Is it normal to have post partum 3 years after giving birth?

Is it normal to have postpartum depression three years after my son was born? I am TIRED. I’m drained. I don’t have the energy or motivation to do anything. I even feel like a bad mom at times because I don’t give my son the time he deserves. I love him more than my own life, but I’m not a perfect mom. I haven’t got dolled up since I was pregnant. I feel like my son deserves better.

15 Likes

I’m going to follow this for the fact that I’m 8 months pregnant with my second child and feel this way already about the baby inside me and my 4 year old. Postpartum depression is real…and it sucks…

2 Likes

I swear i have had it for 14 years.
Please speak to someone even your ob at a check up can help you

1 Like

I’m in the same boat. My son is three and I have not been the same since he was born.

2 Likes

Ppd is within the first year or so. This sounds like normal depression.

5 Likes

Yes…I was diagnosed with it when I got pregnant with #2 and #1 was just over 2yo.

I don’t know for sure, but my educated guess would be: probably. If you think of how whacked your hormones get and the possibility of them not returning to normal it’s possible that you still have depression as a result of the hormones getting messed up. But my advice would be to talk to your doctor.

1 Like

At that point, it would just be classified as depression… not post partum. Ask your primary care for your next step.

9 Likes

I think technically PPD is only after 18mo but it sounds like it’s still depression. Regardless of how you want to label it, please reach out for help.

3 Likes

I haven’t been the same since I found out I was pregnant with my son. And he’s a little over two. So going on three years about.

My dr told me that yes it can happen. Normally it is usually only diagnosed after 12-18 months but shes says some women can be diagnosed years later

Have your iron checked as well, I was drained like that for years after I had my kids, and finally I found a dr . Who checked my iron levels and sent me to an oncologist to give me iron injections, after that I felt so much better and was like a brand new person

Forget the primary they’ll just put you a basic anti depressant. If you can go straight to a psychiatrist. You’ll talk to them and tell them EVERYTHING and then they can find a medication that works for you!!! PS, seeing a psychiatrist doesn’t mean you’re crazy. They specialize in chemical embalance that effect moods, thoughts etc. They also treat kids with ADHD and children aren’t crazy.

2 Likes

I would go see your primary doctor and get a full blood panel done. You could have something wrong with your thyroid which is very common after pregnancy.

1 Like

If you never got treated for postpartum depression then yes absolutely you could have it even three years later. It’s not just depression, it’s because of the pregnancy and changes to your body and hormones! Go in and talk with your doctor. It’s never too late for help.

I know that everyone has his own opinion…but I was feeling so rundown lately…my youngest being 1ye and 7months…jus buy some strong vitamins…and after 2 weeks of taking them ull feel much better…dont start saying its depression jus because your always tired…your tired cause u need to take care of urself too

you should be clinically diagnosed by a physician to really call it anything. However, it’s fair to say you may be suffering from depression alone and should seek professional advice.

1 Like

I still have it 6 years later

Won’t be considered ppd but normal depression.

1 Like

Untreated PPD will just morph into regular depression. I have an almost 4 1/2 year old and most days are hard for me, I’m buried in negative self talk, feel like a failure, and have major anxiety issues.

Pregnancy can screw your hormones up. Then if the problem isn’t dealt with, it can get worse. So, basically, yes.

I can take years for you for body to re adjust its hormones

Hormone imbalance which causes fatigue & depression. That was my problem.

Just wondering…can you get PPD/PND regarding 1st child when you have a 2nd child?

Can go to a Pysch, but I’d also recommend getting your vitamins checked and thyroid full panel

Once you hit the 12 month mark its generally no longer considered post partum depression but rather chronic depression.
It is still just as serious and still just as important to get treated.

1 Like

Post partum depression kicks in within 12 months of giving birth.

If you get depression after 12 months, its regular depression, not postpartum depression. It’s just as serious and can have just as much of an effect on your life, its just that post pregnancy hormones are not playing a part in it anymore.

1 Like

Yes I got on antidepressants and it helps alot my son is almost 2

Yes. If you leave it untreated.
I was diagnosed when my son was 4

No. But it is not abnormal to be depressed with any life stressor. Find a therapist & talk to him/her
Also have blood work done so everything else can be ruled out

Yes yes yes.
I never even knew I had post partum with my first born, it was at least 3 years before I started truly bouncing back.
Thank goodness I realized what was happening, it was scary not knowing why I felt and thought such awful things.
I’m 9 months post partum now with my daughter, it was SO MUCH easier this time around knowing what to expect.
Those damn hormones hit us all differently. Some moms never miss a beat after giving birth.
I didn’t even brush my hair for months lol

Reach out to your dr.
Meds are up to you.
I got on celexa and it was GREAT, however having to stop taking it after I got pregnant again was VERY HARD on me mentally. I don’t wish depression med detox on anyone.
Personally, I just tried like hell to do the little things that mattered to me again. Weather it was reading a book, or taking a candle lit bath, you really do have to focus on self care

Maybe you’re at your “blue days”. Don’t be so hard on yourself, everything will be fine. Talk to whoever is close to you and remember to always ask for help

Postpartum can turn into refular depression. I had postpartum with both my kids and I got treated for it at the time. But I also had other life crap going on that adds to my depression and anxiety i have now.

If your on birth control that may be the issue

That’s not post partum that’s depression

Yes yes yes. Especially if it goes untreated
I never even knew I had post partum with my first born, it was at least 3 years before I started truly bouncing back.
Thank goodness I realized what was happening, it was scary not knowing why I felt and thought such awful things.
I’m 9 months post partum now with my daughter, it was SO MUCH easier this time around knowing what to expect.
Those damn hormones hit us all differently. Some moms never miss a beat after giving birth.
I didn’t even brush my hair for months lol

Reach out to your dr.
Meds are up to you.
I got on celexa and it was GREAT, however having to stop taking it after I got pregnant again was VERY HARD on me mentally. I don’t wish depression med detox on anyone.
Personally, I just tried like hell to do the little things that mattered to me again. Weather it was reading a book, or taking a candle lit bath, you really do have to focus on self care

Get your Thyroid checked for Hashimoto’s very common after child birth. 1 out of 3 women have a thyroid disorder and go many years without being diagnosed or misdiagnosed. Look up Hashimoto’s symptoms.
Wishing you good Health :heart:

It is definitely normal to always feel like you could do more. I still feel this way and I have 3 ages 15-23. I do agree that you may need to seek help/guidance in getting your self esteem and confidence back. But know that I am sure your kid loves you more than anything in the world. Hang in there. Parenting is not easy and there is no “how to” book. I am sure you more than worth it!

1 Like

After my pregnancy was when my dr realized I have hypothyroidism or hashimoto’s disease. It makes you feel exhausted all the time. It’s not something you can control. Have your levels checked

I think its depression. It’s common to develop depression please talk to a psychiatrist/therapist it will help you

Not necessarily postpartum depression, at this point I’d just call it depression. Speak to your NP for help and resources

3 Likes

I feel like this so often. One thing to do is check iron levels. When mine get low I get very unmotivated leading me to be depressed also its winter take vit d supplements

Definitely sounds like depression. Maybe talk to your doctor about Prozac. It helped me!

1 Like

See your dr and have some bloodwork done. Especially your thyroid levels.

Have your thyroid checked as well

1 Like

it may be something else. talk to your Doctor!

Go to the doc I delt with the same thing turned out my vitamin D levels were extremely