Is it normal that my toddler acts like this toward her dad?

Our almost three year old has recently wanted nothing to do with my husband aka daddy. She will ask me where he is when’s working but then as soon as he’s home she gets upset and refuses to hug him or play with him. This is of course upsetting him. He feels like she doesn’t like him. Is this common? Any advice?

4 Likes

I’d def say it’s a phrase.
Just going off this comment, I’d say that he’s never around when SHE wants to play with him, and that makes her upset at him when she sees him later.
If I were him, I’d make it a point to play with her when I got home. And during those other times, you can say “daddy’s at work doing xyz, but he’ll play when he gets home” and maybe prompt her when it’s close to time and say “omg, daddy’s almost home from work!” Etc.
But that’s what I did when my guy worked a ton early on and my daughter would be sad and miss him and then get upset he was gone.

3 Likes

My daughter is 3 and won’t let daddy do anything for her I have to do everything she will play with him and give him a Cuddle but she didn’t for a little while daddy can leave the house no problems me on the other hand she sits on my foot and clings to my leg and tells me not to leave her :rofl::woman_facepalming: but she is fine when I’m not in the house honestly think it’s a phase

When you ask if it’s normal… what do you mean? Toddlers are go through phases, some of them strange! I would suggest that you play with daddy. You two sit on the floor and start playing whatever game she likes. See if she comes in joins. If she doesn’t, after a few minutes ask her if she would like to come play too. It may take a few times doing this before she chooses to come and play. Don’t push it. Also don’t force hugs. We don’t make our kids hug anyone us included. Take it day by day. It’ll get better

1 Like

My son is 10 and a total grandpas guy and he ever since he was little would want to see or spend time with Grandpa or Grandpa would visit and he would refuse to talk to or see grandpa because he was punishing Grandpa for being gone. So your little might be asking where Dad is, then to punish dad for being gone ignores dad when he gets home. Kids grow out of it. Mine is 10 year and doing it but he has high functioning autism so he is too smart for his own good and still does this because he thinks now he is older he can tag along all the time and that’s not the case so he still plays the punishment game.

I’d sat it’s a phase…sounds like a normal little sasshole to me!! My 2 year old is the same way with her dad but only in the morning, if he even looks at her she’s upset :rofl:

Unless there is any other indications that there may be a specific reason she doesn’t want to hang out with dad, then dont worry about it. Kids go through phases where they only want one person. Two of my kids wanted nothing to do with me if dad was around for a good 6 months. My other one was the exact opposite. As long as dad isn’t mean, neglectful or abusive then I would assume just a phase. Maybe try to play family games all of you, watch family movies all together etc and if you can, leave her with dad for an hour, check in and if its going well stay out for a bit longer to give them some bonding time.