adult Males! I realize in this day’s challenging atmosphere there is more concern over sex identity but I feel that if we just ignore a lot of suspiscions, let them be adventurous kids, they will out grow it and be Fine!

My son also did that and his sister is two years older. He also use to wear her crowns. He’s 9 now and doesn’t do it anymore

Completely normal and he needs to get over it

I read this much…and…yes. The answer is yes…

As a child I played with cars and trucks…fun is fun…when your a kid.

My son wanted to be a princess so my husband bought him an Elsa dress he wore it for 2 weeks and hasn’t touched it since this was years ago. He’s just a kid let them have fun if it means anything more support him :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My daughter is 9 n son is 3 she likes to put lip gloss n stuff on him but not dresses or anything like that but they do play baby’s n Barbie’s together

Also normal for them to get into mom’s high heels…lol. He will grow out of it.

My son is almost 3 and a half. He doesn’t wear his older sister’s clothes but he wants his nails painted every time that his older sisters play “nail salon”. Not sure if it’s a phase but I kinda hope so

Your husband needs to chill clothes are just clothes kids don’t know any different unless you teach them that way. And if your firm on boy clothes on boys and girl clothes on girls only then that’s jjst kind of sad in my opinion

1 Like

As long as you can see him growing out of it.

My little guy is almost 7 now but when he was 2 his favorite shoes to wear were a pair of silver slip ONS with a kitty face on them! He LOVES the color pink and rainbow colored things but he also LOVES his hot wheels and Star Wars Lego sets! Kids just like what they like. And when your big sister is your FAVORITE, you are bound to like what she likes!!! Playing dress up is a far cry from being gay. Liking “girl things” doesn’t make little boys want to have relationships with men in the future. It’s PLAYING :sunglasses: And nobody bats an eye when they see a 2 yr old girl in a Ninja Turtle or Star Wars shirt. It’s adults projecting on young minds. :+1:

5 Likes

Have you asked him why it bothers him? Society today maybe is why…
He has a right to feel how he feels, but doesn’t your child have a right to play.
Little girls wear jeans, hats, n play cowboys while playing with hot wheels n in the dirt… What’s the difference?
Let him play tea party, dress up, and with dolls…
Children deserve to play n dress up, enjoy the time you have with them…

1 Like

My sons went through a phase they liked to wear mommy’s tshirts as night gowns… Turns out… They just liked the liberating feeling of being “free” underneath. They would just have Chinese underneath but they didn’t (and still to this day) don’t like the pajamas restricting movements.
Also I’d like to add that there was a time long ago that even full grown men wore nightgowns. It’s just less restricted to walk, move, and sleep in

My daughter stripped out of her clothes at age 2 and into her 1 year old brothers tee and shorts. It was cute and funny. Totally harmless, she’s now a hormonal tween right on track.

Yes. They don’t distinguish between girl or boys clothes. That is a “learned” thing. My Grandson wanted dolls and pink things ( they ARE pretty so why wouldn’t he like them). He is now 6 and rarely pick girly stuff because as he ages he realizes the difference between what is considered “boy” and “girl”. Let him play. Let him pick whatever he wants. Eventually he will learn boy and girl differences.

My 5 year old loves my Care Bears and takes more interest on my “girly” stuff. It’s perfectly normal enough with this masculinity BS.

How do dads still think that way lol its 2022

You answered your own question…

My son at around that age love to wear his sisters disney princess dresses, hed twirl around and be so happy, his dad came home and made him feel sad, but i let him,he also loved my little ponies for a couple years …and my youngest son loved playing with mermaid barbies in the bathtub,and wear my high heels till he was like 8…fast forward they are now teenagers and dont do any of that, I just let them be kids if it makes them happy who cares really

1 Like

My 5 yr old boy loves long shirts and boxers😆 he says he’s comfy like mom😆

My older son ( yr older than his sis) has always enjoyed this too he’s now 10. He’ll happily dress up and play with his little sis. He’ll even allow her to do his makeup hair and nails…

Allowing my child to experiment and be himself has made him the great, loving ,caring role model he is today.

2 Likes

you could always get black, black goes with everything

Kids learn through play. Make believe is a part of this. Would it bother your husband if your daughter wanted to wear boys clothes? It’s all fantasy and play.
Nothing to worry over :purple_heart:

1 Like

My son up until he was about 5 still loved to play dress up in his friends princess dresses and I’ve got many many pictures of it. My dad was a man’s man and hated that he dressed up and wore high heels well Cinderella slippers :joy: things are bad enough as kids get old so let him be a little boy and wear those things he’s not hurting anyone and maybe he just wants to be like his big sister.

2 Likes

My son went through a stage like this but even if it’s not your husband should be supportive…Iv told all my kids no matter what they will be loved and supported as long as they are themselves…what if it isn’t a stage like other kids and it’s him being himself…my son out grew it but if he didn’t I’d love him anyways and dare anyone to say differently to my child…he even liked his nails painted…tell your grown husband to back up…and allow your child to be himself …now and in the future…at this time it’s play time and your child shouldn’t be judged and told things he likes with his innocence is wrong…it’s not wrong…what if and that’s not saying it’s set in stone but what if your son likes these things when he is older…would you be ok with your husbands judgement and dislike of his ( YOUR) son…

1 Like

Also depends on if there are brothers, who is closer to his age Pretty young to be worried yet. Have daddy but gin matching clothes to daddy and interact more. But not interfer with play

My son played in my make-up bc he liked the colors.
He’s all men at 20yrs old. :rofl:
Let him play with whatever.
My daughter has her own kiln.
Y’all worry about the wrong things.

2 Likes

My grandson dresses in princess dress up, I let him. The other girls are, he just wants to have fun with them

I remember when I took Alex to the thrift store when he was like 2 1/2 to go find his next temporary shoes to wear cause his lil feet were growing so fast. I showed him what size he wore and what number to look for and had told him to try on whatever he wanted. He put on anything pink and or glittery he could possibly find…even the wrong sized ones. Haha! I took photos. It was hilarious :joy: However, because the ballerina’esq type shoes that he was trying to get at the time literally were to small and did not suit the cool fall weather/coming winter I did in fact tell him he had to pick a different pair. Not to stifle his personality, but because of practicality. Lauren Zumwalt

1 Like

Definitely could just be a phase, my younger brother and I came home from trick or treating the one year I dressed as a Disney princess (about 4 or 5 years old, he was about 3) and he put the dress and my shoes on and twirled around :joy:

My son loves to wear my vintage 1950’s style headbands and he started that at about 8 and still does from time to time at 9. We support him as he thinks it’s great bc to him it’s just him being like mom and matching mom. He loves to match me so he likes to try different things like that.

My son used to walk around in my heels lol he gags when I show him the pics and videos now lol he’s 20 now lol

It’s nothing to worry about. Your husband needs to take a deep breath and quit being homophobic.

Get him clothes he can dress up in. We got ours a boys dress up set with Dr scrubs and firefighter outfit. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Maybe I’m wrong but are kids at that age even aware of “gender specific” things. And seriously, what’s wrong with it? It’s only wrong to the dad that has an issue with his son’s creative play.

3 Likes

Your husband needs to lighten up. This shouldn’t be a big deal, he’s playing dress up just like every other little kid does. Whether it’s a cape or a dress is irrelevant.

Yes my son did this.

All kids play dress up it’s fun dress up with him

Your husband best buy him some boy dress up then lmao what the hell does he expect with a young boy and older sisters ofc he’s gonna try their clothes and crap, just wait until hes sat with a full face of their makeup lol :laughing: it’s totally normal just let him be a baby and enjoy his sisters things lmao xx

Yes. Mine even put on make up as toddlers. All straight grown men. Very normal.

Yeah my brother used to try that too but my mom would just let him know they’re for girls and you don’t get everything your sisters do and vice versa!